Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 PM #64
Dynamopbers

has been a member for 10 years
You guys know way too much hokus pokus on this mumbo jumbo.
Dynamopbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 PM #65
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
Where was the substance in your pal's first replies to me in the thread when I wasn't even addressing him? There you go again - critiquing those you identify as "right" and ignoring those you identify as "left".
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...0#post77404260
Substance is right there. Funny thing is, you left out the substance of his post in your quotation of him to reply to. Selective reading at its finest.

Quote:
"What's with the Seattle jabs.....looking to flame/troll"

See previous comments with your pal here.
This tells me nothing. What am I supposed to be seeing?

Quote:
The double standards are strong here. I'm not expecting you to scold him on the board, just pointing it out.
TSA has been harassed by Blake for a long time and we all know how much of a nuisance Blake can be. It's to the point that the general populace of this subforum has grown exhausted of his idiocy. Though TSA may not have contributed much in this thread lately, he does contribute a lot in most of the threads he's involved in. I've known the guy for years, starting from ST:R/P, when I was quite a dick to the guy, but he's deserved the position of a respectful poster and I have no quarrels with the guy.

Understand, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having bias. You and I both know TSA is rather liberal, but he's justifiably so; he defends his positions and asks actual questions to try and understand perspectives.

Quote:
And I'm not doing the exact same thing Blake did. I simply posted a picture which received a worthless set of replies from identified liberals. I still stand by it too. You could move the Fox one slightly more to the right if you wanted, but it's not nearly as far to the right as the MSNBC one is to the left. Say what you will about Fox, but when one branch of the media is so heavily scrutinized, it's easy to find "flaws" in them.
You are doing what Blake did. You're defending the misinformation of Fox News by countering with bias in the media. Bias =/= misinformation or distortion of facts. It holds literally zero grounds for being a counterargument because it's irrelevant.

Quote:
Here's an example. Liberals actually flamed Fox for getting the Healthcare mandate ruling wrong, because they messed up and CNN apparently received more flak for messing up. The kicker was, Fox corrected the error far more quickly, whereas CNN actually updated their entire webpage to reflect that it was struck down. This isn't a right/left issue, but merely Fox fixing a wrong faster. So are they more efficient than CNN? Candy Crowley surely isn't. I guess everyone on Fox sucks because of Sean Hannity. MSNBC is swell and Chris Matthews is legit.

Right?
Now this is some substance that holds relative weight. Media outlets to make mistakes and sometimes they seem to intentionally shun certain information or take their time to change their errors. Until I see evidence to show otherwise, I still have yet to see these falsities occur as often as they do on the Fox News network. But, I'm open for discussion and revealing information to show otherwise. If you're able to supply ample evidence, maybe you can help change the common perception.

Yes, MSNBC is known for being the furthest left-leaning. This doesn't mean anything though.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 PM #66
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
This tells me nothing. What am I supposed to be seeing?
He means this exchange that he ignored my response to:

Quote:
stay ignorant & stay on the west coast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
I live in Kentucky not the west coast. I was born in Dallas and spent a large portion of my life in rural Wisconsin. I have never lived west of Texas. Nice try, though.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:22 PM #67
Tuff
Supports 2nd Amendment

Tuff is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
Substance is right there. Funny thing is, you left out the substance of his post in your quotation of him to reply to. Selective reading at its finest.

When he failed to discuss it and just tossed down a link, I took it as lacking substance. For all I know, he googled it, posted it, and didn't even read it.

Quote:
TSA has been harassed by Blake for a long time and we all know how much of a nuisance Blake can be. It's to the point that the general populace of this subforum has grown exhausted of his idiocy. Though TSA may not have contributed much in this thread lately, he does contribute a lot in most of the threads he's involved in.
I have no love/hate for Blake, and do not believe I have discussed more than one topic with him, if even one. I am aware him and Blake dislike one another. I have seen TSA contribute more, but I have seen him blindly just shovel **** on Fox with little reasoning numerous times. A lot of people do, and often times do so not knowing what supposed bias that even exists, because their opinions are formed by random liberal web pages they liked on Facebook that they see on their newsfeed, Somethingawful.com, or the Giantbomb gamer site bombcast or some random **** and never checked into the actual issue itself for themselves. Thus, my issue.

Quote:
I've known the guy for years, starting from ST:R/P, when I was quite a dick to the guy, but he's deserved the position of a respectful poster and I have no quarrels with the guy.
I saw someone post he lives in Seattle. If not, then fine I stand corrected. I believe it was Blake actually that said you guys share an apartment now that I think about it.

Quote:
Understand, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having bias.
Completely disagree. People have bias, but I wish it would be heavily minimized and people would try to take issues on an individual basis and not try to force their points of view to fit with the political party that has more views they agree with than the other party, and adopt all of their points of view so they can "fit in" more appropriately. The Supreme Court of all people should be doing this. The Constitution should not be interpreted based on "what my political leanings say I should vote" but rather "yes or no" instead.

Bias/party affiliation is what keeps Congress both very divided and very unproductive.

Quote:
You are doing what Blake did.
Quote:
Now this is some substance that holds relative weight.
If I posted anything of substance, then I'm not doing exactly what Blake does, right?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:35 PM #68
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:

When he failed to discuss it and just tossed down a link, I took it as lacking substance. For all I know, he googled it, posted it, and didn't even read it.

I have no love/hate for Blake, and do not believe I have discussed more than one topic with him, if even one. I am aware him and Blake dislike one another. I have seen TSA contribute more, but I have seen him blindly just shovel **** on Fox with little reasoning numerous times. A lot of people do, and often times do so not knowing what supposed bias that even exists, because their opinions are formed by random liberal web pages they liked on Facebook that they see on their newsfeed, Somethingawful.com, or the Giantbomb gamer site bombcast or some random **** and never checked into the actual issue itself for themselves. Thus, my issue.

I saw someone post he lives in Seattle. If not, then fine I stand corrected. I believe it was Blake actually that said you guys share an apartment now that I think about it.

Completely disagree. People have bias, but I wish it would be heavily minimized and people would try to take issues on an individual basis and not try to force their points of view to fit with the political party that has more views they agree with than the other party, and adopt all of their points of view so they can "fit in" more appropriately. The Supreme Court of all people should be doing this. The Constitution should not be interpreted based on "what my political leanings say I should vote" but rather "yes or no" instead.

Bias/party affiliation is what keeps Congress both very divided and very unproductive.

If I posted anything of substance, then I'm not doing exactly what Blake does, right?
The constitution and everything within it is written from a point of bias. Please understand this. Before oppositing political parties came into being, there was bias in Congress. The Federalist v. Anti-Federalist arguments were from opposing biases. A government cannot operate without some agreement of first principles regarding the nature of reality. This is inherently biased, right to the foundations of the thing. The moment you interpret ANY data, you introduce bias.

Unbiased "raw" data:
Susan crashed her vehicle into a center divider tuesday, sending her body flying out the window and onto the pavement.

Biased Interpretation:
Another teen is killed in a fatal accident after driving her car into a center divider last tuesday. Harsher government rregulation must be placed on driving preparation courses to ensure such fatalities are minimized.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 12-07-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 PM #69
licence2kill
POOP

lol
licence2kill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 PM #70
Tuff
Supports 2nd Amendment

Tuff is a founding member
Quote:
The constitution and everything within it is written from a point of bias. Please understand this.
Not quite the same thing. Washington expressed displeasure with political parties in his farewell address. Is this some type of attempt to give the liberal media a pass, but make it perfectly OK to keep ****ting on Fox News? If so, I'm not buying it. It's amazing how this went from "Let's bash Fox" to "Let's discuss media bias, and somehow try to distort reality into that Fox bashing is fine, but bashing the liberal media is not cool."

There is nothing wrong with wanting people to be more honest. People up here, elsewhere, would appreciate more honesty and less lying from the media. That doesn't happen as long as their are divided sides, and as long as people keep taking sides and remain dishonest themselves, then there will be a left and right media to cater to those ****ing idiots who allow themselves to defend such bias.

Hey look Carl, I can do that too. What a dumb race baiting ***** you are.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:01 PM #71
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Lolz
Old 12-09-2012, 10:03 PM #72
F1VENOM

Food for thought.

Quote:
Intelligence Institute Study shows Fox News viewers have an IQ that is 20 points lower than the U.S. National average.
PRWeb – Tue, Dec 4, 2012

Study shows that the Americans who watch Fox News have an average IQ of 80, whereas the national average is 100. Researchers were not "shocked" by findings.

Birmingham, Alabama (PRWEB) December 04, 2012
The results of a 4 year study show that Americans who obtain their news from Fox News channel have an average IQ of 80, which represents a 20 point deficit when compared to the U.S. national average of 100. IQ, or intelligence quotient, is the international standard of assessing intelligence.
Researchers at The Intelligence Institute, a conservative non-profit group, tested 5,000 people using a series of tests that measure everything from cognitive aptitude to common sense and found that people who identified themselves as Fox News viewers and 'conservative' had, on average, significantly lower intelligent quotients. Fox Viewers represented 2,650 members of the test group.
One test involved showing subjects a series of images and measuring their vitals, namely pulse rate and blood pressure. The self-identified conservatives' vitals increased over 35% when shown complex or shocking images. The image that caused the most stress was a poorly edited picture of President Obama standing next to a "ghostly" image of a child holding a tarantula.
Test subjects who received their news from other outlets or reported they do not watch the news scored an average IQ of 104, compared to 80 for Fox News viewers.
Lead researcher, P. Nichols, explains, "Less intelligent animals rely on instinct when confronted by something which they do not understand. This is an ancient survival reaction all animals, including humans, exhibit. It's a very simple phenomenon, really; think about a dog being afraid of a vacuum cleaner. He doesn't know what a vacuum is or if it may harm him, so he becomes agitated and barks at it. Less intelligent humans do the same thing. Concepts that are too complex for them to understand, may frighten or anger them."
He continues, "Fox News' content is presented at an elementary school level and plays directly into the fears of the less educated and less intelligent."
The researchers said that an IQ of 80 is well above the score of 70, which is where psychiatrists diagnose mental retardation. P. Nichols says an IQ of 80 will not limit anyone's ability to lead happy, fulfilling lives.
The study did not conclude if Fox News contributed to lowering IQ or if it attracts less intelligent humans.
P. Nichols concludes that he wasn't shocked by the studies' results, rather how dramatic their range. "Several previous studies show that self-identified conservatives are less intelligent than self-identified moderates. We have never seen such a homogeneous group teetering so close to special needs levels."
http://news.yahoo.com/intelligence-i...034622242.html

Quote:
Study Finds Fox News Viewers Least Informed Of All Viewers
Posted: 05/23/2012 8:32 am Updated: 05/24/2012 11:23 am

Researchers at Fairleigh Dickinson University updated a study they had conducted in late 2011. That study only sampled respondents from New Jersey, where the university is located. This time, the researchers conducted a nationwide poll.

The poll asked questions about international news (Iran, Egypt, Syria and Greece were included) and domestic affairs (Republican primaries, Congress, unemployment and the Keystone XL pipeline.)

The pollsters found that people were usually able to answer 1.8 out of 4 questions on foreign news, and 1.6 of 5 questions on domestic news, and that people who don't watch any news were able to get 1.22 of the questions on domestic policy right.

As the study explained, though, people who watched only Fox News fared worse:

The largest effect is that of Fox News: all else being equal, someone who watched only Fox News would be expected to answer just 1.04 domestic questions correctly -- a figure which is significantly worse than if they had reported watching no media at all. On the other hand, if they listened only to NPR, they would be expected to answer 1.51 questions correctly; viewers of Sunday morning talk shows fare similarly well. And people watching only "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" could answer about 1.42 questions correctly.
Other networks also did badly in some sections; MSNBC viewers and Fox News viewers both fared worse in answering international questions than people who watched no news.

People who only listened to NPR or watched Sunday morning talk shows or "The Daily Show" did the best in the study.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1538914.html
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:18 PM #73
Iamamartianchurch

The national average is 100? That's depressing.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 PM #74
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
The rest of the world, aside from China, is no better off.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 12-10-2012, 12:19 AM #75
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Lead researcher, P. Nichols, explains, "Less intelligent animals rely on instinct when confronted by something which they do not understand. This is an ancient survival reaction all animals, including humans, exhibit. It's a very simple phenomenon, really; think about a dog being afraid of a vacuum cleaner. He doesn't know what a vacuum is or if it may harm him, so he becomes agitated and barks at it. Less intelligent humans do the same thing. Concepts that are too complex for them to understand, may frighten or anger them." He continues, "Fox News' content is presented at an elementary school level and plays directly into the fears of the less educated and less intelligent."

Wow. Calling **** out.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:43 AM #76
drgonzo
Half-cocked

That PRWeb thing is highly suspect. Note that PRWeb is not really a news source and the sources cited don't exist.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:57 AM #77
licence2kill
POOP

Quote:

embrace the GOP's entrenched racism

EMBRACE IT
licence2kill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 AM #78
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
That's how it's supposed to be.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 AM #79
Snake13
Escaped Rakkasan

Snake13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Not quite the same thing. Washington expressed displeasure with political parties in his farewell address. Is this some type of attempt to give the liberal media a pass, but make it perfectly OK to keep ****ting on Fox News? If so, I'm not buying it. It's amazing how this went from "Let's bash Fox" to "Let's discuss media bias, and somehow try to distort reality into that Fox bashing is fine, but bashing the liberal media is not cool."

There is nothing wrong with wanting people to be more honest. People up here, elsewhere, would appreciate more honesty and less lying from the media. That doesn't happen as long as their are divided sides, and as long as people keep taking sides and remain dishonest themselves, then there will be a left and right media to cater to those ****ing idiots who allow themselves to defend such bias.

You're missing the point, this thread isn't about bias, no one here is talking about bias. Bias is unintentional and unavoidable, the point of view and pre-conceived notions of a news reporter is going to color the actual reporting in some way, even when the reporter attempts to control for it.

No one is accusing Fox News of bias here

Fox News deliberately and systemically uses its programming to push and/or cater to an agenda and has no qualms about being totally dishonest in order to do so. MSNBC is biased as ****, and has individuals that sometimes exhibit that sort of behavior, but unless they've gotten exceptionally worse in the last year or so (last time I saw an MSNBC program) they don't do it at an organizational level like Fox News (who actually went to court to defend their ability to report things dishonestly).

This angers me because I don't like the liberal bias that exists in pretty much every news source other then Fox, but I can't deal with the feeling I get from Fox that someone is trying to sell me something. I don't understand how people can watch it and not see the theater at work behind the whole thing, its like watching an infomercial.
Snake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 AM #80
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
The rest of the world, aside from China, is no better off.
Equally depressing.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 AM #81
F1VENOM

Quote:
Equally depressing.
Indeed, but what are we supposed to do about it?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 AM #82
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Indeed, but what are we supposed to do about it?
I don't know......GATTACA?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM #83
Umami
Mad as a hatter

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
It's normalized to 100. It's a comparative measure, not absolute. If everyone suddenly became geniuses, the mean (pretty sure they use the mean) would still be 100.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:57 AM #84
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
It's normalized to 100. It's a comparative measure, not absolute. If everyone suddenly became geniuses, the mean (pretty sure they use the mean) would still be 100.
That is comforting. Like that old sweater that keeps getting warmer with age.

I stole that from somewhere.