Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 PM #400
xXinpayneXx
MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naumoff42 View Post
there goes my chances of a bike at this age now. Pretty sure my car is totaled. I'm sure my insurance rates will be insane now. ****ing ice...
Only sport bikes and brand new bikes have high insurance.

I have a ridiculous amount of tickets, and 2 fender bender wrecks in my history and this Fz1 i was quoted at $150.... a year. yeah...

Just gotta go around what bikes.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 PM #401
B-RADD
Sassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyDuckGizmo View Post
Short answer to your question, yes. Also, the 03 r6 is literally the same bike as the 05. The only real difference I'm aware of is the colors and in 05 they went to upside down forks...Means squat to you. When people say the older bikes are less "extreme" (lol) they are usually talking about carbureted bikes. Pre 2001 or so the 600s were all carb'd. Throttle response was a little "softer" but they were all still touching 100hp. That is insane, compared to what most people are used to. Things haven't changed drastically since 05, that's for sure. The power is about the same as any current 600 supersport* (r6, cbr600rr, zx-6r, gsx-r).

I'm not saying jumping right to a super bike is automatic death. They are deceptively easy to operate. However, it's a pretty well shown fact that riders progress and develop FUNDAMENTAL SKILLS way more quickly on a smaller machine. I see this every time I go to the track and there is some 13 year old out there SMOKING grown men on 600s and 1000cc bikes on an RS125 (it's true the kids learn faster, but it works with adults too). It's conducive to your survival on the street to learn quickly. The less time spent not knowing what the **** you're doing the better. The sooner you can move on to learning more advanced skills the better. It is one thing to simply hop on a motorcycle and operate it, but to really know what you're doing, to become a "pilot" of one takes time and training. Your friend has neither, best of luck to him.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help, I already have my Ninja 250 and was planning on learning on that anyways. Fun to browse craigslist though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
There's a difference between riding it and owning it. He's up **** creek without a paddle the moment something happens that he's not ready for - be it panic braking, the rear breaking loose, or anything else that he doesn't have the experience to handle. When I was a new rider I could operate my roomate's R1 but I had no illusions about being ready for it. If your friend isn't willing to get a bike he belongs on, do what you can to teach him defensive skills.
Yes unfortunately he's had his license for three months or so and has only ridden I'd say less than fifteen times. He doesn't listen to anything I say because I don't even have my license yet, so therefore my opinion is invalid lol.

About how long did it take you fellas on average to upgrade to a bigger bike? I was planning on keeping and riding the ninja from March-September then maybe picking up something different that winter while bikes are cheaper if I feel comfortable doing so.

Flashing lights against the sky
Giving up, I close my eyes

Old 01-31-2013, 09:21 PM #402
xXinpayneXx
MW

So far until this bike i've only gone down in power (for street bikes)

Went 600 to 400... ha ,now to 1000.

For track bikes went 600 which was the street bike too, to 650 twin, to 600.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 PM #403
Naumoff42
Keyboard Warrior

Naumoff42 donated to help Peyton Trent
Naumoff42 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXinpayneXx View Post
Only sport bikes and brand new bikes have high insurance.

I have a ridiculous amount of tickets, and 2 fender bender wrecks in my history and this Fz1 i was quoted at $150.... a year. yeah...

Just gotta go around what bikes.
With a full coverage quote the best I've gotten was 270 a year for an 11 ninja 250 from progressive. That was before this accident though. We'll see what happens now. I'll check it once it gets close to summer time.

Let me buy your Philly Luxe

DaLuxe Mob

Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 PM #404
xXinpayneXx
MW

Yeah that was just liability, no point in getting full coverage really... I'm experienced enough that if I crash it probably wasn't my fault, or it would be easy to just fix myself.

http://imgur.com/a/gv3Ni

Looks like this will be mine sometime next week hopefully. He accepted on 2900, he wanted 3300 originally.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 PM #405
automagwarrior

has been a member for 10 years
automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXinpayneXx View Post
Put an offer down on a FZ1

God help us all.
Nice. What year? Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naumoff42 View Post
there goes my chances of a bike at this age now. Pretty sure my car is totaled. I'm sure my insurance rates will be insane now. ****ing ice...
Did you bring up a not at fault ticket? My only accident was when I totaled my old Jeep because of ice. The responding officer agreed the roads were so bad that he didn't write me any ticket, thus the accident was deemed not at fault by my insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelyDeezNutz View Post
Bike arrived at the dealership today, they assembled it, and are waiting on the title. Once that comes in, I get to go drive it home... I'm psyched!
What did you get?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM #406
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the USPL
NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
2012 Cbr1000rr
Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 PM #407
xXinpayneXx
MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagwarrior View Post
Nice. What year? Pics?
It's an 02

Click the link above for pics!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 PM #408
Naumoff42
Keyboard Warrior

Naumoff42 donated to help Peyton Trent
Naumoff42 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by automagwarrior View Post
Nice. What year? Pics?

Did you bring up a not at fault ticket? My only accident was when I totaled my old Jeep because of ice. The responding officer agreed the roads were so bad that he didn't write me any ticket, thus the accident was deemed not at fault by my insurance.
I got cited. Can't remember what exactly it was called. Something about not having enough distance to stop but without it being my fault. I wasn't really at fault for the whole thing at all. It was a 4 car accident and I just happened to be one of the 4 cars that couldn't stop. The road was pure ice and it was snowing bad enough you couldn't hardly see anything in front of you.

Let me buy your Philly Luxe

DaLuxe Mob

Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 PM #409
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
My boss had the exact same thing happen. Ridiculous.

There's a difference between riding it and owning it. He's up **** creek without a paddle the moment something happens that he's not ready for - be it panic braking, the rear breaking loose, or anything else that he doesn't have the experience to handle. When I was a new rider I could operate my roomate's R1 but I had no illusions about being ready for it. If your friend isn't willing to get a bike he belongs on, do what you can to teach him defensive skills.

Has anyone ridden a buell xb9,12 or 1125r? Looks like I'm back in the market for a bike and I never gave these much thought.
Zoink on here had an xb and liked it so much i think he got another recently?

I'd lose my license on a damn 1125. Fast, and the handling on those bikes is about the most intuitive feeling ive experienced on a motorcycle.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

"Originally posted by drunkkoala: does that make sense to you? u ****ing idiot."
Old 02-01-2013, 06:39 AM #410
nobodyshome13

nobodyshome13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
nobodyshome13 supports Team VICIOUS
nobodyshome13 is for the Gunfight
nobodyshome13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
What's up guys, I have been in the market for a motorcycle for the past few months and I have decided on a ninja 300 as my first bike. Plan on just learning with it and just driving around town and to work this summer. I was just wondering if it was worth getting the abs model or should I not worry about it? Hopefully will have it in march and will be comfortable ridding when it warms up.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by nobodyshome13 : 02-01-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:42 AM #411
cynicalrider
robert paulson

cynicalrider owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cynicalrider owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
cynicalrider is for the Gunfight
cynicalrider supports Pev's Paintball
ITT: Austin loses his license and I miss riding.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"

ST:A - Not your Myspace Blog.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:04 AM #412
bigballsofpaint

bigballsofpaint plays in the PSP
bigballsofpaint owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
bigballsofpaint plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyshome13 View Post
What's up guys, I have been in the market for a motorcycle for the past few months and I have decided on a ninja 300 as my first bike. Plan on just learning with it and just driving around town and to work this summer. I was just wondering if it was worth getting the ans model or should I not worry about it? Hopefully will have it in march and will be comfortable ridding when it warms up.

Thanks for the help guys!
As a new rider i think ABS is a good idea. Lots of accidents can happen from locking up the rear wheel if you dont know what to do, same goes for the front but its usually a little harder. For the extra bit i think its worth it. Good luck with the new bike, ive been eyeing the new 300 as well. Since i already have a 250 though its not the best financial decision haha.
A.P.S. --Rage A1, rage stiffi,3 piece eyes, magno kit -05 Speed- Bonzai Eclipse LED with Virtue
Misc -- Spanky Fishbone cocker -Empire Tracer --
Old GunsEclipse angle LED, 2x Angel LED, 06 Ego, Adrenaline Angel LCD, Stormtrooper Geo, Excaliber, Shocker 4x4
Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 AM #413
cynicalrider
robert paulson

Meh I think ABS would feel like a crutch for a new rider. I learned very quickly how to use my front properly after locking up my rear a couple times. Also if you do lock it, maintaining that skid can become a crucial skill to learn.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"

Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 AM #414
xXinpayneXx
MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
ITT: Austin loses his license and I miss riding.
Shut your face!!

Ha

abs would have saved me a lot of pain over the years granted I wouldn't be near the rider I am now. Now I'm a beast at braking. Also you can't back it in with abs and that Is one of my favorite pastimes.

I have been pretty worried though it's been almost 6 months since I've actually ridden... I feel like I probably forgot how! I took the r6 out down the road and back since I live in the middle of no where but that's it. :/

I have a terrible feeling I'm no where near the rider I used to be.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:43 AM #415
bigballsofpaint

A crutch isnt a bad thing, its literally there so you dont fall down. He wont have to worry about locking up the rear with ABS either. Im not saying its a bad thing to know, but not having to worry about what to do in panic situations may be nice as a new rider while learning everything else you need to worry about. If he can afford it then i say get it, hell if they had ABS on the 250 when i bought my 2011 i would have got it, and if i had the extra 2500 when i bought my 1000 i would have gotten it. Fact is its a nice thing to have on the street, im not saying you should break the bank or go out of your way to get it, but if its an option then you may as well take advantage of anything that could make you safer on the road. On the track it may not be a great thing to have, but on the street id say it would be nice.
A.P.S. --Rage A1, rage stiffi,3 piece eyes, magno kit -05 Speed- Bonzai Eclipse LED with Virtue
Old GunsEclipse angle LED, 2x Angel LED, 06 Ego, Adrenaline Angel LCD, Stormtrooper Geo, Excaliber, Shocker 4x4
Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 AM #416
cynicalrider
robert paulson

That's true you could always get it and once you get more comfortable disconnect it. And Austin I feel the same. I haven't ridden street since the bike got jacked in April.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 AM #417
nobodyshome13

nobodyshome13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
nobodyshome13 supports Team VICIOUS
nobodyshome13 is for the Gunfight
nobodyshome13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
So for someone new ABS is useful? And is it relatively easy to disconnect?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 AM #418
bigballsofpaint

i wouldnt bother disconnecting it, his point is basically just being able to lock them up and know how to still save it. ABS shouldnt be a make or break it add on IMO, but its nice to have for sure. Even if i was riding for 20 years its still a GOOD thing to have. If you were to ever buy another bike after becoming comfortable riding then you could buy something without ABS if you wanted, its still not standard but it is becoming much more popular.

A lot of the negatives ive seen with people complaining about ABS is when they are ridden on the track due to the amount of braking your actually doing, you wouldnt want ABS to kick in at a time that you dont actually need it. Then again most high powered track bikes have ABS in them now. The new ninja 636 is the first 600 SS to have it standard, so it may become more normal. I do not know if they disable it though. But for normal street use, its a good feature. Thats why i said dont go out and look for a bike where you NEED ABS, or spend money that you cant afford to have ABS. But if you can afford it then i see no reason not to have it.

This is all my opinion. Many people have been riding bikes without ABS for many years, so since they are comfortable and use to it and know how to control a slide then they dont see a need for it. I also know people who have been on bikes for over 30 years and said they would never buy a new bike without ABS again since its saved them a couple times. As a new rider i see it as a good thing to have, not needed though.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 AM #419
lowbudgethero
Boomer

If you have money for abs, then do it. Your not a pro rider or even an experienced rider. It's not necessary though, as long as you get practice with panic braking and familiar with the bike you should be ok. Locking up isn't really that hard to control anyway if you brake in a straight line.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 AM #420
zoink
cats cats cats

zoink is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation