Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-13-2012, 03:52 PM #1
Splatkid10

CSL vs EGO '11 vs...well is there anything that even competes!

Hey guys,

So I'm getting back into paintball after about a 18 month hiatus and this time I've decided that I'm going to really get back into the sport and probably drop some serious coin (yes having a job!). Right now I've been running with an '05 EGO and love my gun, but I definitely have that gear itch right now.

My question is do you think that CSL is worth the extra $600 and can you still get them? I think what appeals to me is that it is the highest of the high end, and I've never had that before in my 13 years playing. At some level I think I just want to bite the bullet and get the "ultimate" or do you think this is ridiculous and I should save the cash? I'm assuming both guns will shoot essentially the same but the CSL will have some niceties to it.

Also, should I even be considering a DM12 or NT? I never used a spool valve, but I love the simple maintenance I've had with the EGO.

Finally, looking at getting a new mask, pants, harness, and tank. From what I can tell I should get a Ninja tank (68/4500 medium pressure), Empire events goggles, empire pants, and a harness from wherever really. Yeah...looking at throwing down the credit card big time. Do you guys have any preferences on clothing and harnesses that I should consider?

Thanks for the help, can't wait to get back into this full time!
Splatkid10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2012, 05:19 PM #2
CarsonRemchuk

CarsonRemchuk plays in the PSP
CarsonRemchuk owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
CarsonRemchuk supports Team VICIOUS
CarsonRemchuk supports Team VICIOUS
Get Empire clothing and an Empire harness
Exalt
Kick'N Paintball Park
GSL Owner Serial 716
CarsonRemchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:30 PM #3
Boostdclipse
MayheM

Annual Supporting Member
Boostdclipse plays in the PSP
Boostdclipse owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Boostdclipse supports Team VICIOUS
Boostdclipse plays in the APPA D3 division
Boostdclipse supports DLX Technology
Boostdclipse supports Empire
I own a csl and had a ego11. Ego11 hands down is a beastly gun, super smooth and efficient. CSL on the other hand is amazing. Probably one of the most efficient and accurate gun ever. Has a pricey tag but where you regearing up if your will to drop big loot snag a used ego 11 and a geo2.1 I have a geo2.1 as a backup and it's super smooth with no kick. My first spooLie ever and I have no complaints. As for maintance is literally less than a minute to pull the bolt and can out and relube. Good luck with your purchases
Boostdclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:33 PM #4
Feloniousnick

Feloniousnick plays in the APPA D5 division
You will fall in love with the DM12 or any DM since the Dm6 if you shoot an even decently tuned one. As well, they are plenty efficient for spools.
Feloniousnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:30 PM #5
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
Harness: NXE has always been a favorite. Laysik makes a pack that uses magnets to hold the pods instead of velcro. Empire, Sly, and Critical makes good ones too.

For clothing: Get a good pair of pants.I like my Empire, but I have had Dye, DXS, and JT as well. The DXS pants were nice and not as pricy as the others. For a jersey, Just get a regular Long sleeve tshirt unless you are playing with a team. Makes sure you get good knee and elbow pads also.

I would save the extra money on the CSl and just get a regular Ego11 unless you want that "wow" factor. They do shoot nice and have some extra features that the ego11 does not have, but I don't think it is worth the extra money. Another poppet to look into would be the 2012 G6R.

If you are interested in spools, the Dm series has always been a favorite. I would avoid the NT. Some other guns and companies to look into are the DLX Luxe, Vangaurd Demon, and Macdev Clone.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 PM #6
Jinx18
Dynamic

Jinx18 plays in the APPA D4 division
If you want the CSL because its a CSL, get it, but it won't be any better than an Ego11. Since you are just getting back into it I would suggest shooting a bunch of newer guns before dropping tons of money. Guns went from trying to get max BPS in the mid 2000's to now shooting as smooth and quiet as possible. Poppets have lost a little popularity to spools as of lately. The really popular high end guns now are Bob Long Victory, Bob Long G6r, Macdev Clone VX, DLX Luxe, Dye DM, Dye NT, Planet Eclipse Geo2.1, Planet Eclipse Ego11, Vanguard Demon, etc...

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Jinx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:52 PM #7
Splatkid10

You guys are spot on about the markers changing up over the past several years. I came back in early 2010 and had no clue about any of the new stuff, Luxe? What's that? I ended up just sticking with my '05 Ego because it was working fine, but now I got a gear upgrade itch and we all know how that goes.

I think my desire to stick with a Planet Eclipse gun is my satisfaction in what my '05 Ego delivered for me. As for the CSL vs a regular Ego '11, that's mainly just never having that "OMG" gun and well...scratching that itch also. I love buying a gun and not having to touch anything on it at all.

Why was there the transition from fast to smooth and quiet? I understand the 12.5 BPS limit as for speed but not so much the smooth and quiet. Is an Ego not smooth in most peoples opinion? Interesting....

Also, looks like I'll stick with Empire pants, harness, mask, etc. They look like they have quality products and got to have some sense of uniformity!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:36 AM #8
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatkid10 View Post
You guys are spot on about the markers changing up over the past several years. I came back in early 2010 and had no clue about any of the new stuff, Luxe? What's that? I ended up just sticking with my '05 Ego because it was working fine, but now I got a gear upgrade itch and we all know how that goes.
A luxe is a shocker
and the biggest difference in the past 5 years is performance has gotten a lot cheaper. You'll find the mid end guns to be better markers than what was top of the line in 05-06.
Quote:
I think my desire to stick with a Planet Eclipse gun is my satisfaction in what my '05 Ego delivered for me. As for the CSL vs a regular Ego '11, that's mainly just never having that "OMG" gun and well...scratching that itch also. I love buying a gun and not having to touch anything on it at all.
The ego11 and the CSL are the same gun, the difference is the CSL has some gold plated parts, and an exclusive barrel(which needs to be replaced anyway since it is .693 bore).
Quote:
Why was there the transition from fast to smooth and quiet? I understand the 12.5 BPS limit as for speed but not so much the smooth and quiet. Is an Ego not smooth in most peoples opinion? Interesting....
Ego has a bit of "pop" to it, however, the cycle speed is so fast that it doesn't really have time to generate any kick because the forward and backwards momentum are so closely spaced that they quickly cancel each other out before you notice it.
Quote:
Also, looks like I'll stick with Empire pants, harness, mask, etc. They look like they have quality products and got to have some sense of uniformity!
Never seen someone care more about looks than whether or not he is buying a quality product.
Well, first time for everything I suppose.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:07 AM #9
Splatkid10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post

Never seen someone care more about looks than whether or not he is buying a quality product.
Well, first time for everything I suppose.
Oh come on man! You and I both know that you can play like crap, but if you look like a baller...who cares!! Haha.

I think the empire pants are quality and have a lot of safety features built in making playing that much more comfortable. The Empire mask I like because I feel it covers more of my head then the dye mask, and the pack isn't all that pricey. I remember when Empire was more of a "lower" but not the lowest end type of gear. Looks like over the past 5-7 years they really turned it back on.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 AM #10
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Quote:
Oh come on man! You and I both know that you can play like crap, but if you look like a baller...who cares!! Haha.

I think the empire pants are quality and have a lot of safety features built in making playing that much more comfortable. The Empire mask I like because I feel it covers more of my head then the dye mask, and the pack isn't all that pricey. I remember when Empire was more of a "lower" but not the lowest end type of gear. Looks like over the past 5-7 years they really turned it back on.
Kee bought them, then decided to make them their flagship line, with the other companies hosting the lower end stuff.
As far as pants go, it's hard to find a bad pair, I own a pair of NXe and love them, thought that was before they were bought by tippman.
However, dye and empire aren't the only mask companies. After much research(i.e. wasted money) I have come to the conclusion that the proto axis and the JT proflex are the best masks. I am right now sporting a sly profit which is only passable but it cost me $90 and I'll be dammed if I am going to let it go to waste(I am cheap like that) however my next mask will be a proflex.
The one good thing about the sly is the dual pane they have is molded into a recessed into the front lens so it doesn't quickly separate like with other masks. The whole dual strap thing doesn't do ****, and the foam is so soft and thin it ceases to be padding and it's like if it wasn't there at all. So, every day I go home with a big line across my forehead from where the top of the mask dug in all day.
Also, Jerseys with a lot of padding aren't the best option IMO. I own a redz jersey and it's basically a large mesh shirt, however it is a lot cooler than any of my other jerseys with their pads and foam and stuff.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:32 AM #11
Mocking Da Bird
Rental

Mocking Da Bird is playing at Living Legends V
Mocking Da Bird has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mocking Da Bird has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mocking Da Bird has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Mocking Da Bird has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Don't consider the NT. It's crap and it's ****ty if you don't maintain it. If you can maintain it, however, it's a solid marker.

Don't consider the CSL. It's just like an Ego, with a lot more **** with it. Over-milled, and the opportunity to say "It's a CSL". They only made like, 20, right? Anyway....

Consider the V2 Victory!!! It's a GREAT gun. If you don't feel like purchasing a 1,200 gun, get the G6R. Two of the few greatest guns in the industry.

Planet Eclipse is great, but I consider Bob Long amazing.
Mocking Da Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 AM #12
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocking Da Bird View Post
Don't consider the NT. It's crap and it's ****ty if you don't maintain it. If you can maintain it, however, it's a solid marker.

Don't consider the CSL. It's just like an Ego, with a lot more **** with it. Over-milled, and the opportunity to say "It's a CSL". They only made like, 20, right? Anyway....

Consider the V2 Victory!!! It's a GREAT gun. If you don't feel like purchasing a 1,200 gun, get the G6R. Two of the few greatest guns in the industry.

Planet Eclipse is great, but I consider Bob Long amazing.
Bob Long... Didn't he play for Greenbay?

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 02-14-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 PM #13
spi007

has been a member for 10 years
spi007 plays in the PSP
spi007 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
spi007 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
OP
something you may have not thought about is cleats?

I've tried every cleat out there including baseball/soccer/football/exalt/DYE and let me tell you that by far the best cleat I've worn for paintball is the new HK shredder cleat; and I hate the company HK so that's saying something.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 PM #14
Splatkid10

Y'know I played this weekend and found my old soccer cleats to work fine on the turf. I do own a pair of turf shoes from my college baseball days that I may have to break back out.

I'm leaning towards buying a Geo 2.1 now. I didn't get to shoot one at the field but got a chance to hold one (and an Ego '11). Those guns are so frigging light, I couldn't believe it. My '05 Ego must have weighed about twice as much as those setups. Going from my current setup to a Ninja tank with a new Geo 2.1 will be like swinging a baseball bat without a warmup donut on. It was insane, amazing how far the technology has come!

I think I may get the 2012 Empire LTD pants, cause well, why not just get the fresh stuff? Plus they seem to have a lot of awesome features. Question though, I was thinking of buying the sliding shorts with the thigh and groin protection, those sliding shorts combined with the pant groin protection, do they "protect" enough? Normally I wear a cup (got here there once) but is the material thick enough or should I keep wearing the cup. Also, I saw a lot of like underarmor type shirts with pads by Empire, PE, etc. Are those legal for tournament play? Seems like a great way to get a few bounces and make getting bunkered a little less painful over the course of a tournament weekend.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:18 PM #15
DriverJ
Death is Coming...

Annual Supporting Member
DriverJ is BST Legit
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DriverJ supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
A luxe is a shocker
and the biggest difference in the past 5 years is performance has gotten a lot cheaper. You'll find the mid end guns to be better markers than what was top of the line in 05-06.
The Luxe is very much a fancy shocker. Performance for mid-range markers is up drastically from years and past and high performance is cheaper than ever. Performance wise todays mid-range markers are very much just as capable as yesterdays high end many ways, and not so much in others. But that said you can get much more performance for your buck now than 6+ years ago.

Quote:
The ego11 and the CSL are the same gun, the difference is the CSL has some gold plated parts, and an exclusive barrel(which needs to be replaced anyway since it is .693 bore).
Wrong. The stock bore on the Ego11 is .689 and the largest back with the CSL is .689. Please don't spread information without checking the source.
The barrel sizes with the CSL are .689, .685 and .681. There is also much more than just a barrel kit and gold pieces included.
Also included are 2 anno matched triggers, 2 valve guides to help tune your gun to your desired settings. EPortal kit. Both Cure3+ and Cure4 bolts as well as all the other goodies you'd get with the Ego11.

Realistically if you are going to buy all the accessories or just like having them the best bet is the CSL. If you have a barrel kit and don't need all the bells and whistles the Ego11 is for you.
The Ego11 shares the same operating principals as the CSL and every other stacked tube ram driven Electro-pneumatic poppit made in the last 10 years.

That all said the CSL does shoot a bit different than a standard Ego, not everyone will notice it though unless they have spent a significant amount of time with each of the Egos.

Any ways if you don't care about the extras, or exclusivity go with the Ego11 and spend the rest on paint
DriverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:49 AM #16
Splatkid10

Yeah I think spending the 1800$ on a gun is a bit much and as of now I'm leaning towards a geo 2.1 actually. That being said, anyone have any input or comments on the pants and gear I posted further down in this thread? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:10 PM #17
Metsfan323
Rowdy Gentleman.

Metsfan323 plays in the PSP
Metsfan323 supports Team VICIOUS
Metsfan323 plays in the APPA D3 division
I currently have a DM12 and the new 2012 G6R, and have no complaints about either, at all. The G6R shot 12 pods on a full fill yesterday, amazing. On the other hand, my DM12 is the best gun I've ever owned, out of my Clone, Geo, G6R and Axe. It's amazing. The CSL on the other hand is no better than the ego, and they even make CSL colors for the Ego line. Only main difference is the carbon fiber barrel & it looks a bit nicer. They won't shoot any different though, that's a fact. Go with the Ego, DM12 or Geo 2.1 if you're looking at the $1200 mark. Good luck on your future purchase.

VSB. | Grey/Grey DM13 For Sale!
Metsfan323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:35 PM #18
frankie says chillax
...bro

frankie says chillax plays in the PSP
frankie says chillax plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostdclipse View Post
I own a csl and had a ego11. Ego11 hands down is a beastly gun, super smooth and efficient. CSL on the other hand is amazing. Probably one of the most efficient and accurate gun ever. Has a pricey tag but where you regearing up if your will to drop big loot snag a used ego 11 and a geo2.1 I have a geo2.1 as a backup and it's super smooth with no kick. My first spooLie ever and I have no complaints. As for maintance is literally less than a minute to pull the bolt and can out and relube. Good luck with your purchases
geo smooth? LOL

WTB MINTY FRESH MACDEV 07 CYBORGS
frankie says chillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 PM #19
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
Empire pants are good quality. As for the undergear, a cup is all preferance, but recommended. There is padding on the Empire pants that covers the groin area and the hips. I don't wear sliding short with my empire pants, just compression shorts (no padding). As for the shirts, I would suggest getting separate armpads and kneepads from the underarmor stuff and just use a regular underarmor shirt if you need one.

For the Geo2.1, they are solid guns. I used one this past weekend in an event because it was raining and egos don't do very well in the rain. It shot smooth and was able to keep the water out (big factor with paint accuracy) and was consistent over the chrono, but the efficiency wasn't that great. I was normally carrying 7 pods per game and I had to drop to 5 so I wouldn't run out of air with my 68. Luckily, the weather cleared up and I was able to go back to my ego and shoot what I needed.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:40 AM #20
PaulE2Cocker

PaulE2Cocker owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
I have csl and dm 12 and fully upped axe csl is my baby shoots terrific just always scared to take to field has probably 5 cases through it never used my barrel kit with it boars are great sizes but just don't wanna mess up. My dm 12 and my mq2 Karnivore are my beater guns can always count on both too sling some ropes dm 12 has no noise no kick great stock trigger that adjust to anyone. My csl though is loud. But is very accurate and minimal kick. Now my axe prob has same amount money in it as a g6r but fully upped compared to stock different gun. Redline. Board easy read/adjust bolt took all kick out of gun and some of noise feed neck made low profile stiffi made it a little quiter than a shocker. My opinion get what u want all are great I love the feel of my csl frme over my dm but love quietness on dm just find what fits ur preferences and budget but csl way better than ego 11. 3 barrell backs 2 fronts 2 triggers high low pressure Valves, micro trigger switch or old e2 style trigger switch deff worth extra 600

Quoted from the great Simon Stevens
"The freak is 15 year old technology and ideas. The idea that we havent learnt anything since then is ridiculous"
PaulE2Cocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM #21
Team.Infected
Beast Coast

Team.Infected supports Team VICIOUS
Team.Infected posts videos on PbNation
Team.Infected plays in the APPA D4 division
Team.Infected supports Empire
Quote:
Hey guys,

So I'm getting back into paintball after about a 18 month hiatus and this time I've decided that I'm going to really get back into the sport and probably drop some serious coin (yes having a job!). Right now I've been running with an '05 EGO and love my gun, but I definitely have that gear itch right now.

My question is do you think that CSL is worth the extra $600 and can you still get them? I think what appeals to me is that it is the highest of the high end, and I've never had that before in my 13 years playing. At some level I think I just want to bite the bullet and get the "ultimate" or do you think this is ridiculous and I should save the cash? I'm assuming both guns will shoot essentially the same but the CSL will have some niceties to it.

Also, should I even be considering a DM12 or NT? I never used a spool valve, but I love the simple maintenance I've had with the EGO.

Finally, looking at getting a new mask, pants, harness, and tank. From what I can tell I should get a Ninja tank (68/4500 medium pressure), Empire events goggles, empire pants, and a harness from wherever really. Yeah...looking at throwing down the credit card big time. Do you guys have any preferences on clothing and harnesses that I should consider?

Thanks for the help, can't wait to get back into this full time!
CLS is just the HIGHEST PRICED of the HIGH Ends.. not the best shooting by any lengths. You pay more for the name than the quality, its an Ego so save your money and buy an ego, if you want the wow factor then save the 600 bucks and get a really nice anno job. it will cost less than 600, customize the look to what you like and will shoot just as well as the CLS

GUN: Bob long Victory, Bob long G6R, MacDev Clone. Buy any of these guns and you will save money, Put the extra money into laser engraving and or anno jobs and you will have an amazing shooting and looking gun. It will look how you want and will show your personality. For the same price as a CLS (or less) you will have a gun that shoots as nice but looks even better

LUXE, Ego 11, Geo 2. Great shooting guns, I prefer the luxe out of these 3, sometimes they are a little pricier but they shoot very well. Luxe is smoother and quieter, Ego is more durable/easier to maintain but loud and ^kick, Geo a little difficult to learn how to maintain, gas hog, incredibly smooth and quiet.

Mask: Events convenient/light/comfortable, Dye I4 comfortable and light (small on face but BEST field of view on the market), Sly profits, EFlex (event lens/Flex frame)

Pack: Empire fastback Dye attack pack pro<will not move on your back when diving or running! easy to get the pods out. Dye is similar idea to the fast pack where it reduces profile but the attack pack has straps to keep the pods from sliding out

Clothing. Empire pants all the way, LTD is very durable and is not baggy, form fitting for easy movement and a smaller profile

Dye rotor > all
Team.Infected is offline   Reply With Quote