Old 02-21-2015, 10:24 PM #1
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Ydna is BST Trusted
Cool Beam-break milling for Shocker SFT -- March 2015 group buy

Hello humans! I'm going to schedule a weekend to perform beam-break milling for Shocker SFT markers, allowing them to utilize NXT beam-break eyes. Typically I'm only able to perform the milling after about a half dozen guys send their marker bodies in for the retrofit, which only happens about once per year. We were talking in the Shocker forum about it and there's enough demand to do a LARGE batch of markers at once, which will lead to a cheaper price. I'm listing the standard prices below, which will probably be around 10% less if enough people send in their bodies. (so....plan for the prices below, and get ready for a discount)

Check the next post for pretty pictures!

This is what I can do for you:
- Body milling to allow NXT eyes.
- New left side eye cover.
- New eye screw (the body will be threaded same as Shocker NXTs, the screw is more difficult to strip out)

You must supply these parts on your own: (I do not have any of these parts!!)
- Shocker NXT beam-break eye ribbon
- Shocker NXT lower board, or aftermarket board that can control NXT eyes
- If you choose to use an SFT-style eye cover, you will also need another "long" threaded ball detent.

There are several options for the modification, depending on the type of detent parts you wish to use. Look below! Ask if you have questions!!

OPTIONS: (look here for prices)

Option 1: SFT-style eye cover
This is a mirrored replica of the Vision eye cover, similar to the right side of the marker. It requires another "long" threaded detent (you must supply your own detent).
$15 - base charge for beambreak eye milling
+$9 - "SFT style" left side eye cover (black or silver)
+$6.75 - return shipping via priority mail

Option 2: NXT-style detent covers
These customized eye covers work with NXT detents. They feature a clean appearance with more modern hardware, but are more expensive, and you need both a right and left.
+$40 - left and right pair of "NXT style" detent covers (black or silver) includes detent and spring. Note: we're trying to get the price down, but still trying to figure out the costs associated with the NXT detents. I will update as more info becomes available.

Option 3: Use your own NXT detent cover (from Smart Parts or aftermarket).
The body milling is compatible with any NXT eye covers that you might already have, whether it's from a base model Shocker, private label Shocker, or Kila NXT eye covers.

The tentative date for the milling is March 14, 2015. I MUST RECEIVE YOUR MARKER BODY BEFORE THIS DATE!! You can't get in on the group discount if it arrives late.

If you're interested, mail your marker in ANYTIME! You have about two weeks from the time of this post. Monday March 9 [2015] is probably the cutoff date for shipping bodies, unless you ship it in express.

Andrew DuBuc
PO Box 62
Tecumseh, MI 49286

Do you want more info? Post here or email me ydna-at-zdspb-dot-com

Update 1 - The cutoff date has officially passed! If you haven't sent your body in yet, you should wait for the next batch (couple months from now)
Update 2 - Work has begun! Check post number 92 for a picture - link
Update 3 - Body milling is done. Check post number 97 for pictures - link
Thin Air Sports

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".

Last edited by Ydna : 03-17-2015 at 12:08 AM. Reason: updates on the work-in-progress
Ydna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2015, 10:24 PM #2
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
This post is reserved for pictures!

I've been performing this modification on-and-off for many years. Here's a picture of a couple bodies after the milling was compelted:

Here's a picture of a marker with a SFT-style eye cover: (available in black anodized or silver/raw)

Here's a picture of a marker with the NXT-style detent covers: (available in black anodized or silver/raw)

Note: the eye cover above was being held by the "standard" cap screws. I like these because they use a deeper allen key hex, which makes them less likely to strip out. However, I also carry the "button head" cap screws if you prefer that look. It's up to you.

If you're interested in seeing exactly how the process is done, well I have a special video just for you!

I have lots of other pictures so if you'd like to see anything in particular then just ask away and I'll see what I can do!

Thanks, Andy
Thin Air Sports

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Old 02-22-2015, 06:10 AM #3
SPAWNOFSATAN

SPAWNOFSATAN owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SPAWNOFSATAN owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SPAWNOFSATAN supports Team VICIOUS
SPAWNOFSATAN supports DLX Technology
post to find later
Old 02-22-2015, 10:31 AM #4
tall white guy
^I regret this^

Annual Supporting Member
tall white guy plays in the PSP
tall white guy is an NCPA player
Wow, great price for custom work
tall white guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:45 PM #5
Jurd
Dervishboy05

Awesome! I will be shipping on the 9th!

How torn down do you want the bodies? Feedneck? Noid inserts?

Thanks for offering this service!
Jurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:58 PM #6
vanflynn

vanflynn owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
vanflynn has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
getting my new shocker just in time
vanflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:22 PM #7
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
Good question on the disassembly, I forgot to mention that. For the cheapest shipping cost I recommend sending in only the body, rather than the whole marker. You can leave the feedneck installed, just no frame or solenoid is needed.
You can send in the whole thing if you don't want to take it apart, but the return shipping cost will end up being higher since it will require a larger box.
Thin Air Sports

As told by Stobaeus
Old 02-23-2015, 04:54 PM #8
Banil

Banil supports Empire
What is the return shipping costs associated with international delivery. I assume it is kore than the $6.75
Banil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:44 PM #9
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
It depends on your country, but most places would be around $11-13. I'll respond to your PM!
Thin Air Sports

As told by Stobaeus
Old 02-23-2015, 11:51 PM #10
NDomipolo

NDomipolo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NDomipolo has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
NDomipolo supports DLX Technology
I'm down for a sft eye cover and bb miling.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:24 AM #11
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey plays in the APPA D5 division
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
Yay it is actually happening! My SFT body is ready and waiting for this announcement.

How do you want us to arrange payment? MO with the body?

==========================================
WISCONSIN NAVARONE
==========================================
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:28 PM #12
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Annual Supporting Member
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured supports Team VICIOUS
Team_ILLNatured plays in the APPA D5 division
Team_ILLNatured is Boss
Are the NXT covers Anodized, or will they come raw

Edit:

Just saw they are available in Black, or raw. What is the finish? Dust or gloss?
Depew Decepticonz #1 2013 USPA Batavia Novice Div Sectional Champions
Belfast Bombers #01 2012 2nd Place USPA Novice Div
Depew ILLNatured #0 2011 3rd place USPA , Great Lakes Division
My ShEGO project!
"Originally posted by Spitlebug: You are right, my penis simply will not accept anything smaller than 68 caliber. :D"
Team_ILLNatured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:22 AM #13
XIXIceIXI
((0))Shocker Owner((0))

XIXIceIXI is playing at Living Legends VII
XIXIceIXI owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
XIXIceIXI has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
XIXIceIXI has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I am wanting to get my SFT Milled with NXT Eye Covers for Virtue Laser Eyes. Im new to Pbnation
XIXIceIXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:06 AM #14
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocker_Monkey View Post
Yay it is actually happening! My SFT body is ready and waiting for this announcement.
How do you want us to arrange payment? MO with the body?
Paypal works, you can also send payment with the marker body when you box it up. It's quicker that way, although most people do paypal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_ILLNatured View Post
Are the NXT covers Anodized, or will they come raw
Edit:
Just saw they are available in Black, or raw. What is the finish? Dust or gloss?
I have black gloss anodized covers right now but I'm also going to get some done in black dust finish. We do black anodizing all the time so it's easy to get more made. Unfortunately we don't do silver ano very often so I doubt I'll have any silver ones ready in time
Thin Air Sports

As told by Stobaeus
Old 02-26-2015, 10:43 AM #15
Jaccen

Side note--of your 3 options, which do you personally feel is the best way to go?

My only SFT is already milled, but I'm super happy that someone is offering this service again. Props.
Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:11 PM #16
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
Well, it depends on what type of goals you have in mind for the marker. If you just want NXT eyes with the simplest way to get them then the SFT-style eye cover is easiest and cheapest. However if you want a bit more reliability and future-proofing then the NXT eyes are probably better...but much more expensive at present.

Personally I have a mix of the two. My purple 2003 Shocker in the pictures above has the SFT style with stock Impulse detents. BUT...I have no spares for those detents so I might be replacing them in the future if/when the ball blows out. I run the NXT detents in my other Shocker.

In terms of popularity, most people seem to go the cheapest and easiest route which is the SFT-style eye cover. Either way you're getting rid of the reflective eyes so you come out ahead no matter what
Thin Air Sports

As told by Stobaeus
Old 02-27-2015, 04:37 PM #17
SpinE
AlcoholicBeverageHandler

SpinE has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If you use stock NXT eye covers, will they sit more flush like the NXT?
SpinE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:25 PM #18
Jurd
Dervishboy05

Cant wait!
Jurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:11 PM #19
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
NXT stock eye covers stick out a bit past a Shocker SFT body. They definitely don't match, but they will indeed work once the marker is modded. I don't have any pics, sorry...
Thin Air Sports

As told by Stobaeus
Old 02-27-2015, 09:55 PM #20
XIXIceIXI
((0))Shocker Owner((0))

XIXIceIXI is playing at Living Legends VII
XIXIceIXI owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
XIXIceIXI has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
XIXIceIXI has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Im wanting this done for my Sft too. How much will it cost and how many can you do? Whats the best Eyes for the SFT?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:20 AM #21
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
I replied to your PM!

Note - milling is scheduled for two weeks from this post. Anybody looking to have the mod done should get the marker in the mail within the following week. I don't recommend waiting till the last minute!
Thin Air Sports

As told by Stobaeus
ReplyGold Ups

Rules for Buy/Sell/Trade Forums
  1. Buy/Sell/Trade here on PbNation at your own risk. We assume no responsibility for any part of any transaction. Never send money or product before a deal is agreed to by both sides and full contact information is exchanged and verified. Do not rely on PM's. If the other party is unwilling to share contact information, then don't deal with them. Please read more B/S/T tips here.
  2. If you feel that you could offer a better deal, then make a new thread in the correct forum with your ad. Never post your item in another user's thread and ruin their chances at selling their gear. Do not post negative comments about someone else's item for sale even about their price.
  3. No flaming at all. Please be polite to both the seller and potential buyers. If you donít like something being sold or the price the seller is asking, go to another thread and simply donít post in theirs. Sellers also have an obligation to be polite to users who post in the thread. If it is a scam or violates our rules, report the post and specify in detail what is improper.
  4. We recommend you always check for new and old PbN feedback as well as the Theft Report Forum before considering any deal here.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins section. Please read and follow the complete Terms of Service and the complete B/S/T Rules as well. Most B/S/T questions are answered in the PbNation FAQ.