Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM #1
empirebrah

How do i start a shop/company?

A few friends and I have been playing paintball for a very long time since we were 13. We are growing up and we need money to continue playing the sport. We decided if we are going to make money we should do it with something we love. any good ideas/suggestions on starting a shop or a company?
empirebrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 PM #2
mikeyy13

mikeyy13 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
mikeyy13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mikeyy13 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mikeyy13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
mikeyy13 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by empirebrah
A few friends and I have been playing paintball for a very long time since we were 13. We are growing up and we need money to continue playing the sport. We decided if we are going to make money we should do it with something we love. any good ideas/suggestions on starting a shop or a company?
Pm me
Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 PM #3
moxiepaintball

moxiepaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
Here is my suggestion: FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO MAKE MONEY! I have been in paintball for over 5 years and here is why I have decided to get out. I have noticed the numbers have been dropping not just in players and participation, but also prices.
For example ItemA in 2006 retailed for $99 and had a 30% margin. Also remember 2006ish was the height of paintball, it was booming. Then in 2011 ItemA retailed for $35 with the same 30% margin.

The numbers:
2006 There were more players and I profited $30 for each of ItemA I sold.
2011(to present) Less players and now ItemA profits a whopping $10. Yipee!!

So now I need to find 3 times the people to buy ItemA in a shrinking pool of player/customers to make the same money that I did in 2006 off ItemA. Also let me add that ItemA is a barrel and has only one competitor which was already priced higher than ItemA, but for some reason the manufacturer of ItemA thought it would be a good idea to blow the bottom out.

Here is another scenario that has been playing out in paintball for a while, the "Sponsorship" (that does not go thru the store), and is also self destructive. Recently I had communication with a new marker manufacturer that was wanting me to carry their new marker, it was an over $1000 marker, which means it would sit on the shelf forever. They were telling me that they were going to give dealers an awesome margin, so my ears perked up. I was almost ready to pull the trigger until I found out that there was a regional team that was being "sponsored" by said company and one of the players told me the price he paid for the marker. Lo and behold the price was lower than my price. Needless to say I didn't purchase any.

So find something else to make money, unless you want to get involved in an industry with shrinking participation, sucky margins, dropping prices, and manufacturers who are self destructive.