Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-25-2012, 04:07 PM #85
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoBaller1991 View Post
free will
you know, this is always something that confused me. If someone's free will to slap me in the face cancels my free will to be left alone, then I have no free will. At least that is the way I see it.
Advertisement
Old 12-25-2012, 04:22 PM #86
Saul G

God hates children
Saul G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:15 PM #87
tomM925
R.I.P America.

tomM925 supports DLX Technology
So God is real...

Says who?

OBAMA SUCKS.
tomM925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:29 PM #88
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomM925 View Post
So God is real...

Says who?
Eh? Billions of Christians?
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:30 PM #89
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
you know, this is always something that confused me. If someone's free will to slap me in the face cancels my free will to be left alone, then I have no free will. At least that is the way I see it.
One is an act, the other is a desire. Free will doesn't mean I get to sprout wings and fly just for wanting to do it.

To everyone else:
The idea that the only way for God to exist is if the Universe was this paradise where no one fights, gets sick, or dies, is so ****ing stupid it is beyond words.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 12-25-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:35 PM #90
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
One is an act, the other is a desire. Free will doesn't mean I get to sprout wings and fly just for wanting to do it.

The idea that the only way for God to exist is if the Universe was this paradise where no one fights, gets sick, or dies, is so ****ing stupid it is beyond words.
Lol have fun martian. This thread is your responsibility now.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:36 PM #91
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
Lol have fun martian. This thread is your responsibility now.
Haha. We'll see. Merry Christmas bud.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:40 PM #92
F1VENOM

By the way what was the debate about, TSA?
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 12-25-2012, 05:45 PM #93
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

You too, martian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
By the way what was the debate about, TSA?
Huh?
Old 12-25-2012, 05:51 PM #94
F1VENOM

Quote:
Why must everyone twist this conversation into something it is not?
Old 12-25-2012, 05:57 PM #95
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Simply put, it's a ****ty study twisted by ****ty statistics and misunderstanding of how religious statistics work. To be honest, I have said all I would like to say and have left a link that covers the notion quite well and points out all the flaws (confusing non-religious with atheistic when it suits them, ignoring the effects of prison ministries, etc). I would prefer to let this die at this point.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:06 PM #96
F1VENOM

I thought that was long ago established, hence my lackluster response.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:10 PM #97
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

"TSA, call then unsure but hoping for repentance?"

You were trying to define them in terms that I was not. I am simply talking in terms of self-declared religious or non-religious, church attending or non-church attending, etc. I've intentionally used sociological and statistical terms (because that's kinda the point), yet everyone else seems to want to twist this into terms like real and non-real, saved, unsure but hopeful. For the sake of this discussion, I couldn't care less about those things, yet they keep coming back over and over again. It seems impossible to have a reasonable discussion about statistical analysis of religion around here. And it is becoming quite frustrating.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:17 PM #98
F1VENOM

You're likely running into our limitations. I've never stepped foot in a Sociology class and my statistical background is pretty limited with only one class in theory and the rest from physics courses.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:20 PM #99
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Understandable. It was a smaller part of my graduate work, so I am by no mean an expert either, but I suppose I may have expected too much.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:38 PM #100
F1VENOM

I see what you're getting at after re-reading your posts. You'll have to lead me to the koolaide and I'll tell you if I'll drink it. Perhaps I should read the previous pages of debate and the study before I report back.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:49 PM #101
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
I do not claim to "have the authority to say who is truly a religious follower", but I do have the right to determine practicing and non practicing followers, as well as self-declared religious and self-declared non-religious followers, from a sociological perspective. No where am I saying they aren't real, they aren't going to heaven, etc. I AM TALKING IN A STATISTICAL SOCIOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE, and I (as someone who has studied this) have every right to do so.
Alright. That's reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomM925 View Post
God isnt real, science is. Its almost 2013 people. Cmon.

Ugh.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:23 PM #102
Carnage88

The statistics prove nothing other than those that have broken the law want to be pardoned, in this life or the next.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 PM #103
Team Hazmat

Ok, this is being posted after not reading any other replies in this post, so I appologize if I'm repaeating anything already said.

Now, for the subject at hand.

As for why God let this happened, I don't know.

But, this must be said. God should not be looked at as some puppeteer that controls all we do. Think of Him as a watcher and steps in just enough for those of faith to keep their faith and hopefully to show those who don't believe that He is here for us and loves us.

What happened at Sandyhook is an horrible, terrible thing that should have never happened. But, for those who believe God is real, we can not dwell on it, for those little ones are in His holy hands and the killer has to face His wrath.

Just my input.

God Bless

"Sure it only takes one shot to eliminate someone, but all the extras are insurance" -Chris
Team Hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:44 AM #104
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Hazmat View Post
Ok, this is being posted after not reading any other replies in this post, so I appologize if I'm repaeating anything already said.

Now, for the subject at hand.

As for why God let this happened, I don't know.

But, this must be said. God should not be looked at as some puppeteer that controls all we do. Think of Him as a watcher and steps in just enough for those of faith to keep their faith and hopefully to show those who don't believe that He is here for us and loves us.

What happened at Sandyhook is an horrible, terrible thing that should have never happened. But, for those who believe God is real, we can not dwell on it, for those little ones are in His holy hands and the killer has to face His wrath.

Just my input.

God Bless
What makes you so sure this is an actual description of how God operates? Any supporting scripture that depicts this? Or was that just an idea you liked and decided to believe as true?
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 PM #105
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by spracks21 View Post
What makes you so sure this is an actual description of how God operates? Any supporting scripture that depicts this? Or was that just an idea you liked and decided to believe as true?
That's an easy one, you don't even have to get past Genesis. Give that a quick skim, read between the lines a bit.

Could an all powerful being control the world enough that nothing "bad" happens? Sure. But we'd be monkeys in a zoo. Safe, secure, but not free.

Now according to scripture we could have had this, just don't eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge. Be ignorant pets.

Yeah, that would have sucked. So we got the knowledge, we know right from wrong, but with that comes the cost... and the blessing. Choice. Believe what you want, think what you want. But others are free to do that as well. Bad thoughts. Evil thoughts. Crazy thoughts. And the sucky actions that follow.

That's the deal. We have to live with all the bad stuff we bring upon ourselves, or get back in the monkey cage, if it's allowed. And even if it was, I think I'd rather deal with the crap. With danger and strife comes evolution.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote