Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM #946
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPAPressure View Post
How hard will it actually be to modify/remove that? Not very.
As hard as they want to make it. Requiring an electronic switch to move a physical object or anything of the like is a pretty decent safeguard. Removing the electronics would render the gun completely useless. You'd have to replace and/or hack the chip itself to work.

Think about it this way:
Can you make an electronic paintball marker shoot after removing the electronics board from the grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
No it wouldn't have, because as I said, adam lanza could have just disabled the chip.
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Most people are shot outside of schools and churches. You'd essentially have to set the chip to....everywhere.
Pretty much. This is why I think it's most useful by simply recognizing the owner of the firearm.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 01-17-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 PM #947
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
As hard as they want to make it. Requiring an electronic switch to move a pneumatic piston or anything of the like is a pretty decent safeguard. Removing the electronics would render the gun completely useless. You'd have to replace and/or hack the chip itself to work.

Think about it this way:
Can you make an electronic paintball marker shoot after removing the electronics board from the grip?

Nope.

Pretty much. This is why I think it's most useful by simply recognizing the owner of the firearm.
I'd say it's best left to the consumer to choose whether they want.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:34 PM #948
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pretty hard to modify 200,000,000 guns that are in circulation. noone would want a gun that has that if it meant in certain areas they would be rendered helpless. its a nice idea on paper but in reality its a complete failure...

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:35 PM #949
Space Pope

I also don't like the idea of the government being able to disable my guns, and for that matter criminals being able to disable my firearm with electronics. The idea sounds good on the surface but leave the user of the firearm vulnerable. Could you imagine if you could buy a device that would kill the guns police are carrying?
Space Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 PM #950
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Rfid is easily hackable. It can be hacked in passing, it can be hacked in use, the security hole of rfid is a know detractor to the use of this technology.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM #951
tomM925
R.I.P America.

tomM925 supports DLX Technology
Firearms were not designed to operate around chips. They would not be applicable on the millions of firearms already in current circulation, only ones designed in the future... Wouldn't solve sh**.

OBAMA SUCKS.
tomM925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM #952
Blake360

Quote:
As hard as they want to make it. Requiring an electronic switch to move a physical object or anything of the like is a pretty decent safeguard. Removing the electronics would render the gun completely useless. You'd have to replace and/or hack the chip itself to work.
Paintball guns and real guns don't operate nearly in the same way so that's not a valid comparison.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:41 PM #953
tomM925
R.I.P America.

Quote:
Paintball guns and real guns don't operate nearly in the same way so that's not a valid comparison.

OBAMA SUCKS.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 PM #954
Treghc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
I'd say it's best left to the consumer to choose whether they want.
Sure. Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdisc View Post
pretty hard to modify 200,000,000 guns that are in circulation.
I'm not talking about doing that.

Quote:
Basic premise is still the same. Forcing the use of an electronic component to trigger the movement of a physical object to begin the firing sequence. Pretend all you want, but it is more than possible to design guns that won't work unless this electronic signal is sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Rfid is easily hackable. It can be hacked in passing, it can be hacked in use, the security hole of rfid is a know detractor to the use of this technology.
Now here is a decent risk exposure. RFID's can be shielded, but it would be rather hard and troublesome to circumvent this problem reliably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Pope View Post
I also don't like the idea of the government being able to disable my guns, and for that matter criminals being able to disable my firearm with electronics. The idea sounds good on the surface but leave the user of the firearm vulnerable. Could you imagine if you could buy a device that would kill the guns police are carrying?
I'm thinking of it more in terms of the gun is always "off" unless the owner is present. Police wouldn't have the ability to turn the gun off remotely unless they got you out of range of the gun. I don't want the government to have such power either.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 PM #955
licence2kill
POOP

yup you anti-gun control guys sure are reasonable
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 PM #956
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomM925 View Post
Firearms were not designed to operate around chips. They would not be applicable on the millions of firearms already in current circulation, only ones designed in the future... Wouldn't solve sh**.
It would not apply to all rifles, but it would apply to some (new ones at minimum). Treg already addressed this. Please read.

Quote:
Look at it this way:

900 people being killed is better than 1,200 people being killed.
900 people being killed is better than 910 people being killed. Anything that can save lives in certain situations should be looked at in order to help prevent murder.

I'm not saying it's the end-all, so please don't act sensationally when I bring this up. This tech could help prevent the theft of use of illegal firearms.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM #957
Blake360

Quote:

900 people being killed is better than 1,200 people being killed.
900 people being killed is better than 910 people being killed. Anything that can save lives in certain situations should be looked at in order to help prevent murder.
Then why are rifles specifically being targeted when they've only killed 358 people in 2010, compared to 6,009 with handguns? Even knives killed more people, 1,704 in the same year. For that matter, people's hands and feet killed more people, 745 to be exact. Should we start banning body parts now? It looks like the numbers don't matter after all otherwise rifles would be pretty low on the priority list.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM #958
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by licence2kill View Post
would love to hear your "reasonable" idea of what to do..please share!

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM #959
Space Pope

Quote:
It gets harder and harder to take you seriously.

Quote:
Sure. Makes sense.

I'm not talking about doing that.

Basic premise is still the same. Forcing the use of an electronic component to trigger the movement of a physical object to begin the firing sequence. Pretend all you want, but it is more than possible to design guns that won't work unless this electronic signal is sent.

Now here is a decent risk exposure. RFID's can be shielded, but it would be rather hard and troublesome to circumvent this problem reliably.

I'm thinking of it more in terms of the gun is always "off" unless the owner is present. Police wouldn't have the ability to turn the gun off remotely unless they got you out of range of the gun. I don't want the government to have such power either.
The signal can be blocked very easily remotely with readily available and inexpensive jammers.
Space Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:11 PM #960
tomM925
R.I.P America.

Quote:
Then why are rifles specifically being targeted when they've only killed 358 people in 2010, compared to 6,009 with handguns? Even knives killed more people, 1,704 in the same year. For that matter, people's hands and feet killed more people, 745 to be exact. Should we start banning body parts now? It looks like the numbers don't matter after all otherwise rifles would be pretty low on the priority list.
Get em.

Don't forget about how more people were murdered with hammers than the whole rifle category.

It's all a bunch of bull. Criminals are totally going to continue obeying the current laws as well the future ones.

**** this.

OBAMA SUCKS.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:11 PM #961
licence2kill
POOP

so how many cops will you guys kill when obama realizes his newton conspiriacy plan to take your guns and throw all the nations white people in jail?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:13 PM #962
Volucris
asmuchtextastheywillallow

Quote:
so how many cops will you guys kill when obama realizes his newton conspiriacy plan to take your guns and throw all the nations white people in jail?
You have been reported for trolling.
Volucris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:13 PM #963
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
I'd rather not have to change batteries or worry about electronics failures in a gun i'm banking my life on. I also don't want to have my gun disabled because I don't have whatever item it uses to verify it is within proximity to me, or to have it non functional for my girlfriend because I'm at work.

That and what good would it really be with so many guns out there that it wouldn't be able to be fitted to?
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:13 PM #964
licence2kill
POOP

not trolling, haven't you been reading the posts in here? these are real concerns
Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 PM #965
IgnoranceInABag

Annual Supporting Member
IgnoranceInABag plays in the PSP
IgnoranceInABag plays in the APPA D1 division
woa, when did this become a race issue? and if people were to rebel it would be against the national gaurd more than likely
Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 PM #966
Treghc

Quote:
When did I specifically target rifles?

I'll respond more later. At lunch.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien