PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-03-2011, 04:01 PM #1
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

has been a member for 10 years
Military Book thread:

Was gonna post this somewhere, then figured why not expand to a larger thread. Post here with good books related to Military, History or Psychology in War.

Books I am reading or have read recently:

WAR

Quote:
Starred Review. War is insanely exciting.... Don't underestimate the power of that revelation, warns bestselling author and Vanity Fair contributing editor Junger (The Perfect Storm). The war in Afghanistan contains brutal trauma but also transcendent purpose in this riveting combat narrative. Junger spent 14 months in 2007–2008 intermittently embedded with a platoon of the 173rd Airborne brigade in Afghanistan's Korengal Valley, one of the bloodiest corners of the conflict. The soldiers are a scruffy, warped lot, with unkempt uniforms—they sometimes do battle in shorts and flip-flops—and a ritual of administering friendly beatings to new arrivals, but Junger finds them to be superlative soldiers. Junger experiences everything they do—nerve-racking patrols, terrifying roadside bombings and ambushes, stultifying weeks in camp when they long for a firefight to relieve the tedium. Despite the stress and the grief when buddies die, the author finds war to be something of an exalted state: soldiers experience an almost sexual thrill in the excitement of a firefight—a response Junger struggles to understand—and a profound sense of commitment to subordinating their self-interests to the good of the unit. Junger mixes visceral combat scenes—raptly aware of his own fear and exhaustion—with quieter reportage and insightful discussions of the physiology, social psychology, and even genetics of soldiering. The result is an unforgettable portrait of men under fire.
On Killing:

Quote:
Drawing on interviews, published personal accounts and academic studies, Grossman investigates the psychology of killing in combat. Stressing that human beings have a powerful, innate resistance to the taking of life, he examines the techniques developed by the military to overcome that aversion. His provocative study focuses in particular on the Vietnam war, revealing how the American soldier was "enabled to kill to a far greater degree than any other soldier in history." Grossman argues that the breakdown of American society, combined with the pervasive violence in the media and interactive video games, is conditioning our children to kill in a manner siimilar to the army's conditioning of soldiers: "We are reaching that stage of desensitization at which the infliction of pain and suffering has become a source of entertainment: vicarious pleasure rather than revulsion. We are learning to kill, and we are learning to like it." Grossman, a professor of military science at Arkansas State University, has written a study of relevance to a society of escalating violence.
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2011, 06:34 PM #2
Peter Man's Bridge

Books I have read:

War

Currently:

Welcome to The National
Peter Man's Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:41 PM #3
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

SniperForce-Duffek plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Man's Bridge View Post

Currently:
I was with Bco 2-2 in Afghanistan.

"May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
G.S.P
SniperForce-Duffek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:10 PM #4
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

House to House was amazing.

Forgot to add: First In. about the cia going into afghanistan 18 or so days after 9/11
Old 06-03-2011, 07:54 PM #5
kapp_badbloodz
CLASSIFIED

kapp_badbloodz supports Cereal Killerz 2
kapp_badbloodz supports our troops
kapp_badbloodz is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
On killing was a great book. Col Grossman also wrote an amazing addition called "On Combat" that is a must read after "On Killing". It supplements really well.

If you're interested in reading a lot into the story about the war in Afghanistan and how the CIA got a foothold and gathered intel and developed sources you must read "Jawbreaker". There is an Afghan source in the book that I actually worked with and got to meet on several occasions on my last tour to Afghanistan. The dude is crazy. He fought the Russains with the Musia and then helped support the Northern Alliance. It is a great read especially if you supported the push in 'stan

Im goin to pick up House to House. That sounds like it would be awesome.

"Originally posted by slateman: Air Force . . . serious business"
MGDT: "Originally posted by Marine786: We had one guy get orders for a deployment while on a deployment."
AFDT:"Originally posted by f2f4: Or maybe he meant our exposed and aerated crotches. Privates. Because lord knows our PT gear only encourages "wardrobe malfunctions.""
kapp_badbloodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 PM #6
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

About someone high up dropping the ball when they were close to getting his ***. SGM Ironhorse is a Gangster.

G.S.P
Old 06-03-2011, 08:16 PM #7
bnctaj

April Morning - Howard Fast -- Fiction
This novel traces the journey from boyhood to manhood of the protagonist. Further, the novel examines many potential aspects of the first battle/shots of the American Revolution.
We Were Soldiers Once... and Young - General Hal Moore -- Nonfiction
The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien -- Fiction
In the Company of Heroes - Michael Durant -- Nonfiction
A story written from the perspective of Durant describing the moments before, after, and during Operation Gothic Serpent. Asides include his service in other operations/outfits (ie. in Seoul, in Desert Storm, in Panama, and as an operator in the Iraq/Iran conflict).
Black Hawk Down - Mark Bowden -- Nonfiction
A good reading for the general "jist" of how Operation Gothic Serpent/Code Irene went down. Some factual errors are disputed by the Operators of Task Force Ranger, but they're overall minor attributes; as always, reading the book (which is more written like a novel) should be done as well. For instance, many of the men of TFR refuted Bowden's assertion that there was an air of distinction between the Delta boys and the Rangers. Other issues I experienced include the assertion that American operators wantonly engaged the civilian populace.
The Battle of Mogadishu: First Hand Accounts From the Men of Task Force Ranger edited by Matt Eversmann and Dan Schilling. -- nonfiction
A good book, combining the story of many Rangers and other elements of Task Force Ranger. This story refutes many of Bowden's more... lucrative assertions and spiraling motions towards yellow journalism.
The Lone Survivor - Marcus Luttrell -- Nonfiction
The book is about the war on terror, and based on the true story of 4 Navy SEALs who were compromised and ambushed by 100-200 Taliban, and only one lived - All were awarded the Navy Cross and one was awarded the Medal of Honor.

Ghost Wars by Stephen Coll -- Nonfiction
Shows the effect that the Central Intelligence Agency has had on Afghanistan since 1979 until 9/11. It tells how Osama bin Laden plays into the show, as well as Iranian and Pakistani intelligence influence. It's a wide spectrum.

The Afghan Campaign by Stephen Pressfield -- Fiction
Follows the story of a Macedonian recruit through his first few bumps - eighteen month rotations - in Afghanistan under Alexander. Shows the influence of Pashtunwali, even back then, and how deeply embedded it is. Meanwhile, the Afghans continually tell the invaders that they will never take hold over Afghanistan and would fight all invaders if they could economically afford to do so. They can't, so many of them fight for the macks and many fight agaisnt them. Meanwhile, in the end, the Macks wind up agreeing with the various warlords that they must all end the war in a way to see themselves as being victorious... and the Macks are granted passage into India... and the central character remains changed into one of the veterans to whom he looked up at the start of his campaign.

Beyond Duty: Life on the Frontline in Iraq by Shannon P. Meehan with Roger Thompson -- Nonfiction
Having served as a Lieutenant in the United States Army for a deployment in 06-07 in Baqubah, Meehan reveals his experiences in Iraq. He details how he led his armor platoon, how his men carried out their mission exactly and perfectly, according to the standard operating procedures. But, for the heroism his men display and for all of their best efforts, life in Iraq in '06-'07 remains life in a war zone. People die; house-based IED's take the lives away from men as they raid into them while missiles called by Meehan snuff the life away from children. The memories of each haunt Meehan, and he tries to convey these memories, as well as many others, to the reader without making a judgment on the war's validity.

The Good Soldiers by David Finkel -- nonfiction
Tells the tale of an Army unit sent to Iraq. In the middle of the surge, with Petraeus and Bush telling the United States that everything is going great across Iraq, this microcosm under the control of LTC Kauzlarich is devastated. To the LTC, it seems that nothing is effective. He starts off with FM 3-24 and winds up abandoning it as he sees a perceived ineffectiveness in his region.
Counterinsurgency in Modern Warfare by Marston and Malkasian -- Nonfiction
Shows various insurgent movements and COIN movements through history. It's pretty good overall view of insurgencies, what has and has not worked. Seems to advocate treating everything as a people problem (population centric). Shows how insurgents can effectively use fear, but the COIN practitioners must use other methods of gaining control.

The Dynamite Club: How a Bombing in Fin-de-siecle France Ignited the Age of Modern Terror by John Merriman -- Nonfiction
Uses the overall movement of (French) anarchism in the late 1800's and specifically Emile Henry. Henry changed tactics by targeting not the police or parliament but the bourgeoisie as a whole. Shows his influences and his own peculiar life that lead to his becoming an anarchist.

I also read First In... and met Gary Schroen.

All stuff I've read, descriptions I think I wrote...

Last edited by bnctaj : 06-03-2011 at 08:46 PM.
bnctaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:22 PM #8
Peter Man's Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperForce-Duffek View Post
I was with Bco 2-2 in Afghanistan.

bad *** man, great read so far

Welcome to The National
Old 06-03-2011, 08:54 PM #9
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

Ordered:
Total $26
Shipping $27

Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan

The Night Stalkers The Night Stalkers

The Mission, The Men, and Me: Lessons from a Former Delta Force Commander The Mission, The Men, and Me: Lessons from a Former Delta Force Commander

In the Company of Heroes In the Company of Heroes

Not a Good Day to Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda

The Outlaws: A Presidential Agent Novel

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10

I'll give a review of everything in a yr and a half from now

G.S.P
Old 06-03-2011, 10:16 PM #10
UNDRPRVLGD_V2
UNDR Industries

Annual Supporting Member
UNDRPRVLGD_V2 plays in the PSP
UNDRPRVLGD_V2 donated to help Peyton Trent
UNDRPRVLGD_V2 supports our troops
UNDRPRVLGD_V2 plays in the APPA D2 division
UNDRPRVLGD_V2 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
UNDRPRVLGD_V2 supports DLX Technology
... and a hard rain fell - great book
UNDRPRVLGD_V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:16 PM #11
Peter Man's Bridge

Power outage here today, so I spent 3 hours reading the climax of House to house. Intense.

Also ordered 3 other books from amazon.

-Outside the Wire: The War in Afghanistan in the Words of Its Participants

-Fifteen Days: Stories of Bravery, Friendship, Life and Death from Inside the New Canadian Army

-Contact Charlie: The Canadian Army, The Taliban and the Battle that Saved Afghanistan

Welcome to The National
Old 06-04-2011, 04:45 PM #12
the other one
World Peace

the other one supports our troops
Oh goodie, we can have a dick-measuring contest.... where the nerds win!

Books I've read:

The Mission, The Men, and Me
Great book. All of you should read it for some leadership lessons.

On Combat
On Killing
Dave Grossman knows his ****.

Good To Go
Seals in Vietnam

Imperial Grunts
Robert Kaplan spends some time with SF and the Marines, and writes about it.

First to Fight
Dry. Only one chapter was entertaining.

One Bullet Away
decent.

Generation Kill
decent.

Lone survivor
Good.

Flags of our Fathers.
Just like the movie, except better.

Sniper and Silent warrior
Both books are about carlos hathcock. good reads.

Art of War/Sun Tzu.

It's Your Ship
by Captain Abrashoff. Great book on leadership - will depress you when you compare it to your command.

Delta Force
Meh.

Inside Delta Force.
decent.

Kill Bin Laden.
decent.

How to break a terrorist.
decent.

Taliban.
dry at times, but a good history lesson.

Afghanistan 101
Dry but decent.

The village.
Bing West writes some decent stuff.

The changing face of war
good only for a history lesson. dry.

The war of ideas.
Decent.

Gates of fire
Great book.

Passion of Command
Great little book.

The Prince
terrible book, but should be read.

...and there's more, but I'm just looking at my bookshelf right now, and only listing the military books I've read.

I blog.
the other one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:09 PM #13
EPAPressure
Jobs are for immigrants

-Said nobody, ever.

"Originally posted by drgonzo: That doesn't make sense, the people with the most interaction and dependence on government have the most significant stakes and should have the vote if anyone. People who reject government and do not use government services should be denied the vote if anything." ^^FAIL

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: When I think geocities I think ****ty tiled background and sparkly titles. Think of a minority's myspace page."
EPAPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:35 AM #14
jonmcfatty

i just finished "inside Delta Force" by Eric Haney and I thought it was pretty entertaining... i didn't feel like i was reading a book haha
jonmcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:03 PM #15
rammstein_5v2
Idontfeelanditfeelsgreat

Hill 488 is badass

Fallen angels, fiction, but a good read.

How consistent
How can someone so consistently mess up as much as
Every instance
How can someone inconsistent mess up so consistently
rammstein_5v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:17 PM #16
DeadBodyMan
Pricedollaz

Annual Supporting Member
DeadBodyMan is a Paintball photographer
Just got done reading Fighter Pilot - Great book

I beat women, they call me daddy.
DeadBodyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:08 PM #17
Team_Arsenal
Captain America

Read it a long time ago, from what I can remember it was badass. Wish I could find my copy.
*Throws stapler* "
"Originally posted by i h8 hippies
everyone was trying to imitate the stomping"
Team_Arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:48 PM #18
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Arsenal View Post

Read it a long time ago, from what I can remember it was badass. Wish I could find my copy.
http://www.amazon.com/Apache-Sunrise.../dp/0804110697

$400.00 brand new

G.S.P
Old 06-06-2011, 12:59 AM #19
UNDRPRVLGD_V2
UNDR Industries

Annual Supporting Member
UNDRPRVLGD_V2 plays in the PSP
UNDRPRVLGD_V2 donated to help Peyton Trent
UNDRPRVLGD_V2 supports our troops