Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 AM #148
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorMan View Post
When I finally got to go use my new gun this past Sunday, the field (which, to be fair, was indoor and smallish) had about 95% renters (mostly birthday groups) and the other 5% was me and 6 other guys with better guns and lots of experience. We weren't uber by any stretch of the imagination, but we knew what we were doing and could output a lot of paint accurately if we needed to. Those two facts led us to be asked to sit out of almost every game after the first few, to the point where we had to wait 20-30 minutes to take the field by ourselves for about 2-5 minutes. All told we got to play about 8 short rounds in 3 hours of play time and were still barred from participating in the renter games even after complaining to the staff. When we asked why we couldn't join, we were told over and over again that they didn't want to go up against "full auto" guns like ours, though I imagine they also didn't want to deal with our aggressive tactics either.
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'd find a new field, or show the refs at that field that you are indeed shooting semi-auto (not full auto). If that doesn't convince them, then I'd leave and never go back because you're obviously dealing with idiots.

If you're paying for entry/air and getting barred from games because you happen to own your own equipment, that's bull****. The only way I can see that being acceptable is if the gun owners have zero trigger control, which should be easily spotted by the refs if they're any good.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 AM #149
Castro #66
Sniper Whisperer
 
Castro #66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
There's something to be said for a field that protects its recreational players. First timers and kids generally gain more interest by watching experienced players (if possible) than getting bowled over by them. In the future, insist that it be the renter's choice whether they would like to try to play against you. After that, it's up to you to not shoot anyone in the back of the head.

I harp on this a lot, but being an ambassador to the sport by helping and being friendly on and off the field goes such a long way.
__________________
Certified Master Airsmith
Airsmithing & 3rd Party Shipping - PM for details
Can't we all just play Paintball?


Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:49 PM #150
AviatorMan
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsout777 View Post
So I've been going through this thread and really to be honest; It's all about a small matter of opinion...
Most of the time, posts come from haters and those who have heard a story from a story from an uncles, cousins, aunts, best friends post man and we all know the big fish story from the fisherman!?

I bought a G4 2 years ago simply cause I liked its price, the looks (custom colours) and the fact that it was so completely different compare to what most players here in South Africa play with. I still to this day get asked what kind of marker it is or if it is the new PE Ego/Goe/DM or something.

That's the problem with new/newer players/kids of today (I've seen it all and been involved with this wonderful sport for well on 19 years) all they want is what is the most popular brand/marker/loader and what the sales person tells them to, but not what is necessarily the "best"/most reliable/bang-for-buck marker around. I researched my choice for 6 months before I made my purchase. Too many are not willing to do the same and just go for the most expensive cause they think it's going to make them a better player.

Here where I come from DYE's and Ego's rule the roost and I don't have any problem with those. If I could afford an Ego/Geo, hell yes then I would buy one. But as I am restricted to a budget for me the most important is Value for Money (Bang-for-Buck as you guys would say) There was a guy here who bought a custom Ego CSL w/custom lazer engraving on it, paid an absolute fortune for it, and the poor sod couldn't even walk the trigger??? I shot him so many times off the break that he stopped walking on with my team. Needless to say he sold the marker, actually gave it away and got a "lower" end Ego, saying it was better for him. ????
But the only comment I have ever gotten from players who has used my marker for a game or two, where they usually use a DM/Ego/Geo, is mine is a little louder than what they are use to. ????? No comments about kick, accuracy, reliability (it's given me a few headaches off the field but never in a game) etc.
I mean come on, these guys are using the "best" right? Why is the only comparable difference that they can pick up, the sound signature?
Mine has a stock bolt and reg but with PMD (for the looks), Freak barrel, Virtue board, 7th Element eyes and I usually run a Spyder Fasta loader. It's not "up'd" (modded as we say here) by any streach of the imagination.

All modern markers and I'm even referring to those from the days of Shockers and Eos's, e-Blade's and e-Mag's, All do the same thing at the same speed; Shoot paintballs at 10+bps and 300fps. No tourney will allow a marker to shoot over 15bps or 305fps, so really it comes down to, first and fore-most, budget. Then things like effeciency and reliability come into play, but again that does also come down to marker maintenance and whether you want to tinker and tweak, or just be a slob and never lube your marker.

I've always said to any new person who is looking to get in to the sport... first buy your own good mask, the best you can afford, it's a relatively small outlay compared to markers, loader, pod-packs etc. Then go play with a few players markers see which one fits your hand, your style of play, the way you pull the trigger (very important IMO) these things will quickly make your mind up as to what kind of marker you want. If it is going to be a mid range "unknown" marker, then get it. If you want to look like a complete noob and get the **** shot out of you, get mommy and daddy to buy you a $1500 marker, and never come play PB again. I'd rather play with 10 guys who know what they are doing on the field than with 50 who don't have a clue.
I've known this for years... even way back when I first started, you could always tell the kids (or adults) who got themselves way more gun than they really needed and then spent most of every game sitting out because they would just Leeroy Jenkins into a wall of paint the second the game started. That's a big part of the reason I was trying to avoid spending too much: For me a gun that can shoot 30bps and has a shiny LCD panel is a waste because I'll never shoot that much and probably break the other. Plus, as has been said earlier in this thread, after a certain point, you only really get small improvements in performance for big increases in cost, and I'm starting to think that most of the really high end guns have you paying for the name and the bragging rights more than actual improvements to the gun.

As for new players, I usually tell them to rent a few times and then look for something solid and entry level. Unless you're some sort of paintball prodigy, buying a tournament gun as your first gun, even an entry level one, is probably going to be a waste of money... better to get a solid mechanical gun that you can upgrade some and not worry about taking care of it all that much. Then, once you've gained some experience, you can start thinking about moving up to better guns and shinier gear. And of course I'd rather play against 10 good guys than 50 noobs, but the reality of the situation is that those 10 good guys should be mixed in with the 50 noobs so that everyone gets to play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'd find a new field, or show the refs at that field that you are indeed shooting semi-auto (not full auto). If that doesn't convince them, then I'd leave and never go back because you're obviously dealing with idiots.

If you're paying for entry/air and getting barred from games because you happen to own your own equipment, that's bull****. The only way I can see that being acceptable is if the gun owners have zero trigger control, which should be easily spotted by the refs if they're any good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro #66 View Post
There's something to be said for a field that protects its recreational players. First timers and kids generally gain more interest by watching experienced players (if possible) than getting bowled over by them. In the future, insist that it be the renter's choice whether they would like to try to play against you. After that, it's up to you to not shoot anyone in the back of the head.

I harp on this a lot, but being an ambassador to the sport by helping and being friendly on and off the field goes such a long way.
It actually wasn't the refs keeping us out of the games, but the renters. The refs were just being pushovers and letting everyone exclude us. Maybe we were bowling over the new players a little, but its hard not to if they never move from the same spot for a whole game. I don't think I'll be going back to this place again unless the weather dictates it, seeing as how this is the only indoor field in the area. That being said, of the group that I had originally intended to go with, I'm still the only one with any experience or my own gear, so they might not have the same problems I had in participating. At least under those circumstances, I'll have the argument that the renters who aren't in my group can't dictate who from my group gets to play and who doesn't...
AviatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:21 PM #151
Castro #66
Sniper Whisperer
 
Castro #66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
No one should be made to play with anyone they don't want to, so long as that rule is followed, paintball should keep moving in a positive direction.
__________________
Certified Master Airsmith
Airsmithing & 3rd Party Shipping - PM for details
Can't we all just play Paintball?


Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:51 PM #152
AviatorMan
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro #66 View Post
No one should be made to play with anyone they don't want to, so long as that rule is followed, paintball should keep moving in a positive direction.
So your point of view is that they were perfectly justified in making us sit around all day because they didn't want to play with us? I'm not saying they should be forced to play with us, but then allow us field time every other match so we got our money's worth as well... especially when we can finish a round in a quarter of the time that the renters could. That being said, at my old field, if you didn't do a private booking of the whole field, you had absolutely no reasonable expectation of controlling who got to be on the field. My second day out (first was a school group private booking) I was going up against players with Mags and Cockers and who repeatedly tore me a new one. Maybe I'm a special case, but that made me work harder at getting good so I could whup them every once in a while too rather than scaring me off the field.

When all is said and done, I don't have much sympathy for the people who tried to exclude us from play because they knew what they were getting into when they signed the release form saying they would get shot at and also their idea of a good time should not be allowed to ruin my day. If they don't want to play with us when we were willing to bend over backwards to try and fit in with their groups, that's fine, but I'm neither going to be happy about it, nor am I going to give the staff a pass for not letting us play more on our own. As I've said before, this one experience is enough to put this field at the bottom of my list for future play, even to the point of maybe staying home if the weather is not conducive to outdoor play. Sure, they may have made the renters happy, but they may not have been back for a year, while I might have been back the next weekend...

Last edited by AviatorMan : 12-13-2012 at 02:58 PM.
AviatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 PM #153
Castro #66
Sniper Whisperer
 
Castro #66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
I may have missed earlier that you wrote having to sit out between their games... is that what you're saying? That's certainly a manager's issue, and I can't get behind that sort of thing, particularly if your group is ready to play every time the other group leaves the field. That's really as simple as saying: "Hey, Mr. Paintballfieldowner, we're really not getting fair field time, what can be done about this?"

As far as comparing your early experiences with paintball to current newbies, I can only suggest that paintball has changed with the world. People are trying to be more understanding and inclusive than even 10 years ago, and while that isn't ideal for all personality types, it does foster more interest in the sport. Some people just need a softer or longer "breaking in" period.
__________________
Certified Master Airsmith
Airsmithing & 3rd Party Shipping - PM for details
Can't we all just play Paintball?


Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:07 AM #154
Lightsout777
Lightsout777
 
Lightsout777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Africa
Lightsout777 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorMan View Post
...they would just "Leeroy Jenkins" into a wall of paint...
LEEEEEEEEEROY!
HAHAHAHHAHAHA! Love that.
Lightsout777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:40 AM #155
AviatorMan
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro #66 View Post
I may have missed earlier that you wrote having to sit out between their games... is that what you're saying? That's certainly a manager's issue, and I can't get behind that sort of thing, particularly if your group is ready to play every time the other group leaves the field. That's really as simple as saying: "Hey, Mr. Paintballfieldowner, we're really not getting fair field time, what can be done about this?"

As far as comparing your early experiences with paintball to current newbies, I can only suggest that paintball has changed with the world. People are trying to be more understanding and inclusive than even 10 years ago, and while that isn't ideal for all personality types, it does foster more interest in the sport. Some people just need a softer or longer "breaking in" period.
That's actually exactly what we did. Multiple times in fact. But the refs and staff just let us sit around most of the day. Something that has actually occurred to me just today is that I'm lucky I at least had the 6 guys I met there to play with. Because I went alone, if they had not been there and I had been excluded in the same way, I would have gotten at most 3 rounds in before I was force to be done with the day because no one would let me play. Maybe the refs would have placed me in the end, but I can imagine it would be to protests from the renters.

As for the increased break in period, I can appreciate that, especially with a younger crowd, but I still fall back against the fact that this is a vicious and aggressive game, and I feel like coddling people too much will not improve their experience. Don't forget that there is going to be a time sooner rather than later in every player's career where they are going to be bunkered and the reality that they are going to get shot, a lot, and often at close range, is going to set in pretty quick and if they are too used to mild games without aggression, they are going to get pretty angry. Hell, I watched a guy almost shoot someone on Sunday because they accidentally hit his arm as the crossfire shifted while he was out and walking up the side of the field. I just think that if he realized that he was going to be shot, even if he's out, as long as he's on the field, then he wouldn't have had such a negative reaction. Of course, I also don't think people who react like that in the first place belong in a game where they have access to projectile firing weapons that, even shooting paintballs, have the potential to seriously harm someone. Then again, maybe I'm not the best ambassador for the sport because of this very reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsout777 View Post
LEEEEEEEEEROY!
HAHAHAHHAHAHA! Love that.
We've all seen them... I bet we've all even been them at least once or twice before we realized that making a long run out of cover straight at the opposing team is not a good idea... Some people just can't get that simple clue though

Last edited by AviatorMan : 12-14-2012 at 02:22 AM.
AviatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 PM #156
van457
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Or they could have split the 6 experienced guys up 3 per side....
van457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:37 PM #157
AviatorMan
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by van457 View Post
Or they could have split the 6 experienced guys up 3 per side....
We offered that every game and they said no...

I had a talk with some people at a local shop and from what they tell me, there is an unspoken policy at that place that they don't want advanced players to participate at all and they won't do anything to encourage them to stay or return. I don't know if that's the case, but it certainly felt that way. My point of view is that if they don't want me around because I have some experience, that is a desire I'll be happy to oblige. They didn't need my money anyway...
AviatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:43 PM #158
universal_dave
TIP#001
 
universal_dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago
Annual Supporting Member
universal_dave is playing at Living Legends VII
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
universal_dave has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Those were poor management decisions by the field...I would hope there are smarter operations within range of you.
__________________
DMc

Tim2Thousand4 is shady, his word doesn't mean anything. If you had a good experience with him, my opinion is that you got lucky.

Beautiful G6r for sale
universal_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 PM #159
AviatorMan
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
There are 3 other fields with good reputations within about a 30 min drive of me, but only this one is indoors. So the only reason to ever play here is cold weather or heavy rain, but I guess I can pass on those days...
AviatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 PM #160
Castro #66
Sniper Whisperer
 
Castro #66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
There's a good chance they felt beat up over the years with experienced players. A lot of fields that used to love taking advanced players and new ones alike are trying to keep those who have remained steady over the years. When all those tournament players quit between 2005-2010, fields were left out in the cold for a while before the very young took over. There is now a new separation of players created by this that causes experienced players to be left out in the cold and makes the jump from rec to tourney play harder to consider. It's not easy to explain, "guess you had to be there"...
__________________
Certified Master Airsmith
Airsmithing & 3rd Party Shipping - PM for details
Can't we all just play Paintball?


Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:59 AM #161
AviatorMan
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro #66 View Post
There's a good chance they felt beat up over the years with experienced players. A lot of fields that used to love taking advanced players and new ones alike are trying to keep those who have remained steady over the years. When all those tournament players quit between 2005-2010, fields were left out in the cold for a while before the very young took over. There is now a new separation of players created by this that causes experienced players to be left out in the cold and makes the jump from rec to tourney play harder to consider. It's not easy to explain, "guess you had to be there"...
So basically I'm suffering from something that happened while I was away? I kinda get what you mean though, since the tourney players would be the backbone upon which field business is built, and if they quit en mass, its a painful cut to the bottom line. That being said, it really sounds like sour grapes more than anything, and overall just bad business sense.

The funny thing about all of this is that I'm solidly a rec baller... I don't even like speedball or hyperball (don't know if that's what X-ball is or if that's something new), so getting lumped in with tourney players just because I bought a better gun and/or because I play aggressively has me really taken aback. All I want to do is be able to go out to the field every week or two and trade paint with people in different scenarios and yet I feel unwelcome because I'm not new. I'm hoping that other fields will be more inclusive, and I've heard good things about them, but the question is going to be whether the disgruntled renter attitude is going to carry over, and if it does, how will the staff deal with it.
AviatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 AM #162
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorMan View Post
We offered that every game and they said no...

I had a talk with some people at a local shop and from what they tell me, there is an unspoken policy at that place that they don't want advanced players to participate at all and they won't do anything to encourage them to stay or return.
Ah yes, the Horizon business model: Coddle the renters, drive away and discourage anyone who actually likes to shoot lots of paint.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:55 AM #163
universal_dave
TIP#001
 
universal_dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago
Annual Supporting Member
universal_dave is playing at Living Legends VII
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
universal_dave has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
Ah yes, the Horizon business model: Coddle the renters, drive away and discourage anyone who actually likes to shoot lots of paint.
It's really amusing to see you rail on about things you clearly don't understand.
__________________
DMc

Tim2Thousand4 is shady, his word doesn't mean anything. If you had a good experience with him, my opinion is that you got lucky.

Beautiful G6r for sale
universal_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:24 AM #164
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Not as amusing as watching you attach yourself to Horizon's nuts every chance you get.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:35 AM #165
rexisme
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NWI *219*
Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by universal_dave View Post
It's really amusing to see you rail on about things you clearly don't understand.
Right....

Or something that doesn't even remotely pertain to him.

Snake, if you're so business savvy when it comes to paintball, why don't you get off your broke *** and start a field? Why dont you attempt to manage one? Bring some change to the sport from such a perfect business sense......


Anyway, OP, did you explain to them you're just some guy that could afford gear?

Because there are fields that do only cater to the occasional weekend warrior. Why? Because in their demographic that is how they make their money. You have 2 other fields in the area? Maybe they cater to "your type" by your type I am just making a general statement so dont get upset.

So, now you have a group of people that want to play but go to the other fields and end up hitting a "wall of paint" so they dont go back or dont play anymore. They go to the field you were just at and play with everything equal, have a good time, get hooked on paintball, buy their own gear and move on to the other types of field. Everyone wins.

Personally, I wish fields like that existed around here. When I play recball, it honestly is no fun unless some of the regulars come out to play.
__________________
1/1 acid washed splashed luxe 2.0... No BL, No axes. If you have a negative IDC how high your feedback is. You're shipping 1st
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4048044

NOBAMA
rexisme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:16 PM #166
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexisme View Post
Snake, if you're so business savvy when it comes to paintball, why don't you get off your broke *** and start a field? Why dont you attempt to manage one? Bring some change to the sport from such a perfect business sense......
Simply put, paintball field ownership isn't profitable. At all. Lots of overhead/labour/maintenance costs, with not very much ROI.

Believe me, my *** aint broke. I'm just smart enough with my money to not pour it into a losing venture like a paintball field. I leave that to the field owners in my area, god bless em. The fields I happen to frequent get a lot of business from me; I bring new players a lot, I treat the renters with respect (not baby gloves) and I always buy a case or two when I go play.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:09 PM #167
rexisme
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NWI *219*
Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
Simply put, paintball field ownership isn't profitable. At all. Lots of overhead/labour/maintenance costs, with not very much ROI.

Believe me, my *** aint broke. I'm just smart enough with my money to not pour it into a losing venture like a paintball field. I leave that to the field owners in my area, god bless em. The fields I happen to frequent get a lot of business from me; I bring new players a lot, I treat the renters with respect (not baby gloves) and I always buy a case or two when I go play.
Interesting....

So, pretty much, when you tell other fields/owners how to conduct and price their business. You are pretty much full of ****ing **** then? Am I correct?

Because given the facts you state you already know the answers. Which would explain why the fields you lash out against do what they do. How dare you even give any input on any fields pricing/business strategy when you yourself just admitted you cannot find a way for it to be profitable running the way you claim your local fields are ran.

Just because you write properly on the internet does not mean that you are smart. You probably spend more time forming your answers than you did on your final papers in school.

So once again, before you spout off on how certain fields price at their establishment. Could you please tell us how to do it? I mean in your little ideal world where you get everything you want but the cook doesn't get to keep any. Please explain.
__________________
1/1 acid washed splashed luxe 2.0... No BL, No axes. If you have a negative IDC how high your feedback is. You're shipping 1st
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4048044

NOBAMA
rexisme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:18 PM #168
AviatorMan
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro #66 View Post
There's a good chance they felt beat up over the years with experienced players. A lot of fields that used to love taking advanced players and new ones alike are trying to keep those who have remained steady over the years. When all those tournament players quit between 2005-2010, fields were left out in the cold for a while before the very young took over. There is now a new separation of players created by this that causes experienced players to be left out in the cold and makes the jump from rec to tourney play harder to consider. It's not easy to explain, "guess you had to be there"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexisme View Post
Right....

Or something that doesn't even remotely pertain to him.

Snake, if you're so business savvy when it comes to paintball, why don't you get off your broke *** and start a field? Why dont you attempt to manage one? Bring some change to the sport from such a perfect business sense......


Anyway, OP, did you explain to them you're just some guy that could afford gear?

Because there are fields that do only cater to the occasional weekend warrior. Why? Because in their demographic that is how they make their money. You have 2 other fields in the area? Maybe they cater to "your type" by your type I am just making a general statement so dont get upset.

So, now you have a group of people that want to play but go to the other fields and end up hitting a "wall of paint" so they dont go back or dont play anymore. They go to the field you were just at and play with everything equal, have a good time, get hooked on paintball, buy their own gear and move on to the other types of field. Everyone wins.

Personally, I wish fields like that existed around here. When I play recball, it honestly is no fun unless some of the regulars come out to play.
I'm not upset that I'm being lumped in with tournament players. Ever since I started looking for a new gun and I pointed out that I'm probably never going to play competitively, virtually everyone I've talked to has dropped the "you never know" line on me. To be perfectly honest, I would love to only go up against people who play at or above my level, but so far I haven't found the place that does it yet. That being said, I've only played twice so far since I've been back, once outdoor and once indoor, but at the same company's fields, and it is winter, so maybe I'm just not to the right place yet.

As for trying to cater to various groups of people, there are better ways to do it than turning away potential sources of revenue. How about setting a policy that on open weekends, electro guns must be set to capped semi at 5bps. That's still faster than a Tippmann 98 can shoot (I think), but it would cut way down on the "wall of paint" that people are afraid of. Also, how about giving new players a crash course on what to expect and how to play rather than just giving them guns and sending them out on the field. A 15min lecture by a staff member explaining the ins and outs of the sport would definitely give people a way to overcome that initial "oh ****... I'm being shot at" feeling. Those are just a couple of ideas, but I think they would help mesh everyone together better.

As for not wanting to play anymore because you get shot too much, I still can't get past the idea that someone would pay money to play a game where you shoot at each other and then complain about getting shot. That's like taking up boxing and then complaining that you're getting punched. Simply put, if you're getting shot more than you want to be, ask the people around you what you're doing wrong... hell, when we were over there, even after they asked us to stop playing, we offered advice on how to be more effective and less of a target whenever we could and those people did become better. We are all friends here for the most part because the guy that just shot you last game could be your teammate this game, and even if he's not, there is a 99% chance that if you ask him for help, he'd tell you exactly what you could do next time to keep him from shooting you in the same way.
AviatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump