MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo87 View Post
Any hobby is like this, really. The one's that last are the one's that buy gear within their budget and focus on their own technique.
Exactly. I knew a guy who used a GZ timmy for about 10 years lol. He did quite fine with it too.

Black/Purple Spire F/s. Freshly updated from Virtue.
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 PM #45
borcky90

I for one sell stuff in my hobby to afford new gear. I can't drop 1000 dollars whenever I want on something so if I want a new tank, I have to sell my old one to help afford the new one, if I want a new gun....
borcky90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:08 PM #46
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by borcky90 View Post
I for one sell stuff in my hobby to afford new gear. I can't drop 1000 dollars whenever I want on something so if I want a new tank, I have to sell my old one to help afford the new one, if I want a new gun....
You know that every time you do that you are losing more and more money right?
Buy a gun for $1000. Sell it for $700.....$300 loss
Buy new gun for $1000. Sell that for $700......$300 loss on second gun. $600 loss in total.
So on and so on and so on.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:41 PM #47
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
KYhillbilly has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootdraxxus View Post
I just sold 4 markers: Tippmann A-5, Automag Classic, Ion XE, and Invert Mini. I loved tinkering and learning how they worked. I moved recently and despite all my nagging, my new friends do not want to paintball. Before I moved I was able to loan out my markers to people willing to play. I finally came to the realization that I would not be using all these guns often enough to justify keeping them. As much as I didn't want to let them go, I sold them to others who I hope will get more use out of them than I did.
I have some markers I loan out too but nothing really worth much. The best ones are a BT combat and 98 custom with aftermarket barrels. I also have a Spyder RS I use as a backup. I have only sold 1 marker and that was a cheap one I sold for what I paid for it to a cousin who wanted a cheap marker.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:27 PM #48
fosmanc
Team Boom!

fosmanc plays in the PSP
fosmanc plays in the APPA D4 division
fosmanc is All In
fosmanc is All In
Spending $1500 on a paintball gun is something most people don't understand until they own one them selves. I personally do because of the reliability, customer service, and just knowing that your gun will work perfectly fine every time you go to the field. They contain more features such as On/off ASA's, OLED boards, ergonomics, and more options for colors, and custom packages.
fosmanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:06 PM #49
MstrKey

guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosmanc View Post
Spending $1500 on a paintball gun is something most people don't understand until they own one them selves. I personally do because of the reliability, customer service, and just knowing that your gun will work perfectly fine every time you go to the field. They contain more features such as On/off ASA's, OLED boards, ergonomics, and more options for colors, and custom packages.
True......doing it twice a year or every year is silly though Save the money and buy more paint.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:44 PM #50
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D4 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
There are several reasons for selling a high-end marker.

1. You're required to buy a new gun for sponsorship reasons.
2. You prefer a different design.
3. You want the latest and greatest.
4. You want to downgrade.
5. You need money.

It's no different than cars, video games, or dirt bikes.
Reason 1 is so dumb for a lot of lower teams and younger guys .

The company is making a **** ton of money on your sponsorship they could care less .

2 your old gun isn't that much worse then the 2013 model they are selling you .

The best advice I have given teams Is to look at the cost benefit of taking sponsorship deals .

Like oh yeah but we also are getting a mask hopper and pants with the gun deal , and then say does everyone really want those masks hopper and different pants because they are severely lacking in that area (odds are no ), or they love the brand or style (rare also ). so then you pitch them do would you really want to blow 200$ on the soft goods or would you rather spend that on a night in a hotel and 2 cases driving to a different region to scrim teams you never play . Most younger teams always take the later they just won't always think of it on their own .

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:40 AM #51
DB-1071
ON THE SIDE OF ANGELS!!!!

DB-1071 is playing at Living Legends V
DB-1071 is playing at Living Legends VI
DB-1071 is playing at Living Legends VII
DB-1071 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
DB-1071 is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian P View Post
paintball markers are in the same class as cars. They drop in value as soon as you buy them. Don't believe the hype, it's better to buy used.
This is how I've lived my paintball life!!!

PBNation definition from Urban Dictionary:
A web site where, on any given evening, one may find approximately 500 paintball enthusiasts discussing the sport, and 1500 teenagers calling each other gay.

GO ON, I DARE YOU!! GO ON I DARE YOU, AGAIN!!!
" Physician heal thyself!! " The War Doctor
DB-1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:39 PM #52
MstrKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post
Reason 1 is so dumb for a lot of lower teams and younger guys .

The company is making a **** ton of money on your sponsorship they could care less .

2 your old gun isn't that much worse then the 2013 model they are selling you .

The best advice I have given teams Is to look at the cost benefit of taking sponsorship deals .

Like oh yeah but we also are getting a mask hopper and pants with the gun deal , and then say does everyone really want those masks hopper and different pants because they are severely lacking in that area (odds are no ), or they love the brand or style (rare also ). so then you pitch them do would you really want to blow 200$ on the soft goods or would you rather spend that on a night in a hotel and 2 cases driving to a different region to scrim teams you never play . Most younger teams always take the later they just won't always think of it on their own .
Exactly....most sponsorship deals in paintball are a joke. They're just discounts on gear. Gear you most likely don't need anyway so what good is the sponsorship? In many cases you'd be better off hitting up some local businesses. They may actually give you money to play under their name. Like "Jacks cars wash bandits" or something. It's rare but it happens and is at least worth something to you both. Their money gets you tournament entry fees(or whatever) and they get advertising. Fair exchange.

Buying gear you don't need is an added cost with no benefit to your team. The manufacturer however, gets to sell you gear for a profit AND now you're toting their products. So essentially, you've paid them to advertise their gear. USE YOUR HEADS!

Of all the sponsor deals I've ever had in my life, NONE of them did I have to buy anything. J&J gave us free barrels back in the day, and we put their logo on our banners and jerseys. Win/win.

Focus paintball paid our entry fees, gave us custom uniforms and matching gear....and we hit up all kinds of tournaments we'd never have been able to go to otherwise to advertise and promote skyball.

Bunkers Paintball paid entry fees into various tournaments and in return we wore their jerseys, sold/delivered/promoted their field and wholesale paint sales. win/win.

There have been other small deals here and there not worth mentioning now but you get the drift.