PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 03:10 PM #1114
teen
[]D [] []v[] []D

is there any advantage/disadvantage to aftermarket headers on a 600?

im not doing it for power, but im determined to get this bike to sound mean. its not gunna happen with the cat left in place. so my options are leave stock headers in place, cut the cat and have someone weld a midpipe in... or, new headers which already have the mid pipe. and then from either route i take with that put a slip-on on.

someone local was giving me some bs that headers from the factory are like imprinted or something where they mount to the engine, and if you go aftermarket, it never really seals the same. any truth to this?
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2013, 03:12 PM #1115
lowbudgethero
Boomer

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by teen View Post
is there any advantage/disadvantage to aftermarket headers on a 600?

im not doing it for power, but im determined to get this bike to sound mean. its not gunna happen with the cat left in place. so my options are leave stock headers in place, cut the cat and have someone weld a midpipe in... or, new headers which already have the mid pipe. and then from either route i take with that put a slip-on on.

someone local was giving me some bs that headers from the factory are like imprinted or something where they mount to the engine, and if you go aftermarket, it never really seals the same. any truth to this?
no, unless there is no gasket, which i doubt
Old 03-15-2013, 03:50 PM #1116
teen
[]D [] []v[] []D

thanks. id really like some more input on headers though.. the one im looking to purchase is mandrel bent and ceramic coated. i know mandrel bent is ideal, but im not sure if ceramic coated is what i should be looking for?

vs say stainless steel. which is what you get when you purchase a yoshi/ m4 full exhaust.

Last edited by teen : 03-15-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 PM #1117
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teen View Post
thanks. id really like some more input on headers though.. the one im looking to purchase is mandrel bent and ceramic coated. i know mandrel bent is ideal, but im not sure if ceramic coated is what i should be looking for?
ceramic coated would give you zero extra horsepowers
Old 03-15-2013, 04:32 PM #1118
cynicalrider
robert paulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post

because you go anywhere do anything
Need need need.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"

ST:A - Not your Myspace Blog.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 PM #1119
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXinpayneXx View Post
Lower top speed.

It's a dirtbike...
No, its not a dirtbike, or a dualsport; wr250x is a supermoto, wr250r is a dual sport.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 PM #1120
Ly$ol (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter View Post

No, its not a dirtbike, or a dualsport; wr250x is a supermoto, wr250r is a dual sport.
Lol. Just stop
Old 03-15-2013, 10:04 PM #1121
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
He's right, and their differences are pretty substantial.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 PM #1122
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

All done! Brakes work and my electrical system works and the bike turns over fine. Now all I have to do is add coolant, oil, fuel, tighten my chain then install my plastics and lights and I'll be out enjoying the day on 2 wheels tomorrow.

Also, doing the zip-tie glued to the throttle tube mod to shorten the throw of the throttle is the best thing I've done to this bike so far. That may change when I try hitting my front brakes, 'cuz I switched from 13 year old OEM stuff to a SS front line and EBC HH pads.

About the only thing I dislike about the Speigler line is it blocks the bleeder screw. I can't completely slide my hose onto the screw to bleed my brakes, nor can I get a flare nut wrench on it, so I had to use a standard open ended wrench, which is sketchy. It made bleeding the fronts a mess and it leaked fluid all over my tire and wheel. Is there a longer bleeder screw I can get ahold of to avoid this mess?

Last edited by Milky Spore : 03-15-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 PM #1123
BunkerNinja

BunkerNinja is a Supporting Member
oil changed, brakes bled, chain done. tomorrow should be a good day
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 PM #1124
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ly$ol View Post
Lol. Just stop
Who allowed you in here?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:14 AM #1125
Ly$ol (Banned)

Al Gore. You?
Old 03-16-2013, 05:12 AM #1126
greaseball
CZ master race

$50 a month for a ninja 250 sound right to you guys? sounds alittle high to me.
EDIT $50 a month for insurance.

Last edited by greaseball : 03-16-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 AM #1127
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Spore

All done! Brakes work and my electrical system works and the bike turns over fine. Now all I have to do is add coolant, oil, fuel, tighten my chain then install my plastics and lights and I'll be out enjoying the day on 2 wheels tomorrow.

Also, doing the zip-tie glued to the throttle tube mod to shorten the throw of the throttle is the best thing I've done to this bike so far. That may change when I try hitting my front brakes, 'cuz I switched from 13 year old OEM stuff to a SS front line and EBC HH pads.

About the only thing I dislike about the Speigler line is it blocks the bleeder screw. I can't completely slide my hose onto the screw to bleed my brakes, nor can I get a flare nut wrench on it, so I had to use a standard open ended wrench, which is sketchy. It made bleeding the fronts a mess and it leaked fluid all over my tire and wheel. Is there a longer bleeder screw I can get ahold of to avoid this mess?
I replaced the throttle assembly on my old 250 with an R6 throttle. It had a much shorter turn. It made a huge difference in the responsiveness of the bike. Great mod. Probably kept me riding it for a year longer than I would have otherwise. And actually proved to be a pretty good selling feature.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:11 AM #1128
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseball
$50 a month for a ninja 250 sound right to you guys? sounds alittle high to me.
EDIT $50 a month for insurance.
Depends. How old are you? What are the coverages? And what's your driving record look like? Do you drive like a D-bag and treat public roads like your own personal test track?

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:17 AM #1129
BunkerNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerNinja View Post
oil changed, brakes bled, chain done. tomorrow should be a good day
nm, cold front
Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 AM #1130
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
Sucks to be you. 75 degrees here today.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:12 AM #1131
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/3684168918.html

Sweet deal in my area. Trying to talk my little brother into it. He's been riding a Ninja 250 for about 2 years.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:16 AM #1132
BunkerNinja

that thing is in beautiful shape
Old 03-16-2013, 12:00 PM #1133
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybhall View Post
I replaced the throttle assembly on my old 250 with an R6 throttle. It had a much shorter turn. It made a huge difference in the responsiveness of the bike. Great mod. Probably kept me riding it for a year longer than I would have otherwise. And actually proved to be a pretty good selling feature.
I've heard about that one. Maybe I'll try it and see if it gets shorter. However, the zip tie works great. Also, I had a zip tie and super glue lying around and not an R6 tube, which is why I went that route.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:44 PM #1134
Diametunim

Diametunim owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
That's a clean SV, wish I could find a deal like that around here. Just got back from my first long ride yesterday. I rode down to Austin on the KLR from Fortworth using only back roads. Something like 330 miles going down to Austin and 400 miles on the way back to Fortworth.

The KLR is actually pretty comfortable for about an hour and a half and then your *** starts to hurt and it's all downhill from there. Damn thing burns quite a bit of oil at high RPMs too.
Closed Thread