Community Focus

Old 12-24-2012, 06:48 PM #1
eli1337
am i cool yet?

eli1337 supports Team VICIOUS
eli1337 plays in the APPA D5 division
eli1337 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Making enough money to play on a team

I'm trying to get on a team, however I need to make more money, I currently only make about 50 a month and I need to triple that, I'm 15 and I can't get a full time job, what could I do to pick up extra money??
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2012, 07:06 PM #2
TeamAlice
Peow Peow Peow Peow

TeamAlice owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
TeamAlice has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mow lawns, wash cars, anything you can

Weapon Planet Eclipse Etek 3AM w/ Hush Bolt & Ape Rampage Board
Hopper Dye Rotor V3 w/ Exalt Speed Feed
Tank Luxifer 48/3000 w/ Ninja Reg & Exalt Bottle Cover
The Rest Custom PE Team Jersey, HK Army Hardline Stealth pants, Dye i4's, HK Army Eject Harness 3+4, and Dye Core Knee & Elbow Pads, Dye Sandana and Derder Headband
TeamAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:31 PM #3
Symbiotic

Symbiotic has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Symbiotic has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I buy items cheap on either Craigslist or Ebay then turn around to sell them for a profit. It makes me more enough to continue playing the game; so you could try that if you have some start up cash.
Symbiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:04 PM #4
Raz@r@hotlanta1990

Raz@r@hotlanta1990 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli1337 View Post
I'm trying to get on a team, however I need to make more money, I currently only make about 50 a month and I need to triple that, I'm 15 and I can't get a full time job, what could I do to pick up extra money??
Bud either that team has a really good sponser or the cost to play competitivly in the part of the country you live in must be real low. Since you posted this in the tournament thread i assume this is a tourny team you are trying to get on? More realistic ball park figure is more like 200-300 a mo/ atleast that if not more for d6/d5 or whatever your entry levle rank is. Not trying to be rude but i know from personal expiernce bud.

Milsim Player- Complete All Black Dye Tactical gear and black DAM setup

Thanks Christ@Pooty for makeing my LUXE1.5w/2.0 board and 2.0 core 100%sexier with the 3 real Swavorski Chrystal mods!
Raz@r@hotlanta1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:21 PM #5
JLH cK
USN

JLH cK owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
JLH cK has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the $50 you earn a month is probably an allowance. Simply put you need a job.

It's surprising how many entry level jobs there are out there that are part-time and making decent money. It all about how much effort you put into the application/interview process and what you feel you have to offer to a potential employer.

Apply for a job you want or you feel you could be good at.. also somewhere you could see yourself advancing. Don't go to the typical places like McDonald's or Burger King. I mean you're bound to get a job here and if that's what you want go for it. But places like auto parts stores, grocery stores, actual restaurants, and call centers are great places to start out and little prior experience is often no problem.

The interview process to me was always the trickiest.. you have to make yourself sound better than the next guy. Just sound smart and dress like you want the job. I never had an interview where I didn't wear a shirt and tie. Except this one time I got an interview the same time I turned in an application and got hired on the spot.

When you do get hired somewhere put an effort into your work and always strive to be the best. My first job was at Chuck E Cheese... go ahead laugh. yes I was the mouse sometime but that place was fun as hell to work and I did that for close to 3 years. Call centers depending on what you do can be pretty bad. AT&T sucked but on the same hand I worked for a gutter company and all we did was drink at work (21+) and bull**** all day.

Process:
1. Get applications.
2. Fill out and turn in applications.
3. Check on applications (call the place you turned them into and say "Hi my name is __, just checking to see if you've had the chance to go over my application I turned in. They'll say some bull**** to get you off the phone then possibly call you back if you spark their interest. You should wait a week from the time you turn in the app to call and check on it. That way they have some time to look at it and then take another look at it when you call back.
4. Interview time.. sometimes you'll have more than one but like I said.. always dress up. I think I wore my homecoming outfit to my first interview.. tacky as **** but it worked.

Hope this advise works for you.. good luck and merry christmas.
JLH cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 AM #6
gator50
futurama?

gator50 is BST Trusted
gator50 plays in the PSP
gator50 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
gator50 supports DLX Technology
sometimes the best place to look is the paintball field your team plays out of. Most fields are dying for help. Given the quality of workers most fields ive seen are hiring, if you can put forth a decent work ethic, a lot of fields have no problem covering you on sunday morning. It might mean working saturday/sunday afternoon, but it will be a good lesson in working hard for something you want and you will get to play.

Also, working around paintball would probably be a pretty sweet deal for someone your age, especially since they are going to understand at some point youre going to want to play. I started working at a grocery store to pay for paintball, and maybe played 2 or 3 times after I got the job because the times they wanted me to work were weekends. 5 years later I got a legit job that had weekends off and i finally had both time and money to play.

ATLANTA OUTRAGE
gator50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:24 AM #7
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
Look into becoming an official for youth sports. I became a soccer ref for youth club games and they pay cash on field. I was 14 when I started and I still do it today at 22. That cash is my paintball money while my other job takes care of my other expenses. You can also look into umpiring baseball for little league or city league or reffing basketball for the YMCA.

Pm me if you have any questions about how to get started. I'm from the same area as you (Redlands) and play at ASG every week.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 PM #8
Chris1659

Chris1659 plays in the APPA D5 division
See if Valley Wide on Esplanade is hiring, I think they give out jobs like monkeyballer said.
I'm in Hemet
Chris1659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:24 PM #9
billy1234
pew pew

**** i make 60 times more than you do n still struggle to work in paintball into the mix. **** bills. typical weekend paintball practice for me is 50 bucks gas because i live 3 hours away from the field, 60 for 2 cases of paint, 25 entry, 8 bucks cause wife always wants starbucks in the morning, 30-50 because wife wants to go out to eat after practice. bout 175 bucks a weekend just for paintball, nppl vegas cost me personally ~1200 dollars just for gas/entry/paint/room/team tepanyake dinner at caesars/random bull**** we bought. paintball aint cheap. would really love to live 5 minutes from a good practice field. why im taking a hiatus at the moment
you will NEVER be forgotten

Last edited by billy1234 : 12-29-2012 at 10:38 PM.
billy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:42 PM #10
r90t
Doc

r90t is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1234 View Post
**** i make 60 times more than you do n still struggle to work in paintball into the mix. **** bills. typical weekend paintball practice for me is 50 bucks gas because i live 3 hours away from the field, 60 for 2 cases of paint, 25 entry, 8 bucks cause wife always wants starbucks in the morning, 30-50 because wife wants to go out to eat after practice. bout 175 bucks a weekend just for paintball, nppl vegas cost me personally ~1200 dollars just for gas/entry/paint/room/team tepanyake dinner at caesars/random bull**** we bought. paintball aint cheap. would really love to live 5 minutes from a good practice field. why im taking a hiatus at the moment
Tournament play isn't cheap with practice, entry and even local travel. Plan on 120/month for paint alone. Get a sponsorship from a field and play for free, but you end up wasting your weekend cleaning bunkers. Then, you have entry for a local tournament and paint can be 100-300.

Jobs that support this for your age and school responsibilities, not a whole lot. Best ways to raise money-flip things on ebay from Craigslist and garage sales. Lawn mowing/gardening- you do a good job and people pay 50-100/month. My gardener is 100/month right now, but that includes mowing, tree trimming, edging, etc....not just cutting grass. Get 4 yards and your play is covered.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 PM #11
chrom3penguin (Banned)

chrom3penguin owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
chrom3penguin supports Team VICIOUS
chrom3penguin supports Pev's Paintball
OP is shocked
chrom3penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 PM #12
aquadgio1
Im your huckleberry

aquadgio1 is a Supporting Member
aquadgio1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
aquadgio1 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Since you are in California and are a full time student (highschool), you cannot get a full time job, just partime...but you will have to wait till atleast you are 16. (use to be 15 1/2) not sure if they have changed the law. Check to see if your local town has a small news paper in which you can be a paperboy, i did that 18 years ago and it was fun. Good luck on getting extra funds.... playing is not cheap, i fork out: Entry+Air 20 to 25, Paint: 30 to 45 a case, plus other small expenses (food, transportation) 75 to 100 per day of playing....and thats on the conservative side with 1 case of paint being used.
NEXUS SHOOTING VID
Black Widow Paintball
Krush's Paint & Air
Stick-Em Paintball
Velocity Paintball
aquadgio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 PM #13
theVicious1

Annual Supporting Member
$50/month? You can't afford to play paintball without MAJOR sponsorship support.

You're only a few miles from SCVillage, so you've got a great place to play and make connections. If you can't make the capital for a real commitment to play then play as often as you can and network with players and teams. When you can afford to play you will have connections to play.

Good luck. Not a cheap sport.
theVicious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 AM #14
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
I'm 15 and I can't get a full time job
You COULD get a full time job at age 15, you're probably just not trying hard enough. That, or you think you're too good to work at McDonalds or something like that.

Everyone has to pay their dues working a **** job when they're your age. Get to it, son. Stop relying on mom & dad, get out there.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 AM #15
Bump_Pitch

Bump_Pitch owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Bump_Pitch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bump_Pitch has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bump_Pitch has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
I work at my local field and I'm only 16
Bump_Pitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 AM #16
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
You COULD get a full time job at age 15, you're probably just not trying hard enough. That, or you think you're too good to work at McDonalds or something like that.
I think you are confusing full-time with part time.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 PM #17
aquadgio1
Im your huckleberry

aquadgio1 is a Supporting Member
aquadgio1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
aquadgio1 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post

Everyone has to pay their dues working a **** job when they're your age. Get to it, son. Stop relying on mom & dad, get out there.
Full time= 32 to 40 hours per week, unless you are in India or work in sweat shop conditions in China like SNAKESNIPER does....you CANNOT get a full time job in California if you are a student in High School while school is in session. You can however work PART TIME and work limited hours during school nights and work up to 8 hours in a day on non school nights. When you are on summer break, you can however work full time @ 40 hours per week. Here is some helpful information below to help you understand what hours you can work based on your age and school attendance:

WORK HOURS FOR MINORS
(California & Federal Labor Codes)
Under age 12:
Prohibited except for entertainment industry
Ages 12-13:
Prohibited in firms subject to Federal Standards Act

Ages 16-17:
School in session:
4 hours maximum per day/day before a school day
8 hours maximum per day/day before a non-school day
28 hours total per week (may vary from district to district)
Range of hours: 5:00am - 10:00pm
5:00 - 12:30am (if no school next day)
Ages 14-15:
School in session
3 hours maximum per day/day before a school day
8 hours maximum per day/day before a non-school day
18 hours maximum per week
Range of hours: 7:00am - 7:00pm any day

Summer (June 15 - Labor Day):
8 hours maximum per day/any day
40 hours maximum per week
Range of hours: 7:00am-9:00pm any day

School in session (enrolled in Work Experience Education):
48 hours total per week
Range of hours: (as above)

Summer (June 15 - Labor Day)
48 hours per week
Range of hours: 5:00am - 12:30am
NEXUS SHOOTING VID
Black Widow Paintball
Krush's Paint & Air
Stick-Em Paintball
Velocity Paintball

Last edited by aquadgio1 : 01-05-2013 at 01:24 PM.
aquadgio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:57 PM #18
Raz@r@hotlanta1990

Raz@r@hotlanta1990 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Keep in mind to you more than likely will have to work weekends with whatever job you get sure it sucks but it beats being unemployed&broke im not saying u cant find a mon-fri job at ur age but its rare... with that being said most teams practice on the weekends sundays most of the time youll have to balance work/paintball i did it when i was ur age most employers will approve leave requests as long as you give the employer a minium amount of time in advance examaple 1-3 weeks before desired day(s) off. If your dedicated to the sport you'll make time for it. Being young sucks but when you graduate school more career oriented opportunities will be available but for now get use to saying "do you want fries with that" hope that helps

Paintball isnt cheap its not a poor mans sport most ppl like me who play have careers that pay well not saying kids cant play tournaments but dont try to play tournament paintball on a consistent basis on a budget because the cost will only get higher

Milsim Player- Complete All Black Dye Tactical gear and black DAM setup

Thanks Christ@Pooty for makeing my LUXE1.5w/2.0 board and 2.0 core 100%sexier with the 3 real Swavorski Chrystal mods!

Last edited by Raz@r@hotlanta1990 : 01-05-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Raz@r@hotlanta1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:42 PM #19
Loading Memory
Member of TKO

Loading Memory is playing at Living Legends VI
Loading Memory owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Loading Memory supports Team VICIOUS
Loading Memory supports Team VICIOUS
Loading Memory has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
best way to make money is to find something that is in high demand around your place like for example when I was 14 and I wanted to play I saw we had a lot of businesses around us. And we all know that everyone uses technology so I fixed their computers for a really cheap price.
Loading Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:57 AM #20
billy1234
pew pew

i worked at a paintball field to make money to play while in highschool, what i didn't realize before hand was working every weekend doesn't really leave much time to play every weekend. i always wondered how all these 15 yr old kids were playing every weeekend with top of the line gear n **** for back then, then i realized they just had rich *** parents and were spoiled as ****.
you will NEVER be forgotten
billy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 PM #21
S_Carter
Nuclear Cowboy.

S_Carter plays in the PSP
S_Carter plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator50 View Post
sometimes the best place to look is the paintball field your team plays out of. Most fields are dying for help. Given the quality of workers most fields ive seen are hiring, if you can put forth a decent work ethic, a lot of fields have no problem covering you on sunday morning. It might mean working saturday/sunday afternoon, but it will be a good lesson in working hard for something you want and you will get to play.

Also, working around paintball would probably be a pretty sweet deal for someone your age, especially since they are going to understand at some point youre going to want to play. I started working at a grocery store to pay for paintball, and maybe played 2 or 3 times after I got the job because the times they wanted me to work were weekends. 5 years later I got a legit job that had weekends off and i finally had both time and money to play.
I've never really looked into working at a paintball field(especially the ones that only run on weekends), because if you're working at a paintball field, you don't have time to play. I'm sure fields have perks for employees, but make sure you'll actually have time to play paintball if taking a job at a field.

When I was 16 I got a job working in a grocery store, and I basically worked 5-9 shifts all week after school, then played paintball every weekend and the hours. My life was basically school-work-paintball for the last two years of high school, and it was awesome. Overall, I'd suggest to get a part time job wherever you can, grocery stores are an awesome environment if you can get into one and get decent hours.
S_Carter is offline   Reply With Quote