Old 12-24-2012, 02:26 AM #1
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
Official gun violence prevention discussion thread

Well, the other thread was about the latest shooting. This one is for the civil discussion of how to prevent these types of tragedies from occurring.

Surely the solution is more than either ban all guns or allow all types of arms. Let's attempt to find where the needle should move to. You can propose anything relative to the discussion, so don't feel required to limit the ideas to just gun control.

*Original thread format was unsuccessful, so we'll just continue on discussing as usual.

Last edited by spracks21 : 12-26-2012 at 07:46 PM.
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2012, 02:39 AM #2
Blake360

I'll start with a possible "left's plan of action":

-Integrated fingerprint sensors on the grips of all guns to only be able to operate when the registered owner is holding it.
-Integrated GPS chip that has the location of every school, and in the event that the gun is in a school zone, an internally planted explosive self-destructs the gun along with the hand of the owner.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:43 AM #3
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post

-Integrated fingerprint sensors on the grips of all guns to only be able to operate when the registered owner is holding it.
-Integrated GPS chip that has the location of every school, and in the event that the gun is in a school zone, an internally planted explosive self-destructs the gun along with the hand of the owner.
Nope, only taking suggestions from people who propose ideas representing their own side of the political spectrum for now. We don't want any strawmans in this thread. Sorry Blakey, but you'll just have to troll elsewhere.
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:53 AM #4
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Fat_Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Install those things that sense the sound of gun fire they have on telephone poles in cities (forget the exact name of them) and notify police as soon as they pick something up without any human input.

Put them in schools and other public areas, especially areas where you're not supposed to be allowed to carry a weapon. They're not that expensive, they're not that hard to put in, and they certainly wouldnt be an eye sore if people knew that as soon as those first shots went off the police were notified.

Also, be more assertive with active shooter training for law enforcement. 9 out of 10 times, as soon as the shooter hears shots that are not their own, whether they even come close to them or not, their stress levels go through the roof and it moves their plan forward exponentially, which means the ****** will probably off themselves.

I'm not enough of an expert to talk about these things, but I feel that most of the people who commit acts like this are giant ****** pussies who will crumble at the first sign of resistance. Its incredibly sad what happened and it absolutely breaks my heart to think of what those families have to endure over the coming weeks and months, however, banning guns, especially assault rifles is flat out missing the point. We dont need to ban guns, we need to take measures to protect against the people who use them for the wrong reasons. I mean, we can sit here and blame guns all we want, but at the end of the day, what if he'd used a bomb, or bombs? We'd be looking at a national tragedy that even further surpasses the one we're dealing with now. I think everyone is still reeling from this, rightfully so, but we cant make knee jerk reactions to these type of things. Is there a problem? Absolutely. Does is it need to be addressed? Absolutely. Is the initial reaction of banning guns going to solve it? Absolutely not. We need to carefully plan out and THINK, using that uncommon thing called common sense to fix the problem.
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Fat_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:57 AM #5
Blake360

I just wanted to ask what the braindead liberals have to say about the fact that when 3d printers are becoming cheaper and more available, how banning magazines will have any effect at all, seeing as how these printers can easily print them out. You'll probably support a ban on 3d printers so what's the point of asking anyway.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:02 AM #6
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

SniperForce-Duffek plays in the APPA D5 division
Hell I might pick up a cnc in the near future.

"May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
G.S.P
SniperForce-Duffek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:31 AM #7
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

has been a member for 10 years
I think a great plan would be to educate people in their closed society about how violent the world really is. All teachers should take a field trip Nigeria, Iraq, or Afghnistan, and see how their schools are threatened every day with suicide bombers, killing sprees, and kidnappings. Our teachers need to talk to other teachers [with an interpreter] who are close to war zones or government takeovers. It would be educational, and they would finally understand that a school is a soft target for any arrogant ******* that wants a few seconds in his sad pathetic life to feel powerful and make a statement. A school will always be a soft target. Banning firearms won't do anything.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 12-24-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:36 AM #8
ladd_17
bA What?!?

ladd_17 is a Supporting Member
ladd_17 plays in the PSP
ladd_17 plays in the APPA D3 division
ladd_17 is Boss
I'd start by changing your thread title to "Official Violence Prevention Discussion Thread" as any reasonable consensus we come to here will help prevent all violence.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 AM #9
tsbalr120
Goooonsberry

tsbalr120 is an NCPA player
tsbalr120 is Legendary
Moar guns
Old 12-24-2012, 09:44 AM #10
F1VENOM

Quote:

You stole that from Judge Dredd. Boy are you lulworthy.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:46 AM #11
F1VENOM

Quote:
I just wanted to ask what the braindead liberals have to say about the fact that when 3d printers are becoming cheaper and more available, how banning magazines will have any effect at all, seeing as how these printers can easily print them out. You'll probably support a ban on 3d printers so what's the point of asking anyway.
3D printed magazines, sounds like a recipe for failure.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 12-24-2012, 09:49 AM #12
ladd_17
bA What?!?

ladd_17 is a Supporting Member
ladd_17 plays in the PSP
ladd_17 plays in the APPA D3 division
ladd_17 is Boss
Actually the 3D printing tech has come a long way. Other than having to source the springs, magazines are probably a perfect application for it. There is even a company that is developing 3D printed AR lower receivers.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:00 AM #13
F1VENOM

Get back to me when someone who's life depends on them is using them.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM #14
BodyCount81
Jerrah

BodyCount81 supports Cereal Killerz 2
OPs post from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spracks21 View Post
If an ex navy seal wants to teach, then he accepts the career change, and the responsibilities that go with it. If he wants to protect and save lives, he can choose an occupation where that is needed. Teachers are in schools to teach, and I see no reason to add further liability to them or the schools just because an ex GI or somebody can't accept their field change. We have other professionals who can do the job, if needed. Again, ****ing let professionals stick to their professions. We don't need teachers playing action hero.
Please refrain from posting.

"It's mine."
BodyCount81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM #15
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
3D printed magazines, sounds like a recipe for failure.
Why? All it does it house a cartridge, and pushes it with a spring along a track. Even the metal construction magazines and clips are intended to be cheap and plentiful (because of low cost for creation). 3d printing is the next step above injection molding, which I have some experience in. In time, the materials used in 3d printing will meet and exceed the current standards for injection molding... but you'd have to talk to a materials engineer for that stuff.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:33 AM #16
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyCount81 View Post
OPs post from another thread:

Please refrain from posting.
I guess no one told him about that Troops to Teachers program...
Old 12-24-2012, 10:33 AM #17
custar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spracks21 View Post
Nope, only taking suggestions from people who propose ideas representing their own side of the political spectrum for now. We don't want any strawmans in this thread. Sorry Blakey, but you'll just have to troll elsewhere.
Do I qualify as being on the right?

Fat_Joe hit an important point. We are essentially talking about "trading on the margin". Those who are determined to do violence will find a way to do it. The worst school killing in the U.S. did not involve firearms. With that in mind, . . .

I actually like the idea of a pistol keyed to operate only for me and others I designate. I don't think we are near the technology to make that feasible now, and I do not think it will be feasible in the near future for self defense because of the very short time in which one has the window of opportunity to respond. However, until someone found the way to "unlock" a gun so equipped, I feel it would have the potential to cut down on crime because the guns would be less attractive items to thieve.

I also have no problem with the seven day cooling off period for buying a gun. There are some acts done in haste that would not be done if there was time to cool off. This admittedly would do little to nothing to deter events like the Columbine and Sandy Hook tragedies, but we are talking about reducing SOME gun violence, right?

This won't happen, but if those who commit such acts weren't given attention beyond being vilified, there would be fewer taking these actions IMHO.

custar

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
Samuel Adams
Ave Caesar Obama! Tributituri ad moritus te salutant.

Looking for Action Markers Diadem Tanks for sale

Old feedback thread
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:39 AM #18
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
How to curb gun violence:

I will teach my children the value of life. I will be a father.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:41 AM #19
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
Can't prevent it.
PMR Frame/Board F/s
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:56 AM #20
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Why? All it does it house a cartridge, and pushes it with a spring along a track. Even the metal construction magazines and clips are intended to be cheap and plentiful (because of low cost for creation). 3d printing is the next step above injection molding, which I have some experience in. In time, the materials used in 3d printing will meet and exceed the current standards for injection molding... but you'd have to talk to a materials engineer for that stuff.
I've played with parts made from 3D printers and while impressive, I wouldn't bet my life on it. In 5 years maybe, not at present.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 AM #21
EPAPressure
Jobs are for immigrants

What is the logic behind turning all firearms in to the government? Criminals would see nothing more than a less armed pool of victims (the victims they rob and steal from to make a living) for them to benefit from. What incentives in place would the government need to promote for criminals to come forward with guns that are more than likely stolen, as well as illegal for them to poses (given felony records)?

A promise they wouldn't be detained? A gift card to a store? I would like to know "how" it would work, as in the philosophy behind each step.

-Said nobody, ever.

"Originally posted by drgonzo: That doesn't make sense, the people with the most interaction and dependence on government have the most significant stakes and should have the vote if anyone. People who reject government and do not use government services should be denied the vote if anything." ^^FAIL

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: When I think geocities I think ****ty tiled background and sparkly titles. Think of a minority's myspace page."
EPAPressure is offline   Reply With Quote