Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-20-2014, 01:46 AM #64
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

One time Brent, a friend of mine shot 50 cal. When he did there was a major earthquake and exactly sixteen planes fell out of the sky at once, and the sun exploded.

So I'm kinda sketchy on the whole .50 thing these days :/
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 PM #65
PB Innovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
One time Brent, a friend of mine shot 50 cal. When he did there was a major earthquake and exactly sixteen planes fell out of the sky at once, and the sun exploded.

So I'm kinda sketchy on the whole .50 thing these days :/
I was shooting a little .50 cal unit a friend of mine had a while back and after about 100 rounds the tree, did fall over.... OH but wait.... that was a lead 50 cal projectile...
So I guess if we dont live where earthquakes happen and stay out of planes, we will be ok... as long as we can stay warm
www.paintballinnovations.com
Looking for a New or Used Luxe-Shoot me a PM for Best Pricing!
www.dbspaintball.com
PB Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:43 PM #66
IanBritN57

I mean sure using a .50 when you first start is ok to get used to the .50 hits but you need to be able to take .68, its not that much worse. And really the .50 isnt crazy inexpensive either
IanBritN57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:04 PM #67
K CHEEKO
save a rock throw an ion

what about new players guys.50 cal.=less pain encouraging them to come back
K CHEEKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 AM #68
PB Innovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by K CHEEKO View Post
exactly, which will aslo help create growth in the sport as a whole.
www.paintballinnovations.com
Looking for a New or Used Luxe-Shoot me a PM for Best Pricing!
www.dbspaintball.com
PB Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:28 PM #69
brent148
Damage Control

brent148 plays in the APPA beginner division
brent148 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
brent148 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
brent148 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by K CHEEKO View Post
I agree with you but do you think that they will ever raise the fps max to match with 68 cal? Just wondering cause i don't think they should to keep 50 cal what it is.

PAP Rules!
brent148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:35 PM #70
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent148 View Post
I agree with you but do you think that they will ever raise the fps max to match with 68 cal? Just wondering cause i don't think they should to keep 50 cal what it is.
According to ASTM standards, both 50 cal and 68 cal (and any other caliber paintball) can be shot at a max. of 300 fps, so they are the same fps.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:07 AM #71
MagicDrafna

im going to start this by saying i have not read every comment but in my honest opinion one primary reason people hate .50 is simple their guns are designed to fire .68 along with their barrels.
People dont want to have to buy conversion kits or special barrels, they want to buy their gear at the pro shop one weekend and the next weekend be playing
MagicDrafna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:03 PM #72
MagicDrafna

see now thats smart. btw i so wish i would of gotten the chance to play at your field before i moved out of Seattle, congrats on setting up one hell of a field Doodlebug
MagicDrafna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:06 PM #73
doodlebugsportz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicDrafna View Post
see now thats smart. btw i so wish i would of gotten the chance to play at your field before i moved out of Seattle, congrats on setting up one hell of a field Doodlebug
thanks

Don-DoodleBug Sportz- NW Paintball At Its Best!
Paintball Innovations- 50 Caliber Solutions www.paintballinnovations.com
The Original NW Luxe Premier Dealer-In it from the beginning! www.doodlebugsportz.com
doodlebugsportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:13 AM #74
bob_wuzza

less mass = faster deceleration
Shell is relatively thicker
Old 03-10-2014, 02:40 AM #75
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Quote:
According to ASTM standards, both 50 cal and 68 cal (and any other caliber paintball) can be shot at a max. of 300 fps, so they are the same fps.
That only affects the USA. Most countries have better systems that take into account kinetic energy. Here in NZ for example there is nothing in our insurance or law to stop us shooting .50 cal at 450+fps (which negates the disadvantages, still leaves 300 as a good rental option). The only problem is that as long as the US standards remain illogical there won't be enough of a shift towards .50 to make it a serious option.

If .50 had been allowed at a decent fps from the start like it should be, it wouldn't have flopped the way it did. Heck it'd probably be very widely used by all kinds of ballers by now. So if you ask what killed .50 cal, I'll say "ATSM red tape". If you had our laws it'd be huge.

Last edited by vijil : 03-10-2014 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:12 AM #76
doodlebugsportz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_wuzza View Post
less mass = faster deceleration
Shell is relatively thicker
I believe the shell thickness of .68 is around .035" and from what I have found with .50 caliber, its around .021. Another thing to remember with .50 cal is that with its thinner shell, temperature and environment effect the ball faster than it does 68

Quote:
That only affects the USA. Most countries have better systems that take into account kinetic energy. Here in NZ for example there is nothing in our insurance or law to stop us shooting .50 cal at 450+fps (which negates the disadvantages, still leaves 300 as a good rental option). The only problem is that as long as the US standards remain illogical there won't be enough of a shift towards .50 to make it a serious option.

If .50 had been allowed at a decent fps from the start like it should be, it wouldn't have flopped the way it did. Heck it'd probably be very widely used by all kinds of ballers by now. So if you ask what killed .50 cal, I'll say "ATSM red tape". If you had our laws it'd be huge.
I agree for the most part, I believe that most countries use fps as the way to measure the speed of the ball, but use the physics to get the fps number based on the joules of energy. Here in the US, in trying to keep things simple, we had a formula, so they stuck with it.
I would say 50 cal would have been more viable to the tournament world if they would have allowed the higher fps, but in the recreational & field rental world, there really is no need for the higher velocities. I have found that once you get above the 325-350fps range, its hard to get a good shot pattern consistency anyway.
Back to what killed (not that its dead in the USA), I think it was the fact that it was introduced to the wrong group of players and there were no inexpensive options for players or field owners.
Btw- 45% of our private party groups are now 50 cal & I know of other sthat are seeing the same growth with it.

Don-DoodleBug Sportz- NW Paintball At Its Best!
Paintball Innovations- 50 Caliber Solutions www.paintballinnovations.com
The Original NW Luxe Premier Dealer-In it from the beginning! www.doodlebugsportz.com
doodlebugsportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:17 PM #77
CrusaderPB
Field, Pro Shop & Repairs

Annual Supporting Member
CrusaderPB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CrusaderPB supports Bob Gurnsey
CrusaderPB supports our troops
CrusaderPB has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CrusaderPB has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
CrusaderPB supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebugsportz View Post
I believe the shell thickness of .68 is around .035" and from what I have found with .50 caliber, its around .021. Another thing to remember with .50 cal is that with its thinner shell, temperature and environment effect the ball faster than it does 68

I agree for the most part, I believe that most countries use fps as the way to measure the speed of the ball, but use the physics to get the fps number based on the joules of energy. Here in the US, in trying to keep things simple, we had a formula, so they stuck with it.
I would say 50 cal would have been more viable to the tournament world if they would have allowed the higher fps, but in the recreational & field rental world, there really is no need for the higher velocities. I have found that once you get above the 325-350fps range, its hard to get a good shot pattern consistency anyway.
Back to what killed (not that its dead in the USA), I think it was the fact that it was introduced to the wrong group of players and there were no inexpensive options for players or field owners.
Btw- 45% of our private party groups are now 50 cal & I know of other sthat are seeing the same growth with it.
50 cal should have been marketed to fields in the beginning. A replacement for 68 caliber is ridiculous. But thinking about it now, playing 50 cal at 400fps in a tournament setting would be so much fun, I might just have to secure an ego 50 cal kit..

Anyway, 50 cal is the future for fields/rentals... tournament scene will catch up eventually.
Now a Planet Eclipse Service Center

Like us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter! Subscribe to our Thread!
CrusaderPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:50 PM #78
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Quote:
once you get above the 325-350fps range, its hard to get a good shot pattern consistency anyway
I wonder if that's at all due to the marker not being designed for it. If 400 was the standard for .50 and guns were built for it, perhaps things would be different. That said it's perfectly possible that gelatin capsules just aint so grand at that speed, in which case paint development could be an answer.

I've done a little more digging - pretty sure NZ law and insurance would actually allow us to shoot .68 at more like 600 if we wanted. Just that fields and people's skin tend to prefer sticking with international standards!
Old 03-10-2014, 04:08 PM #79
Horizon

Quote:
I wonder if that's at all due to the marker not being designed for it. If 400 was the standard for .50 and guns were built for it, perhaps things would be different. That said it's perfectly possible that gelatin capsules just aint so grand at that speed, in which case paint development could be an answer.

I've done a little more digging - pretty sure NZ law and insurance would actually allow us to shoot .68 at more like 600 if we wanted. Just that fields and people's skin tend to prefer sticking with international standards!
I've noticed that even 68 cal gets squirrelly the faster it is shot.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:43 PM #80
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

That it does - though maybe paint designed for it would be better.

I'm just mildly annoyed I guess. 50 cal at 400 would be amazing for high end paintball - magfed, tournament, everything. Fields could keep running 50 at 300, keeping things simple. But it can't happen mostly because of US law which indirectly means it can't happen anywhere else. The technical issues could be overcome.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:06 PM #81
Horizon

Quote:
That it does - though maybe paint designed for it would be better.

I'm just mildly annoyed I guess. 50 cal at 400 would be amazing for high end paintball - magfed, tournament, everything. Fields could keep running 50 at 300, keeping things simple. But it can't happen mostly because of US law which indirectly means it can't happen anywhere else. The technical issues could be overcome.
Shooting paint at 400 fps would require a fairly stable (firm) shell and being hit by a 50 cal paintball at 400 fps on bare skin, if the shell is not extremely fragile would probably not be a nice feeling, so I think there would be some technical issues to overcome.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 AM #82
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

In theory a .50 at 400 has less impact energy than a .68 at 300 - they don't match until about 450. The smaller area would make a difference but I can't see it being a major issue. Not sure how much difference the shells would make - airsoft seems to get on fine though it's not quite the same.

Like all things it would have to have been tested and researched. I don't know how it would have come out. The issue for me is that there would be potential there at the very least, if not for the laws.

Last edited by vijil : 03-13-2014 at 12:54 AM.