Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 08:34 PM #316
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Also, note, I believe they shouldn't because I do appreciate bi-partisanship and as you said I believe the GOP is coming back to Earth and soon we will have proper discourse again (or at least better).
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 PM #317
slateman
 
 
slateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chantilly, VA
slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
slateman is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarusrat View Post
But its still all within the same sentence and therefore a single cohesive thought.

So by one saying, that comas, may separtate dependant and independant parts a of a sentance, they still do not make the two cluases separtate thoughts.

If the author wanted the two dependant and independant clauses to be taken and two separate, independant thoughts, they would have used a period.

As Tafari pointed out, just because you have rights it doesn't mean you can do what ever the **** you want. You can't carry your gun on to others property, you can't yell fire in a theater, and you can't carry a weapon in to a prison or court house.

Bottom line is there are limits to all rights.

What good does it do to have an armed guard if that guard can not use their weapon without putting innocent by-standards at risk because they have no training or clue how to use their weapon? It seems like the better solution is either require those guards to have training or not let them be armed (which makes being a guard kind of pointless).
1. Independent clauses can stand by themselves. Again, grammar fail.

2. You're right, however, it's understood that unless otherwise prohibited, the bill of rights applies in all situations. Therefore, I assume that when I go to a mall or someone's house, they're fine with me carrying. I have that right.

3. Armed guards are given training for civil liability purposes. Their carrying privileges do not extend outside of their place of work unless they get dispensation from the government (ie, a concealed carry permit). In DC, a guard is required to transport his/her weapon unloaded in a locked container. Carry laws vary from state to state, but outside of work, they are required to obey them, whatever they may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaNeo36 View Post
What gun control measures do you believe the Democrats could push through? They don't exactly have the world at the their finger tips right now...

My prediction is everyone forgets about this tragedy in a couple weeks and nothing comes from it until the next event, ad infinitum.
Probably what was on the table in 04. Same as the AWB, however, you're not allowed to sell any AWB items. Everything is grandfathered in, you just can't sell them like you could before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
I would think some obvious ones like the gun show loopholes, perhaps some shoring up of the national database and more than anything, getting some help for the mental healthcare community.

Here's some food for thought. The original AWB was derided because it focused on appearance and configuration more than anything; what would you say to an AWB that focused on performance?
There is no gun show loophole
President Obama's Department of Justice killed plans to expand background checks

Bottom line is that this will simply become politics. They will try to ban more than they care about it. When it gets fought down, it will end up being the same AWB. If crime goes down, the Dems will say that it was because of the AWB. If it doesn't, they will blame it on the GOP for not allowing them to ban more items/characteristics.
__________________
In your haste to save the world, take care you don't destroy it.
slateman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 PM #318
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateman View Post
From your link:
"The purported loophole that Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand seeks to close: private firearms sales between private individuals. Not dealer to customer, or customer to dealer. Private citizen to private citizen. A transaction which does not require a Form 4473 or a NICS background check."

That is estimated to make up to 40% of gun sales. 40% of gun sales go unregulated and without a background check. This is entirely the point!
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:00 PM #319
Blake360
 
 
Blake360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Socal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post

Why they don't need to worry about public opinion in the short run with regards to certain types of gun control:
If semi-automatics are banned, that would only leave automatic guns to be legal. What you're saying is you'd rather have machine guns legal rather than pistols?
I'm thinking you don't even know what semi-automatic means.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 PM #320
drgonzo
Half-cocked
 
drgonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateman View Post
There is no gun show loophole
President Obama's Department of Justice killed plans to expand background checks

Bottom line is that this will simply become politics. They will try to ban more than they care about it. When it gets fought down, it will end up being the same AWB. If crime goes down, the Dems will say that it was because of the AWB. If it doesn't, they will blame it on the GOP for not allowing them to ban more items/characteristics.
Lol "truthaboutguns.com" and breitbart. And then you say this will simply become politics. That's like setting a fire and saying there's too much arson.
__________________
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:21 PM #321
Blake360
 
 
Blake360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Socal
Interesting coincidence here, sandy hook was referenced in the dark knight movie, as seen on the left side of the map in this scene:

http://www.imgbox.de/users/Deckard66...ndy_Hook_1.jpg

http://www.imgbox.de/users/Deckard66...ndy_Hook_2.jpg

In the second image the guy even puts his finger on it.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:27 PM #322
Volucris
asmuchtextastheywillallow
 
Volucris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Nashville
You can't regulate non-FFL transfers out of the same way you can't stop regulate kids in grade school trading baseball cards. There's no way to stop it.

But once again, how the **** does any of this have to do with Friday's shooting. The kid killed his own mother and stole her guns. Yet all you retards want to do is go after law-abiding citizens. You don't give two ****s about kids being killed in schools. You probably like it. I bet you just ****ing love the idea of little kids having their brains splattered across tile floors because it gives you a reason to go after people like me. It doesn't matter to you that none of the laws matter to the people who kill the kids, you just manipulate and lie to the dumb****, lemming-like populace that will slop up your partisan rhetoric like pigs in ****.

Your recipe is the same every time as well. You propose **** arguments and irrelevant links, and then the smart people put your arguments down and show you why you're 100% wrong. Once that happens you wait a day for some sad excuse for genital excrement like blake360 to **** up the thread really good. It's a pretty standard counterintelligence maneuver for internet discussions. After blake has been called back to his cage, you come back, propose the SAME **** arguments, and try to claim "victory" because nobody wants to deal with your stupid **** again.

Oh look, a Harvard study concluding that gun control does nothing to increase or decrease violent crime!
http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf
Volucris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:31 PM #323
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure
 
StellarKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Lost...In a Lost World
StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
Interesting coincidence here, sandy hook was referenced in the dark knight movie, as seen on the left side of the map in this scene:

http://www.imgbox.de/users/Deckard66...ndy_Hook_1.jpg

http://www.imgbox.de/users/Deckard66...ndy_Hook_2.jpg

In the second image the guy even puts his finger on it.
Prepare to have your fluoride-addled brain BLOWN: CN and CO tragedies linked to LIBOR scandal
__________________
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
StellarKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:38 PM #324
drgonzo
Half-cocked
 
drgonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volucris View Post
You can't regulate non-FFL transfers out of the same way you can't stop regulate kids in grade school trading baseball cards. There's no way to stop it.
Not sure if you're referring to me but this is obviously a ridiculous comparison.
__________________
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 PM #325
AlphaNeo36
lapping your tears
 
AlphaNeo36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 765-IN
 has been a member for 10 years
Aside from taking away all firearms, how would any proposed change limit atrocities like Sandy Hook? That's the problem I have with reaction based legislation like gun control after mass shootings. The ideas proposed really don't introduce any hurdles to perpetrators of said events in retrospect.
__________________
Overbear: better 10 innocent men be convicted, than a single guilty man go free to commit more crime.
Overbear: I prefer that I be given a license to shoot anyone who would pick socialism or communism over the basic freedoms inherent to consumerism.
MatrixBaller04 AKA EricS6661: I can guarantee something will happen between now and February 9th.
yesme: i'm not saying you should invest in gold first off, you would be much better off to invest in food,stuff you use and will keep for a couple of years, like razors
Blake360: in highschool, my teacher's father worked for the CIA and she brought my class documents proving the Roswell crash was of extraterrestrial origin.
AlphaNeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 PM #326
tsbalr120
Goooonsberry
 
tsbalr120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cowbutt, AR
tsbalr120 plays in the MiLP
tsbalr120 is an NCPA player
tsbalr120 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarusrat View Post
Ironic that 2 weeks ago everyone was all "Obamacare is horrible! We shouldn't be paying to take care of other people! We can't afford it!"

Now that Obama is talking tighter gun regulation these very same jack-holes are screaming "Don't blame guns! If only we would have taken care of the mentally ill none of this would have happened! That's the problem! We need to care for the menatlly ill instead"

You morons can't have your cake and eat it too.

But here's an alternative idea... Instead of having the NRA waste $$BILIIONS$$ and $$BILLION$$ of dollars on lobbing and law suits. Why don't you guys petition the NRA to set up "school guard volunteers" have the NRA train and certify NRA volunteers that will go to the schools and protect our children??

We always hear about responsible gun owners protecting teh community lets put our money where our mouth is.

This is interesting.

If in acouple months, after this had blown over, if Obama administration comes out with a federally funded bill to build and maintain mental wards (i guess this is the correct term? Idk) in various states, would it get through the GOP controlled house?
__________________
|NCPA: Razorbacks|
rip120
tsbalr120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:21 PM #327
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
If semi-automatics are banned, that would only leave automatic guns to be legal. What you're saying is you'd rather have machine guns legal rather than pistols?
I'm thinking you don't even know what semi-automatic means.
Point where I said semi-automatics should be banned.

Hint: My point was that the Democrats could pass gun regulations without risking negative public opinion in the short run. I never said they should pass gun regulation. In fact, I said they shouldn't.

Your sheer inability to comprehend the simplest of arguments is laughable.
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads

Last edited by TheSilentAssassin : 12-17-2012 at 10:25 PM.
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 PM #328
drgonzo
Half-cocked
 
drgonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaNeo36 View Post
Aside from taking away all firearms, how would any proposed change limit atrocities like Sandy Hook? That's the problem I have with reaction based legislation like gun control after mass shootings. The ideas proposed really don't introduce any hurdles to perpetrators of said events in retrospect.
Obviously, you're not going to see legislation like this as a first move. There needs to be a break from the politics of ignoring the issue first.
__________________
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:01 PM #329
Space Pope
 
 
Space Pope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
The real issue is the lack of awareness and poor treatment of mental health issues, in the case of the infrequent and high profile shootings, and cultural/economic factors coupled with poor education that drive our low income population to criminal behavior and violence. These are the thing that lead to "gun violence". Unless you address them all you are doing is removing a means by which they accomplish their violent acts. The desire/propensity to do harm is still present. The problem still exists.
Space Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 PM #330
marcozombie
 
 
marcozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tejas!
__________________
I am for freedom of religion, & against all maneuvres to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another.]-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry, 1799http://abaddoncomic.com/
marcozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 PM #331
Space Pope
 
 
Space Pope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
The problem exists long before whether or not access to firearms is a consideration...
Space Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 PM #332
Tuff
Supports 2nd Amendment
 
Tuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NH
Tuff is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
If semi-automatics are banned, that would only leave automatic guns to be legal. What you're saying is you'd rather have machine guns legal rather than pistols?
I'm thinking you don't even know what semi-automatic means.
I think the entire graph was questionable. Sad that even a few people think all guns should be banned. Friggin hippies.
__________________
IrishMafia
Proud American
Tuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:20 PM #333
Blake360
 
 
Blake360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Socal
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
Obviously, you're not going to see legislation like this as a first move. There needs to be a break from the politics of ignoring the issue first.
We already have legislation on it, here it is:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:24 PM #334
Lazarusrat
 
 
Lazarusrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateman View Post
1. Independent clauses can stand by themselves. Again, grammar fail.
Very true but in this case they are still one single thought and therefore can not separated without changing the essential meaning of that sentence as the comas used in the 2nd are parenthetical elements to the sentance. Grammer win.

Quote:
2. You're right, however, it's understood that unless otherwise prohibited, the bill of rights applies in all situations. Therefore, I assume that when I go to a mall or someone's house, they're fine with me carrying. I have that right.
Ignorance is no excuse, or defence, in the eyes of the law. Sorry the courts do not support your opinion.

Quote:
3. Armed guards are given training for civil liability purposes. Their carrying privileges do not extend outside of their place of work unless they get dispensation from the government (ie, a concealed carry permit). In DC, a guard is required to transport his/her weapon unloaded in a locked container. Carry laws vary from state to state, but outside of work, they are required to obey them, whatever they may be.
Wow way to pull that strawman out of thin air. Lets try this again...

Quote:
What good does it do to have an armed guard if that guard can not use their weapon without putting innocent by-standards at risk because they have no training or clue how to use their weapon? It seems like the better solution is either require those guards to have training or not let them be armed (which makes being a guard kind of pointless).
If your armed guard is just as, or may-be even more, dangerous to the very peoople they are there to protect because they can not safely use their own firearm, what good does it do to have them there?
__________________
"If you prepare for the zombie apocalypse, you'll be prepared for all hazards," CDC spokesman Dave Daigle told Reuters over the phone on Thursday.
Lazarusrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 PM #335
Lazarusrat
 
 
Lazarusrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozombie View Post
__________________
"If you prepare for the zombie apocalypse, you'll be prepared for all hazards," CDC spokesman Dave Daigle told Reuters over the phone on Thursday.
Lazarusrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:38 PM #336
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
I broke 3 keyboards reading this thread, I hate all of you.
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump