Community Focus

Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 PM #778
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher_Dorner View Post
Yall are just jealous of that million dollar smile.
Does anyone else smell smoke?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:45 PM #779
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

2/10. You're getting worse.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 PM #780
SevenGold-IV
Just the Tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
There is no need for grasping at straws, many gun owners dislike the NRA.
You can dislike the NRA for any reason so long as it isn't based on a lie. The NRA as an organization, through a variety of programs, promotes shooter safety and responsible gun ownership. The extreme viewpoints of some of its members do not change this fact. If you were a member of a shooting range or gun club and actually participated in your local gun culture you would probably understand better.

Quote:
Because that's how liability insurance works. If you want to drive a sports car you have to pay the premium. It's as if you want guns to exist in an alternate reality where nobody is responsible for anything involving a gun.
Comparing gun ownership to car ownership is foolish. If I shoot someone I am responsible for the consequences: civil and criminal. That's the reality now. Making me pay insurance on top of this does not reduce the likelihood that I will commit a crime, it just makes gun ownership more expensive. If your goal is to reduce legal gun ownership by making it too costly then by all means try and mandate liability insurance for guns; but it won't reduce crime. Criminals won't pay the insurance anyway.

Also, if I can no longer afford the insurance on my guns what do you propose becomes of them? Would they be confiscated?

Quote:
Or we could just drop the "responsible gun owner" pretense and admit you just don't want to be held responsible for accidents involving a dangerous tool.
If I have a gun accident I will be held accountable for both civil and criminal damages. Gun insurance won't change this. What about this don't you understand?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:56 AM #781
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
There is no need for grasping at straws, many gun owners dislike the NRA.
but do you know WHY?
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:19 PM #782
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/il...ic-safety.html

Per Chicago Chief of Police, lawful firearm owners are corrupt and endanger public safety. Also says we should interpret the Constitution by public opinion polls.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 PM #783
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, as there have been too many posts for me to comb through, but I am curious if anyone in here would feel safer on an airplane if everyone was allowed to carry on board? Any distinctions you think should be made in this regard, or would you still argue that more guns = more safe in this area as well?
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 PM #784
tsbalr120
Goooonsberry

tsbalr120 is an NCPA player
tsbalr120 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by spracks21 View Post
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, as there have been too many posts for me to comb through, but I am curious if anyone in here would feel safer on an airplane if everyone was allowed to carry on board? Any distinctions you think should be made in this regard, or would you still argue that more guns = more safe in this area as well?
Of course not.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:15 PM #785
Umami
"That guy"

Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex17 View Post
but do you know WHY?
Well, this pretty accurately describes why I don't like the NRA.

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/im-...nt?oid=3250854

edit: I'm not sure I agree with the end, though.

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.

Last edited by Umami : 02-21-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM #786
Umami
"That guy"

I feel this needs to be posted as well.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...178156938.html

From the point of view of a self-described "gun guy".

Quote:
Gun guys are right to object to government officials who propose sweeping gun controls without understanding guns. But until they take responsibility for the gun violence that so frightens their fellow citizens, they're setting themselves up for more regulation. Taking collective responsibility for social problems is not the same thing as knuckling under to a tyrannical government. In fact, it's the opposite.
Exactly.

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.

Last edited by Umami : 02-21-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 PM #787
Volucris
asmuchtextastheywillallow

How can we take responsibility for something we have no part of? It's like telling anyone who drinks Miller Lite that they need to take responsibility for the actions of drunk drivers.

Gun owners have ABSOLUTELY no obligation to take responsibility for the actions of lunatics, gangbangers, and general criminals. Is it really this difficult for you blame the perpetrator of a crime?

A self-described "gun guy" to WSJ is an anti-gun person dressed up to make liberal yuppies feel that they understand gun culture by listening to him. It's like believing the explanation of black culture by a white guy who happens to have a black friend.
Volucris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:25 PM #788
Umami
"That guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volucris View Post
How can we take responsibility for something we have no part of?
Read the article if you're going to comment on it.

Edit: I am curious to hear your opinion once you've read it, because right now it's painfully obvious you haven't.

SOG

Last edited by Umami : 02-21-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 AM #789
Umami
"That guy"

Quote:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...178156938.html

From the point of view of a self-described "gun guy".
I am still very curious to hear opinions on this article from people who read it.

SOG
Old 02-24-2013, 12:53 PM #790
Iamamartianchurch

I read it.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:13 PM #791
Space Pope

Me too. I don't think Mr umami has spent much time at a gun range or organized shooting events.
Space Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:34 PM #792
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Pope View Post
Me too. I don't think Mr umami has spent much time at a gun range or organized shooting events.
I don't have to spend much time polluting a river to understand the politics of pollution. This idea that you must be an avid shooter to understand gun politics is bad and you know it. Either you are informed on the issue or you aren't.

P.S. I own 3 rifles and 2 shotguns. I am not defending my own reputability, simply pointing out another stupid misnomer made by pro-gun advocates around these parts.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:51 PM #793
Blake360

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post

P.S. I own 3 rifles and 2 shotguns.
Why don't you do society a favor and turn those in, they might just get up and shoot somebody one day.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:03 PM #794
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
Why don't you do society a favor and turn those in, they might just get up and shoot somebody one day.
I have mentioned over and over that I don't support any form of gun confiscation, only proper registration. Go troll somewhere else.

Also, way to ignore the point and address some small side thing with some bull**** like always blake.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 PM #795
crisisballa

So I read the article and must say it was written very well and had some valid points. I am a member of the NRA and I do not share all of their beliefs, I do believe they have the right idea. You may believe they have an all or nothing mentality but if that's true I'm guessing you don't live in MA, CA, NY or IL. I live in MA and they are constantly talking about newer and more strict laws, however we already have ridiculously insane(unconstitutional) laws on the books. The NRA has the mentality of if you give them an inch they'll keep going until you stop them. As far as having to own a gun to understand the politics it's a half truth. You need to be affected by the politics to understand it. Silent Assassin, unless one of those rifles are an AR, SKS, or a number of semi automatic rifles your opinion in this is just that, an opinion, it's not from experience.

I'm also tired about hearing hunters being used as an example. "You don't hunt with a 30 round magazine". No that's true, but you may defend your home or land with one.

Yesterday I taught a class for people who have zero experience with guns and showed them exactly how quickly you can swap a magazine. in under 2 seconds I went from one mag to another, and that was at half speed.

I'm all for back ground checks, but seriously, has any law been proposed that will stop current violence? If you make a law the only person that is following it is someone who follows current laws. Criminals will still find a way. Drugs are Illegal for recreational use but last year in the US 30,000 people Over dosed.

And as far as the safe gun culture I don't know who's houses they have been in but every gun owner I know is all about safety. And the writers comment about "flashing" his gun like a mason pin was idiotic. I carry a gun every day and would never flash it or show it other than specifically asked about it inside my or the home of a friend.

/rant
Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 PM #796
Space Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
I don't have to spend much time polluting a river to understand the politics of pollution. This idea that you must be an avid shooter to understand gun politics is bad and you know it. Either you are informed on the issue or you aren't.

P.S. I own 3 rifles and 2 shotguns. I am not defending my own reputability, simply pointing out another stupid misnomer made by pro-gun advocates around these parts.
My point was that anyone who has actually spent any time in 'gun culture' would know ,any of the assertions made in the article are simply untrue.
Space Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:46 PM #797
Umami
"That guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Pope View Post
My point was that anyone who has actually spent any time in 'gun culture' would know ,any of the assertions made in the article are simply untrue.
There are thousands of suicides by kids who would be unable to get their own firearms and are able to do so simply because their parents don't properly secure their weapons/gave their kids access.

Is that not true? Speaking of Newton, didn't he get his weapons because his mother failed to properly secure them?

SOG
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 PM #798
Blake360

Quote:
There are thousands of suicides by kids who would be unable to get their own firearms and are able to do so simply because their parents don't properly secure their weapons/gave their kids access.
Because without guns, they wouldn't be committing suicide? How does south korea have the world's highest suicide rate while hardly having any guns? The US is #34 by the way, and every country ranked higher has far fewer guns.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote