Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 AM #421
zoink
cats cats cats

zoink is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyDuckGizmo View Post
Zoink on here had an xb and liked it so much i think he got another recently?

I'd lose my license on a damn 1125. Fast, and the handling on those bikes is about the most intuitive feeling ive experienced on a motorcycle.
Ya, have a 12sst. XBs are fantastic bikes. Definitely have a few flaws as far as the powerplant is concerned (mostly tranny), but I honestly think that they have the perfect power output for street riding. Nice short powerband and buttloads of torque. Definitely recommend the 12 though. The 9s are nice and smooth, probably better suited to beginner, but the 12s have so much grunt and are a blast to ride.

If you think the 1125 had good handling, you should do yourself a favor and ride an xb. The firebolt is definitely the best handling bike I've ever ridden.
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 AM #422
lowbudgethero
Boomer

has been a member for 10 years
is it weird that i prefer relatively skinny tire motorcycles for turn initiation/feel
Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 AM #423
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXinpayneXx View Post
Shut your face!!

Ha

abs would have saved me a lot of pain over the years granted I wouldn't be near the rider I am now. Now I'm a beast at braking. Also you can't back it in with abs and that Is one of my favorite pastimes.

I have been pretty worried though it's been almost 6 months since I've actually ridden... I feel like I probably forgot how! I took the r6 out down the road and back since I live in the middle of no where but that's it. :/

I have a terrible feeling I'm no where near the rider I used to be.
it'll come back...just gotta get your head back in it
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

"Originally posted by drunkkoala: does that make sense to you? u ****ing idiot."
Old 02-01-2013, 02:15 PM #424
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyDuckGizmo View Post
Zoink on here had an xb and liked it so much i think he got another recently?

I'd lose my license on a damn 1125. Fast, and the handling on those bikes is about the most intuitive feeling ive experienced on a motorcycle.
That's what I've heard. The weight distribution makes it very cooperative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoink View Post
Ya, have a 12sst. XBs are fantastic bikes. Definitely have a few flaws as far as the powerplant is concerned (mostly tranny), but I honestly think that they have the perfect power output for street riding. Nice short powerband and buttloads of torque. Definitely recommend the 12 though. The 9s are nice and smooth, probably better suited to beginner, but the 12s have so much grunt and are a blast to ride.

If you think the 1125 had good handling, you should do yourself a favor and ride an xb. The firebolt is definitely the best handling bike I've ever ridden.
That's what I was thinking as well. I don't really want to drop under the 100hp mark. Can you tell me what the transmission issues are? Are we talking dead 2nd gear, clutch, or something else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyshome13 View Post
What's up guys, I have been in the market for a motorcycle for the past few months and I have decided on a ninja 300 as my first bike. Plan on just learning with it and just driving around town and to work this summer. I was just wondering if it was worth getting the abs model or should I not worry about it? Hopefully will have it in march and will be comfortable ridding when it warms up.

Thanks for the help guys!
In the short term ABS will help your survivability, but learning how to properly control your bike is a priority. Practicing hard braking is something you should do as soon as you can under the supervision of an experienced rider. This includes the rear brake, front brake, and downshifting. This skill could save your life.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:30 PM #425
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
I was talking with a friend and he is having a Harley built by a friend of his that has a shop here in Grand Rapids, MI and we walked around and I got a link to the shop there is high quality bikes put out by this shop. I'm somewhat jealous of the Harley my fiend is having built.

this is the builders site
http://chopperdan.us/portfolio.html

and this is the bike I liked the most personally

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 PM #426
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
In the short term ABS will help your survivability, but learning how to properly control your bike is a priority. Practicing hard braking is something you should do as soon as you can under the supervision of an experienced rider. This includes the rear brake, front brake, and downshifting. This skill could save your life.
well put
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

"Originally posted by drunkkoala: does that make sense to you? u ****ing idiot."
Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM #427
zoink
cats cats cats

Quote:
That's what I was thinking as well. I don't really want to drop under the 100hp mark. Can you tell me what the transmission issues are? Are we talking dead 2nd gear, clutch, or something else?
It's just old school, man. Tranny is 5 speed, clunky, loud. Motor is chattery and air cooled. Works just great, and not a big enough deal to scare anyone away I would hope, it's just noticeably different than anything else that it competes with.

What do you need 100hp for?
Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM #428
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cause it's fun
Old 02-01-2013, 03:07 PM #429
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoink View Post
It's just old school, man. Tranny is 5 speed, clunky, loud. Motor is chattery and air cooled. Works just great, and not a big enough deal to scare anyone away I would hope, it's just noticeably different than anything else that it competes with.

What do you need 100hp for?
The combination of highway riding and needing to pull out from a stop to a 60mph road with heavy traffic daily makes the sub-100hp bikes (namely non-FI 600's) a bit underpowered. I'm not into stunts or the kind of riding that gets you in trouble with police but I'd rather have the power and not need it, especially with my girlfriend on the back.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM #430
zoink
cats cats cats

wat. a carb'd 600 will blow the doors off 95% of the cars on the road. Maybe you don't have an accurate understanding of how fast most bikes actually are?

An sv650 makes 70 hp and runs the quarter in the 12's, 0-60 in 3.5.
Ninja 250 makes 30 hp and runs the quarter in the 15's, 0-60 in 5.5.
A stock honda civic runs the quarter in the 17's, 0-60 in 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagwarrior View Post
cause it's fun
well yea, just seems like a strange benchmark to set when searching for a bike.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM #431
cynicalrider
robert paulson

cynicalrider owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cynicalrider owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
cynicalrider is for the Gunfight
cynicalrider supports Pev's Paintball
Not to mention if you want a touch more torque than stock you can always go bigger in the rear.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"

ST:A - Not your Myspace Blog.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:23 PM #432
WGP>You27k
_____

Damn, pretty crazy to see all you old school PBNers in here.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:23 PM #433
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
The combination of highway riding and needing to pull out from a stop to a 60mph road with heavy traffic daily makes the sub-100hp bikes (namely non-FI 600's) a bit underpowered. I'm not into stunts or the kind of riding that gets you in trouble with police but I'd rather have the power and not need it, especially with my girlfriend on the back.
Lol, I need a bike with about as much hp as a 90s honda civic because I need to merge on the highway. I had a 3000lb pickup truck with about 113hp and somehow managed to drive across NJ highways. My carbed 500 runs sub 13s when it was new, and it still is faster than 90% of what is out there, 0-60 still feels like it goes by in a blink of an eye. Do you just not rev your bike?
Old 02-01-2013, 03:46 PM #434
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
WTF? 100 hp to merge onto a highway and pull out from a stop? Do you have any experience with bikes or prior knowlege of them?
Old 02-01-2013, 04:11 PM #435
teen
[]D [] []v[] []D

he wants to go fast, just doesn't want to admit it..
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 PM #436
tex_mania
BSA Support

tex_mania plays in the PSP
tex_mania owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tex_mania owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tex_mania plays in the APPA D4 division
Power wheelies yay!

I actually really want a buell. Sucks hd wasn't making enough money off them to keep em around.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 PM #437
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
Not to mention if you want a touch more torque than stock you can always go bigger in the rear.
I'd rather just buy a bike that does what I want in factory form. I know sprocket changes very common and easy but I'd rather leave it alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
Lol, I need a bike with about as much hp as a 90s honda civic because I need to merge on the highway. I had a 3000lb pickup truck with about 113hp and somehow managed to drive across NJ highways. My carbed 500 runs sub 13s when it was new, and it still is faster than 90% of what is out there, 0-60 still feels like it goes by in a blink of an eye. Do you just not rev your bike?
I've taken them through the power band. I tend to perceive things as slower than others. I don't really care about top speed but I do want the difference in accelerating power and I'd prefer to be on a bike that doesn't have to work as hard to get the same effect.
Quote:
WTF? 100 hp to merge onto a highway and pull out from a stop? Do you have any experience with bikes or prior knowlege of them?
That was a very simplified reason I gave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teen View Post
he wants to go fast, just doesn't want to admit it..
If I wanted to go fast I wouldn't be considering a v-twin when I could get a 1000cc 4 cyl with nearly 50% more horsepower and torque. This isn't about pride, joyrides, or bragging rights.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:50 PM #438
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

i like power too, but if you think you need it to feel comfortable then I dont know what to tell you lol

also the carb'd 600s made right around 100hp+ before FI was commonplace iirc so...

Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 PM #439
Diametunim

Diametunim owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Probably gonna go on my first real group ride tomorrow with the riding group down here at Texas A&M, Pretty excited.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:28 PM #440
teen
[]D [] []v[] []D

Group rides are fun and all but I really don't like riding with say 4 or 5 ppl anymore. Too many sketchy *** ppl on motorcycles trying to show of is commonplace for group rides around here.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 PM #441
4literranger485
xtreme noob

4literranger485 supports Team VICIOUS
4literranger485 supports Empire
Quote:
This is precisely why my 35 HP DR-Z400 can't get onto the freeway