Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-16-2012, 01:31 PM #1
paintballmark1

Which steel tank???

I just picked up an empire axe. I was wandering what tank I should get? I don't have the budget for a carbon fiber tank, so I will have to pick up a steel tank. So which tank would work best? 48/3000 68/3000 62/3000?? Also should I get a low pressure or High pressure? What is the difference with low and high pressure?- Lastly brand Ninja guerrilla, empire who is the best?
-Thanks Mark
paintballmark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:36 PM #2
Open_Truth (Banned)

Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I am going to recommend that you save your money and buy a carbon fiber tank. It will save you money in the long run.

But, if you have to buy a HPA tank right now, then knowing the basics is going to go a long way for you. Such as what the numbers mean. The first number is the volume, in cubic inches, that the tank will hold. So the larger the first number, the larger the tank for holding air. Also, the more weight that it has. The second number is the pressure that the tank can hold, measured in pounds per square inch, or PSI. You will find that the tanks are either 3000 PSI, or 4500 PSI. The higher the pressure, the more air that it holds, but it does not increase in size or weight. You will only find 4500 tanks in carbon fiber or fiberglass wraps. But 3000 tanks can be steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, or fiberglass wraps.

The pressure corresponds with what the regulator is outputting. If you are used to CO2, it's normal output pressure is 850 PSI. High pressure reg output at 850 PSI, mid pressure at 650, and low pressure at 450. I believe the Axe can take high pressure, but prefers mid pressure. Which brings me to brand:

You will find that at least half of the people that use HPA will recommend Ninja. There is good reason. It keeps the output pressure pretty consistent until you drop the tank pressure to 1000 PSI or less. So far, everyone else decays as the tank pressure drops. Also, if you need to change the output pressure, you don't buy anything else, you are able to open up the reg (When the bottle is empty) and change the output pressure with the removal of a shim or two.

I hope this helps.
Open_Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:05 PM #3
paintballmark1

tank info

Ya that helps a lot- so I take it the gauge on the tank shows were you are at...and I should be around 600?
paintballmark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:32 PM #4
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

has been a member for 10 years
No. The gauge on the tank shows you what the current tank pressure is.
2000 Tropic Green CSVT #836/2150
XBL: RapDonkey
Style: Basic Math
Dyoel182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:01 PM #5
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
I agree with Open Truth. Save up your money for a carbon tank. Steel tanks are heavy, especially on a smaller marker like the Axe. And you're not going to get many shots off of it in comparison. You're actually going to spend more money in the long run by getting a steel tank now and then getting a fiber tank down the road.
Fields will often rent tanks so you could drop a few dollars to rent on of their steel tanks. I think you're going to see how cumbersome they can be if you do that for a few weekends.

However if a steel tank is your only option and going to be for a long time then go for it. But if you think you are going to get a fiber tank eventually, save now.
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:57 PM #6
die.another.day

Get a Ninja 68 4500
die.another.day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 PM #7
soccerstud_2009
I LIKE TURTLES

Annual Supporting Member
soccerstud_2009 is BST Legit
soccerstud_2009 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerstud_2009 plays in the APPA D5 division
Just buy a ninja 68/4500
EXALT
NINJA
soccerstud_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 PM #8
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tonycon supports our troops
tonycon is Legendary
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Check out the bst here....there are a bunch of tanks for sale you just have to be patient and jump on one you like and can afford

Proudly Sponsored By:
PBExplosion VirtueSpire Valken Paintball

KnuckleHeads Paintball Team
Game footage
tonycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:02 PM #9
Critikalstrike

Critikalstrike owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Critikalstrike has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Critikalstrike has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Critikalstrike supports DLX Technology
get a 50/4500 ninja pro works great with an axe.
Critikalstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:10 PM #10
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Pick the size that feels comfortable for you.
Take your marker with you to your store if you can and put the different tank sizes on your marker from different brands. Their regs add different length and they use slightly different sizes.
Take all the recommendations with a grain of salt and find what fits for you. You're going to be playing with your set up, you're going to be shouldering it. You don't want a tank that is too short and cocks your wrist in a weird way or a tank that's too long that's going to stretch your arms out too far.
If I made a recommendation for a size and you took it then you would end up with a 70/45. I'm 6'4" though, I need and like that extra length to feel comfortable. Some people don't like that length or even that weight.
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 PM #11
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris17 View Post
However if a steel tank is your only option and going to be for a long time then go for it. But if you think you are going to get a fiber tank eventually, save now.
Steel tanks aren't even an option these days. Everything is aluminum.
2000 Tropic Green CSVT #836/2150
XBL: RapDonkey
Style: Basic Math
Dyoel182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:47 AM #12
cadamwil
Creating Awesome.........

cadamwil owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cadamwil has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I would call Crossfire or go to swapmytank.com and look at used tanks at both locations. You can get into a HPA tank that should have a bit of life left in it. Another option would be to get a new less expensive fiber tank, such as ANS Owned.

The reason most people will recommend against aluminum or steel tanks is weight, size and value. The last one is the most important, while the aluminum tanks can be had for around 50-75, they have a five year life. Technically the aluminum tanks can be re-hydroed forever, but the hydro will cost almost as much as the tank does new and consequently it will need to be hydroed or retired in five years. But I bet, should you purchase an aluminum tank, you won't have it over a year.

Find the money to get a 68/4500 of some sort. If it doesn't have the ideal reg, that can be swapped a bit later. I have an aluminum tank I am about to recycle rather than hydro, the shipping to hydro it plus the hydro and shipping back will exceed $60. Plus strapping a 4+ pound tank, such as a 72/3000 to a 2 lb gun seems silly and will be uncomfortable. And you will likely need the larger size due to the lower PSI. That's just my $.02

Adam
cadamwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:20 AM #13
Hashish
Science is all metaphor.

Hashish owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Hashish has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Hashish has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Get a small tank.

I have a LP 48/45 and works great with my ego
Ebay - 26/0/0 - up to date -
Hashish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:45 PM #14
lazarous

lazarous posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashish View Post
Get a small tank.
Point/Counterpoint: I did the same thing a number of us have done: Because it was cheaper, I purchased a 48/3000 Ninja Steel Tank... which as a number of people have mentioned, is really an Aluminum tank. However, most people still call them Steelies.

And then, less than a year later, I bought a 68/4500 to replace it. It feels about the same (length-wise) on your shoulder as the 48/3000, but you get nearly double the shots-per-fill. Yes, it's more expensive, but eventually you'll replace your 48/3000. I kept mine as a spare, and for use in outlaw games, mostly because there's no resale value.

So, other than feel (fitting the gun to your shoulder better), I'm not sure why anyone would use the smaller tanks. I did just order a 90/4500 because I like the feel (fit) better, and the 68/4500 is now going to be relegated to backup... to the point where I may give the 48/3000 to a buddy as a gift.

To those of you using smaller (50/4500's, etc.) tanks: What's your reasoning/thinking? Usually you only save a few bucks... is "fit" the only reason?

Asking because I really do want to know... not trying to be snarky! Thanks!

Laz
MacDev Drone DX - Backup marker
2 - Planet Eclipse Etha's (loaner markers)
lazarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:53 PM #15
Open_Truth (Banned)

Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarous View Post
Asking because I really do want to know... not trying to be snarky! Thanks!

Laz
You said it yourself, it is cost. The recommended order of purchasing one's gear is mask, then tank, then hopper, then marker.but a lot of people buy the marker first. It's all about the flashy marker. So they have $400 to get stuff, and they buy the flashy $350 marker. Now assuming that there is no sales tax, that means that they figure that they need the HPA tank, but can borrow a hopper from a field, same as a mask. With $50 left, the choice is a 48/3000 tank. Or maybe they are getting the tank before the marker, and they see a $50 48/3000 and a $150 68/4500. No one in a store, or at a website is going to tell the person that the larger tank is going to hold twice the air at about three quarters the weight. So they buy the cheaper tank, now have more money for getting their paintball marker, faster.
Open_Truth is offline   Reply With Quote