Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-23-2011, 12:12 PM #1
MACHINE_GUN

Phenom FN SCAR Mag Feed! Review & Fixes + pics

As far as milsim paintball is concerned, I think this is as real as your ever gonna get!!!
To all the nay sayers....
It works better, more efficient, And way less chops then a cyclone!!!
Tippman FN SCAR/Assault stock & sit kit. Reflex sight with riser rail. MAGPUL Industries AFG 1 (Angled Foregrip) Techt MRT Pro bolt. Techt IFIT barrel boreing system.
I attached a stock X7 shroud to the stock Phenom shroud
(with a lot of cutting, sanding, and JB weld) creating an extended shroud. Otherwise, after removing the lower rail for the mag well the AFG would have been too long for the stock X7 shroud.
I may attach an airsoft 3 shot mossberg masterkey and run 6mm paint bbs in it for fun this winter..
Tacamo kit negatives:
This should be obvious, but you have to cut off the rail that over hangs on the bottem of the stock shroud. This may only be a problem if your grips or attachment use the whole rail length like my Magpul AFG.* Solution: build an extended shroud like I did. only took an hour of work, But I had to let the JB weld cure over night.
The mags were a little loose in the mag well. But I fixed this very easily. There is a recessed section on the inside of the mag well. Its inside nearest the trigger. You can see it in my 4th photo about a half inch below the mag release button. I put a strip of foam in there and now they fit perfect, no rattle but still drop free without a fight.*
The body actually fits tighter then the stock one. The internals would slide out the back without loosening the shell a bit. This was due to some overspray inside the rear of the shells of the black body coating. I sanded it off, and the internals slid out like then were greased up.
BoxMag negatives:
First off, The boxmag is offset to the right, so your left arm easly clears it. Perfect for Righty's. (Sorry Lefty's.. RAP4 screwed you on this one.)
The internals of the box mag wont spin if they sense any pressure (to avoid internal chopping ) so it realistically takes 225 paintballs, not 250. 250 is to heavy for it to function. but 225 is more then enough for me. box mag runs on 9V power But that's better then a gas hog cyclone. Ill be doing efficiency comparisons soon. and its slightly heaver then a hopper. still WAY lighter then a real FN SCAR...
Refilling the box mag in the field with a pod kinda sucks. the fill doors are kinda small and rectangular!* I am however making a funnel that will go from round to rectangle for easy pod filling..
Also, do yourself a favor and pick up some high quality rechargable batteries. I bought 2 POWEREX 9.6V 230 milliamp rechargables from Batteries plus and the box mag functioned way happier. they are good for about 5 years of use and only set me back $28.00. And the box mag has the recharger unit built in!!
Preload the box mag feed tube.
I noticed that it loads balls up the empty tube soo fast it double feeds the first shot. Even with an uncut detent! doesnt happen every time, but on occasion. So now I drop a few down the tube after loading to box mag, and no problems.
Also, run your phenom 12 bpm if you want full auto. I had my stock board maxed out (15 bpm) Because Im a support gunner for team and lay down a lot of cover fire. I have had a few loading breaks. I found that the sound activation system doesnt quite keep up with the firing system. My box is a 4th gen (pre-wired with eyes) and will most likely respond way better with the eyes adaptor for Phenom that RAP4 is coming out with in the next few months. But in the mean-time, the box mag is much happier at 10-12 bpm on sound activation alone..

That being said, she works like a dream.. Im never going back!!
THANK YOU RAP4 FOR FINALLY MAKING A DECENT PRODUCT!!!
And restoring my faith in you.
Before:

Kit Arrives:

7.62 MAGPUL's work on RAP4 mags..

Finished!!!!!!

Let me know what you all think..
CLASSIFICATION: SUPPORT
UNOFFICIAL: WEAPON R&D/TECH

Last edited by MACHINE_GUN : 12-23-2011 at 12:47 PM.
MACHINE_GUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-23-2011, 01:50 PM #2
Chilliballer

Chilliballer is playing at Living Legends V
Chilliballer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Chilliballer is for the Gunfight
Chilliballer is attending Decay of Nations VI
Great job. Looks like fun. Total price?

If your a lover of both speedball and woodsball,
Put this in your sig!

Just a young guy that enjoys some paintballing with friends
Chilliballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM #3
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Rubbr Chickin is playing at Living Legends VI
Rubbr Chickin supports Empire
Thats pretty sick. Im not too big on the finish, but it does look pretty badass outdoors.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:00 PM #4
MACHINE_GUN

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbr Chickin View Post
Thats pretty sick. Im not too big on the finish, but it does look pretty badass outdoors.
thanks man.. I dig the all black look too, but that will give ya away every time in the woods. I went for something that blends with my multicam. Actually set it down in the brush at practice, and almost lost it. lol
I dont look for people, I look for the solid black (or metalic)gun sticking out of the brush. They might as well be wearing hunter orange because camo is ineffective if you, and all of your equiptment isnt completely blended in.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:05 AM #5
MACHINE_GUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliballer View Post
Great job. Looks like fun. Total price?
$400 for the phenom
$70 for tacamo kit. (preordered last fall)
$150 for 5 mags
$150 for box mag
$20 for Magpul MS2 sling. Real one
$30 for Magpul AFG (angled fore grip) real one!
$15 for Magpul MBUS ( back up sites) genuine Magpul PTS ones for airsoft
$15 for X7C shroud
$80 for Tippmann assault kit (scar stock)
$22 for 6 Magpul's. Real ones
$10 for Magpul RSA sling attachment. Genuine Magpul PTS one for airsoft
$10 generic EBAY rail covers
$30 for TechT MRT pro bolt
$100 for TechT ifit kit
$100 for "New TechT APE board for phenom :o
$50 on batteries + recharger kit for box mag
$50 for red dot sight
$20 for riser rail
$15 for camo paint
$5 for cargo net.
$5 for foam roll
$5 for sandpaper
$5 for JB weld
$infinity=time. Lol

Grand total:$1,357 for my perfect Phenom.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:45 PM #6
BigPimpin55
Repping Western Ks

has been a member for 10 years
BigPimpin55 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Nice work man.

CO of Kansas SKO
Thanks to our sponsors: | Valken | SM Tactical | FOXHOLE Paintball store and field | M.N. P.I.R.O.D. | Quantico Tactical

My Guns For Sale: UL'd PMR for sale or Trade for Real Steel Magfed Phenom FS
Christ KREW
BigPimpin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:39 PM #7
BlitzkriegNZ

Very nicely done! Did you have any trouble with the trigger assembly fitting in the conversion kit? I hear they have issues.
Is the box worth it over a home made one? I have all my components in a back pack loader at the moment so was wondering if I should save time and buy one or find another cheap magnadrive to build a 100 round mini box using a mag.
BlitzkriegNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 PM #8
MACHINE_GUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegNZ View Post
Very nicely done! Did you have any trouble with the trigger assembly fitting in the conversion kit? I hear they have issues.
Is the box worth it over a home made one? I have all my components in a back pack loader at the moment so was wondering if I should save time and buy one or find another cheap magnadrive to build a 100 round mini box using a mag.
At first, I had trigger pull delay issues. I tinkered with the trigger magnet position (hole in front of trigger) and it works perfectly now.

As far as the box mag goes, After I figured out its "issues"
Its about as turn-key as my hopper. It works perfectly,holds 225+ rounds and I can switch between the box mag and 20 round mags in a second without changing my set-up. That and RAP4 has proprietary upgrades in the works for their box mag. (Like an optical reader, and new shell with a better fill port.)
It is a little high priced but works great.
And if I ever have problems, I have someone to call, blame, and get replacment parts from. Its kinda like changing your timing belt. Do it yourself for $75 and possibly risk ruining your engine or paying a shop $150 to do it and warrentying their work. (actually happened to a friend of mine. he was one tooth off and ruined his 04 STi engine.. :/ )
I just like the piece of mind. But I also love building things.. lol
Old 12-29-2011, 07:54 AM #9
Dooku
AKA ... Count Scoobith

has been a member for 10 years
WOW... very nice!!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...8#post29959238
Dooku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 PM #10