Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-03-2013, 11:19 PM #22
DA9bro
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
DA9bro is BST Legit
DA9bro is Legendary
anyone, shoot fish eye or really wide angle stuff?
DA9bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 PM #23
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Whats that?
Cmizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 PM #24
DA9bro
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
DA9bro is BST Legit
DA9bro is Legendary
whats what?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 PM #25
Rea[P]er
A Devil In God's Country

You know what I miss about Canon....?...

The red "L" on the lenses

Reddog -- nice reads, especially since I just switched to Nikon as well a short while ago.

...and here (kinda a work in progress): Squarespace
Rea[P]er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 PM #26
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

skwirnmn has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
This entire thread is irrelevant until you tell us what you plan to shoot with your new lenses. if you're going to shoot landscapes, no one's going to recommend you a 300. if you want to go birding, we're not going to link you to a good fisheye..
skwirnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 PM #27
DA9bro
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
DA9bro is BST Legit
DA9bro is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwirnmn View Post
This entire thread is irrelevant until you tell us what you plan to shoot with your new lenses. if you're going to shoot landscapes, no one's going to recommend you a 300. if you want to go birding, we're not going to link you to a good fisheye..
see, you missed the point. im not looking for someone to tell me what to go shoot. theres 1000000 reviews online. i just wanted to talk about what everyone else is using for various shots. personally, i shoot everyone from sports, to portraits, to miniatures, to tilt shift etc. i work with a small selection of lenses (being friends with a few trusting photo majors and professors i college is nice).
Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 AM #28
K-9
name's ryon. hi

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
K-9 plays in the PSP
K-9 donated to help Peyton Trent
K-9 supports DLX Technology
Weddings:
My 24-70 pretty much doesnt come off
70-200 for ceremony
16mm for fun stuff

Walking around:
My 50 1.4

Sports:
70-200

I switched to Nikon as well from Canon.
K-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 AM #29
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

skwirnmn has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA9bro View Post
see, you missed the point. im not looking for someone to tell me what to go shoot. theres 1000000 reviews online. i just wanted to talk about what everyone else is using for various shots. personally, i shoot everyone from sports, to portraits, to miniatures, to tilt shift etc. i work with a small selection of lenses (being friends with a few trusting photo majors and professors i college is nice).
shoot video and get a 24-105 nikon equivalent!
skwirnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 AM #30
reddogphoto
BECAUSE ST:P

Quote:
I almost got into canon, but from what youve expressed, im glad i didnt lol
I mean Canon isn't terrible, and the big two pretty much leapfrog each other with technology every few years. There's just different philosophies behind the way each brand does things, and I find that Nikon fits me best even though it's been a mild challenge to get accustomed to.

Quote:
anyone, shoot fish eye or really wide angle stuff?
A while back I bought a Tokina 16-28 thinking it would be my go-to landscape lens. It worked out pretty well on my 1D at APS-H crop, but on my 5D it was too wide and I found myself shooting landscape stuff with a 35L. The ultrawide, especially on the 16mm end shrinks detail that's not within 15m and bends lines too much for good landscape shots. While it's good for capturing a lot of breadth, I found it works best for getting as close as possible to a subject when straight lines won't matter.

That being said, the Tokina 16-28 renders reflection and sunlight gradations better than ANY lens I've ever owned. It's clear, sharp, and produces beautiful images when used properly.

New River Gorge Bridge by reddogvisuals, on Flickr

20120620_Canon EOS 5D Mark II_0121.jpg by reddogvisuals, on Flickr

20120620_Canon EOS 5D Mark II_0037.jpg by reddogvisuals, on Flickr

20110814_1D3_2496 by reddogvisuals, on Flickr

20110625_1D3_0602 by reddogvisuals, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea[P]er View Post
Reddog -- nice reads, especially since I just switched to Nikon as well a short while ago.
Thanks, I wrote a lot of that on the fly, generally on my iPhone while on the can. Glad to hear it interests at least one person.

My name is Ted and I produce photos. Sometimes I get a decent one.
5px
http://reddogvisuals.com
reddogphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:23 AM #31
DA9bro
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
DA9bro is BST Legit
DA9bro is Legendary
those first two images, did you have to crop a lot or do a lot of post work to get them that crisp and straight?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 AM #32
sixsixsix69
Aggressively Lazy

Annual Supporting Member
sixsixsix69 is a Supporting Member
sixsixsix69 is a founding member
sixsixsix69 is a Paintball photographer
sixsixsix69 supports Team VICIOUS
sixsixsix69 posts videos on PbNation
Did someone say primes?

500mm or bust!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 AM #33
Empirefreak
Austin

For those who mentioned it, how do/did you guys like your Canon 24-70L? Right now I currently use a 35L, 50 1.4, and 70-200 f/4L. I'm always disappointed when I see the quality produced from the 50 vs the L glass. Thinking about picking up a used 24-70 since the don't make them anymore. Looks like it'd be the perfect lens to fill the void of a prime. Should I be worried that they're older/used? I'm assuming no..

my other craving is a smaller walk around camera like a Fuji x100. I hate going on trips where I want to take good photos but have to lug my big *** 5d + 35L around. So it's either a lens or that.
Empirefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:06 PM #34
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

400/2.8 > 500/4 any day.

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:56 PM #35
texaspaintballplpaye

Annual Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empirefreak View Post
For those who mentioned it, how do/did you guys like your Canon 24-70L? Right now I currently use a 35L, 50 1.4, and 70-200 f/4L. I'm always disappointed when I see the quality produced from the 50 vs the L glass. Thinking about picking up a used 24-70 since the don't make them anymore. Looks like it'd be the perfect lens to fill the void of a prime. Should I be worried that they're older/used? I'm assuming no..

my other craving is a smaller walk around camera like a Fuji x100. I hate going on trips where I want to take good photos but have to lug my big *** 5d + 35L around. So it's either a lens or that.
I had one for awhile and didn't like it as my go to lens. Despite it being one of the most valued lenses in Canon's arsenal from the reviews. I used the 50L on my camera for most of my walk around stuff.
texaspaintballplpaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM #36
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
i've used the 24-70 from Canon...wasn't impressed
fainerbainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM #37
destro

MY basic setup
Nikon
50 1.4d
28-70 2.8
70-200 2.8
selling 80-200 2.8 AF-s
If I need something wider and space is limited I use the kit 18-55 on my D90 but that does very often.
destro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 PM #38
Rebeltilldeath3
Suicide Messiah

Rebeltilldeath3 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
What's bad about the Canon 24-70?

There's a reason the Nikon Holy Trinity is the 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200 I'll never buy the 14-24, that's just stupid wide. Ultra stupid wide came and went out of my system really fast...
How I'd miss all the whiskey an' women.
I tried to be true, but it's all I can do,
Keepin' up with the Jonesin'
Rebeltilldeath3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:17 PM #39
reddogphoto

Quote:
those first two images, did you have to crop a lot or do a lot of post work to get them that crisp and straight?
The one of the parasail and the sailboat is cropped for horizon alignment, otherwise looks untouched. It was processed on another computer so I don't have the processing history on it, but aside from the slight crop it looks identical to my archived copy that is untouched.

The one of the New River Bridge is leveled slightly, with some curve, color and contrast adjustments. With the overcast sky the image was quite flat and needed some pop. Now for the kicker, that was shot at the 16mm end of the lens, and I applied a barrel distortion correction profile for the 35L to straighten the lines slightly. It's not a drastic adjustment, I was just at the right altitude to get the shot pretty good out of camera. Note that the Lightroom 4 correction profiles for this lens suck ***. Depending on what focal length you shot it at, you're better off applying the 35L profile instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empirefreak View Post
For those who mentioned it, how do/did you guys like your Canon 24-70L?
It was my bread and butter lens before I answered the call to primes. Good color and contrast, and as sharp as you get in a midrange zoom. When I bought it I was stepping up from a 28-135 IS USM (a damn good lens on its own) and I could tell the difference just looking through the viewfinder. It's a damn good lens, though it's heavy, bulky, and suffers from zoom creep when it's hanging off your strap. There's a reason it's nicknamed 'the brick' but it's a good lens where it counts.

5px
Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 PM #40
DA9bro
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
DA9bro is BST Legit
DA9bro is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogphoto View Post
The one of the parasail and the sailboat is cropped for horizon alignment, otherwise looks untouched. It was processed on another computer so I don't have the processing history on it, but aside from the slight crop it looks identical to my archived copy that is untouched.

The one of the New River Bridge is leveled slightly, with some curve, color and contrast adjustments. With the overcast sky the image was quite flat and needed some pop. Now for the kicker, that was shot at the 16mm end of the lens, and I applied a barrel distortion correction profile for the 35L to straighten the lines slightly. It's not a drastic adjustment, I was just at the right altitude to get the shot pretty good out of camera. Note that the Lightroom 4 correction profiles for this lens suck ***. Depending on what focal length you shot it at, you're better off applying the 35L profile instead.

It was my bread and butter lens before I answered the call to primes. Good color and contrast, and as sharp as you get in a midrange zoom. When I bought it I was stepping up from a 28-135 IS USM (a damn good lens on its own) and I could tell the difference just looking through the viewfinder. It's a damn good lens, though it's heavy, bulky, and suffers from zoom creep when it's hanging off your strap. There's a reason it's nicknamed 'the brick' but it's a good lens where it counts.
most of lightrooms correction for Canon lenses sucks. Used to intern at a print shop and I had to make custom lens correction macros for Canon lenses. Pain in the dick
Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM #41
reddogphoto

They're alright for the primes, but the corrections for zooms leave something to be desired. I apply the profile to an image when I first get a lens, then tweak it as necessary and save it to a preset so that I don't have to worry about it anymore.

5px
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM #42
DA9bro
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
DA9bro is BST Legit
DA9bro is Legendary
ive gotta bite the bullet and buy some proper primes.