yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D4 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub CRISP View Post
neither comm or poli sci are great in this economy, TBH communications is a bit of a joke and poli sci isn't all that helpful in getting a job.

I'm about to graduate with a degree in economics and I have no trouble beating out comm majors for jobs.

If you really want to make yourself useful then major in computer science, every company ever is looking for computer scientists and for some reason people just don't major in it enough.

If you don't like programming then consider math, bio, physics, chem or engineering. You could also try your hand at econ at another school, sometimes it just takes the right professor to get you hooked. If you major in the sciences you will have a lot more opportunity than if you do anything else.

That said though, don't do any of these things if you don't like them. If you have a clear idea about where you want to go after college and you're passionate about it then shoot for it .
CS isn't for everyone dude

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2012, 05:53 PM #23
tater66

has been a member for 10 years
Get whatever degree you are closest to completing. On the 19th I'll have my BS in finance and I hate the degree field. The degree is the ticket, but it is not a strict adherence policy.

"Originally Posted by AR55
Must of been a pretty intense game if you had to wear headbands."
tater66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:44 PM #24
Strange1130
FTW

Strange1130 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by A5Gunner View Post
It's a personal goal to finish school and get a bachelor's degree. I know it's a sad world and economy we live in now.

Why? It sounds like you're in school to be in school. Spending the money to get a useless communications degree will likely put you worse off in life than not doing so, besides accomplishing a 'personal goal'

I'm a really good worker and I know it's only retail but I always get rave reviews from my managers of how great and hard of a worker I'm compared to others. You give me a job I will get it done. I do make mistakes every now and then, but if you tell me once I make sure it doesn't happen again and I learn that way.

thats nice but doesn't really mean anything.

It's come down to Political Science or Communications? Which one do you guys think. I'm going to try to get a job over the summer with my associates that is a little bit higher up compared to retail. I figure I can get some more "work experience" there and then an internship to go with one of the majors.

neither, what are you thinking? Like, you have all these plans related to college degrees, but what are you going to do afterwards? Poly Sci is pretty much useless unless you want to go on to law school, and communications IS just useless; come on, it doesn't even mean anything, wtf? Everyone "communicates" at work...

What area is your associates degree in? Likely, it won't help you find any work. Especially if you haven't done any internships as it seems like you haven't. That's where you should start. And they will be unpaid. you don't have enough experience or any reason to be hired for a paid internship so you should start by looking for credit bearing internships.

I have heard the work experience can override a degree and adding a bachelor's would never hurt.

Here's my idea..

-Political Science: Work as a Paralegal, government job, non-profit agency, maybe business.

-Communication: Pretty much business or some company.

Again, these just don't mean anything. You want to work in "business..."? Come on bro, that just sounds ignorant. There are countless industries and business models, and to say that you want to work "in business or some company" sounds ridiculously uninspired. If I were interviewing you, and that came to light, I would say NEXT

I had a wild idea of Political Science Major I only need 30 cr. to get bachelor's in this program. Then minor in Communications which is like 3 or 4 more classes only.

The Communication major is 39 cr. So it would almost be the same thing and you get both. For Poltical Science the campus I can attend is closer (10 miles) not in the city either compared to 24 miles. going one way for both. Communications minor or major I would have to take at the farther campus. So if it is a minor that could mean only one day a week I have to go there.

again, this is all bull****; you're just doing it to do it. Making a proper major choice has absolutely NOTHING to do with "which campus is closer" or "only having to go one day a week" or "only needing X credits." It's about what is the best INVESTMENT (remember, thats what education is) for your future. Your priorities really seem skewed here, and it seems very clear that you don't know WHY you're at school.

2 people I know reccomended communications and one said poltical science. I personally feel like communication is important in order to talk to people, but in a degree job search I think the poltical science has a little bit more exploration of different areas. Maybe Communications is just enough for a minor? It still has some classes where you have to learn public speaking, get in front of people etc.

Neither of them will get you far, as I've said.

Oh and the communication major is kinda different. You take a lot of communication classes, but you also have to take a few media and theatre classes as well. If you minor you can get it solely in Communications though.
Alright, bro, I'm gonna be real with you, you kind of sound like an average, fairly unintelligent person. Like, you don't know what the **** you're doing at school, most of your ideas seem fairly skewed or flawed, and you seem to be in school for no apparent reason.

I think your first order of business should be developing a 5 year plan for your life. First, take a look at where you want to be in 5 years, work-wise. If you can't think of anything, or its something as generic as "working in business or for some company," then maybe you are destined to work customer service/retail for the rest of your life, or at best to do grunt office data-entry. That's fine, those jobs exist for a reason, and if that's your 5 year plan, then that's something to shoot for. If, however, your 5 year plan was to become a wholesale account executive for an apparel manufacturer, such as Levis (just winging a completely random career path out of my head), then that gives you something structured to work towards.

Something to consider: you can make a lot of money waiting tables, especially depending on where you live. I just landed a nice entry level position in the major I studied, and I know kids who bring home more than I'm going to be every week just serving, not even full time, at popular restaurants. Of course I live in NYC, but this can certainly apply elsewhere. I'm just mentioning this because your career aspirations seem to extist only because it's what you're "supposed to do," rather than something you actually are PASSIONATE about and want to succeed in.

Next, if you're able to come up with a specific career goal to stride towards, you are able to break down HOW to get there. An easy way to do this? Look at job listings! Parts of most job listings are bull****, but parts are also great ways to get specific look at the skills and experience they are looking for. Then you can come up with a plan. For example, going back to the Levi's AE position: most would probably list several years of wholesale sales experience, so you would probably want to get an internship at a showroom or something like that. Similarly, you can look at the type of education you need to get there. The education should be chosen based on what type of career you want, not the other way around!

Next, internships. As I mentioned, you're going to be looking for unpaid internships to start. Sorry but that's just the reality of the matter; feel free to apply for both but just know that most likely you will be getting an unpaid internship first. And certainly if you don't have any internships I wouldn't even bother applying for positions in the field your AAS is in. AAS doesn't mean anything.

K I'm too lazy to keep tying.

TL;DR: Reevaluate WHY you are at school, choose your major based on your career path choice, not vice versa, get internships, and reevaluate WHY you are at school. Oh yea and choose your major based on your career path choice, not vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub CRISP View Post
neither comm or poli sci are great in this economy, TBH communications is a bit of a joke and poli sci isn't all that helpful in getting a job.

I'm about to graduate with a degree in economics and I have no trouble beating out comm majors for jobs.

If you really want to make yourself useful then major in computer science, every company ever is looking for computer scientists and for some reason people just don't major in it enough.

If you don't like programming then consider math, bio, physics, chem or engineering. You could also try your hand at econ at another school, sometimes it just takes the right professor to get you hooked. If you major in the sciences you will have a lot more opportunity than if you do anything else.

That said though, don't do any of these things if you don't like them. If you have a clear idea about where you want to go after college and you're passionate about it then shoot for it .
this guy knows whats up, bolded some parts I especially agree with. I didn't really get into talking about what majors are the most relevant today, as I still believe (well, its more of a desperate clinging-to of hope) that people should be able to choose their education based on the career they WISH to achieve, not one that they're the MOST LIKELY TO BE ABLE to achieve, but it is certainly increasingly relevant. CS is probably the best choice, but in general I would just say that something more refined, specific and unique is better than the opposite.

For example, I'm graduating this week from Fashion Institute of Technology, with a BS in "Fashion Merchandising Management." The career paths that my major leads to are fairly specific: generally you can go into retail buying, retail planning, product development, or store management (talking like madison ave flagstores, not managing the hot topic at the mall. you don't need to go to college for that). It is very niche and specific, but I knew what I wanted to do, and by choosing a very tailored major I was able to land an entry level retail planning position out of college with one of the largest American retailers, paying a fair amount higher than the average 2k12 college grad, according to google. As Crisp and myself have beaten into your head at this point, you really should have a career goal in mind when choosing your schooling, not a schooling goal in mind when choosing your career.

"Originally posted by parkrats: Telling me to leave this thread is like telling a bear to leave the woods, it's my home."

"Originally posted by Rampager2000: I only wear them with questionable girls. Like, I won't not have sex with a whore. I'll just wrap it."

"Originally posted by IncobWTF: When idiots chirp with nothing to back it up i throw it right back at em, obviously."
Strange1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:45 PM #25
Strange1130
FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater66 View Post
Get whatever degree you are closest to completing. On the 19th I'll have my BS in finance and I hate the degree field. The degree is the ticket, but it is not a strict adherence policy.
so what are you going to be doing with the degree in a major that you hate on the 20th?

"Originally posted by parkrats: Telling me to leave this thread is like telling a bear to leave the woods, it's my home."

"Originally posted by Rampager2000: I only wear them with questionable girls. Like, I won't not have sex with a whore. I'll just wrap it."

"Originally posted by IncobWTF: When idiots chirp with nothing to back it up i throw it right back at em, obviously."
Old 12-16-2012, 07:01 PM #26
earlsweatshirt (Banned)
Lets get weird

Just kill yourself, its easier.
earlsweatshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 PM #27
Strange1130
FTW

lolol

Old 12-16-2012, 08:59 PM #28
OA paintball
Matt Ragsdale

OA paintball plays in the APPA beginner division
was in the same boat as you, but decided to go medical. people will always need medicine, you can pretty much choose where you want to live, and a lot of fields to go in. community colleges also usually have nursing programs and medical certs. you can obtain through them.
PJ's and no shirt; smoke weed eat yogurt.
OA paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:07 AM #29
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange1130 View Post

so what are you going to be doing with the degree in a major that you hate on the 20th?
2 questions if you don't mind .

1. Were you a straight guy going to FIT?
2. Did you clean house on the ***** there due to the ratio ? ( most girls I met at clubs who went there were always very easy and pretty skinny/ well dressed & decent looking )

Old 12-17-2012, 12:14 AM #30
Strange1130
FTW

1. Yes, 2. I've had sex with quite a few beautiful women here, yes. Those girls you describe suck though. I dated one of em for a while though cuz I got in to all the flatiron clubs to drink all night for free so it was worth it.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:45 AM #31
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange1130 View Post
1. Yes, 2. I've had sex with quite a few beautiful women here, yes. Those girls you describe suck though. I dated one of em for a while though cuz I got in to all the flatiron clubs to drink all night for free so it was worth it.
Yeah I went to a school with a terrible ratio 1 girl 6 guys avg on the other side of the river in Hoboken . When I got to grad school at a giant state school it was like ****ing heaven man . I envy The FITs vanderbilts and vasaars of the world .

Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 AM #32
A5Gunner
DoDgY

A5Gunner supports Team VICIOUS
A5Gunner is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Some great advice guys and I have taken it all in so far.
What about Criminal Justice major? I actually was thinking about being a police officer before this. I really enjoyed the two classes I was in. Both A's and I got perfect scores.

The only reason in regards to the distance and stuff is that I will be commuting to save a ton of money on the tuititon, so I gotta drive to the campus. There is another one nearby that is based on a college from another state but they have a whole bunch of branches and this one is pretty much 15 minutes away only.

I'm very athletic and have a perfect clean record. I did grow up with a lot of my friends always joking how cautious and law abiding I was lol

Is there other areas I could do besides just police officer? I know if I did become an officer it would have to be in the suburbs compared to the city.

I'm thinking of polishing up my spanish by taking a class so I will have that to add to a resume. I'm actually liking the idea of police officer again. However, even that might be competitive and put on a waiting list. Is there office type jobs for that like Crime Analyst, researching areas of crimes, etc.

I thought for a summer job I could work mall security for the mean time or like loss prevention and then get an internship with the major as well. Maybe this would be better suited for me then Political Science? I just need backup's in case I decide police officer isn't for me. I'm almost 23 and sometimes get scared I will be too old but deep down I still feel young lol I heard there were some police officers who became one when they were 30 even.

I tried the nursing field and it wasn't for me. It is a little late to go back to majors like biology/chemistry or I will be in school for an entirnity more. I have never been that great at math either, so I'm really limited to what I can do.

Security/Criminal Justice will always be in demand ( there will always be criminals!) so that might be a positive compared to the political science and communication. You also don't need to get an advanced degree. For example I could be a police officer right now with an associate's but have a much better chance of getting hired with a degree or for later on advancement at least once I hired.

Last edited by A5Gunner : 12-17-2012 at 05:05 AM.
A5Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:13 AM #33
1dayteam120

Annual Supporting Member
1dayteam120 supports Cereal Killerz 2
1dayteam120 donated to help Peyton Trent
1dayteam120 supports Team VICIOUS
1dayteam120 supports DLX Technology
Give up on life get that welfare bro
2 of Keith Devit's Personal Luxe oleds, 2014 vicious axe, Yosh Raus dynasty shocker, Dm10
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...7#post83251657
Interested in selling an entire gearbag and getting cash now? PM ME I have cash
1dayteam120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:18 AM #34
edudcixlsyd
ya boi

become a mortician. everyone dies. business will always be there.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:34 PM #35
OA paintball
Matt Ragsdale

mortician requires medical school, more time and money he doesnt have
Old 12-17-2012, 02:53 PM #36
A5Gunner
DoDgY

A5Gunner supports Team VICIOUS
A5Gunner is reppin' sidebar 4 life
So what do you guys think of above^

Criminal Justice major (I already have 2 A's toward the major and enjoyed it)
Police Officer/ Crime Analyst/ Higher up security over time how about that for a specific idea of what I would want to do?

Worst comes to worst I could get an entry level intership/job with research skills/ law knowledge.
A5Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 PM #37
Strange1130
FTW

I guess go for it.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:42 PM #38
memorex
I'm Suppish

memorex helped look for balloons
memorex is playing at Living Legends V
memorex owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
memorex supports Team VICIOUS
memorex is reppin' sidebar 4 life
asking ST to figure out your life You gonna end up in the slums
Old 12-17-2012, 03:49 PM #39
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
Be an ent

Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 PM #40
firerz05
Death before dishonor

firerz05 supports DLX Technology
I wish I had the answers for you man but I'm in almost the same boat. I'm 23 with an associates degree and stuck on what to continue doing with my time. I work in the same field you are currently in and have the same buy less philosophy. A lot of degrees seem like a waste of time and so many jobs seem so unappealing to me.

I guess find out what you are passionate about and go for it. The main reason for my post was to remind you that there are other people in the same boat as you man.
firerz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:58 PM #41
OA paintball
Matt Ragsdale

what part of retail are you guys in? since were all 22/23 with AA's and work retail, this could be silly.

i work for abercrombie and fitch.

Last edited by OA paintball : 12-17-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:39 PM #42
pacasowithagun
SMASH! Now clean it up!!

pacasowithagun owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pacasowithagun is an NCPA National Champion
Travel. Serious.
pacasowithagun is offline   Reply With Quote