Community Focus

Old 09-08-2014, 11:51 PM #1
paintballedge06

has been a member for 10 years
paintballedge06 plays in the PSP
paintballedge06 is an NCPA player
paintballedge06 plays in the APPA D3 division
Cross country motorcycle trip...need help planning

Ok since I have not rode across country yet I am wanting to get opinions from people that might live in the states I am planning on crossing. I will be leaving from the Cincinnati ohio area next year sometime and am wanting to do a coast to "semi coast trip" ... wont be hitting up the east coast as I have already done that.

My question is this, I have multiple options for routes. Just curious if anyone in here has any experience or suggestions (with reasons) for particular routes. As I see it I can either go north and over towards seattle or ride through the middle of the country and diagonal towards LA. Planning on riding only 400-500 a day so wanting good scenery and potential stops.

Thanks for your help guys
paintballedge06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2014, 11:59 PM #2
RBR321
I'll bring the pizzas.

RBR321 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
RBR321 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
RBR321 supports Team VICIOUS
RBR321 supports DLX Technology
It's getting cold in the north, **** the north. Go ride across the middle ****s, Idaho and Utah are ****ing rad
"Originally posted by XSVterror16 V.4: Alright, let me break this down for you. Subaru is a company with stars and a blue background in it's symbol. The national color of Australia is blue and their nights have lots of stars in the sky. Subaru uses bockster motors from Porches. Subaru is Australian and uses Porche motors in their cars. Understand?"
'MURICA
RBR321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:03 AM #3
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Have you ridden 400 miles in a day? Are you giving yourself any kind of buffer zone for leaving and returning? Camping or staying in cheap hotels? Highway or back roads?
automagwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:58 AM #4
paintballedge06

Thanks for the input RBR. I am not planning on doing it till next year around July so weather shouldn't be a factor (besides rain).
Old 09-09-2014, 11:01 AM #5
paintballedge06

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagwarrior View Post
Have you ridden 400 miles in a day? Are you giving yourself any kind of buffer zone for leaving and returning? Camping or staying in cheap hotels? Highway or back roads?
I actually did a 2600 mile trip look this past summer. Riding around 4-500 a day 2 up. Planning on leaving myself a 5 day buffer also my trip will be somewhat like the one I did this summer. If the weather looks bad I will avoid it. I rode with no destination this past year just running from weather.

I'll prob be hotel staying and I will mainly stay highway unless there are great back roads or two lane roads that can get me in the direction of the coast.

I have some great motorcycle mapping tools I used this past trip but some of the "stops" and "roads" recommended where nothing special to me. Wanted like minded individuals to give me some opinions
Old 09-09-2014, 11:47 AM #6
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Dam that's pretty good. We are toast after 300 miles 2 up. My philosophy is that you miss everything this country has to offer on the highway so I stay off it unless I am avoiding rain. Personally I would do less miles per day but take back roads. I don't have one of those fancy m/c specific GPS so I usually come up with a fun route the night before and put those directions in my tank bag.
automagwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:38 PM #7
lowbudgethero
Boomer

I'd take back roads, there's so many cool places to go and just random places to stop at. The route 151 in Virgina and the surrounding area has some really nice scenery.

If you're going through Oklahoma take a detour though rt 59/10 and 412, it helps get rid of the highway redundancy on I44.

Last edited by lowbudgethero : 09-09-2014 at 12:40 PM.
lowbudgethero is offline   Reply With Quote