bigfootguy2002
Play Paintball Here!

Annual Supporting Member
bigfootguy2002 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
bigfootguy2002 is BST Legit
bigfootguy2002 plays in the PSP
Success with Groupon/Living Social, etc

I am in the process of working with both Groupon and Living social, and I was interested in seeing some of the deals that you guys have run, the results, and what percentage of them actually redeemed.
-Will

Central Alabama Paintball Park and Tournament Complex
Minor League Paintball (MiLP)
(205) 837-4177
bigfootguy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2012, 04:25 PM #2
tvise
USPN Hollister CA

tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise posts videos on PbNation
tvise has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I do not have the official numbers but we have been using living social and it has helped.

Almost immediately after the ad was put up we had calls rolling in.

Groupon wanted something like 15$ of our profits so we steered away from them.

But it does help with rentals... and that is what you really want.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:23 PM #3
eatmeat

eatmeat is a Supporting Member
eatmeat plays in the PSP
eatmeat owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
We ran a groupon made $8,000 in groups sales in one weekend. The package was a rental group for 2-20 people. It included rental gear and 100 paintballs, some people showed up and only used the 100 paintballs and when home. Most bought more paint for normal price, some people never showed. We sold it in the spring and the rules said you had to use it before thanksgiving. Worked out well for us but we don't advertise anywhere else and it really got our name out there.

It reaches different kinds of people that normally wouldn't have thought they wanted to come try paintball but since it came to their smart phones and seemed like a new adventure and seemed cheap they bought it.

Either way its a win with groupon it doesn't cost money out of your pocket, most people that buy it aren't your normal customers (so your not loading much money) and even if people don't buy they send out your field info to tens of thousands of people for free :/

Hope that helps
Love
Brad

R.I.P. Jason "Towlie" Calef 11/18/2008 You will never be forgotten
NEW JACK CITY
MIDWEST ARMY OG
New Jack City's FaceBook Become a fan you wont regret it!
eatmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:48 PM #4
TeacherCreature

If you dont mind me asking what was the groupon you ran ?
TeacherCreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 PM #5
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
The important thing in my opinion is not to do these discounted offers too often. When your customers start asking when you are doing your next Groupon, then there's a good chance you are doing too many. It's a good marketing tool if used sensibly. Groupon is starting to have so financial woes, so the salesmen are going to try to get you to run Groupons more frequently. When you do them too often, soon a good portion of your customers are discount customers and unless you are careful, it's going to eventually affect your bottom line in a negative way.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 AM #6
sal briguglio

sal briguglio is a Supporting Member
sal briguglio is playing at Living Legends III
sal briguglio is playing at Living Legends V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
The important thing in my opinion is not to do these discounted offers too often. When your customers start asking when you are doing your next Groupon, then there's a good chance you are doing too many. It's a good marketing tool if used sensibly. Groupon is starting to have so financial woes, so the salesmen are going to try to get you to run Groupons more frequently. When you do them too often, soon a good portion of your customers are discount customers and unless you are careful, it's going to eventually affect your bottom line in a negative way.
I agree you don't want to run them too often. If your existing customers start asking when you are going to run your next one, that is a problem because the point of Groupon/Living Social is to attract NON-paintball players to your field.

We have had pretty good success with both Groupon and Living Social from the standpoint of bringing in new customers. Our normal deal is free entry/air/rental with two pods of paintballs. While some of them leave after shooting their two pods, the majority of them buy extra paint, upgrades, etc. so we do end up making a few dollars on their first visit. The good news is most of them return and some become regulars.

We also use Groupon/Living Social for our Haunted Trail each October. This has been very successful each year. We average about 4,000 GrouponLiving Social customers for this.
Proud member of the Master Blasters Traveling Road Show
Proud Supporter of DAN COLBY.
sal briguglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:54 AM #7
TwistedPBMom
Field Owner

TwistedPBMom is a Supporting Member
TwistedPBMom is an Ultimate field/store owner
TwistedPBMom supports our troops
We have done both Groupon and Living Social. Compared to when Groupon hit the scene, sales are progressively smaller (not just for us but from what I can see when competitors run one). I think it is due increased competition and their running the offers in smaller areas - rather than all of Houston, our last campaign was offered to only those in our local area. And the fact that every field in the area seems to be running one so folks are tired of seeing paintball offers every week.

We never include paint - only entry and rental equipment. Rentals and entry do not cost me a thing out of pocket. Paint on the other hand does.

We have only done two campaigns and the redemption rate for both was a little more 1/3 of those purchased. So those not showing up paid for those who did.

TwistedPBMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 AM #8
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedPBMom View Post
We never include paint - only entry and rental equipment. Rentals and entry do not cost me a thing out of pocket. Paint on the other hand does.
There would be a small associated maintenance, air/CO2 and wear & tear cost, but it's probably minimal. I would argue though that there is extra staffing cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedPBMom View Post
We have only done two campaigns and the redemption rate for both was a little more 1/3 of those purchased. So those not showing up paid for those who did.
Our redemption rate is in that neighborhood as well. One thing I always wonder about is the people who buy but don't redeem. Obviously they are a little interested or at least curious about paintball, otherwise they wouldn't have bought, which is a good thing because those are the people you are trying to lure to your field. However, dose spending money on something and then not redeeming (wasting their money) leave a bit of a bad taste in their mouths? Do they then associate your business with something that was a waste of money? I'm not saying that is a reason not to do these, but just something I've thought about.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 AM #9
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
i think the people who end up not redeeming are those people who just forget all about it. they dont really remember they spent the money and probably dont care that much.

i know several people who use groupon that are just like that.

im also pretty sure groupon reminds people before deals expire as we had a bunch of people show up last minute for our last day of play (also the day groupons expired).

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:45 PM #10
BlueEgo
OWNER OF PEKIN PAINTBALL

The best one we ran went like this. We offer 2 options that include rental gear and entry fee for a party of 6 people for $30 or party of 10 people for $45. IT IS MADE VERY CLEAR THAT PAINT AND AIR ARE NOT INCLUDED AND MUST BE PURCHASED AT THE FIELD. In one week we sold 110 packages for the party of 6, that's 660 new potential customers, and 120 parties of 10, that's 1200 new potential customers. We ran it in the spring and by the years end we had a 68% return rate. Some even turned into regulars, very few though.

http://www.pekinhaunt.com/
Guns vs. The Undead = winning

http://pekinpaintballpark.com/
BlueEgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:53 PM #11
motherpaintball
Paintball Nurturer

motherpaintball plays in the PSP
We stopped including paint/air in our Living Social/Groupon type deals as well. That way LS/Groupon corp. gets way less of OUR money and we still make money on each player when they come to the field. It is less out of pocket money for someone to get the coupons and we charge a minimum amount when they actually do come out.

Overall I think it has been a huge benefit for our field.

Sue
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Skyli...l/182251209504
Home of Team ROGUE & DC DEVASTATION MAMA BEAR
motherpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:16 PM #12
anthonytpennino

We run the same deal; Just like paintball usa passes the customer gets Admission/Rental but has to pay for Paint, Air fills, and optional upgrades such as coverall and chest protector rentals. The idea is for YOU to get as much money as possible so I don't recommend including the paint etc. as that costs you money.
Works out great for us. Almost all the groups end up renting the coveralls and chest protectors so that's a nice bonus.
I agree that you don't want to run it too much. We try to run them as we head into our slower season which is May-August (we're indoors). Groupon gets you your money fast so it's especially helpful with cashflow in the slower months. Living social takes a few weeks longer to pay but we've sold a lot through them as well.
Look at it as a form of FREE advertising with perks.
http://www.facebook.com/islandpaintball
anthonytpennino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:22 PM #13
RIP2010

Consider this:

Groupon has a massive membership list. Ask your representative how many potential customers will receive the email blast.

Ensure you promote birthday celebrations as parents are always looking for new things to do.

The 50/50% profit split that Groupon charges is the cost of doing business. You should consider the cost of not doing business with them versus the advertising cost, which is really what you are paying for. Consider a cost per impression ratio per number of emails that are sent. Yes, it will be expensive in that formula, but you are the only one that can determine whether it is worth the cost or not. Let me say this, that if you are considering Groupon, then you are considering Advertising, if you are considering Advertising then the business needs help to grow as it is not a walk-in market.

Try one Groupon and see how it goes, when you have run it so many times that people will not come without the special offer, then stop running it.

Lastly, ask for a 60/40% split to your favor. You can get a better deal once you have a proven record for selling lots of Groupons.
RIP2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:43 PM #14
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Groupon lets you restrict when the Groupons are valid, so they can also be used for price differentiation, for example, Sundays only, or if you're indoor, Thursday nights or some such.

One cause of Groupon non-redemption is buying them planning to use them with your friends who have bought one and then never getting your schedules to work out. I've had that happen on a couple non-paintball buys.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote