Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 07:07 PM #484
Bloodeagle
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
I'll bet that I'm trying to make an argument using established terms for clarity. What are you complaining about anyway? I'm not even arguing for regulations or bans.
Yeah I don't understand why Justice (and someone else earlier) did that. You have been presenting a coherent framework for the debate, not arguing for restrictions of gun ownership.
Bloodeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM #485
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodeagle View Post
Yeah I don't understand why Justice (and someone else earlier) did that. You have been presenting a coherent framework for the debate, not arguing for restrictions of gun ownership.
I think he just made a mistake. No biggie.
Iamamartianchurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 PM #486
Tuff
Supports 2nd Amendment
 
Tuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NH
Tuff is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
Every first world county has nosy media, some much worse than ours. Every first world country has the internet, some much worse than ours. Yet, we have much higher rates of homicide. If media is the cause, you would think we would side a causal relationship, would we not? Do you have any evidence to show this relationship?
What specifically are you looking for more evidence on? Surely not "If it bleeds, it reads" because that goes without saying.

However, in regards to "The media celebrating these events by covering them on the front page for a week puts the ideas in people's heads" - is that the part you question? If that's the case, then I can cite a case that Carl and his pall "Bill" may remember?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Purdy

After this case, later that year, another man named Joseph Wesbecker, was literally inspired by this shooting, and took notes from it, had articles regarding the shooting.

http://www.claytoncramer.com/scholarly/JMME2.htm

"In the same way Wesbecker's interest was peaked[sic] -- he had clipped out a February Time magazine article on some of Purdy's exploits -- gun dealers expect a renewed blaze of interest in the big gun.

"With all the media attention since then," said Ray Yeager, owner of Ray's Gun Shop in Louisville, "and all the anti-gunners's attempts to ban (assault rifles), the result has been massive sales."
How important was the news coverage of Purdy's crime in influencing Wesbecker's actions, above and beyond identifying the weapon of choice for such an act of savagery?
Police now believe Wesbecker had begun plotting the suicide rampage for at least seven months. Searching Wesbecker's house, police found a copy of a Feb. 6 Time magazine detailing mass murders in California, Oklahoma, Texas and elsewhere
.

And

"This disturbing information about the connection between the Time article and Wesbecker's actions didn't make it into Time, Newsweek, or many newspapers' coverage of this tragedy. The Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and Santa Rosa (Cal.) Press-Democrat, all left this embarrassing detail — at least embarrassing to Time — out of their coverage. It wasn't a lack of space that was responsible for this omission, for this was a front-page story in the Los Angeles Times and the Press-Democrat."

As stated, these media outlets may not have any legal responsibility to limit coverage on these cases, but they do have a moral one. They choose not to exercise that responsibilities because money and ratings and a scoop > human lives.

A part that I found intriguing

"Larry Mahoney's drunken driving motor vehicle wreck that caused 27 deaths in May of 1988. Mahoney was convicted of manslaughter, so the essential element of premeditation was lacking, except in the sense that getting drunk and operating a motor vehicle is potentially quite dangerous ("Convicted. Larry Mahoney", 1990). However, including crimes like Mahoney's in this study would tend to strengthen my argument that Time and Newsweek give special treatment to firearms mass murderers, since Mahoney received no press in Newsweek, and only 0.15 square inches per victim in Time."

The underline holds true and backs up my first sentences in this reply, the bold is worth mentioning again. Why are firearm deaths covered with such a higher degree of negative press? Why is the means in which people die more important than the actual event of people dying?

This entire debate became about guns. "GUNS, GUNS, GLORIOUS GUNS!" to quote Marcus from Borderlands 2, and it's the wrong argument. But the media, as seen here, simply wants this to be about guns. It has to be. How else can you take the focus off the other amendment that they don't want you to talk about, in bold below.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
__________________
IrishMafia
Proud American

Last edited by Tuff : 01-18-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Tuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 PM #487
F1VENOM
 
 
F1VENOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
And the Gun Free School Zones Act of 1990, giving crazy people a roadmap to places with lots of defenseless victims.





What class of weaponry is that?
Google Sturmgewehr 44 if you're interested in assault rifles.
__________________
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:00 AM #488
Volucris
asmuchtextastheywillallow
 
Volucris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Nashville
http://americangunfacts.com/
Volucris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:05 AM #489
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Tuff: Okay, you didn't understand, so I will try again. And not trying to be rude, but I am going to ignore the rest of the post as it is off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
What specifically are you looking for more evidence on?
Let's say there is a relationship where people who own dogs are less likely to own cats. There is a direct causal relationship where an increase in dog ownership leads to a decrease in cat ownership. With that, we should be able to plot every county by dog ownership and have a vague grasp at which countries own the least cats. From there, we can check to see how well the relationship holds.

You are asserting that violent media and the internet causes more massacres. My point is that I see countries with much more violent media with lower homicide rates, countries with much more nosy media with much lower homicide rates, countries with a much stronger "internet culture" with much lower homicide rates. In fact, I see zero statistical relationship between the two. I am asking you to show me this relationship.

Countries can be hard to compare, so I thought of another example. If the causal relationship between media and homicide is so strong, why the discrepancy between the south and the rest of the country? Does the south not have the same media, same internet, etc? Of anything they watch more Fox? If media is the cause and Fox is more prevalent in the most violent area, then doesn't that follow logically? I don't believe this. I am just taking your argument where it takes me.

Southern violence I was referring to:
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads

Last edited by TheSilentAssassin : 01-19-2013 at 12:07 AM.
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:30 AM #490
Blake360
 
 
Blake360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Socal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post

Southern violence I was referring to:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...es/10tbl04.xls

Notice how in the south, district of columbia has the highest murder rate, even higher than all states from every other region with 1,330.2 per 100,000. Don't they have very strict gun laws?
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 AM #491
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
[url]http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10tbl04.xls[/url

Notice how in the south, district of columbia has the highest murder rate, even higher than all states from every other region with 1,330.2 per 100,000. Don't they have very strict gun laws?
I am asking a very simple question. Please don't try to derail things. If you would like to talk about that, please do it elsewhere.
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:00 AM #492
Blake360
 
 
Blake360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Socal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
I am asking a very simple question. Please don't try to derail things.
I have a big part of the answer to that but I'm just going to be called a racist for stating the facts.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:03 AM #493
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
I have a big part of the answer to that but I'm just going to be called a racist for stating the facts.
Tuff asserted media was the main cause. I'm talking about that.
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 AM #494
Blake360
 
 
Blake360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Socal
http://www.census.gov/2010census/popmap/

Compare southern states' race demographics with the race demographics of other regions. Notice anything?

And then after looking at this, tell me why 5,770 murders were committed by blacks, compared to 4,849 by whites, even though blacks only make up 13% of the population in America.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...10shrtbl03.xls
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 AM #495
F1VENOM
 
 
F1VENOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
Obviously because they're worthless freeloaders who'd like nothing better than to have babies, smoke crack and shoot each other.

Blake we've had this discussion so many times that if you haven't grasped it by now you're a lost cause.
__________________
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:11 AM #496
licence2kill
POOP
 
licence2kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange County
blake doesnt think black people are worth saving
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:14 AM #497
tomM925
R.I.P America.
 
tomM925's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
tomM925 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Obviously because they're worthless freeloaders who'd like nothing better than to have babies, smoke crack and shoot each other.

Blake we've had this discussion so many times that if you haven't grasped it by now you're a lost cause.

Your not missing a chromosome after all.
__________________
Factory Black

OBAMA SUCKS.
tomM925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:14 AM #498
Blake360
 
 
Blake360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Socal
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Obviously because they're worthless freeloaders who'd like nothing better than to have babies, smoke crack and shoot each other.

Blake we've had this discussion so many times that if you haven't grasped it by now you're a lost cause.
We haven't had this discussion before, and the fact that you can't refute the correlation I pointed out, means you don't have a valid response.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:18 AM #499
Blake360
 
 
Blake360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Socal
Here's another cold hard fact that explains why there's more crime in southern states. Look at page 2 here:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/acsbr11-02.pdf

And notice the majority of the southern states are in the lowest income bracket.
The income level to violence correlation can be seen in all states, including local cities and regions, and unlike gun ownership statistics, there is a clear cause and effect scenario here.

Last edited by Blake360 : 01-19-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:31 AM #500
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Lol, I ask you not to derail a thread and you do it anyways... Thanks.
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:32 AM #501
Blake360
 
 
Blake360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Socal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
Lol, I ask you not to derail a thread and you do it anyways... Thanks.
I responded directly to the title of this thread, why don't you read it again. I brought this discussion back on topic actually.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 AM #502
licence2kill
POOP
 
licence2kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange County
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomM925 View Post
Your not missing a chromosome after all.
you're
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:36 AM #503
tomM925
R.I.P America.
 
tomM925's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
tomM925 supports DLX Technology
lol
__________________
Factory Black

OBAMA SUCKS.
tomM925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:37 AM #504
Blake360
 
 
Blake360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Socal
Quote:
Originally Posted by licence2kill View Post
you're
You're.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump