Community Focus

Old 12-15-2012, 01:57 AM #1
A5Gunner
DoDgY

A5Gunner supports Team VICIOUS
A5Gunner is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Lost about school

Hi all,
I'm almost 23 and I'm lost to do about school. Right now I have a regular associate's degree. I have also worked retail for 4 years while being in school.

Now I don't know what to major in.. I have tried everything from business, communication, to criminal justice. The latest I have been thinking about being cop and got two perfect A's in my Criminal Justice class. (Accounting/Economics I failed) so the business degree is probably out of the question.

Now it is between Communications, Criminal Justice, or heck joining the Navy! The Navy is really a last resort though. For communications I'm just hoping I will get some internships that could lead to some office work. I want to get anything that is out of retail for now.

Criminal Justice what else is there besides working security, police, or in a jail. I don't really want to do those anymore and I kinda feel at ease that I don't have to deal with troublesome people and people who are at their worst. I don't know.. I'm a happy nice postive person and it's just kinda depressing. Criminal Justice you always have to be alert as well. If you slip one second that could be your life on the line.

I have a fair amount in savings (barely buy anything) and I still have a lot even with buying a brand new afforadble compact car. I always want to find a girl to be with and that might be hard being away from her and family in the Navy and also will never get to drive my car which I love to death.

So I'm completely lost.. people have told me to go to trade schools, get a certificate, but I don't know if those hold any weight. It also just sucks so much because how the job market is right now. I've come to that point where it's pretty much "just get a degree to get one." That is true that a degree and work experience will always give you a extra lead compared to someone who doesn't have one.

I even thought History major but that is probably the most useless. I do have a lot of English classes well and have got many A's and B's in them. I guess my ideal job would be working in an office or something. English could be a useful skill to have, but I don't know if it would be marketable.

Last edited by A5Gunner : 12-15-2012 at 02:02 AM.
A5Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2012, 02:03 AM #2
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D4 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
You seem like a nice guy it's a shame .

I would say be a teacher , like science or math .

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:04 AM #3
sniperscott
Cory, Trevor, smokes now!

should go into engineering
Old 12-15-2012, 02:07 AM #4
paintballaddict80

paintballaddict80 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
paintballaddict80 plays in the APPA D5 division
paintballaddict80 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
paintballaddict80 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperscott View Post
should go into engineering

"Iíve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. Iíve lost almost 300 games. 26 times Iíve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. Iíve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." ĖMichael Jordan
paintballaddict80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:11 AM #5
A5Gunner
DoDgY

my community college nearby offers another's university's program for Political Science. I followed heavily the presdiential debates and it really interested me. I'm a big republican, but also have sides toward Ron Paul.

This was said about it:
If you have at least a graduate level degree in political science, you could always go to work for a nonprofit organization or a nongovernmental organization (NGO) if you are unable to secure a job in academia, private industry, or government. Nonprofit and NGO organizations are always interested in new talent, although the competition is often intense.

I'm wondering if maybe I should do something like major: Communication, English, or Poltical Science then minor in Business Administration (I already have two classes down for it) With any of these degrees I could then get a certificate as a Paralegal. Other than that I just have to hope a business will take me for having a degree. Time's are tough!

Last edited by A5Gunner : 12-15-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:20 AM #6
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L_cGjQSR80http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L_cGjQSR80

Old 12-15-2012, 02:32 AM #7
AlienBoy

navy don't be a *******. Pays for school.

Come out with stacks on stacks on stacks.

One thing i remembered from a wise old man.

"You can never own *****, you can only rent it"

Don't forget that quote ya digg.

Get that money and then get *****. And about the car, **** the car... get money fool quit acting like a *****, take the city bus if you need too. This is real life we talkin.

Last edited by AlienBoy : 12-15-2012 at 02:35 AM.
AlienBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:55 AM #8
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
I like the rent ***** line

Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 AM #9
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

Pick up a trade. Jobs with degrees are over saturating the market. My people will be eating yours when society collapses. Then ill build a house over my head that I learned from my trade. :p
Old 12-15-2012, 09:24 AM #10
A Contract Killer

A Contract Killer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Don't go to school just to go to school. Too many people are in college today as it is for that exact reason and a ton of them either drop out before finishing or end up with a $150k liberal arts degree that won't really help them make any more money. Really give some thought to what you want to do before you commit to anything.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:37 AM #11
Evac.
Wolfpack

Annual Supporting Member
Evac. is a Paintball photographer
Evac. plays in the PSP
yeah like a fireman or cockroach exterminator. you know, **** we could use swag.
Evac. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 AM #12
Slayinpoon
2k6

school drools

East Carolina University
Slayinpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:30 PM #13
chrom3penguin (Banned)

chrom3penguin owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
chrom3penguin supports Team VICIOUS
chrom3penguin supports Pev's Paintball
www.chippendales.com
chrom3penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:34 PM #14
Ryan3773 (Banned)
PoopScooper

Reported
Ryan3773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:51 PM #15
DJ Bob (Banned)

you should be a doctor
DJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:56 PM #16
PMR4LIFE
idk

PMR4LIFE helped look for balloons
PMR4LIFE is reppin' sidebar 4 life
PMR4LIFE has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PMR4LIFE has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
PMR4LIFE is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
I watched that the other day. I'm glad I did.
Hobbes The Tiger: "Touch ourselves? Experiment with our sexuality? Duct tape DMC to the ceiling? Make PMR burn his Stamkos spank bank? Make demonic look at Kovy pr0nz? Make Burrows live in a house that's under 200k?"
New York Yankees Pittsburgh Steelers Tampa Bay Lightning UCF Knights
:daveface:
PMR4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:22 PM #17
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
It's solid problem is if you want to be a race car driver or something you need money .

Be a Dj

Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 PM #18
Zerosignals
52nd street gang

Didn't read your diary but sounds like you need to stop over thinking ****.

Jamin fan club
Zerosignals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 PM #19
Ly$ol (Banned)
Spit Yo Yo Mafia

Disregard School acquire *****es
Ly$ol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:32 AM #20
A5Gunner
DoDgY

It's a personal goal to finish school and get a bachelor's degree. I know it's a sad world and economy we live in now.

I'm a really good worker and I know it's only retail but I always get rave reviews from my managers of how great and hard of a worker I'm compared to others. You give me a job I will get it done. I do make mistakes every now and then, but if you tell me once I make sure it doesn't happen again and I learn that way.

It's come down to Political Science or Communications? Which one do you guys think. I'm going to try to get a job over the summer with my associates that is a little bit higher up compared to retail. I figure I can get some more "work experience" there and then an internship to go with one of the majors.

I have heard the work experience can override a degree and adding a bachelor's would never hurt.

Here's my idea..

-Political Science: Work as a Paralegal, government job, non-profit agency, maybe business.

-Communication: Pretty much business or some company.

I had a wild idea of Political Science Major I only need 30 cr. to get bachelor's in this program. Then minor in Communications which is like 3 or 4 more classes only.

The Communication major is 39 cr. So it would almost be the same thing and you get both. For Poltical Science the campus I can attend is closer (10 miles) not in the city either compared to 24 miles. going one way for both. Communications minor or major I would have to take at the farther campus. So if it is a minor that could mean only one day a week I have to go there.

2 people I know reccomended communications and one said poltical science. I personally feel like communication is important in order to talk to people, but in a degree job search I think the poltical science has a little bit more exploration of different areas. Maybe Communications is just enough for a minor? It still has some classes where you have to learn public speaking, get in front of people etc.

Oh and the communication major is kinda different. You take a lot of communication classes, but you also have to take a few media and theatre classes as well. If you minor you can get it solely in Communications though.

Last edited by A5Gunner : 12-16-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 AM #21
dub CRISP
tra la la la la la

neither comm or poli sci are great in this economy, TBH communications is a bit of a joke and poli sci isn't all that helpful in getting a job.

I'm about to graduate with a degree in economics and I have no trouble beating out comm majors for jobs.

If you really want to make yourself useful then major in computer science, every company ever is looking for computer scientists and for some reason people just don't major in it enough.

If you don't like programming then consider math, bio, physics, chem or engineering. You could also try your hand at econ at another school, sometimes it just takes the right professor to get you hooked. If you major in the sciences you will have a lot more opportunity than if you do anything else.

That said though, don't do any of these things if you don't like them. If you have a clear idea about where you want to go after college and you're passionate about it then shoot for it .

weanegro: its like a really tiny person eating a regular size gummy worm

HOW.THE.WORLS.SHOULD.WORK
"Originally posted by komodo-117: our beloved pharmacudical companies"
dub CRISP is offline   Reply With Quote