Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 06:17 PM #1
hsilman
Disgustipated
 
hsilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Big Apple
Harry's Log

Figured I might as well start.

Current Stats:
5'9"
185#
~17% bf. Somewhere sub 20%, but not by much. Doesn't matter, I'm pudgy.

Current PRs:
Squat 345x1
Bench 190x1
Deadlift 355 6x2

Goals/Plan for the year:
Short term goals of 405/225/450, year long goal of 1200+ total. Current plan is to keep slowly bulking until March, then take a few weeks to cut to sub 15% bf. Then onwards and upwards.

Today's workout:
12/31/12
A2
Bench 190x1 Pre
DB inc 70sx9
60x8,6
50s 2x5
Pec Deck 80# 4x15

Standing Calves 135x20,60x20

DB Press 50sx9
42.5x6
32.5x7,6,5
rear delt on pec deck 50# 5x12

BW Dipsx10, 3x5
Rope Tri pushdown 30# 5x12

ab wheel from knees 3x6

fluid rower 4 intervals 20s High/40s Low
__________________
This is necessary. Life feeds on life
feeds on life
feeds on life

Last edited by hsilman : 02-07-2013 at 08:39 PM.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2012, 08:19 PM #2
Hawke
 
 
Hawke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Staring pic?

Strong squat Harry. Did you ever figure out the reason for your lagging bench? I remember months ago you had made posts about it.
__________________
Feedback
Hawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:55 PM #3
hsilman
Disgustipated
 
hsilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Big Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
Staring pic?

Strong squat Harry. Did you ever figure out the reason for your lagging bench? I remember months ago you had made posts about it.
Good idea on the pic. I'll get something in the next couple of days.

As for my bench, I think it just isn't a "strong" lift for me. I've been doing db bench and incline as my main movements and it seems to be working for me so far. I think the higher volume of lemur compared to my previous routines is helping.
__________________
This is necessary. Life feeds on life
feeds on life
feeds on life
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 PM #4
ncpbkid1234 (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
incline brought up my flat alot
ncpbkid1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:51 PM #5
hsilman
Disgustipated
 
hsilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Big Apple
01/02/13
B2
Front Squat 265x1 Pre
195x7
175x6
155x6,7
Leg Extension 85 1x20,3x15

RDL 175x12,8,5
GHR 3x12

BB Shrug 265 3x12
Face Pull 25 3x12

Incline BB Press 100 3x10

ab wheel from knees 3x6

Gym was RIDICULOUSLY busy today. Didn't expect there to be so many people using the squat rack/platform, all for squatting too. Took forever.

So I decided to not tolerate any "knee caving" movement during any of my squats. I feel it's something that I've gotten lax about and I don't want to get into bad habits. So I stopped the set after completing a rep where my knees caved pretty much at all.

Second, I taped my RDL to try and figure out what was going wrong. Camera was a bit low, but basically when the rep "felt wrong" it was because I had let my lower back round. I did well for 10/12 reps the first set, and the first 2 reps of subsequent sets. The rest were disgusting, and explains why I get ridiculous back pump from RDLs. I'm going to stick with the same weight for a top set, then drop the weight as I go, and again, focus on strict form.

Overall a positive start to the new year.
__________________
This is necessary. Life feeds on life
feeds on life
feeds on life
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 PM #6
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah
 
black_angus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Great State of Iowa
Remember that rounding isn't really the problem, it's letting the back go from an arched to rounded position. Almost all good conventional deadlifters lift with a rounded back, but you'll see that it stays in that same rounding throughout the lift until lockout, when it obviously returns to a normal position. So don't get caught up in "rounding is bad" but think of it more like "going from arched to rounded is bad".

I've noticed that whenever I hurt my back (which is very rare, which some would say is amazing because I do pull with a rounded low back) it's when I my back goes from rounded, to even more rounded, and then I try to arch it back to the starting position.
__________________
Iowa Hawkeyes
Miami Hurricanes
Washington Redskins
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:29 PM #7
hsilman
Disgustipated
 
hsilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Big Apple
angus: I understand. Since I pull with a flat back, I believe I should do RDLs with a flat back. But I understand your point.

C2
Weighted Chin +70x1 Pre
Neutral Grip Chin +30x6, BW 4x5

DB Row 90x20
V-handle Low Row 35+1 4x15

Close grip Pulldown 200x2 Pre
EZ=Bar Preacher Curl 80x8
70x8,6,6
60x5
cable curl 25 4x15

OHP 135 2x2
ab wheel from knees 3x6

Gonna drop the weight to +45 for my chin pre. Too close to my max. Also swapping NG chins for Wide Lat Pulldown. It's stalling already, too close to my previous exercise I think.

The OHP is a new PR for me. Didn't plan on it, but there were literally NO bars left in the gym, so I just worked in with a guy doing cleans and went for a PR instead of volume. Felt pretty damn good.
__________________
This is necessary. Life feeds on life
feeds on life
feeds on life
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 PM #8
Hawke
 
 
Hawke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
I'm interested in hearing how the drop in weight for chinup pre activation goes. I'm considering doing the same (I'm at 70lbs as well).
__________________
Feedback
Hawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 AM #9
hsilman
Disgustipated
 
hsilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Big Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
I'm interested in hearing how the drop in weight for chinup pre activation goes. I'm considering doing the same (I'm at 70lbs as well).
I expect good things.

The hard part for me is to keep my ego in check. On some exercises(squat and chinups for some reason) I have to keep in mind that the preactivation is not some dick measuring 1RM contest, even with myself. Its purpose is to get me ready to pump out a PR on my first myorep set. It is only secondary as an indication of increased maximal strength.

If you are considering dropping the weight, ask yourself why you wouldn't. Is it because you think you're moving it nice and fast still, but maybe it's a bit too heavy? Or is it because you don't want to drop down because it's a big weight you want to say you can move? The first, you have a real debate. The second, well that isn't a real reason at all.
__________________
This is necessary. Life feeds on life
feeds on life
feeds on life
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:52 AM #10
JMills87
-.-
 
JMills87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Connecticut
JMills87 plays in the PSP
JMills87 is an NCPA player
do you have any bulge pics or u can PM legit cock pics
__________________
TNN Kids
matt's outback
@jmillshere
JMills87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 PM #11
hsilman
Disgustipated
 
hsilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Big Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMills87 View Post
do you have any bulge pics or u can PM legit cock pics
would certainly save time and effort.

1/6/13
A1
Bench 190x1 Pre
DB Bench 80sx8
70sx8
60sx7,4
Pec Deck 80 4x15

HS Iso Shoulder +70x10,6
+60x6
+50x7
Db raise 12.5# 4x15

CGBP 115x10,6
100 2x6
Rope pushdown 30# 4x15

15 minutes on the rower
__________________
This is necessary. Life feeds on life
feeds on life
feeds on life
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 PM #12
Hawke
 
 
Hawke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
I expect good things.

The hard part for me is to keep my ego in check. On some exercises(squat and chinups for some reason) I have to keep in mind that the preactivation is not some dick measuring 1RM contest, even with myself. Its purpose is to get me ready to pump out a PR on my first myorep set. It is only secondary as an indication of increased maximal strength.

If you are considering dropping the weight, ask yourself why you wouldn't. Is it because you think you're moving it nice and fast still, but maybe it's a bit too heavy? Or is it because you don't want to drop down because it's a big weight you want to say you can move? The first, you have a real debate. The second, well that isn't a real reason at all.
I understand what you mean... saying you can rep out +70lbs on chinups sounds nice.

I guess I'm more on the "bit too heavy" side. I can do +70lbs for a few reps, but I don't think the contraction is as clean as it should be. I'll drop back to +60lbs and really clean it up. If anything develops, I'll make a post about it. In the mean time, I'll check out your progression as well.
__________________
Feedback
Hawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 PM #13
Nikilwig
Double Up
 
Nikilwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Nikilwig plays in the PSP
Nikilwig is for the Gunfight
Nikilwig is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMills87 View Post
do you have any bulge pics or u can PM legit cock pics
Didn't know MrMeatWhistle played paintball
__________________
New England Avalanche

Have you shot a Vangaurd Demon yet?
Vanguard Demon | NXE | GI SPORTZ | Ninja Paintball | Warzone Paintball | Shadow Barrels | RAZA
Nikilwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 PM #14
JMills87
-.-
 
JMills87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Connecticut
JMills87 plays in the PSP
JMills87 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikilwig View Post
Didn't know MrMeatWhistle played paintball
IP banned from the misc as of today and I'm legitimately upset about it. Like I felt a genuine sense of loss when I tried to log on today. Cant even view the forums now. Need to find a way around that asap


- sorry to hijack your thread silman, awaiting dick pics in my inbox
__________________
TNN Kids
matt's outback
@jmillshere

Last edited by JMills87 : 01-06-2013 at 08:22 PM.
JMills87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 PM #15
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah
 
black_angus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Great State of Iowa
Proxy servers.
__________________
Iowa Hawkeyes
Miami Hurricanes
Washington Redskins
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 PM #16
hsilman
Disgustipated
 
hsilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Big Apple
1/8/13
B1

Squat 345x1 Pre
HBBS 255x6
225x7
185 2x6
leg extension 85 4x15

lying ham curl 155x2 Pre
125x12,6
115x7
ghr BW 3x12

Trap Bar Shrug 275 3x12
rear dealt 60 3x12

Incline BB Press 105 3x8

5 minutes on rower. no more cardio after leg day lol

ab wheel from knees 3x7

*PAGING ALL LEMUR EXPERTS*(obviously Lurker, but other opinions welcome)

Here is a recording of a 315# squat and my 345# squat that I used for preactivation. Let me know if 345# moved too slow(ie was too high a percentage) compared to 315 to use. It felt slow, but in review it looks good and pretty easy to me. What I would expect from a ~90% lift.

315x1starts @15seconds)


345x1:




Last, a weight update. Reviewing my calorie history, it looks like I've been bulking for about 16 weeks now. I've reached a morning waist measurement of just shy of 34", which I gave myself as a limit for this bulk. I'm going to slowly cut down on calories just a tad, and it looks like I'll be starting my next cut at the beginning of February instead of March.
__________________
This is necessary. Life feeds on life
feeds on life
feeds on life
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 PM #17
Lurker27
Engineering the Future
 
Lurker27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Lurker27 posts videos on PbNation
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
honestly that looks fine to me for PreA but you might need like 7 minutes after that
__________________
World's Best Hard-Parts Upgrades!
EigenBarrels, Mini, AXE, Intimidators, DM, Shocker
Lurker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 PM #18
]TSS[ Dake
Insight and Hilarity
 
]TSS[ Dake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: CWU
 has been a member for 10 years
Same, looked clean.
__________________
If I were the marrying type,
and I thank the lord I'm not, sir...

Bats make the world a better place. To find out how and sponsor them, click here.
]TSS[ Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:02 AM #19
hsilman
Disgustipated
 
hsilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Big Apple
Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

I've been timing my rest after preA, always 5 minutes minimum. Makes a huge difference.
__________________
This is necessary. Life feeds on life
feeds on life
feeds on life
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM #20
FHS JewFro
black AND white
 
FHS JewFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: never move to, NC
lurk, or harry, even

if you feel like the rep was smooth and quicker than normal, could you cut the rest time down a minute or two?

same question, basically, but i would assume the opposite could be used for a grinding, real slow rep, would you increase the rest time a minute or two?
__________________
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
FHS JewFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 AM #21
Lurker27
Engineering the Future
 
Lurker27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Lurker27 posts videos on PbNation
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
The harder the rep the longer the rest but I would never try to take less than 5 minutes. If you are in a time crunch dynamic pre activation is what you want
__________________
World's Best Hard-Parts Upgrades!
EigenBarrels, Mini, AXE, Intimidators, DM, Shocker
Lurker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump