Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-26-2012, 12:34 PM #1
theophilus

theophilus supports Pev's Paintball
Is today's smaller paint causing more breaks?

So as most of us know, the paintballs of today are much smaller than they were just a few years ago. Even my .678 Eigenbarrel isn't small enough to underbore on some of local field paint on cooler days.

I recently had some breaks from my Etek 3 AM, but it was mostly attributed to a missing ball detent. However, I was watching the slow-motion video of the Planet Eclipse Cure 3 bolt, and it just occurred to me that force fed loaders put enough pressure on the feed stack, and today's smaller paint allows more of the second ball to enter into the breech. This is why all the newer bolts are modded to have a ramp on top, so they can push the next ball out of the way in order to prevent a break.

I'm sure paintball manufacturers have noticed this. Are newer guns being tweaked to accommodate today's smaller paint? Smaller breaches to allow less excess space above the ball would equate to less ball breaks, and it would allow guns to feed even faster and more reliably.

Would love to hear what you guys have to say!

Last edited by theophilus : 12-26-2012 at 12:36 PM.
theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2012, 12:48 PM #2
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theophilus View Post
So as most of us know, the paintballs of today are much smaller than they were just a few years ago. Even my .678 Eigenbarrel isn't small enough to underbore on some of local field paint on cooler days.

I recently had some breaks from my Etek 3 AM, but it was mostly attributed to a missing ball detent. However, I was watching the slow-motion video of the Planet Eclipse Cure 3 bolt, and it just occurred to me that force fed loaders put enough pressure on the feed stack, and today's smaller paint allows more of the second ball to enter into the breech. This is why all the newer bolts are modded to have a ramp on top, so they can push the next ball out of the way in order to prevent a break.

I'm sure paintball manufacturers have noticed this. Are newer guns being tweaked to accommodate today's smaller paint? Smaller breaches to allow less excess space above the ball would equate to less ball breaks, and it would allow guns to feed even faster and more reliably.

Would love to hear what you guys have to say!
What your describing will occur regardless of the paint size. The newer bolts simply reduce the amount of contact during the cycle. They were designed to fix an already occuring issue, not to adapt to newer small paint sizes. Breach sizing hasn't changed over the years but bolt design has made great leaps. In many cases, the newer smaller paint runs better through guns/loaders as it leaves a smaller margin for misshapen or swollen paint. Additionally companies are simply doing it to save costs.

As far as your breaks go, that ball detent was absolutely the cause. Ball detents are probably the largest culprit of paint breaks seconded by excessive loader force settings and then just poor quality paint. Eclipse guns are generally extremely gentle on paint so I wouldn't sweat the issue much.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:42 AM #3
Jinx18
Dynamic

Jinx18 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stealthy View Post
What your describing will occur regardless of the paint size. The newer bolts simply reduce the amount of contact during the cycle. They were designed to fix an already occuring issue, not to adapt to newer small paint sizes. Breach sizing hasn't changed over the years but bolt design has made great leaps. In many cases, the newer smaller paint runs better through guns/loaders as it leaves a smaller margin for misshapen or swollen paint. Additionally companies are simply doing it to save costs.

As far as your breaks go, that ball detent was absolutely the cause. Ball detents are probably the largest culprit of paint breaks seconded by excessive loader force settings and then just poor quality paint. Eclipse guns are generally extremely gentle on paint so I wouldn't sweat the issue much.
I totally disagree. The smaller the paintball the more of the second one that will be in the breach leading to more of the ball getting clipped. I do think that the addition of these ramped bolt tops is because of the smaller paint. I don't think they have gotten to the point of altering breach size but I do think companies have made bolt mods.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Jinx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 AM #4
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx18 View Post
I totally disagree. The smaller the paintball the more of the second one that will be in the breach leading to more of the ball getting clipped. I do think that the addition of these ramped bolt tops is because of the smaller paint. I don't think they have gotten to the point of altering breach size but I do think companies have made bolt mods.
I would agree that you have more ball in there to get clipped with smaller paint but I don't think the issue specifically caused the creation of the ramped top faces on bolts. All paintballs benefit from this design feature regardless of size. Additionally we have been able to shoot more and more brittle paint as years have progressed largely due to bolt design and loader improvements. If paint is playing a role I guess I am just not seeing it as I have had far fewer breaks as years go on than I did when I first started playing in 2001.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:23 AM #5
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Your problem? Open bolt.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:43 PM #6
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

has been a member for 10 years
No to the above.

I'd also be willing to bet it was your ball detent. I think paint quality as a whole has also decreased so it's just ****tier to start with because manufacturers are cutting costs and also because the average person doesn't care about good paint/doesn't realize there is such a thing as "good paint".
Old 12-27-2012, 05:29 PM #7
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Your problem? Open bolt.
So every current manufactured marker breaks paint a lot?

I am assuming you meant exposed bolt which would also be a false statements. Many of the stack tube poppits on the market are extremely gentle on paint. Eclipse guns as well are very well known for handling all sorts of paint without issue.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:11 PM #8
theophilus

theophilus supports Pev's Paintball
the problem was most definitely the detents, but i'm just saying that manufacturers can further decrease the likelihood of a chop by adjusting the specs on their markers to reflect the changes in paintball sizes.
theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 PM #9
theVicious1

Annual Supporting Member
OP makes a good point. I doubt manufacturers would make a smaller breach, because large paint is still out there. A breach insert kit is more likely. Look at what PE did with the .50 cal kits.
theVicious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:21 PM #10
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

has been a member for 10 years
You won't see any breach size change coming from the manufacturers when paint size varies so much depending on when and where it was made and when and where it is used.
2000 Tropic Green CSVT #836/2150
XBL: RapDonkey
Style: Basic Math
Dyoel182 is offline   Reply With Quote