Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 02:21 AM #1
drgonzo
Half-cocked
 
drgonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Republicans give the disabled the finger

Well of course no one else is going to bring this up but it really bears discussing, as it really crystallizes the problems with allowing a faction of our government made up of people with no grasp on reality to have impact upon what the country does:

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Led by Republican opposition, the Senate on Tuesday rejected a United Nations treaty on the rights of the disabled that is modeled after the landmark Americans with Disabilities Act.

With 38 Republicans casting "no" votes, the 61-38 vote fell five short of the two-thirds majority needed to ratify a treaty. The vote took place in an unusually solemn atmosphere, with senators sitting at their desks rather than milling around the podium. Former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, looking frail and in a wheelchair, was in the chamber to support the treaty.

The treaty, already signed by 155 nations and ratified by 126 countries, including Britain, France, Germany, China and Russia, states that nations should strive to assure that the disabled enjoy the same rights and fundamental freedoms as their fellow citizens.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2012/1...#ixzz2ELr8F013
I honestly am just physically disgusted by this. Seriously this is a 100-0 vote all day, every day, every time, for rational human beings with even an average level of compassion. This treaty has every single angle wrapped up in a bow -- this is American exceptionalism of the best kind, world leadership on the highest ideals, the language is literally based on our own laws. WE CAME UP WITH THE IDEA! It's completely bipartisan, negotiated by Bush, signed by Obama. It's advisory so it doesn't infringe on our sovereignty at all.

And still! Enough Republicans voted against it to sink it! And conservative heads lied straight to the public's face out of their filthy pieholes about it, nonstop. People actually got convinced that this would somehow end their right to homeschool their kids! (I'm sorry, but that's an indictment of homeschooling ... the teachers seem to be imbeciles too often, but they have bulletproof tenure and there's no way to get them replaced.)

This just shows how much the Republican party has lost its grip, just how savage and inhumane they have become in blind subservience to ideology. It honestly makes me afraid for the future of the human race that these people can have so much influence in the most powerful nation on earth. Does this not concern you?
__________________
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices

Last edited by drgonzo : 12-07-2012 at 02:35 AM.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2012, 02:33 AM #2
Blake360
 
 
Blake360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Socal
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
Does this not concern you?
It will concern me as soon as the government having the power to indefinitely detain people concerns you. So probably never.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 AM #3
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
So why did they vote "No" ? I hadn't heard anything about homeschooling, whereas I feel the government shouldn't be able to tell me I have to put my children in an institution.
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts

Last edited by barrel roll : 12-07-2012 at 07:56 AM.
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:41 AM #4
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure
 
StellarKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Lost...In a Lost World
StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
"I do not support the cumbersome regulations and potentially overzealous international organizations with anti-American biases that infringe upon American society," said Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla.
You know, I could probably stomach the argument that Inhofe voted against the treaty because he felt that it would infringe on other sovereign nation's right to govern themselves. But this comment makes it seem as though he didn't even glance at the treaty in question.

Since we're on the topic of general GOP dip****tary: Mitch McConnell filibusters himself.
__________________
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
StellarKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 AM #5
drgonzo
Half-cocked
 
drgonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
So why did they vote "No" ?
"Because sovereignty" is pretty much the reasoning they used. Not joking.
__________________
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 AM #6
marcozombie
 
 
marcozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tejas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll
So why did they vote "No" ? I hadn't heard anything about homeschooling, whereas I feel the government shouldn't be able to tell me I have to put my children in an institution.
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/pol...oler041571.php




http://thehill.com/blogs/global-affa...ail-in-senate-




http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/2012/201212030.asp
__________________
I am for freedom of religion, & against all maneuvres to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another.]-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry, 1799http://abaddoncomic.com/

Last edited by marcozombie : 12-07-2012 at 08:15 AM.
marcozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 AM #7
F1VENOM
 
 
F1VENOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
We're not part of the CTBT or FMCT though most of the world is, this isn't uncommon.
__________________
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 AM #8
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
If we already have laws reflecting this... why do we need to sign a treaty?
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 AM #9
F1VENOM
 
 
F1VENOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
If we already have laws reflecting this... why do we need to sign a treaty?
Without our support, the world will crumble.
__________________
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:17 AM #10
marcozombie
 
 
marcozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tejas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll
If we already have laws reflecting this... why do we need to sign a treaty?
So maybe the rights of our disabled citizens can be recognized in other nations? Bad thing? I think it's a good thing to do and a tasty way to do it.
__________________
I am for freedom of religion, & against all maneuvres to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another.]-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry, 1799http://abaddoncomic.com/

Last edited by marcozombie : 12-07-2012 at 08:20 AM.
marcozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 AM #11
F1VENOM
 
 
F1VENOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozombie View Post
So maybe the rights of our disabled citizens can be recognized in other nations? Bad thing?
What expansion of rights and protections can be found that weren't previously in place?
__________________
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 AM #12
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary
 
benji25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities
benji25 is a Moderator
benji25 is BST Trusted
benji25 donated to help Peyton Trent
benji25 is playing at Living Legends V
benji25 posts videos on PbNation
benji25 supports our troops
benji25 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
They said that since the 1970s the Senate had voted to approve treaties 19 times during lame-duck sessions.

But in September, 36 Republican senators signed a letter saying they would not vote for any treaty during the lame duck,

The opposition was led by tea party favorite Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, who argued that the treaty by its very nature threatened U.S. sovereignty. Specifically he expressed concerns that the treaty could lead to the state, rather than parents, determining what was in the best interest of disabled children in such areas as home schooling, and that language in the treaty guaranteeing the disabled equal rights to reproductive health care could lead to abortions. Parents, Lee said, will "raise their children with the constant looming threat of state interference."
I will be the first to admit I have not read the treaty but I would assume it is not as cut and dry as we think. There probably are some legitimate concerns about these issues. I am not saying it warrants a "No" vote but to make a blanket comment that this should be accepted by 100% and is a perfect treaty seems a little excessive.

Also, 36 republicans signed a document saying they would not vote for any treaty during this time. 38 voted no. I mean, if they tell you they are not going to vote for something they probably will stick to their word, especially if they sign something saying so.
benji25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:34 AM #13
drgonzo
Half-cocked
 
drgonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
If we already have laws reflecting this... why do we need to sign a treaty?
On the face of things, because we wrote it, and it's based on our laws. But the whole point is, this is advisory. It can't change our laws anyway, so that is not a consideration for or against signing.

Rather, since our laws are the basis for the treaty, not signing is a nonsense move based only on ideological zeal. It is embarrassing, but also insulting to other countries who we seek to advise. Not signing means we have our heads up our ***** and can't even do the obviously right thing because of the number of idiots in our midst.

As a practical matter, the raising of standards for the disabled can potentially benefit our disabled citizens traveling or living abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji25 View Post
I will be the first to admit I have not read the treaty but I would assume it is not as cut and dry as we think. There probably are some legitimate concerns about these issues. I am not saying it warrants a "No" vote but to make a blanket comment that this should be accepted by 100% and is a perfect treaty seems a little excessive.
It is that cut and dried. This treaty is advisory and has no ability to change US laws or force the US to do anything. There are no legitimate concerns. This is not the first time Republicans have done stupid **** over concerns that were not legitimate, they are serial offenders. So they not only don't they deserve the benefit of the doubt, they actually deserve assumption that they are doing it again. Because they are.

I said I wasn't kidding that their reasoning was "Because sovereignty" and I wasn't.
__________________
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices

Last edited by drgonzo : 12-07-2012 at 08:42 AM.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:36 AM #14
F1VENOM
 
 
F1VENOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
Rather, since our laws are the basis for the treaty, not signing is a nonsense move based only on ideological zeal. It is embarrassing, but also insulting to other countries who we seek to advise. Not signing means we have our heads up our ***** and can't even do the obviously right thing because of the number of idiots in our midst.
This happens and has happened daily since the formation of the UN. Why post about it now?
__________________
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:39 AM #15
marcozombie
 
 
marcozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tejas!
http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/...-schooling-def
__________________
I am for freedom of religion, & against all maneuvres to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another.]-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry, 1799http://abaddoncomic.com/
marcozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 AM #16
drgonzo
Half-cocked
 
drgonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
This happens and has happened daily since the formation of the UN. Why post about it now?
What? Don't know what that's all about, but that has no basis in reality.
__________________
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 AM #17
F1VENOM
 
 
F1VENOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
What? Don't know what that's all about, but that has no basis in reality.
What? You must not follow the UN closely if you think my statement isn't based in reality.
__________________
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:43 AM #18
drgonzo
Half-cocked
 
drgonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
What? You must not follow the UN closely if you think my statement isn't based in reality.
Okay uh, give examples for the past month. We don't even vote on a treaty every day so I have no idea what the hell you are thinking about.
__________________
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 AM #19
marcozombie
 
 
marcozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tejas!
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conten...-treaty-senate
__________________
I am for freedom of religion, & against all maneuvres to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another.]-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry, 1799http://abaddoncomic.com/
marcozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:49 AM #20
Animal_Mother (Banned)
Kill 'em All
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Danger Close
This treaty was a waste of time and I'm glad it didn't go through. The vast majority of disabled people in this country are properly taken care of, along with the vast majority of disabled people in countries that someone would want to study abroad in. As far as the UN goes, they can **** themselves and I want my country to have nothing to do with such a haphazard and *** backwards organization.
Animal_Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 AM #21
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary
 
benji25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities
benji25 is a Moderator
benji25 is BST Trusted
benji25 donated to help Peyton Trent
benji25 is playing at Living Legends V
benji25 posts videos on PbNation
benji25 supports our troops
benji25 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
But the whole point is, this is advisory. It can't change our laws anyway, so that is not a consideration for or against signing.

It is that cut and dried. This treaty is advisory and has no ability to change US laws or force the US to do anything. There are no legitimate concerns.
You realize we are not the only country on the planet right? Just because it won't change our laws does not mean it won't effect how developing countries govern. The fact that you are saying "it doesn't effect us, but effects other countries" and are using that as your argument makes it seem like you are trying to impose our ideals on other countries just because they our ideals.

I hate to break it to you but we don't do everything right. Would I vote for the treaty? Probably. But to make it seem like this treaty is in the best interest for other countries just because "America did it" is a very conceited worldview.
benji25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump