Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-21-2015, 10:28 AM #1
JFalco

Playing with Renters

So I used to play a good amount of paintball, but I quit playing in '08 when I went to college. Now that I have a good job and can afford to play, I have gotten back into it. I even convinced some buddies from work to come out and play. It's been a long time since I played, so I am very rusty.

I got my E-Bladed Autococker up and running, and I am getting ready to go play on Memorial Day. My buddies from work are going to come out and play, but they are going to be using rentals. Is it weird for me to bring a gun that out shoots theirs? Is it weird for me to play with the rental guys when I have a better gun?
JFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2015, 10:32 AM #2
PeaTear_Griffin
GUNDAMNIT

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
PeaTear_Griffin is playing at Living Legends V
PeaTear_Griffin is playing at Living Legends VI
PeaTear_Griffin is playing at Living Legends VII
PeaTear_Griffin is playing at Living Legends VIII
PeaTear_Griffin supports Team VICIOUS
Well just because you have a gun that out shoots theirs doesn't mean that you have to when playing vs rentals. I know everyone says to bring mechs and stuff for playing walk on but why buy another gun if you don't want to? Just ease off that trigger.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:34 AM #3
JFalco

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I wouldn't be laying down loads of paint. I am a budget baller.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:45 AM #4
Lazarusrat

Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Just my opinion here.

1. If you are just playing with them, then Yes it is weird and you should get rental as well. (1 super gun in a sea of rentals makes things lopsided and will cause hard feelings with your co workers)

2. If you are playing at a major field there will be tons of other people using their personal guns so you using yours would be ok. (1 super gun is a sea super guns and rentals makes no difference)
Old 05-21-2015, 10:46 AM #5
bkblitzed
wants your gun

bkblitzed owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
bkblitzed has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
large group of rentals play on our field time to time. Occasionally we end up in like a 10v10 on the speedball field which is pretty fun. But i dont shoot as much in those kind of games since most of the players are rentals. And i just play in my luxe or lv1, so i wouldn't think its weird.
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:17 PM #6
JFalco

Additionally, one of my friends is buying a Proto Rail soon, though he is completely new to paintball (has played a few times with rentals at our local speedball field). Is it going to be odd if me and him go play together with the rental guys, or since we have better guns, should we play with the "advanced" players, who are shooting DMs n such. I don't want him to get a sour taste in his mouth after just buying a gun, because we have to play with people who light him up.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:36 PM #7
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is playing at Living Legends VIII
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
I like to have several options when I play with renters. Frankly, those games are some of the most fun you can have, because renters will do stuff no "experienced" player would, and it's an opportunity to make sure those guys have a good time.

First, I like to have a pump in my gear bag. That's my go-to for playing with renters. It doesn't matter what else I attach to my pump. I could have my Stella barrel, Z2, and compressed air tank on there, and all they really see is "it's a pump". Less firepower = less intimidating.

Second, if I have to play with a mechanical semiauto or an electronic gun for some reason, I'll run a gravity hopper, and no pods. There's no reason to fully "suit up" to play with a rental group.

Third, sometimes it's fun to get to the game start point and just hand off a nicer gun to some renter. Ask him to switch guns. Let them run something nice for a game.

Finally, displaying personal self control is always important with renters. Laying down a big-time lane, bunkering moves, things like that, they're just not called for in most rental groups. Now, teaching them things like basic communication and movement on a field, that's something else. Some groups love that kind of help, some just want to be out there shooting each other. Both can be fun.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:44 PM #8
JFalco

I wish I had a pump gun. But I like your ideas. Do you think the "advanced" players will look at us goofy for playing with the noobs with eguns?
Old 05-21-2015, 01:27 PM #9
jestep

Don't worry about it. Play fair, take time to teach new players, don't be a jerk, and there's nothing to worry about. Everyone had to start at the beginning. If someone thinks you're goofy playing with new players, that's their problem.
jestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:02 PM #10
paintzapper
Haven fun yet?

paintzapper supports Bob Gurnsey
paintzapper has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Even when I have my pump on the field with renters/first timers/kids, I just play like a dork. I don't use bunkers properly and run all over the place, maybe if I get the chance I will shoot some.

Sometimes I just lean on a bunker and shoot one handed from the hip. Act a fool and have fun.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:01 PM #11
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
Play hopper ball and set your board to a super low bps. IMO, no need not to play with your marker. Just even the playing field a little and have fun.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:16 PM #12
seahiker
Off. OT OG forum Tr.

seahiker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Play with your gun and gear, no need to handycap. Show them what non-rental gun is capable of, but don't overshoot them. Swap your gun with your buddies between games.
That way you may get a few more people into the sport, make them get their own gear, and have more in common with your friends at work.

Some of my best paintball buddies are ones I used to work with.
seahiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:23 PM #13
emcnelly

Usually what I do is ask the owner of the field if I can use his pump if there is a lot of renters and no experienced players with their own equipment. Since I don't own a pump yet if I can't borrow one I set a very low bps cap on my gun to ensure that I can't out gun someone. Like some guys said don't take it too seriously go out there have fun and teach some newer players the ropes.

Bob Long Onslaught Dust White and Purple F/S/T
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post90500321
emcnelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:51 PM #14
CamoFish

I run my Etha at 10.5 semi only capped, all the time.
That is in big games, small games, rentals and seasoned players.
When I'm on the REC field with noobs, I'm always involving them, helping them with were to get, how to use cover, how to not give there postions away by resting the marker over or in the windows, etc.
I do my best to go EASY on the trigger, 1, 2, 3 rounds at a time. I still will bunker noobs, but instead of shooting them, surrender them or just out flank them and put 1 in them.
It's all about having fun, if you go out with a super marker and shoot everyone up. NO one will have fun, they will leave pissed off and you'll have no one to shoot in the afternoon, and you won't have fun either.

Just use your hand, go easy on the paint, involve and team your noob team mates and if your buddies want to try your marker and you want them to use it, that's always fun too and you'll get more guys and friends to get into the sport and play with.
CamoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:00 PM #15
seahiker
Off. OT OG forum Tr.

seahiker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I believe the theme of the topic has been lost.
It's not another "pro vs renters", it's about having fun with co-workers at a paintball field as opposed to at a pub next block.
seahiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:57 AM #16
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

Dude, how hard is it to shoot one ball at a time every two to three seconds with an eblade?

If some regular electronic marker user starts wiping your one ball, just so he doesn't look bad in front of your rental co-workers (this happens ALOT, this is why I sandbag onto the team that is stacked against), you now have the ability to surprise waste him with 10 more. It can get really hilarious when everyone is shooting really slow, he is expecting to get away with wiping, when suddenly he get's bonusballed from nowhere from an angle he did not expect. Someone needs to catch that on video someday.

Not saying bonusball rentals. You can still remark exactly where they wipe their initial hit really quick. It's not like they are aware of what is going on anyway.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 05-22-2015 at 05:02 AM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:53 PM #17
SkriptAsylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahiker View Post
Play with your gun and gear, no need to handycap. Show them what non-rental gun is capable of, but don't overshoot them. Swap your gun with your buddies between games.
I second this.
SkriptAsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:05 AM #18
JTBaller203

JTBaller203 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JTBaller203 supports Team VICIOUS
JTBaller203 posts videos on PbNation
JTBaller203 plays in the APPA D4 division
JTBaller203 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
In those situations, I bring 3/4 of a hopper worth of paint and put my gun in the lowest bps semi possible. This way all my shots must count. Like previous posts above, occasionally switch out your marker with others so they can see what it is like to use it ( you might even convince your buddies to get into paintball).
JTBaller203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:40 PM #19
DoomCookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkriptAsylum View Post
I second this.
That's what I normally do when I play with inexperience rentals. I let them use my marker and my back up marker. It's fun to use the tippmann 98 once in awhile.Remind you that you made some good investments by buying your own gears
DoomCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:54 AM #20
Tombstone82

Annual Supporting Member
Tombstone82 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I've played with the rental/noob groups before when there hasnt been a turn out from the expierenced players. I've always sandbagged it, and helped them out giving pointers and such. I wont stay on the same side either, I will switch teams in between games or every few games.

Exiled Souls
Tombstone82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:39 PM #21
NADIOUS

the woodball field i play at some times has a 12 year olds birth day party on one team and speed ballers looking to waste their old paint on the other team. nobody complains refs usually will try to balance teams. so go ahead and use your gun
NADIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote