Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 PM #85
tex_mania
BSA Support

tex_mania plays in the PSP
tex_mania owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tex_mania plays in the APPA D4 division
The seat height on cruisers is definitely lower. But Harley's are gonna be a bit pricy, especially for a first bike. I got a deal on mine used at $5000, but I've seen vulcans under $3000 on c-list. Look at the Suzuki boulevards, kawasaki vulcans, and Honda rebels and shadows. The Honda rebel is a cruiser style bike with a low seat height, and they can be found used for around $1000 usually. But at 5'8", 5'9", you should be ok on a ninja 250 as well. Depends on your inseam.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 PM #86
Naumoff42
Keyboard Warrior

Naumoff42 donated to help Peyton Trent
Naumoff42 supports DLX Technology
My inseam is about 30-31. I guess I just don't feel that i'd need as much of a foot plant on a more sporty bike than on a harley which weights around 200lbs more.

Let me buy your Philly Luxe

DaLuxe Mob

Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 PM #87
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

-You are more than tall enough to flat foot a ninja 250 with ease.
-you don't need to flat foot the bike anyway
-especially one as light as the ninja 250. (a harley will way 2-3x as much.)
-I'm begging you not to buy a cruiser of any sort.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

"Originally posted by drunkkoala: does that make sense to you? u ****ing idiot."
Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 PM #88
Naumoff42
Keyboard Warrior

Thank you. That's exactly what I thought too but he grew up on cruisers so that's all he knows and I can't really argue with no experience. I figured i'd just go into a shop with him and look at a couple and have a sales guy tell him the same thing that I was thinking. I really didn't want a cruiser style of bike. Just not really my taste I guess.

Does anyone know of a decent model of dirtbike I could search for and buy for really cheap though? I don't have any riding experience at all so I figured before I take the MSF classes in the summer I could pick up a cheap dirtbike and practice at home for awhile first.

DaLuxe Mob

Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 PM #89
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

You don't want a Harley right now anyways.... they're having to run pretty hot with stock equipment to meet EPA regulations... I'm betting that in 2014 even the twin cams will be liquid cooled unless they come out with a new motor.

Look at a TTR-125, or KLX140... something like that. You don't want to learn how to ride a motorcycle on a motocross bike.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM #90
cynicalrider
robert paulson

cynicalrider owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cynicalrider owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
cynicalrider is for the Gunfight
cynicalrider supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4literranger485 View Post
it's a new alloy, get with the times.

BTW that doesn't look remotely legal. no license light, bent plate all to whack. me sees fix it tickets in the future
Never had an issue. And you ****ers knew what I meant.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"

ST:A - Not your Myspace Blog.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 PM #91
4literranger485
xtreme noob

4literranger485 supports Team VICIOUS
4literranger485 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naumoff42 View Post
Thank you. That's exactly what I thought too but he grew up on cruisers so that's all he knows and I can't really argue with no experience. I figured i'd just go into a shop with him and look at a couple and have a sales guy tell him the same thing that I was thinking. I really didn't want a cruiser style of bike. Just not really my taste I guess.

Does anyone know of a decent model of dirtbike I could search for and buy for really cheap though? I don't have any riding experience at all so I figured before I take the MSF classes in the summer I could pick up a cheap dirtbike and practice at home for awhile first.
DR-Z400!!!!!! I'm also 5'9" and have had zero issues with seat height on many bikes from sportbikes, supermoto, dirtbike, cruiser, etc. Personally I see a cruiser as a bad choice for a first bike. They handle slow, they turn slow, they stop slow, the ninja 250 would be a way better platform to learn motorcycle riding skills with.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 PM #92
Naumoff42
Keyboard Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter View Post
You don't want a Harley right now anyways.... they're having to run pretty hot with stock equipment to meet EPA regulations... I'm betting that in 2014 even the twin cams will be liquid cooled unless they come out with a new motor.

Look at a TTR-125, or KLX140... something like that. You don't want to learn how to ride a motorcycle on a motocross bike.
Not even with basics like the clutch and everything? I just don't know how else I'd be able to practice before going into the courses.

DaLuxe Mob

Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 PM #93
tex_mania
BSA Support

tex_mania plays in the PSP
tex_mania plays in the APPA D4 division
You don't need to practice going to the course. They literally start you from ground zero. It's cake. If you can ride a bicycle, you can go to MSF course 1 and learn to ride.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 PM #94
B-RADD
Sassy

Ugly duck you still have those ninja 250 parts for sale?

Flashing lights against the sky
Giving up, I close my eyes

Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 AM #95
automagwarrior

has been a member for 10 years
automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
My inseam is about 30-31. I guess I just don't feel that i'd need as much of a foot plant on a more sporty bike than on a harley which weights around 200lbs more.
You will have no problem getting your foot down on a Ninja. It will be 100x easier to handle than an Harley, regardless of the lower seat height. Even though the seat is lower your supporting an extra 350 pounds with your legs, and contrary to what most people believe the most comfortable and natural way to ride a motorcycle is with your feet below you and your arms at a slight angle, not on your tailbone with your feet in front of you stretched out.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 AM #96
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

Quote:
Not even with basics like the clutch and everything? I just don't know how else I'd be able to practice before going into the courses.
When he says motocross bikes he is talking about the big tall offroad racing machines. They are a bit different from the ttr-125 he is recommending. If you take the msf they will start you from a crawl, so no worries there. A small dirtbike is an awesome way to build your skills regardless though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-RADD View Post
Ugly duck you still have those ninja 250 parts for sale?
I have an ex250J shock (stiffer, fresher, preload adjustable, bolts right up to pre 08 bikes), woodcraft rearsets, woodcraft lowered risers, and a small mountain of stock parts
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

"Originally posted by drunkkoala: does that make sense to you? u ****ing idiot."
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 AM #97
AABanned

AABanned is playing at Living Legends VI
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
AABanned supports Pev's Paintball
AABanned has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Early to mid 2000s 2-stroke 125. Any brand, except ktm.

If you end up getting a dirtbike, bring it out to a track and I can help you out with technique and basic skills.

Quote:
Don't even bother with a trail bike that would be something a 10 year old should be on.

I see no issue with learning on a dirtbike.

Last edited by AABanned : 01-15-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 AM #98
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AABanned View Post

Don't even bother with a trail bike that would be something a 10 year old should be on.

I see no issue with learning on a dirtbike.
Spoken like a person with little to no experience on race bikes.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 AM #99
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
well, I feel like he's just putputted on a race bike and not even learned and appreciated how easily you can **** yourself on one
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 AM #100
AABanned

Quote:
I've been riding about two and a half years. My scrawny 6' 1", 135lbs self learned on a 250f. And I see kids that are 5' 6" and 110lbs that do just fine on 250f's. I've only had one crash that left me with an injury bad enough to not ride, but it was because of the jump not what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
well, I feel like he's just putputted on a race bike and not even learned and appreciated how easily you can **** yourself on one
Lawl, if only that was true. I'm not an A rider, so I'm not riding the wheels off my bike and pushing it to its limits. But, I certainly don't putt around the track. I understand the potential my bike has and understand that I'm not able to use it to it's full potential. Very few people ride them to their fullest.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out you can go from good to dead on a dirtbike in a second or two. I can feel when I'm pushing myself passed my limit where I have total control of what goes on. I rarely like to do that, I like to stay upright and out of the hospital.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 AM #101
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You don't need any prior experience riding anything to take the MSF course. The course caters to people with that exact background.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:51 AM #102
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AABanned View Post
I've been riding about two and a half years. My scrawny 6' 1", 135lbs self learned on a 250f. And I see kids that are 5' 6" and 110lbs that do just fine on 250f's. I've only had one crash that left me with an injury bad enough to not ride, but it was because of the jump not what I did.

Lawl, if only that was true. I'm not an A rider, so I'm not riding the wheels off my bike and pushing it to its limits. But, I certainly don't putt around the track. I understand the potential my bike has and understand that I'm not able to use it to it's full potential. Very few people ride them to their fullest.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out you can go from good to dead on a dirtbike in a second or two. I can feel when I'm pushing myself passed my limit where I have total control of what goes on. I rarely like to do that, I like to stay upright and out of the hospital.
Good for you, I've been riding for 12 years, most of them on motocross bikes, and have the scars and boxes of trophies and plaques from series races to prove it. Two stroke race bikes are not the bikes to learn how to ride a motorcycle on. If he can even get one moving, he will find out in a hurry what it's like to fall off of one; even these radical new junky 4 strokes are not something he needs to be learning on either. The power to weight ratio makes these bikes tons more powerful than even some of the 600CC super sports off of the showroom floor.

He needs to learn on a mild bike, with an easy going powerband, whether that be an aircooled thumper or a ninja 250.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM #103
Dk-79
SCHWING!

Some lessons cant' be learned from words on the internet.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM #104
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

For a first time dirt bike I would pick a 1990 Honda XR200. It's the best! Seat height is manageable for nearly any adult, the engine is great with a 6 speed transmission, nothing crazy and easily controlled, yet it has plenty of power for a beginner sitting around 18hp. The 1990 was the best year because the suspension is adjustable in the front and rear. Also, resale will be excellent. If you find the right deal you could easily make money. These bikes cannot be killed. Ive hung with some (not so great) riders on 250F race machines on the 1990 XR200. I transitioned to this bike from an XR100 when I was 13, for a mere 2 hours. Then my moms boyfriend felt I would be okay on the YZ400F. I used to take the XR out every now and then cuz it's fun to beat on. About the only downsides are its a bit heavy for what it is and drum brakes terrify me now after I was spoiled with discs on race machines. I was actually shocked at how bad drums were after not riding a bike with them for some years. I overshot the corner.

Last edited by Milky Spore : 01-15-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM #105
AABanned

Inadequate brakes and outdated/poor suspension is a disaster waiting to happen for a beginner. And, I don't see why people think the power band on a 2-stroke is like hitting a nitro button and tripling the power.

I'd let Naumoff ride my bike, in fact if he's willing to come out to a track I will. I guarantee he'd be ok on it, even if he just putts around(who hasn't their first time on a bike?).

Last edited by AABanned : 01-15-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Closed Thread