PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 07-14-2014, 11:36 AM #1
NEPBRankings

New England Paintball Power Rankings

Well it is time to stir up the pot again. It is halfway through the 2014 season and it is time to see what people think. The thread is meant to be discussed, debated and argued over. I would ask that my name not be revealed by the administrators of the nation but I will take PMs to discuss why I ranked teams where they are. PLEASE POST YOUR OWN RANKINGS along with explanations.

How I ranked the teams are as follows:
Recent performance (strength of competition/head to heads & activity or lack thereof)
Big Event performance (Nationals/Playoffs)
Season performance (consistency)
If they played today (roster and style matchup)
Team history (long term sustainability & cohesiveness)

The importance of the categories are in the order they are listed. I put recent performance first as in if they played recently who won or beating mutual opponents recently. I place higher importance on pressure situations such as playoffs and nationals. If you won two events over the course of the year but missed an event and another team placed above you in the season standings I find the team that winning an event to be a better indication of a great team. One of the hardest things to do in paintball is to win an event. If they played today is entirely subjective. A good example however would be a team that has 3 years of xball experience would get the nod over a good 7man team that has no xball experience. Team history is the tie breaker. If the team has not played each other but one has been around longer it stands to reason that they will continue to have success.

Rankings

1. 187 Crew – Pro champions division and now consistently sending really good teams down to challengers. Next step is making Sundays. There is no argument for who is the best team in New England

2. Boats & Hoes – No loses in two years and only two matches lost in three. Filled with former pros and high level divisional winners. They are the bar that local teams need to beat if they want to be competitive on a national level. (For the purposes of the rankings riptide is included with boats and hoes because of the large amount of crossover but missing a few key players.)

3. Section 8 – Always one of the top ten teams in New England now that they have stopped drinking (as much) and are practicing on a regular basis this veteran team that has been playing together forever are consistently winning. Winning creates confidence and they have won 3 of the last 4 NEXLs.

4. Rod Squad – I know what some of you are thinking WHAT? They don’t even play in the highest NEXL division. They also didn’t even make playoffs this last NEXL. In NEXL 3# they lost to section 8 in a close match then just missed winning the game they tied by seconds on a field with a nonfunctioning time clock. They are second in foxball and have an NEXL event win under their belts. Consistency of roster and play style keeps this team at the top of the table. They slightly edge invasion because of the recent head to head win.

5. Invasion – Event 1 winners and having beat teams below them in the standings. The addition of Chris Wedge has brought veteran leadership that has shown in Invasion’s higher level of play. The one weakness may be speed to stretch the field. They however compensate through above average laneing and gunfighting.

6. (tie) Savages/SIN – The Irvin crew has shown their ability to be able to beat any team on any given day. They however have not been able to consistently string together wins or break through in the playoffs. They are on the cusp.
(tie) NEAA – But….they have only played 4 matches… and they are 2-1-1. Yes, but they took boats and hoes to overtime which is the closest they have been to losing in almost two years. They also took a loss to Rod Squad when they may have been playing their best paintball of the year. Consistency of roster and veteran leadership make this team a threat to anyone.

8. Bay State Bandits – 4th, 2nd, 1st are we seeing a trend? The Bandits may practice more than anyone in New England outside of 187 crew and this young group is coming together. The question before NEXL 3 was could they do it under pressure after two tough losses in playoffs. They finally proved their metal. Playing under NE United’s vacated spot in majors they will have the chance to move up this list quickly with games against SIN, Rod Squad and NEAA.

9. New England Legacy – The squad with something to prove. They have done so thus far in Foxball with a perfect record and +22 in only 4 matches. When your beating your opponents by 5 every match your showing dominance. A showdown next even with Bad intentions will show who should own the top of the Foxball minors table.

10. Bad Intentions – I have been told this is a “throw together” but they sure don’t seem to play like it. They sit atop the foxball minors standings with only an overtime loss to their name. Can they continue the success. We shall see.
Also considered – Hivi Wrecking Crew (not really a NE team but might have been in bottom half), UConn (they did take second at ncpas), Fotron (solid team that took second with a skeleton roster). Grind (event 1 nexl winners)

Last edited by NEPBRankings : 07-15-2014 at 12:39 AM.
NEPBRankings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2014, 05:03 PM #2
nick15
Nick Rodrigues

has been a member for 10 years
nick15 plays in the PSP
nick15 is an NCPA player
nick15 plays in the APPA D3 division
This is really cool in my opinion. Hats off to the bandits on their win yesterday, you guys deserve it for how hard you have been working.

Rod Squad had an off day performance wise yesterday, a slew of missed calls didn't help our situation either.

Best of luck to everyone for the rest of the season!
UConn Paintball Alumni
nick15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:17 PM #3
G00DFELLA
M0S-H8D

G00DFELLA plays in the PSP
G00DFELLA plays in the APPA D3 division
Hummm...Mr. Ghostwritter who are you, cause you have been paying close attention. Nice write up
CT Comeback/Rod Squad 2013
Bad Intentions/Rod Squad 2014
G00DFELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:08 PM #4
amontoya

Boats has actually lost 2 matches. They lost to us in the prelims their first head in foxball and to the gunfighters in the playoffs that same year. So technically that would put us at #2 with the head to head but who's keeping track :-p.... And who's to say we cut back on drinking?!?! :-)

Last edited by amontoya : 07-14-2014 at 09:17 PM.
amontoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:34 PM #5
Bad71
.... from the ashes

Bad71 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Bad71 plays in the APPA D4 division
Bad71 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Bad71 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Whoever he is... He's paying attention. I'll admit, it's somewhat of an honor to have made the list. And he's right, our next event is against not just Bad Intentions, but also United, is gonna make for epic New England paintball.

Bad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:50 PM #6
stingi17
Stay Ruthless.

Annual Supporting Member
stingi17 plays in the PSP
stingi17 supports our troops
stingi17 is an NCPA player
stingi17 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
stingi17 plays in the APPA D4 division
stingi17 is Boss
Interesting to see us even mentioned on this list the way that we've been playing so far this summer, but I'll definitely agree that this guy has been paying close attention. Wouldn't mind seeing a post regarding thoughts on what New England teams should be making more of a national push. If I remember correctly Invasion is the only divisional team playing 3+ national events a season.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:24 PM #7
tniz

tniz owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
tniz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tniz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tniz plays in the APPA D4 division
I know they aren't exactly a New England team, but New York isn't that far, so I think an honorable mention should go out to hivi wrecking crew. They have continued to support the nexl/nepl and have shown significant growth as they progressed up the ranks with multiple podiums. They appear to have strong leadership in the pits, on their coaching staff, and the sidelines. With a relatively young core group of players that I have seen little to no change in since first watching them play 5man, I might be going out on a limb, but their future is bright.

Do you have a custom milled '06 Pevs EGO with a Gruntbull Urban Digi-Camo Ano???
Do you know anyone with a custom milled '06 Pevs EGO with a Gruntbull Urban Digi-Camo Ano???
If so, PM me, would like to buy it back
tniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:11 PM #8
amontoya

Why isn't riptide on this list? 2012 nexl champs and consistently in the playoffs. Not
Bad for a team with a Skeleton crew that doesn't practice ��

Also biggest improvement from last year I think goes to rapture. Can't sleep on those guys anymore that's for sure.

Last edited by amontoya : 07-14-2014 at 09:26 PM.
amontoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 PM #9
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
I wish we'd have done that New England Invitational that Dave suggested a few years back. That would have been fun.

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:49 AM #10
NEPBRankings

Hivi is mentioned. I took the easy way out and put them out of the standings because the last 3-5 spots are the hardest to compare.

Riptide was added to the boats and hoes because of the large amount of roster cross over. They are close to the same team with Boats having a few more key players (the gig brothers, tin man, bmoney, buck). They are different but not different enough to have a second entry into the top ten.

Boats and Hoes stay in second regardless of the head to head two years ago because of their win streak and dominance in foxball. They also ended 2011 ahead of section 8 at foxball. It is however a very very close call and I would not bet on who would win between the two of them since section 8 has learned how to win with not only 3 out of 4 but 4 out of the last 6 nexls. "To be the best you got to beat the best" that being said if boats falters in playoffs and section 8 win again the places would probably flip.
NEPBRankings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:23 AM #11
tniz

tniz owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
tniz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tniz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tniz plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPBRankings View Post
Hivi is mentioned.
Whoops. Guess i missed that

Do you have a custom milled '06 Pevs EGO with a Gruntbull Urban Digi-Camo Ano???
Do you know anyone with a custom milled '06 Pevs EGO with a Gruntbull Urban Digi-Camo Ano???
If so, PM me, would like to buy it back
tniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:41 AM #12
Charlie13
Wipe yo FACE!

Charlie13 donated to help Peyton Trent
Charlie13 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Charlie13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Pretty cool write up. I would say I agree with most of the list. Like the OP said the last 3-5 spots are the toughest to judge. The honarable mentions couldv'e easily made it any where in the bottom 5. Thank you for the recognition.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:39 AM #13
dasillybiznatch
Stargang Affliate

dasillybiznatch plays in the PSP
dasillybiznatch plays in the APPA D2 division
The Bandits actually got third the first event . Solid read!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 AM #14
squeek22
*203*

squeek22 plays in the PSP
squeek22 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
squeek22 plays in the APPA D4 division
Sucks that we (TNN) have been done for awhile now. I think in our heyday, we would have been up there in this discussion . Noah moved and doesn't play anymore, whiteness is playing with 187, black Josh moved to Brooklyn, *EDIT* Zirp plays with Sin, Kraft and Greg play with The Outlawz, Aj doesn't play anymore, I've been bouncing around looking for someone to play with and a team call home, and so on and so on. Sad day when we decided to disband, sad day indeed.

Last edited by squeek22 : 07-15-2014 at 09:20 AM.
squeek22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:07 AM #15
nick15
Nick Rodrigues

nick15 plays in the PSP
nick15 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek22 View Post
Sucks we (TNN) have been done for awhile now. I think in our heyday, we would have been up there in this discussion . Noah moved and doesn't play anymore, whiteness is playing with 187, black Josh moved to Brooklyn, Greg, Zirp, and Kraft play with Rod Squad (please correct me if I'm wrong on that one), Aj doesn't play anymore and on and on. Sad day when we decided to disband, sad day indeed.
LC, Zirp Plays with Sin/Savages. Kraft and Greg play on D1 Outlawz
UConn Paintball Alumni
Old 07-15-2014, 09:13 AM #16
squeek22
*203*

squeek22 plays in the PSP
squeek22 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
squeek22 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick15 View Post
LC, Zirp Plays with Sin/Savages. Kraft and Greg play on D1 Outlawz
Touche Nick, I knew I was gonna be off somewhere. I haven't talked to any of them in a while but I think I'll be up at the next Fox4 rotation/minors event playing with NEU. Hope to see all you guys there and catch up with some of you clowns

How's your season goin' btw? Miss NAPS, it was definitely a good time getting to know all you guys. Hope to see you soon homie.

Last edited by squeek22 : 07-15-2014 at 09:24 AM.
squeek22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:10 AM #17
nick15
Nick Rodrigues

nick15 plays in the PSP
nick15 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek22 View Post
Touche Nick, I knew I was gonna be off somewhere. I haven't talked to any of them in a while but I think I'll be up at the next Fox4 rotation/minors event playing with NEU. Hope to see all you guys there and catch up with some of you clowns

How's your season goin' btw? Miss NAPS, it was definitely a good time getting to know all you guys. Hope to see you soon homie.
LC, it has been too long, I hope all is well with you. I don't believe I will be at minors but I am sure I will see you around the Outback with that sexy Geo.

My season is going well, minus NEXL on Sunday but I will just have to use that as a learning experience. NAPS was a blast and a great way to stay sharp on the offseason. I don't think I would play another full season just to save money but I would love to hop on for an event or two if at all possible, let me know if you decide to play it again this winter. How have you been? Shoot me a PM so we don't hijack this thread.
UConn Paintball Alumni
Old 07-15-2014, 10:57 AM #18
Bad71
.... from the ashes

Bad71 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Bad71 plays in the APPA D4 division
Bad71 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Bad71 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
There are SO many good teams in New England. Some have their forte' in NEXL, some in Foxball, Id love to see a New England Invitational by Invite Only, and watch all these teams on a level playing format go head to head. That would be a TRUE BEST OF NEW ENGLAND.
Someone asked about New England teams who should be making National pushes...
My vote right now has to go to Rod Squad. Reasoning is their consistency of roster, solid backing, solid program.

I'd also be interested to see the OP's take on a Top 10 of 5-Man teams in New England.

Bad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:46 AM #19
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
There are good teams in New England... when compared to all the teams in New England. The real problem is that on the national stage, no one from NE really does well, except 187. That's a problem that needs to be fixed, IMO. The biggest fish in our little pond is still nothing compared to what's out there in the broad ocean.

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
Old 07-15-2014, 12:34 PM #20
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Annual Supporting Member
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
Fox4paintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
Fox4paintball plays in the PSP
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Fox4paintball plays in the APPA D4 division
To many options to earn points - there are 15 events in New England that offer APPA points: NEXL, NEPL ,NPS

You only have to do well (top 3) in 4 or 5 events (1/3 or less of the events) to earn enough points to get bumped up to the next division.
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Fox4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:24 PM #21
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
But it's the same in other areas of the country with PSP affiliate leagues, yet their teams do better, and more consistently.

ReplyRegional Ups