Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 PM #1
luckyxero
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Masks with a double strap

I was thinking of getting a sly profit primarily because of the double strap. However, before i bite the bullet, does anyone know of other masks with a double strap.? Or some sort of diy thing or add on to create a double strap?
luckyxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 PM #2
jdub2k5
 
 
jdub2k5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nixa, mo
jdub2k5 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jdub2k5 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bite the bullet and get one, I have not found a nicer mask.

I can wear mine for 11-12 hours of play and it feels great.

its the only mask my team uses
__________________
axe, mini, sniper, tiberius 8.1, tm7, ion pump, ion, 98 cocker pump,

no longer supporting EMPIRE because they have terrible customer service and even worse paint
jdub2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 PM #3
Gyvanth
That Awkward Guy
 
Gyvanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Franklin, MA
Gyvanth has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
While a double strap is nice to have, I wouldn't buy a mask just for that reason. What makes you want it so much? Most masks don't have them because truthfully you don't really need one with the shape and balance of most masks.
Gyvanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 PM #4
gamer565
Place ran by hypocrites
 
gamer565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OK
Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
Eflex and Proflex, basically any mask can be double strapped.
__________________
Jolly Green (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

gamer565 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:22 PM #5
Octagonalized
#12 SKPB
 
Octagonalized's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Octagonalized supports Team VICIOUS
Octagonalized supports Team VICIOUS
Octagonalized has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Octagonalized has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Octagonalized has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Love my sly. Like it more than I4s, flexes, and the endless tippmann goggles.
Octagonalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:36 AM #6
luckyxero
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I work in a clean room for work, and have to wear a respirator for 5-6 hours a day. The best ones (IMO) are the ones that have a double strap. I've tried the sly, and it's comfortable and secure, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't buying it without asking first.

I'll checkout the Eflex and Proflex. Thanks!

@Gamer - can you just buy another strap and attach it through the buckle or is there a special connection?
luckyxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:05 AM #7
Tiga88
United States Air Force
 
Tiga88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Annual Supporting Member
Tiga88 plays in the PSP
Tiga88 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Tiga88 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Tiga88 supports Team VICIOUS
Tiga88 plays in the APPA D5 division
Tiga88 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Tiga88 supports Empire
It feels really nice however, you are constantly breathing hot air and you might not be able to hear as well as some other masks. It is a very nice mask though.
__________________
"Once more into the fray,
Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
Live and die on this day,
Live and die on this day."


Leaving feedback after a B/S/T is greatly appreciated
Tiga88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 AM #8
war009
Fluffy Bunnies Pump
 
war009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PHX, AZ
Annual Supporting Member
war009 donated to help Peyton Trent
war009 supports Team VICIOUS
war009 supports our troops
war009 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
war009 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
war009 is Boss
war009 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyxero View Post
I work in a clean room for work, and have to wear a respirator for 5-6 hours a day. The best ones (IMO) are the ones that have a double strap. I've tried the sly, and it's comfortable and secure, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't buying it without asking first.

I'll checkout the Eflex and Proflex. Thanks!

@Gamer - can you just buy another strap and attach it through the buckle or is there a special connection?
You slid through the normal mount on flexes, that's what I did
__________________
Fluffy Bunnies Pump....Fear the Fluffy
Smartballer PB Like Us on Facebook
Shocker Owners/Pump OT
war009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 AM #9
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior
 
Paper_Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Annual Supporting Member
I didn't like my sly. The double strap doesn't really make much of a difference. The mask was a bit heavy, so I think with one strap the sly might fall off. However it doesn't vent very well. During those hot florida summer days even with a thermal mask it would still fog.
Also, you can't hear very well in the mask.

It is NOT a $90 mask.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:01 AM #10
ilikeike
Nice
 
ilikeike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Annual Supporting Member
ilikeike plays in the PSP
ilikeike plays in the APPA D4 division
Sly is meh, I much prefer flexs
__________________
Keep rolling
Sandana Owners Club
AZ Menace
ilikeike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 AM #11
MstrKey
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SSM, Ontario, Canada
MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Adding a second strap to your mask is simple and easy enough. Heck you can usually just pull the strap off of some crap goggles you have sitting around and slap it on your good ones. There's a way to make it fit, just use your imagination. Two straps does feel better because you can run them a bit looser and still get the same hold. I find I get major headaches after wearing my goggles all day.......two looser straps seems to help that issue a bit for me. I guess I'm getting old and my blood vessels aren't pumping as much blood lol.
__________________

Black/Purple Spire F/s. Freshly updated from Virtue.
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:16 PM #12
dps093
I like Flexes
 
dps093's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bear, Delaware
Annual Supporting Member
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
A lot of masks can have double straps besides the Sly.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 PM #13
YeloSno
ALT Bazaar - Coming Soon!
 
YeloSno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Bay, Carifornia
Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
You can double strap any mask.

All my JT masks are double strapped and DIY-ing it is relatively simple and safe as far as DIY mods are concerned.

Id suggest getting an E-Flex and double strapping it.

By far the most glorious and I prefer on many levels over the Profit, Flex8, i3, i4, Avatar, Events, so forth.

At this point, that's the only one I'd own over the proflex. The proflex in itself is already godly.



I double strapped my masks for similar reasons:

1 strap tightly = major headache and even nausea if it comes off after being used long time

2 straps will be safer and more secure

they will also make it feel much more comfortable and as if they're (no fruityness, just real talk) caressing your head instead of holding on for its dear life.
__________________
Are You A Beginner?
Maybe a Little Bit?

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.


Sale so good you'll get a ****in' coma trying to find your wallet.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by R3L: Nostalgia's a hell of a drug."
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM #14
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....
 
Rebel_816's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lynn, AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyxero View Post
I work in a clean room for work, and have to wear a respirator for 5-6 hours a day. The best ones (IMO) are the ones that have a double strap. I've tried the sly, and it's comfortable and secure, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't buying it without asking first.

I'll checkout the Eflex and Proflex. Thanks!

@Gamer - can you just buy another strap and attach it through the buckle or is there a special connection?
most paintball masks probably arent as heavy as a respirator so they really just dont need an extra strap to help them stay on.
__________________
Rapper
Rebel_816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 PM #15
PCPaintball.Scott
BALLING SINCE 84'
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Glendale Ca.
In over 20 years of play I have never owned a goggle with more than one strap.

But comfort is a very relative thing. I highly recommend you go to a local shop and ask to try one on and buy it from them. There is a reason that they might charge more than the internet like being able to hold/try on an item like a pair of goggles. Remember too that you are going to wear them all day. So not bad in the store might just be painful by the end of a 8 hour plus day of paintball.
__________________
Scott K.
Players Club Paintball
120 N. Sunset Ave West Covina Ca 91790
Phone # 626-391-9706
Store Hours
Tuesday to Saturday-12am to 9pm
Best Deals in Town!***Ask 4 your Discount!!!***
http://www.facebook.com/PCPaintballWC001
PCPaintball.Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 PM #16
luckyxero
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Cool. Thanks for all of the input. Especially the diy info and the heads up on the ventilation comparison. Im also one of those star wars geeks wearing belmets all the time so ventilation is very important to me.

Looks like ill try to double strap my current mask first then try others.
luckyxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 PM #17
Kbug
O.M.G.
 
Kbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Valdosta
Kbug owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Kbug supports Team VICIOUS
Kbug has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Kbug supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
Sly is meh, I much prefer flexs
Me, my brother, and my dad all have flexs. They breath great, very comfortable, and are very customizable (I like my gear to look different from everyone else's). Double strapping a flex isn't hard to do, I think there is a sticky about it. I like it because it makes my mask feel more secure on my head and it helps keep my older straps from wearing out
__________________
Obama Must Go

Kbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:04 PM #18
jdub2k5
 
 
jdub2k5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nixa, mo
jdub2k5 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jdub2k5 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyxero View Post
Cool. Thanks for all of the input. Especially the diy info and the heads up on the ventilation comparison. Im also one of those star wars geeks wearing belmets all the time so ventilation is very important to me.

Looks like ill try to double strap my current mask first then try others.
the downside to the sly is they do get warm inside the mouth area and don't vent that easy and hearing is a bit hard.

however I love my sly and havent found one as comfy yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8U93gId2GE

the lens blow in dim light also lol (had to order some clears)
__________________
axe, mini, sniper, tiberius 8.1, tm7, ion pump, ion, 98 cocker pump,

no longer supporting EMPIRE because they have terrible customer service and even worse paint
jdub2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM #19
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior
 
Paper_Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Annual Supporting Member
Also, the sly will cut into your forehead, so I hope you have a headband or hat, because the foam is cheap as ****.
Basically, while the back of the mask is secure, the counterpoint is the top line that goes across your forehead, on the front that is the only place the mask is supported.
__________________
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 PM #20
jdub2k5
 
 
jdub2k5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nixa, mo
jdub2k5 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jdub2k5 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
Also, the sly will cut into your forehead, so I hope you have a headband or hat, because the foam is cheap as ****.
Basically, while the back of the mask is secure, the counterpoint is the top line that goes across your forehead, on the front that is the only place the mask is supported.

might have been true with first gen sly's but the foam is beyond good on the new gens.

not to mention they sell replacement foam for really cheap
__________________
axe, mini, sniper, tiberius 8.1, tm7, ion pump, ion, 98 cocker pump,

no longer supporting EMPIRE because they have terrible customer service and even worse paint
jdub2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 PM #21
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior
 
Paper_Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub2k5 View Post
might have been true with first gen sly's but the foam is beyond good on the new gens.

not to mention they sell replacement foam for really cheap
A $110 mask should hit the shelves as a $110 mask. There shouldn't be bugs to work out.
When I buy a high end mask it is because I want to get a high end mask, not pay to run quality control checks for them.

Though, I did buy the gen1 mask, figured I was getting the pinnacle of mask technology. It isn't like sly didn't have anyone to copy the good ideas from, they even had a list of failed masks to look at what not to do and they still managed to put out a flawed product.

I don't know how much sly masks have changed, but if they are still a lot like the gen 1s and you say you still think they are good then you are provably wrong.
__________________
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump