Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2016, 09:15 PM #1
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter
 
d4rksabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
 has been a member for 10 years
Teach me about the lifespan of electros

Simply put, I've been at this hobby for probably 15 years, and I've used an electro maybe twice. I won't say I didn't like it, because if I didn't, I wouldn't be here looking for some advice. But I think what seems to have kept me away from them for so long is the perception that they depreciate in value very quickly.

I'm a vintage gear guy. I've always had fun chasing down o-rings for VM-68s, or springs for Tippmann Pro-Ams, but I can do that knowing that those markers for the most part aren't going to lose much more value than they already have.

But I find myself looking at something like the new Shocker and thinking "where are all the old Shockers? What about the old Angels I remember everyone obsessing over?" Can anyone get parts anymore? Or do these guns become formerly $1000 MSRP hunks of junk after only a five or six years?

I'm curious about the long term viability of an electro marker. I'd love one. I'm getting older and lazier and really don't have the patience these days for fussing with trying to clean any number of older markers. I'd like something modern.

But are there companies out there supporting their old models? Will DYE still sell parts for a DM14 in 2020 or will that marker be worthless junk?

Teach me, oh children of the new age. What do I have to look forward to as an electro owner over the long term?
__________________
YETTTIIIII!

THE MOB
Western NY's Least Serious Paintball Team
Be indifferent about us on Faeceb°°k
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2016, 10:20 PM #2
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.
 
Fubarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Richmond, WI
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Well, on Dye's site they seem to have parts going back to the DM6 for the DM series, and the PMR 09 on the Proto line (alas, no love for my old PMR 07).

So they do support the old stuff, just not the really old stuff. But sometimes you can still source parts from other places. Most solenoids are pretty standard industrial parts for example, and an o-ring is an o-ring.

Prices do drop considerably. I picked up a 98 Angel LED for $200 a number of years ago, and I've seen them cheaper since. Still works pretty darn good considering. On those if the built in battery goes bad it's tricky to find a replacement, but fans have found workarounds.

Others can get collectible.
__________________
David Johnson, AKA Fubarius.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:03 AM #3
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter
 
d4rksabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
Well, on Dye's site they seem to have parts going back to the DM6 for the DM series, and the PMR 09 on the Proto line (alas, no love for my old PMR 07).

So they do support the old stuff, just not the really old stuff. But sometimes you can still source parts from other places. Most solenoids are pretty standard industrial parts for example, and an o-ring is an o-ring.

Prices do drop considerably. I picked up a 98 Angel LED for $200 a number of years ago, and I've seen them cheaper since. Still works pretty darn good considering. On those if the built in battery goes bad it's tricky to find a replacement, but fans have found workarounds.

Others can get collectible.
Fubarius, glad to see a fellow MCBer over here as well.

I've been tossing around the idea of opting for something older and used but still perfectly functional, but I am concerned about things like eyes and boards. Am I relegated to parts-gun hunting with stuff like that, just as I would on any old marker? Or is some of this stuff compatible across makes and models?

I see that I can buy entire repair kits for old Dye markers going back to the DM9. That's a major thumbs up from me. A used DM9 and a parts kit is more up my alley than buying something outright new.
__________________
YETTTIIIII!

THE MOB
Western NY's Least Serious Paintball Team
Be indifferent about us on Faeceb°°k

Last edited by d4rksabre : 04-05-2016 at 08:18 AM.
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:16 AM #4
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See
 
Soul06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NY ((718)) NY
 has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Ninja Paintball
Most of the high end marker companies are the same when it comes to parts. You aren't out looking for a small part like an o-ring or detent. You buy a kit that contains multiples of all the o-rings and other small replaceable parts. And for the most part that likely all you will ever need to change
__________________
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts" ~ POTUS

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:57 AM #5
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter
 
d4rksabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
Most of the high end marker companies are the same when it comes to parts. You aren't out looking for a small part like an o-ring or detent. You buy a kit that contains multiples of all the o-rings and other small replaceable parts. And for the most part that likely all you will ever need to change
That's what I'm seeing when I look around. Basically, buy a marker and buy the biggest parts kit that they sell and hope your parts kit keeps the marker running for 5-10 years.
__________________
YETTTIIIII!

THE MOB
Western NY's Least Serious Paintball Team
Be indifferent about us on Faeceb°°k
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:35 AM #6
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See
 
Soul06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NY ((718)) NY
 has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Ninja Paintball
Most markers now will work for 5-10 years easily anyway. I think you have the wrong idea about the longevity of markers today. They are well built and will last. You'll likely only have to change a couple o-rings and detents at best. 10 years is a relatively easy mark to reach for them today
__________________
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts" ~ POTUS

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:57 AM #7
(dr)
shootyball
 
(dr)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Houston
(dr) supports DLX Technology
IMO electros are only devalued by the fact that new versions are released more frequently. Look at Vikings, it took them years to come down because they don't have a new model every World Cup like Dye does with DMs.

I say just enjoy it and get yourself a cheap, well made electro and an Oring kit.
(dr) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:26 PM #8
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter
 
d4rksabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
 has been a member for 10 years
Good stuff here guys. You may be calming my nerves about making the jump. I appreciate it!
__________________
YETTTIIIII!

THE MOB
Western NY's Least Serious Paintball Team
Be indifferent about us on Faeceb°°k
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:14 PM #9
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.
 
Fubarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Richmond, WI
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
You may want to look into a more vintage electro. The already mentioned AKA Viking (and the closed bolt version, the Excalibur) keep up with just about everything new in every category except weight (yeah, they're bricks, but still light compared to a VM). They have a loyal fan base, the company that made them was bought by the company that did most of the custom work on them, so service and parts are still generally available, and the price as pretty much stabilized. Not too hard to pick up a used one and sell it for nearly the exact same price later. Prices range from $400 for a clean bone stock model, with the custom milled ones fetching up to twice that.

My 04 Viking, which I've never taken apart, still shoots great. Heck, had a 2 year stretch where I didn't even have to adjust the velocity. My go to electro. Only problem is the gun was made right in the middle of the ROF wars, so it's default mode is uncapped semi. Most of the normal walk-on play around here is going to a capped semi, so I may have to upgrade the board at some point (or just run a revi on the thing, that tends to keep the ROF below the limit).
__________________
David Johnson, AKA Fubarius.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:56 PM #10
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter
 
d4rksabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
You may want to look into a more vintage electro. The already mentioned AKA Viking (and the closed bolt version, the Excalibur) keep up with just about everything new in every category except weight (yeah, they're bricks, but still light compared to a VM). They have a loyal fan base, the company that made them was bought by the company that did most of the custom work on them, so service and parts are still generally available, and the price as pretty much stabilized. Not too hard to pick up a used one and sell it for nearly the exact same price later. Prices range from $400 for a clean bone stock model, with the custom milled ones fetching up to twice that.

My 04 Viking, which I've never taken apart, still shoots great. Heck, had a 2 year stretch where I didn't even have to adjust the velocity. My go to electro. Only problem is the gun was made right in the middle of the ROF wars, so it's default mode is uncapped semi. Most of the normal walk-on play around here is going to a capped semi, so I may have to upgrade the board at some point (or just run a revi on the thing, that tends to keep the ROF below the limit).
Your vote of confidence for AKA is noted. I've got a Sidewinder reg on a low pressure A5 project and when I needed to order parts for it a while back I was able to do so despite their being in the middle of transition to new ownership by Destructive Customs.

I think I have a better idea of what I want to do now.
__________________
YETTTIIIII!

THE MOB
Western NY's Least Serious Paintball Team
Be indifferent about us on Faeceb°°k
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:05 PM #11
Moore92
The Beard is Strong
 
Moore92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Toledo, Oh
Annual Supporting Member
Moore92 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Moore92 supports Ninja Paintball
Just fixed a "hopeless" 05 RL Intimidator, now it shoots like new. They last a while if properly maintained. Usually it's just generic parts, orings, barbs, hoses, screws. Stuff you can get anywhere. If it's a marker specific part, usually online stores have the old stock in the warehouse, they just don't post it online. You just call and ask.
__________________
Old time paintball coach!

Black Swamp Eliminatorz #92
Moore92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:55 PM #12
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter
 
d4rksabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
 has been a member for 10 years
Any thoughts on the G6R? Prices on those don't seem too bad.
__________________
YETTTIIIII!

THE MOB
Western NY's Least Serious Paintball Team
Be indifferent about us on Faeceb°°k
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:55 AM #13
Moore92
The Beard is Strong
 
Moore92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Toledo, Oh
Annual Supporting Member
Moore92 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Moore92 supports Ninja Paintball
My buddy just bought a g6r from someone at our field. $300. Its a sweet gun. He loves it.
__________________
Old time paintball coach!

Black Swamp Eliminatorz #92
Moore92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:27 PM #14
BallsAcrossUrNose
 
 
BallsAcrossUrNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles
 has been a member for 10 years
I own a Few markers from 05-O7
Shocker 07 NXT Dynasty Team Gun from Angel Highly Upped
Angel O5 Speed bought new
25k Alias Team Infamous Laysoa Owned
DM 5 Baltimore Trauma Team Gun
All still Shoot Lazers with some Dow 33 Change out O-rings to new Colored ones

Last edited by BallsAcrossUrNose : 04-10-2016 at 03:31 PM.
BallsAcrossUrNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:45 AM #15
Texas Shockers
DAMN were in a tight spot
 
Texas Shockers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Irving / TTU
Texas Shockers is playing at Living Legends V
Texas Shockers is for the Gunfight
Texas Shockers is for the Gunfight
Texas Shockers has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Texas Shockers is attending Decay of Nations VI
the old shockers (sft and nxt) are still pretty strong

there is a giant shocker community on nation and parts are usually pretty easy to find

you can pick one up from anywhere to 100 to 500 depending on what condition and features you want. with a sprung bolt (eigin or pooty) it's pretty much a heavy luxe
__________________
etek3 for shocker

cheap gear
Texas Shockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:46 PM #16
jonotwist
fistfull o'sunshine & joy
 
jonotwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NE ohio
Annual Supporting Member
jonotwist is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rksabre View Post
Any thoughts on the G6R? Prices on those don't seem too bad.
if youre looking at a g6r the only concern you might have for "hard to find parts"
would be the solenoid, eyes and harness.

for the most part its no issue. due to the deign of the gun and the
way it pulls apart. its a solid shooter especially at the price it can be had for,
__________________

Breakout Actions Sports Wenies Buy Elsewhere
WTB Landshark Edition BL Victory
jonotwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:11 PM #17
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter
 
d4rksabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
 has been a member for 10 years
Thanks for all the help guys. Just sold a Phantom and some other stuff on eBay. I think an AKA is in my future because I'm still just a nerd who like weird guns.
__________________
YETTTIIIII!

THE MOB
Western NY's Least Serious Paintball Team
Be indifferent about us on Faeceb°°k
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:25 PM #18
theflash
 
 
theflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Canukistan
theflash is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
My 04 Angel speed continues to be my main gun and it flies. Replaced the LPR with the AKA SCM, have a predator board with 9v, put an Eclipse SL3 reg on it - so obviously don't have to worry about shims or proprietary battery. Even the ram I can fix myself with the only wear item as o-rings. I'm still using the stock valve stem... lol it's 12 years old and still seals, but I can make that myself if I ever need to. Have a custom delrin hammer in there for even lower kick with an adjustable valve spring set-up I made myself. There's really nothing that can go wrong that I can't just change an o-ring or mill/machine myself with minimal effort. But really, I haven't had to do anything but o-rings. Still on original solenoid, but I've already figured out which ones I can buy right now if I need one. Just do your research.

And seriously, compared to some of my other guns it's so worth it. The consistency and therefore accuracy is world's difference for me. There are tonnes of old Angels around. I remember the first gun I ever used was a VM-68 at a b-day party!
__________________
Why I will never buy anything GoG, Shocker Paintball or DLX (Luxe): http://www.reddit.com/r/paintball/co...rse_a_gog_gun/

Last edited by theflash : 04-15-2016 at 05:38 PM.
theflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:35 AM #19
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter
 
d4rksabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflash View Post
My 04 Angel speed continues to be my main gun and it flies. Replaced the LPR with the AKA SCM, have a predator board with 9v, put an Eclipse SL3 reg on it - so obviously don't have to worry about shims or proprietary battery. Even the ram I can fix myself with the only wear item as o-rings. I'm still using the stock valve stem... lol it's 12 years old and still seals, but I can make that myself if I ever need to. Have a custom delrin hammer in there for even lower kick with an adjustable valve spring set-up I made myself. There's really nothing that can go wrong that I can't just change an o-ring or mill/machine myself with minimal effort. But really, I haven't had to do anything but o-rings. Still on original solenoid, but I've already figured out which ones I can buy right now if I need one. Just do your research.

And seriously, compared to some of my other guns it's so worth it. The consistency and therefore accuracy is world's difference for me. There are tonnes of old Angels around. I remember the first gun I ever used was a VM-68 at a b-day party!
I miss my VM-68 I ran 3 bottles on it.

Angels have the weird nostalgia value for me. I see an Angel and it takes me back to being a kid in the late 90s and reading about them in Paintball Magazine. The Angel LCD might as well have been Thor's Hammer.
__________________
YETTTIIIII!

THE MOB
Western NY's Least Serious Paintball Team
Be indifferent about us on Faeceb°°k
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:12 AM #20
automagsrule
LOIC
 
automagsrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Monkey Island
I still use the pm6 in my sig as my primary electro. Keeping it running for the past decade has been pretty easy, other than the eyes are starting to take a bit of effort to find when they go, but a lot of people convert to wire eyes instead of the stock ribbons and then it's much simpler to find.

The field I play at a number of old 2nd Gen timmies and aka guns and such still see pretty regular use and no one complains about any problems with keeping their gun maintained and shooting.
automagsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:38 AM #21
jtguy2269
PL gun collector
 
jtguy2269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Bend, Oregon
 has been a member for 10 years
Parts for aka are fairly easy to come by still. If you need someone to service your marker for you at any point look at the community rather then aka. they will get parts out fast, but will be a nightmare for service/repair.
jtguy2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump