PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 AM #43
Blazestorm2
I like me

Sup noobs, might be posting here more... I picked up a Razr Maxx back in July, and Nexus 7 32GB a couple days ago from GameStop (it was the same price everywhere... but they had free games).
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2013, 01:26 AM #44
diablodow
The fluffy snake player

diablodow supports Cereal Killerz 2
diablodow is for the Gunfight
That RAZR get jellybean yet?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:31 AM #45
Blazestorm2
I like me

Not yet... it took a while to get ICS too after they announced it. But I look forward to it, I like it a lot on the Nexus 7. I'll be out of the country for the next few months, wonder if I can still get the OTA. Who pushes it, Verizon? Do I even need the OTA, or just wait until someone else gets it and I can flash it? I know none of this stuff

But it's rooted, and I'm a noob with most of this. Not sure how I can keep root / not make it explode and get the OTA update. Right now I think I have it blocking OTA updates with something. OTA Root Keeper?

I feel useless with this stuff right now, this was my first smartphone / Android device.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 AM #46
diablodow
The fluffy snake player

Well you've come to the right place lol. Voodoo OTA root sleeper would be a good app to keep root if you upgrade. Also if it doesn't have a SIM card which I'm guessing it won't and your out of country make damn sure your on airplane mode and just use WiFi which will give you the OTA. Verizon is the one to push it.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 AM #47
alphanu22
(◣_◢)

Annual Supporting Member
alphanu22 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
alphanu22 is a Paintball photographer
alphanu22 works for a Paintball manufacturer
Daymn.... We got BlazeStorm up in here!?!?!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 AM #48
Blazestorm2
I like me

RAZR uses a SIM card, I'm actually able to use it in Singapore with another provider over there because they unlocked GSM or whatever with the ICS update. Only 3G for data though (and normal SMS/Cell service) and the service there is pretty shoddy compared to Verizon. Kind of handy not needing to buy a new phone over there though, just a SIM only plan...

So I should be able to get it, might require the Verizon SIM with phone in Airplane mode... guess I'll find out.

I'll check out that app if it's not the one I already have. Also going to root the Nexus 7 pretty soon... Then I'll start messing with loading on other kernels? I'm also trying to understand how I can backup everything like settings and apps but still load in a different kernel. I've heard of Titanium Backup which is supposedly for downloaded apps... and NANDroid backups which are for the kernel/ROM...

And yea Bjorn... I sneak onto the PBN from time to time
Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 AM #49
*knock-out05*
Where's my boomstick?!

*knock-out05* posts videos on PbNation
*knock-out05* is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
*knock-out05* is Legendary
Well god damn. Look who we have here.

T:GDT Rave | BBB | iPod/Zune/iPhone/iPod Touch Repair | WTB Broken iPods

ST: Tech : Danny, smartest in STT.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:31 AM #50
Blazestorm2
I like me

ohai.

Nexus 7 Toolkit... unlocked bootloader and rooted, didn't read too close... wiped everything I just downloaded. Would be less annoyed if I didn't just download like 5-6GB of games -_-
Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 AM #51
diablodow
The fluffy snake player

Titanium backup will restore app, app data, and some system settings. A nandroid will be like taking an image of the OS as a whole and making a copy.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 AM #52
Blazestorm2
I like me

The OS is considered everything to run Android that doesn't include apps.

What's considered an app? Is the keyboard an app? The notification bar? Or is that part of the OS. Is the style of the UI for the OS determined by the OS you have loaded? As in, can you replace the "look" of your phone, but still be technically running the same OS. Or do you replace the entire OS if you want to change the appearance.

This is the kind of stuff that I don't know that bugs me... I just press buttons and follow tutorials, but I don't know exactly what's going on. How are apps stored on the file system? Are they just hanging out in a folder? How does Titanium backup know where each app stores it's data? NANDroid just taking an image of the OS is a bit easier to accept.

Also got the MOGA controller for Christmas, didn't know it existed... But once I get this setup I should be able to connect it to the Nexus and play some of these games with a real controller...
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 AM #53
atm743

has been a member for 10 years
atm743 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
dont mean to bring up this blasphemy in this thread but i want to know if any of you guys owned a ipad mini.

i sold my 8gb nexus 7 on ebay for 190 (shocked i lucked out) my main plan was to sell it so i can buy the 32 gb version but noticed i was not using the nexus that much. so was got to put it towards my home file server but never ended up using the $.

was thinking about getting the ipad mini just cause of the screen size. i like the aspect ratio. i never messed with one but saw it behind a case at walmart and liked how the screen is wider than the nexus.

has anyone messed with one? i came from an iphone3g/4/4s and now im on my gs3 and love it. im used to apple **** but idk which to go for. only thing thats holding me back on this is the resolution of the screen. i dont care that its not SUPER HD whatever bs they push. but at the same time. my step mom has a ipad 2 and imo the screen res and PPI looks like ***.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 PM #54
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk

purely from the money stand point id have to go N7 over the ipad mini, though i do think the mini is nicer. but like someone else said (maybe dehr?) android feels better on a tablet because it has more freedom, it feels more like a laptop IMO

Last edited by AuxiliaryPie : 01-02-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:57 PM #55
drew`
jeajea

Annual Supporting Member
drew` supports Team VICIOUS
drew` supports Pev's Paintball
drew` supports DLX Technology
Looks like good ol' Sprint is going to end my job search. I'll let you all know the inside scoop with everything