Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 AM #904
cameron122000
*714*

cameron122000 helped look for balloons
cameron122000 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
Some of you cycle, don't you? Dan and Jeff at least, right?

I'm looking to buy a bike to commute to work. Any ideas as to where I should start?
I don't know how the roads are where you live, so it depends. When I live in Tacoma, I ride a road bike. If you live in an area where the roads aren't too good, you might want to look into a light mountain bike or a "commuter-style" bike. The commuter bikes usually look like road bikes with higher handlebars (so you sit up more than lean forward) and larger tires.

My advice is to go to a local bike shop and ask for advice. Better is to go to multiple and ask. You don't necessarily have to buy from them, but they'll be able to fit you so you get the right size bike and better guide you to brands/models that fit your price and use.

The local bike shop is now one of my favorite places to go and hang out besides the barber shop.

ST:Tech - waitwut.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 AM #905
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
toolbandfan is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdean100 View Post
You drive a 300 right? At least get a beater for when you need to go to the store, go on a trip, get someplace faster than your bike, go farther than 10 miles, etc... Something small, cheap, and reliable shouldn't be too bad to insure, and maintenance won't be bad since it won't be a DD. Plus I bet that 300 is a ***** to insure at your age, plus the cost of gas, and pos chrysler's are always a ***** on maintenance.

I nearly make money just from owning a vehicle, but there's some difference with me compared to most drivers.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 AM #906
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by *knock-out05* View Post
Whats your budget broseph?
Probably under 800 bucks.
Quote:
You drive a 300 right? At least get a beater for when you need to go to the store, go on a trip, get someplace faster than your bike, go farther than 10 miles, etc... Something small, cheap, and reliable shouldn't be too bad to insure, and maintenance won't be bad since it won't be a DD. Plus I bet that 300 is a ***** to insure at your age, plus the cost of gas, and pos chrysler's are always a ***** on maintenance.
I have a CTS right now. It's really not bad on gas or insurance, but it's just everything together that takes up a lot of my income. 120 on Insurance, 200 on gas, 75 on oil changes, tires, etc.

I'm not great with cars either, so if something gets ****ed, I have no idea what to do about it lol. But I may get something just for emergency, idk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron122000 View Post
I don't know how the roads are where you live, so it depends. When I live in Tacoma, I ride a road bike. If you live in an area where the roads aren't too good, you might want to look into a light mountain bike or a "commuter-style" bike. The commuter bikes usually look like road bikes with higher handlebars (so you sit up more than lean forward) and larger tires.

My advice is to go to a local bike shop and ask for advice. Better is to go to multiple and ask. You don't necessarily have to buy from them, but they'll be able to fit you so you get the right size bike and better guide you to brands/models that fit your price and use.

The local bike shop is now one of my favorite places to go and hang out besides the barber shop.
Yeah I think I'm gonna go this week and talk to someone. I don't know brands or anything but I was looking at Trek 7.2's and similar bikes. They seem like what I would need, but then again, I am a nub.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 AM #907
randomdean100

Quote:
I have a CTS right now. It's really not bad on gas or insurance, but it's just everything together that takes up a lot of my income. 120 on Insurance, 200 on gas, 75 on oil changes, tires, etc.

I'm not great with cars either, so if something gets ****ed, I have no idea what to do about it lol. But I may get something just for emergency, idk.
Eh, I'd still just want something more substantial than a bike as my only means of getting places. I'd get a beater honda or some other cheap easy to fix 4-banger. they're not hard to learn at all, and if you do need to take it to a shop parts are usually cheap/not very labor intensive to replace.

If your bike is your main mode of transport cut that gas cost in half or more, oil changes will only need done every 3 months(it's only 20 bucks to do it yourself so like 7 bucks a month on oil changes averaged), not much wear on tires and other parts as well so those are minor longterm costs, even though they may suck in the short term if something goes wrong.
PBN modsquad - lols for brains

Purdue jersey and more F/S
Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 AM #908
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Tornado watch, sweet.

I should have just skipped my classes this morning, no one showed up anyway
Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 PM #909
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 PM #910
toolbandfan
The dude abides

Uh, if you spend $200 a month on gas, how would you really be able to have a bike as the only means of transport?

But yeah, if you don't fix or do anything yourself, unless your car is just in tip top shape as it is, a car will be expensive for you.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM #911
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

He drives three blocks over to the convenience store a lot.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM #912
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Oedipus supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbandfan View Post
Uh, if you spend $200 a month on gas, how would you really be able to have a bike as the only means of transport?
Assuming he's paying 3.50 for a gallon and his CTS does 16 mpg on average, he's driving over 900 miles a month.

That's a lot of trips to the liquor store.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:02 PM #913
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

My car actually gets nearly 20 on average. I travel a lot for paintball, trips with friends, etc. The plan is to cut out all of the unnecessary driving and depend more on local business.

I will also have the bus to ride, friends I can pay for rides, or taxis.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM #914
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Quote:
My car actually gets nearly 20 on average. I travel a lot for paintball, trips with friends, etc. The plan is to cut out all of the unnecessary driving and depend more on local business.

Ok, then it's over 1100 miles assuming you're paying 3.50.

Good luck with that change.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:15 PM #915
toolbandfan
The dude abides

Yeah I'd just suck it up and keep driving. Relying on public transport where I live would basically mean getting up 2 hours earlier just to get to work on time.

Aren't you still renting out your house?

Last edited by toolbandfan : 01-29-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 PM #916
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Yeah, I am. 2 roommates currently.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 PM #917
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

The whole reason I'm wanting to go with a bike is because I'm getting water in my oil, so I'm trying to jump ship, but I don't really want to get another car.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:43 PM #918
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Quote:
The whole reason I'm wanting to go with a bike is because I'm getting water in my oil, so I'm trying to jump ship, but I don't really want to get another car.
So, is it a leaky head gasket? I'm sure it wont be a cheap fix, but it sounds like the lesser evil if you really burn $200 a month in gas.

Quote:

Devils advocate time, friend.

1. If you travel a lot for paintball and with friends, I assume you do a good amount of the driving? What makes you think that your friends will pick up the slack when you trade in your caddy for a bike? Would you be willing to travel less, and potentially far less depending on how useless your friends/teammates are, for paintball and with friends?

2. There's a reason why you don't go to local businesses now and instead spend gas money to go elsewhere. I don't know what that reason is, but it must be a pretty good one.

3. I'm sure the buses in Canton are just lovely. Here in Fresno, I don't use the buses in part because I don't have a CCW. I'm serious.

4. I hope you have good friends that will be willing to tote you around. Most people put on their yamakas hard core when it comes down to driving other people around, even for a fee. That fee part can get tricky, too.

5. If you use taxis a lot, you will find that it was cheaper to have a car.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 PM #919
Decption-Clay
Oldballs Clay

trade in your POS caddy, and get a ****ing toyota.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 PM #920
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oedipus View Post
So, is it a leaky head gasket? I'm sure it wont be a cheap fix, but it sounds like the lesser evil if you really burn $200 a month in gas.

Devils advocate time, friend.

1. If you travel a lot for paintball and with friends, I assume you do a good amount of the driving? What makes you think that your friends will pick up the slack when you trade in your caddy for a bike? Would you be willing to travel less, and potentially far less depending on how useless your friends/teammates are, for paintball and with friends?

2. There's a reason why you don't go to local businesses now and instead spend gas money to go elsewhere. I don't know what that reason is, but it must be a pretty good one.

3. I'm sure the buses in Canton are just lovely. Here in Fresno, I don't use the buses in part because I don't have a CCW. I'm serious.

4. I hope you have good friends that will be willing to tote you around. Most people put on their yamakas hard core when it comes down to driving other people around, even for a fee. That fee part can get tricky, too.

5. If you use taxis a lot, you will find that it was cheaper to have a car.
Here are my options... Repair my car or sell my car. I'm not going to put 2k of repairs in a car with 120k+ miles, so I'm selling it. Going to do my best to get around 4k - 5k. From there I can either buy a car or find an alternative. The alternative is ridiculously cheap compared to buying another car.

I'm not worried about getting to places. The only place that I am required to be at is work, which is a 5 minute drive from home, maybe a 15 minute bike ride. It has a shower in the bathroom. This is why I am considering a bike.

I could care less if I have to stop playing paintball, so that argument is irrelevant.

If my friends want to hang out, they can come to me just as I have to them for many years.

I don't go to local businesses because they aren't big chain stores that have cheaper prices and wider selections.

I have no problem saving hundreds from not having a car and spending maybe 10% more on more expensive products.

Riding the bus is not an issue, to me.

I most likely won't use a taxi, ever, but it's an option.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM #921
toolbandfan
The dude abides

Besides one guy wearing a Halloween mask a week before Halloween while screaming at a jewelery ad on the bus stop, my bus riding experiences have been mostly safe.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 PM #922
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Fx your head gasket yourself. If my dumb *** can do it, anyone can.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 PM #923
randomdean100

Quote:
Here are my options... Repair my car or sell my car. I'm not going to put 2k of repairs in a car with 120k+ miles, so I'm selling it. Going to do my best to get around 4k - 5k. From there I can either buy a car or find an alternative. The alternative is ridiculously cheap compared to buying another car.
The alternative is also ridiculously impractical for your lifestyle. You're not just talking about changing mode of transportation, you're talking a huge lifestyle change by choosing to use a bike and public transportation, especially being that you don't live smack dab in the middle of a big city like chicago or new york. And look around on Cl you can find a decent DD for ~2-3 grand, about what your repair would have been anyway. Just take your time and look hard.
PBN modsquad - lols for brains

Purdue jersey and more F/S
Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 PM #924
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Quote:
The alternative is also ridiculously impractical for your lifestyle. You're not just talking about changing mode of transportation, you're talking a huge lifestyle change by choosing to use a bike and public transportation, especially being that you don't live smack dab in the middle of a big city like chicago or new york. And look around on Cl you can find a decent DD for ~2-3 grand, about what your repair would have been anyway. Just take your time and look hard.
A DD...

2-3K
Plates $75/yr
4 oil changes $200/yr
Insurance $600/yr
Gas $1200/yr
Tires $400/2yr
Random maintenance $???/yr

vs

Bike $500/once
Sweat $0

Riding a bike isn't a permanent decision, not like I can't go back to owning a car. Prolly try it for the summer anyhow.
Closed Thread