kapp_badbloodz
CLASSIFIED

has been a member for 10 years
kapp_badbloodz supports Cereal Killerz 2
kapp_badbloodz supports our troops
kapp_badbloodz is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by akward silence View Post
Eh, I've never had an issue. I refuse to purchase an AP.
I did a lot of research and have been talking with some guys that either tune on their own or tune for a shop. The guy who is tunning my car was the engineer who helped Cobb build the Accessport. He is a smart dude...

Essentially, the AP allows you to tune in real time and see real data from the car. Compared to open source; you basically get a base map you or someone else before you created. You check the numbers, AFR, etc and then flash it to the car. From there you make adjustments, flash the car, make adjustments, flash the car, etc... till you reach a final tune.

The Accessport operates in real time. You run the tune through the accessport, make adjustments, then flash once to the ECU. You still tune, adjust, tune, adjust but you dont have to wait for the car to flash each time.

Also, it data logs your cars performance. So while I will be on a stock/conservative tune while my motor is breaking in; I will be logging raw data so when I go back and tune for power, John can make different adjustments as needed through trends of the particular I have. Like if my car was running lean and somewhat hotter. He can then tune for a higher AFR and solve any issues that might arise from this.

THIS IS JUST HOW I THINK IT WORKS!!! This is my first accessport and I have no other experience with them. I think it will allow me to control and monitor my car a lot better this go around.

AWK: when someone buys an AP with an "off the shelf map" and wants zero progression from then on out then yeah 450 bucks is steep. But for me I plan to tune a bit. I can now hold more than 1 map on my engine with using the AP. Its pretty nice when you think about it.

"Originally posted by slateman: Air Force . . . serious business"
MGDT: "Originally posted by Marine786: We had one guy get orders for a deployment while on a deployment."
AFDT:"Originally posted by f2f4: Or maybe he meant our exposed and aerated crotches. Privates. Because lord knows our PT gear only encourages "wardrobe malfunctions.""
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 PM #1976
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D4 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Quote:

Stop saying this. It's annoying as ****.

Don't lead somebody to spend $600 they absolutely DO NOT NEED on an AP. You can do minor bolt ons, what some amount to stage 2, without ever seeing Cobb.

Not to you at all rampage, just people in general.
I disagree , having a place to store your tunes in your care is awesome with no need for a laptop or aftermarket ecu. Ie an e85 tune and a gas tune for when you can't get e85 (road trips) . Also you know what your getting as opposed to going to the nearest tunner ( let's say you live in Montana ) and he only does Vws/ audis and mazdas on his YouTube videos . Do you say **** it and let him wing your Wrx or take an out of the box tune that hundreds have used before by Cobb .

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 PM #1977
DrobertsPB
You rebel scum

Thankfully there are plenty of reputable tuners around me.

Feel bad for dudes in the middle of no where
Old 01-15-2013, 10:51 PM #1978
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

akward silence is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
akward silence is a top reviewer
I know what the AP does Corey, I've had one. They are definitely not $450 either. Try $595.

Also, storing tunes is easy. I, until recently, didn't have a laptop for over a year. I stored my tunes on my drop box, borrowing a laptop was easy.

APs are absolutely not worth it for somebody going "stg2" .

Yuik: Awful logic and terrible argument. Why would you not research your tuner beforehand?
OSTT GURU
Old 01-15-2013, 11:05 PM #1979
kapp_badbloodz
CLASSIFIED

kapp_badbloodz supports Cereal Killerz 2
kapp_badbloodz supports our troops
kapp_badbloodz is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Meh... to each their own.

But I did pay 450 for mine brand new

"Originally posted by slateman: Air Force . . . serious business"
MGDT: "Originally posted by Marine786: We had one guy get orders for a deployment while on a deployment."
AFDT:"Originally posted by f2f4: Or maybe he meant our exposed and aerated crotches. Privates. Because lord knows our PT gear only encourages "wardrobe malfunctions.""
Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 AM #1980
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

Edit: I just reread this. I must be in a bad mood or something. I'm coming across as extremely aggressive tonight. It's not intentional.

Quote:
**** Cobb.

A tune from Mikey will do just as good and cost MUCH less.
That's just it.. A tune. I don't want a tune. I want 5 or 6 ****ing tunes. I want an economy tune. I want an E85 tune. I want a 91 and a 93 tune (91 for base map, 93 for real map). I want a race gas tune if I ever use any. **** it. If I'm going to pay out the *** for a pro tuner I'm going to get every damn thing I can at once.

You CAN do that with a laptop. But changing on the fly is a PITA then. The AP can monitor **** on the car, store a variety of maps, change maps easily, and comes with the awesome base tunes Cobb has spent plenty of time working on.

I've had to call them a few times and have received nothing but awesome customer service from them. That wins customers. That won me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post

AWK: when someone buys an AP with an "off the shelf map" and wants zero progression from then on out then yeah 450 bucks is steep. But for me I plan to tune a bit. I can now hold more than 1 map on my engine with using the AP. Its pretty nice when you think about it.
Even the base maps are a big deal. If you consider how ****ed up the tunes on these cars are to please regulations you would understand why even a simple stage 1 is a big deal.

Now, I'll agree if you plan to get it and just go stage 1 you might have been better off borrowing a cable and downloading some tune, still, the V2 AP offers some other features (and warranties if your car ****s up on one of their tunes) that make it worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post
I disagree , having a place to store your tunes in your care is awesome with no need for a laptop or aftermarket ecu. Ie an e85 tune and a gas tune for when you can't get e85 (road trips) . Also you know what your getting as opposed to going to the nearest tunner ( let's say you live in Montana ) and he only does Vws/ audis and mazdas on his YouTube videos . Do you say **** it and let him wing your Wrx or take an out of the box tune that hundreds have used before by Cobb .
This. I live in the middle of ****ing nowhere. If I go to Houston, I'd like to grab some E85 and run it for a bit. But when I'm back home I like 93. If I get bad gas I'd like to change that to a 91 to make up for the bad gas. etc. Having a variety of tunes is such an essential piece of the tuning process for me.

Quote:
I know what the AP does Corey, I've had one. They are definitely not $450 either. Try $595.

Also, storing tunes is easy. I, until recently, didn't have a laptop for over a year. I stored my tunes on my drop box, borrowing a laptop was easy.

APs are absolutely not worth it for somebody going "stg2" .

Yuik: Awful logic and terrible argument. Why would you not research your tuner beforehand?
Borrowing a laptop and keeping tunes on a dropbox? What if you get some terrible ****ing gas and NEED to switch tunes because this **** is ****ing terrible? Having a lower octane base map to switch back to by just disconnecting the battery is almost an essential, especially on a motor worth a few thousand like I have.

Oh, and used V2s go for 400-500, depending on if it has some aftermarket tunes or not. V1s can be had for 150-200, even though they aren't anywhere near as good.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Old 01-16-2013, 06:20 AM #1981
visualx
Raise Your Weapon

Kinda wish I had AP. Partly for real time, but Mikey is so boss with open source that it doesn't matter. Mostly it's so I could switch tunes easier. I'm paranoid and occasionally worry about running out of gas (even when I have a half tank left) because there's no e85 in Broward. Luckily last night I found a station right on the skirts of it, which should alleviate some of that. Supposedly I can switch tunes on opensource/tactrix but I really don't know how
Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 AM #1982
starscream0
A hero aint nothing but a

I'd probably get an AP for an STi when I get it considering I'd only ever be DDing it and I wouldn't be doing anything more really than a TBE, coils, sways, and short shifter for a long time since a stock STi is head and shoulders above my modded wrx anyway.

Last edited by starscream0 : 01-16-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 AM #1983
visualx
Raise Your Weapon

I dd. wanna fight about it?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 AM #1984
starscream0

Yeah you're on! 3:30, out on the playground. Be there or be square!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:08 AM #1985
visualx
Raise Your Weapon

I wanna be a square. They're edgy
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 AM #1986
ridebmx211
RC ARMY

ridebmx211 is a founding member
ridebmx211 plays in the PSP
ridebmx211 supports Pev's Paintball
ridebmx211 plays in the APPA D4 division
ridebmx211 is Legendary
WOW!! i forgot APs were so cheap for subies. they are 795 NEW for the BMWs and yes its the same exact tool. Yes tuning on it is better you can change so much so easily(if your a tuner) plus the fact that it will read codes and monitor data makes it a handheld scan tool as well. Having 10 tunes in my car was awesome even though i only ever used one. it took about 2 minutes to flash a different tune.

I just sold my AP for 650 and bought a JB4($550) which is a plug and play tuner that plugs in inline with my ECU. Now i have 8 maps and can change them when ever(even while driving) and it takes about 5 seconds. The tuning is not as extensive and some things cant be changed(timing) but the power gains are a little higher on the OTS maps. Custom tuning with the AP would net higher gains(at 500 a tune). I also now have 2step and NLS.

One of the coolest features of the JB4 is an "autotuning" map. You load it and then do 3 3rd gear pulls from 2500-6500 and it learns what it can and cant do. It adapts for fuel and mods. So if i wanna try a 50/50 e85 mix i can fill it up and select that map do a few pulls and then enjoy the extra 50 hp.

I really wish they made something like this for subies.
Save the Environment, PLAY PUMP!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 AM #1987
Evil_Paintball_freek
#No****sGiven

Annual Supporting Member
Evil_Paintball_freek is a Supporting Member
Evil_Paintball_freek is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Evil_Paintball_freek is attending Decay of Nations VII
Why are so many of you against APs? I love it.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:27 AM #1988
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

Agreed. The V2 is an awesome tool for a car and, if for nothing more than to monitor the car in real time, can bring a much better tune to the car.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 AM #1989
Evil_Paintball_freek
#No****sGiven

Annual Supporting Member
The real time data logs, switch tunes on the fly, Code reader, and I like that it actually tells you what the problem is, it doesn't give you a code to look up. Plus the real time stuff is pretty neat.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 AM #1990
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

I still see no reason for somebody who just wants to do "stage 2" to get an AP.

If you want a million tunes, sure go for it. That's not what I'm here to argue.

I keep multiple tunes on my Dropbox and it's easy to access them. OS tunes, especially from mikey, are great. I usually get an E85 tune and a 91 tune. No more E85 so that went away, but I get multiple protunes from him whenever we tune.
OSTT GURU
Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 AM #1991
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream0 View Post
I'd probably get an AP for an STi when I get it considering I'd only ever be DDing it and I wouldn't be doing anything more really than a TBE, coils, sways, and short shifter for a long time since a stock STi is head and shoulders above my modded wrx anyway.
This is the exact kind of user that doesn't need an AP, at all.
OSTT GURU
Old 01-16-2013, 10:05 AM #1992
ridebmx211
RC ARMY

ridebmx211 is a founding member
ridebmx211 plays in the PSP
ridebmx211 supports Pev's Paintball
ridebmx211 plays in the APPA D4 division
ridebmx211 is Legendary
Quote:
This is the exact kind of user that doesn't need an AP, at all.
I disagree %100, I think thats the exact type of person that SHOULD have an AP. Why? because an AP is "bolt on" and requires NO automotive knowledge. the tunes are safe, and make good power. No guessing, laptops cables or understanding anything involved. Hook up select map and drive. follow the instructions.
Save the Environment, PLAY PUMP!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 AM #1993
starscream0

Yeah that's why I'm down with it.
Also because switching maps for lesser octane fuel would be easy. Especially being down here in the back *** woods of the south, not all the gas stations have 93.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:02 AM #1994
visualx
Raise Your Weapon

people mix e85 and 93?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 AM #1995
Evil_Paintball_freek
#No****sGiven

Annual Supporting Member