Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-20-2015, 07:23 PM #1
neosynephrine

"That Guy"

Today I came across something on Reddit that made me question if I am being "That Guy."

Someone made an Ask Reddit post titled "What is cool to be good at, yet uncool to be REALLY good at?" One of the responses was about paintball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddit
Paintball. Going out with your buddies and lighting them up all day is cool. Going 4 times a week with a 400 dollar gun and shooting 12 year olds at a birthday party....slightly less cool

EDIT - Turns out $400 for a gun is about a grand short of the high end ****! And I thought I was using hyperbole

I am 33 and I am just getting into paintball. I played a few times when I was a teenager and loved it but never had the money to play regularly. Now I have a good job so I decided to jump in. I bought a used LV1 on this forum and started going to a local field and I have been having a blast. I have my gun capped at 10bps and leave it on semi because a lot of people use rentals. However, some other people have electronic guns as well and the refs do a good job of keeping the teams even.

My question is: Am I a jerk for even playing with rental groups? I have gone a total of 5 times so far so I am not amazing skill-wise. As I get better should I stop playing with casual weekend groups? Am I ruining people's fun by having my own equipment?

Thanks
neosynephrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2015, 07:36 PM #2
cheapchi
mmmmmm...Tiger Balm

has been a member for 10 years
Self reflection may be in order.
Maybe you are looking for a way to level the playing field with the walkon renters. Have you tried playing with less paint in your pack? This is assuming you use one. How about playing hopper ball when it is clear that you want a greater challenge?

Just deciding to self-limit the amount of paint you choose to shoot could create greater satisfaction.
cheapchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:40 PM #3
neosynephrine

I have my hopper and one pod. I end up using the pod about 1/5 of the time. What is hopper ball?
neosynephrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:57 PM #4
C0lin
-KP3 Owners club-

Annual Supporting Member
C0lin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosynephrine View Post
What is hopper ball?
Playing with a hopper full of paint and no pods.
C0lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:25 PM #5
Loner Norcal
NorcaL RecBall Player

Loner Norcal owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Loner Norcal has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I've actually asked the same question to myself all the time. And I honestly don't know the answer.

That being said, it sometimes feels like unless you play speedball, having an electronic gun is frowned upon. Honestly, the two options that always seem to present itself is...

1) switch fields until you find a field with higher competition

Or

2) downgrade your equipment by doing hopper ball and or pump and/or (insert arbitrary solution here)
Old 08-20-2015, 09:46 PM #6
Sydarm
accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosynephrine View Post
Am I ruining people's fun by having my own equipment?
No. Hell no. This is not how you ruin the game for people and I strongly disagree with the other posters if they support this notion.

You ruin the game, perhaps by definition, by decreasing the amount of fun of other participants. If you are a good and engaging teammate who demonstrates good sportsmanship and helps out newer players, then you are doing quite the opposite of ruining the game for others.

Obviously, since you may have more experience and certainly better gear, use restraint in overshooting (or sometimes, like when your movement puts you behind a new player in recball, shooting at all). You need to judge the situation and know when to fire no balls, fire one and tell em they are out, or blast away. Every situation is different.

It is the very people who play recball as if they are playing speedball amongst their buddies, overshoot, wipe, cause scenes, act rudely to young/inexperienced players, and make the game about themselves that are "that guy".
Old 08-20-2015, 09:51 PM #7
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Much like a golfer is never seen with one club, I'm never at the field with one gun. I'm often shocked that more players DON'T show up with at least three vastly different guns.

Field full of renters and you want a challenge? Pull out the pump or pistol.
Field full of renters and you want to play a relaxed game where you fit in? Pull out the old blowback.

Mixed group? Bring out the fancy mech (cocker, automag, etc). Mixed group but there's an uneven amount of electro paint hoses? Grab your fancy electro to even the numbers.

Heck, even in a group of mostly experienced players I'll switch guns throughout the day just to stretch the paint supply. Electro to fancy mech to blowback to pump to semi pistol to stock class pistol (and a couple times, to sling shotting balls on the ground).

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:02 AM #8
Sn4zzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
Much like a golfer is never seen with one club, I'm never at the field with one gun. I'm often shocked that more players DON'T show up with at least three vastly different guns.

Field full of renters and you want to play a relaxed game where you fit in? Pull out the old blowback.

Mixed group? Bring out the fancy mech (cocker, automag, etc). Mixed group but there's an uneven amount of electro paint hoses? Grab your fancy electro to even the numbers.

Heck, even in a group of mostly experienced players I'll switch guns throughout the day just to stretch the paint supply. Electro to fancy mech to blowback to pump to semi pistol to stock class pistol (and a couple times, to sling shotting balls on the ground).
I aint got the dough for that many markers. haha. But honestly with an electro just cap yourself if need be and it's all good.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:58 AM #9
C0lin
-KP3 Owners club-

Annual Supporting Member
C0lin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
At my local field, when there are a lot of renters, they ask the people with e-guns to only use one finger on the trigger. You won't be able to walk the trigger and you'll shoot less. Try this out if there are a lot of renters next time you go out to play.
C0lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:06 AM #10
aclark364
say no to wall hangers

aclark364 is playing at Living Legends VIII
aclark364 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
aclark364 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydarm View Post
No. Hell no. This is not how you ruin the game for people and I strongly disagree with the other posters if they support this notion.

You ruin the game, perhaps by definition, by decreasing the amount of fun of other participants. If you are a good and engaging teammate who demonstrates good sportsmanship and helps out newer players, then you are doing quite the opposite of ruining the game for others.

Obviously, since you may have more experience and certainly better gear, use restraint in overshooting (or sometimes, like when your movement puts you behind a new player in recball, shooting at all). You need to judge the situation and know when to fire no balls, fire one and tell em they are out, or blast away. Every situation is different.

It is the very people who play recball as if they are playing speedball amongst their buddies, overshoot, wipe, cause scenes, act rudely to young/inexperienced players, and make the game about themselves that are "that guy".
this.
2K5 Super Stock Autococker Body
Gearbag sale
aclark364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:21 PM #11
paintzapper
Haven fun yet?

paintzapper supports Bob Gurnsey
paintzapper has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
You would be "that guy" with the electro if you hosed everything down with paint with little regard to other players.

If you can't/don't want to afford different gear for different levels of play, just restrain yourself. You seem to be consciously doing this already from your first post.

When I see new/rental players I will hardly push myself to play hard. sometimes I just skip around the field "shooting at" the opposing team.

You could use this less competitive atmosphere to do something challenging for you. One of my personal favorites is standing in the open, trying to dodge paint while shooting back with my off hand.

You don't always have to win to have fun

Last edited by paintzapper : 08-21-2015 at 01:31 PM.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:01 PM #12
ThatLaoGuy

ThatLaoGuy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
I am in a similar situation as you. I just came back and started getting into paintball. Have more money to blow now so I just went out and bought an axe pro and all the top end gear but yet to step on the field yet. Went the first time and people were just telling me how awesome my fear was and how pro I was. I had to explain constantly I was trash. I soon realize this electronic and gear is too much for basic walk ons which is what I usually play. I just want to play casually and not into airball. That being said I bought a cheap hammer 7 pump and an empire ressi. And I get less people being pessimistic before the game even starts. My axe pro hasn't seen the field after 2 uses lol. Even if I use a gravity fed hopper, all the newbies just see a sicckass full auto machine gun. In my position , I rather downgrade.
ThatLaoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:06 PM #13
masiman

masiman is playing at Living Legends VIII
masiman is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
masiman owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
masiman supports DLX Technology
I usually bring along a Tippman 98 in case my electro is ruining the vibe for the walkons. It is pretty funny to see the 98 with a 90ci tank and Rotor.
masiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:49 PM #14
paintzapper
Haven fun yet?

paintzapper supports Bob Gurnsey
paintzapper has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLaoGuy View Post
....And I get less people being pessimistic before the game even starts. My axe pro hasn't seen the field after 2 uses lol. Even if I use a gravity fed hopper, all the newbies just see a sicckass full auto machine gun. In my position , I rather downgrade.
Just cover your marker with a toothpaste/hemorrhoid cream box. They wont see anything!

Tried to find a pic, but I cant seem to find them anymore.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:31 PM #15
ThatLaoGuy

ThatLaoGuy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintzapper View Post
Just cover your marker with a toothpaste/hemorrhoid cream box. They wont see anything!

Tried to find a pic, but I cant seem to find them anymore.
I would try to hide it but I discovered pump because of this and its a lot of fun. I plan to get a better pump soon too. Being an older player now and just doing casual walk ons, its all I need.
ThatLaoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:46 PM #16
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

I've been playing hopper ball for quite a long time, Even against tourney players it doesn't matter. I am always handicapping myself. Other players don't realize it and think I am a newbie when I don't have pods. This causes me to be left out of some of the more advanced games at least until they let me play one game. I'll lane off the break, then I'll work my way to the 50 and beyond.

I tend to finish off rentals faster with less paint than somebody who just unloads everything he has. I seem like a harmless player, but every shot I am shooting at you is going to hit you if you don't move. I try to avoid rentals, but sometimes there literally is no one else to go up against on the certified field. Certified fields have more newbies than experienced players.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:27 AM #17
zcason

zcason is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
I don't think using your own gear would ruin the game for anybody as long as you aren't being an absolute jerk. Personally my local field is really starting to take off and on a typical saturday at the right time we can get around 30v30 going, so having a way to lay down some extra paint to free up my rentals to make bigger moves is always a pleasure.
Generally our regulars will kind of face off when they spot each other and let the rentals do their thing. This way the rentals have fun and the regulars get that extra challenge and the thrill of a 1v1. I like to chill about midways up to give my rentals some confidence to move forward with me while creating opportunities to get somebody out or flank around. I only take charge when we start to get our butts whipped, otherwise I'll let the rentals tell me where they need some help.
zcason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:10 AM #18
JordanPischke
Canadian Baller

Annual Supporting Member
I tend to play with renters just because I usually go to the field alone or with one friend, but I always just stay on semi auto and will share some of my paint with the renters if they need a pod in between games etc. I have been turned down from joining rental groups just because of the way I look or my gun etc but that's fine too. Young guns where I usually go also has these organized group plays where it's just drop in and play with a big group and it is always fun. They also have various clubs that play so it is easy enough for me to just go when the group play or clubs are on and join them and no one cares what your using. I have had someone get mad at me and my cousin during the group play once, but to be honest I'm not sure why. I was using semi auto on my mini and just walking the trigger once and awhile and he has an x7 phenom and was switching between burst and semi and we had someone just get mad and yell "F***ing speedballers" which first of all makes no sense my cousin was using a woodsball gun, but I do look like a speedballer not that that means anything though.
JordanPischke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:01 PM #19
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John donated to help Peyton Trent
John is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
John owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
John is Boss
John supports DLX Technology
The sheer fact that you are thinking about it means you aren't "that guy."

Be personable, talk to everyone, don't overshoot people, laugh, have fun, let people test fire your gun and you can actually be a draw to the field. People will want to come back because of you.

Keep making sure teams are fair every game. If teams can't be fair because of you, it might be time to buy a mechanical gun, borrow a rental or even buy a pump.

Just like one guy can be the life of a party, experienced players can make the experience at a field way more fun for everyone.
John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:31 PM #20
safariguy5
Bear Cavalry

Annual Supporting Member
safariguy5 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
safariguy5 plays in the APPA D5 division
safariguy5 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
safariguy5 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
safariguy5 supports Empire
I was out at my field today and I helped some kids from a rental party out on rec. Showing them where to bump, giving some covering fire. Pretty soon, I had a squad of 3 kids following me around because I was helping them out. Definitely different and I feel good helping out new players.
safariguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:35 AM #21
Beasty
Ball Hard Chill Easy

Beasty owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Beasty is for the Gunfight
Beasty has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Beasty is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post

I think this guy has it just about down. While I personally can't afford to have tons of guns. If your casually playing on the weekends with renters/new players, you're probably better off with a open class pump, a stock class pump, or a mech gun playing hopper ball.

What I don't understand is why people are so afraid to run onto a field with their blowback and a shake and shoot and play with renters. Most of the time you have a huge advantage just by having a clean barrel, as opposed to many rentals.
Beasty is offline   Reply With Quote