Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-10-2012, 07:41 PM #1
PhillGuy

PhillGuy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PhillGuy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Help picking marker for wife

First time poster, long time lurker.

Anyway I any have trouble deciding on what marker to get my wife.

I want to get her something light weight and she desires something of a "sniper gun". I think something that is quit accurate and not necessarily has a high rate of fire.

Price isn't much of a problem although I don't want to get too crazy as I still need the gear to go with it.

At first I was thinking of a Proto Rail but they seem to have reliability issues.

Then a BT TM-7 as they seem quite light weight. Now I am thinking a BT-4 Delta Elite to cover the sniping role.

Any Thoughts.
PhillGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM #3
Team Misfit
Blue Thunder

Team Misfit is playing at Living Legends VII
Team Misfit owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Team Misfit supports Pev's Paintball
Team Misfit is attending Decay of Nations VI
Team Misfit supports DLX Technology
What will you be playing? Woodsball or Speedball

from that I can give you a pretty nice selection

anything from 200-900
56/45 Empire Ultra Light Tank
Indianapolis Mutiny New England Hurricane Portland Uprising
Dorito Player | Blue Thunder
Team Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 PM #4
PhillGuy

Austin Ego Taylor: I was hoping to not get a firststrike gun as some fields around here make you buy the paint there. As far as the Dye Assault Matrix, although I have considered it it seems like a lot to spend on a first gun. I myself have a Phenom and would be quite jealous. Also It seems like it might be quite heavy.

Team Misfit: Mostly Woodsball.

Last edited by PhillGuy : 12-10-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 PM #5
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
You could always try a pump marker. Very light. If not, I'd go with a BT TM-7 with a RipClip. Very solid gun.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 PM #6
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports DLX Technology
Tippmann 98
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:08 PM #7
ShoopDaWhoop900
Go Noles!

ShoopDaWhoop900 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe13 View Post
You could always try a pump marker.
This is one of the best suggestions for a sniper like gun. I have a pump and an electro. My pump was a pretty cheap one, and its still more accurate than my electro. That being said all guns have the same potential for accuracy. The biggest consideration for this is how good that paint you are using is. I have used cheap paint and couldnt hit a kid from 30 feet away, i used some high end and was hitting what i aimed for every time. Another thing you can do is get a barrel kit such as the Freak for better sizing of paint. Other than that like i said before all markers have the same potential for high accuracy
Old 12-11-2012, 01:40 AM #8
liverlip

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
It isn't easy finding a light "sniper style" marker. Check out the new Spyder MR5 and MR5-E. They are reasonably priced and can fire .68cal (hopper or clip) and FS rounds. Also check out the Proton. Great marker for around $300. It is super light and has an on/off switch which, in my opinion, is great for beginners.

][nvert User IS A THIEF
liverlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 AM #9
Austin Ego Taylor

On my personal experiences with the dam I have shot it and can say nothing bad about it, it is a very solid marker, but if your looking for a solid cheap pump check this out, it's about 200 for the package deal and is one of the best cheap pumps out there http://www.ansgear.com/Empire_Trrace...packagekit.htm
Austin Ego Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 AM #10
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

Quiet is more than likely going to put you in spool territory or a mini, maybe even a marq. My suggestion is to look for a used marq and put however ridiculously long barrel you want on it for the "sniper" effect.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:24 AM #11
Shooter28
PEACE

Shooter28 plays in the PSP
Shooter28 plays in the APPA D3 division
Shooter28 supports DLX Technology
Shooter28 supports Empire
I'd recommend a mini as well. Great performance, cheap, light, easy to obtain parts..
ΞΞ

R.I.P. Rob Kerr 2/1/91 - 3/15/10 & {HSP}
Gun Sale Thread | SHOCKER PARTS!!! | My gun collection | D00M.
Shooter28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:19 AM #12
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Ego Taylor
On my personal experiences with the dam I have shot it and can say nothing bad about it, it is a very solid marker, but if your looking for a solid cheap pump check this out, it's about 200 for the package deal and is one of the best cheap pumps out there http://www.ansgear.com/Empire_Trrace...packagekit.htm
Trracers are awesome. You can fire First Strikes from them if you want to, it comes with an autotrigger, and with the Picitanny rails you can install bipods, scopes, whatever she wants to feel like a sniper. They're also very quiet, and light.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 AM #13
DTMsurf
S.D. CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverlip View Post
It isn't easy finding a light "sniper style" marker. Check out the new Spyder MR5 and MR5-E. They are reasonably priced and can fire .68cal (hopper or clip) and FS rounds. Also check out the Proton. Great marker for around $300. It is super light and has an on/off switch which, in my opinion, is great for beginners.
This is a good marker to check out. My wife has played with both the proton and the mini. She likes that she always knows when the proton is on and off and doesnt have to cup her hand over the tiny little light to see if its on like the mini. They are both small and light but the proton is a bit lighter and thinner. So far I have nothing bad to say about the proton

OK, lets be realistic about wanting a "sniper" set up. We all know that when your playing on a field the idea of hiding somewhere far back and sniping people rarely happens. I think once she starts playing she will appreciate something small and light that is easy for her to operate,but yeah if money is no object and you want to feel like seal team 6 get a DAM. I played some rec ball with 4 guys shooting DAMs this weekend and those guys were having a blast with them, just not my cup of tea.

Last edited by DTMsurf : 12-11-2012 at 08:35 AM.
DTMsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 AM #14
Zethis
NJ & NY

Zethis has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zethis has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Every marker is accurate as long as you can achieve velocity consistency.

Velocity consistency comes from using a HPA tank with a quality regulator, having a quality inline regulator on the marker itself, and using premium paintballs with no defects/dimples. And for the love of god, do not get a rifled barrel. Paintballs are not bullets.

If she has small hands, I'd recommend an invert mini, otherwise an empire axe. They're both not that expensive and have most of the features of the $1k+ guns. Ninja HPA tank. Halo too, dye rotor, z2, or virtue spire loaders. Spend the rest on geting premium paint.
Zethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:35 PM #15
PhillGuy

Wow, this has given me a lot to think about. I have never considered a pump gun.

Unfortunately, I think this still leaves me in the same spot. Lots of ideas, but nothing firm. I think I'll let her try my Phenom with a Flatline and see how it goes.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 PM #16
DTMsurf
S.D. CA

You might want to check out the Tippmann Crossover. I considered it for my wife because it has the ability to switch from electro to mechanical while playing. I figured if the battery or something went down during a game the wife could just switch it and keep playing instead of getting frustrated and of course taking it out on me (it would be my fault somehow :-p)
Old 12-11-2012, 02:08 PM #17
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMsurf
You might want to check out the Tippmann Crossover. I considered it for my wife because it has the ability to switch from electro to mechanical while playing. I figured if the battery or something went down during a game the wife could just switch it and keep playing instead of getting frustrated and of course taking it out on me (it would be my fault somehow :-p)
Phenom has that ability too, and is better suited for the woods than the Crossover IMHO.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:08 PM #18
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

ill +1 on the traccer idea. solid pumps that wont break the bank. it might be worth waiting to see if ansgear or paintballgateway.com have good christmas sales on them. last year they pretty much gave away a free pair of e-vents with a traccer, which was still nearly a $90 mask. (and they're very nice if she doesnt have a decent mask yet). personally, i love my trilogy tactical for roles like this. fairly light, quiet, runs on either co2 or compressed air no problem, and doesnt have all the timing issues normal autocockers do.

other info about "sniper" setups. theres really no such thing as a "sniper" in paintball. each gun is going to shoot the same distance and about the same accuracy as the next one. the tactics do still apply if thats what she was thinking about. being patient, choosing shots carefully, etc.

other useful info:

a 20" barrel isnt more accurate than a 14" one, nor will it make it shoot farther. biggest improvement to accuracy will be the quality of paint you buy. its not gonna fly very straight if its dimpled and egg shaped.

you probably already know about the flatline or apex being the only way to add range, seeing as your phenom already has one. they do it by adding backspin to the ball, thus why other "normal" barrels dont add range.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 PM #19
Hey there bro
www.DMBpaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
Hey there bro is BST Legit
Hey there bro owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Hey there bro owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
i love my mini, i suggest it
Hey there bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:37 AM #20
PhillGuy

Great.

How do we feel about carbon fiber barrels, and can they take the load of a bi pod.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 PM #21
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
I'll be another voice for an Empire Trracer. They're great little guns, very consistent, which is what you want for accuracy. The body has a rail on it, and the pump handle has rails top and bottom, so you can add plenty of accessories with ease. The gun is very lightweight, too.

As for carbon fiber barrels, they're strong enough, but there's the question of mounting a bipod to the barrel directly. That's going to be difficult. I've found that most often, I'm not in any one place long enough to really set up on a bipod... and if I am, the action has moved away from where I am.

If it helps at all, here's my Trracer.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote