PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 PM #1
ILKx

ILKx supports Team VICIOUS
ILKx is attending Decay of Nations VI
confused about tank pressure, regulator pressure, etc

Im getting my first 4500 tank and i dont understand the whole output pressure thing.

first question, what effect does a high pressure output in a tanks regulator have on the gun. does a high pressure run out of air faster than a low pressure? is it more consistent?

second question, does a regulator completely tone down a pressure to a certain psi? i got a drone dx that uses a gladiator reg in a giveaway and im not sure how the regulator works since its my first electric. the manual says its operating pressure is 100psi

third question, in what case should someone use a low pressure and in what case a high pressure?

Last edited by ILKx : 11-20-2012 at 11:08 PM.
ILKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 PM #2
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
The 4500 psi is the maximum pressure that the tank can hold.

The output pressure is done by the regulator on the tank. High pressure is around 800 psi and it goes down from there, with Super Low Pressure (SLP) around 250 psi. Most mid range to high end markers can use any pressure, but certain ones like the G6R and Victory have to use low pressure or SLP. In terms of running out of air, there is no difference between high pressure and low pressure.

The 100 psi is the operating pressure of the marker. This is controlled by the regulator(s) on the gun itself, which on the drone is the HPR.

I sort of answered your third question. Most mid range to high end guns can use either. Low pressure has to be used on certain high end markers but can usually be used on all mid to high end markers. High pressure has to be used on lower end markers (spyder, tippmann, etc).

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 PM #3
ILKx

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyballer099639 View Post
The 4500 psi is the maximum pressure that the tank can hold.

The output pressure is done by the regulator on the tank. High pressure is around 800 psi and it goes down from there, with Super Low Pressure (SLP) around 250 psi. Most mid range to high end markers can use any pressure, but certain ones like the G6R and Victory have to use low pressure or SLP. In terms of running out of air, there is no difference between high pressure and low pressure.

The 100 psi is the operating pressure of the marker. This is controlled by the regulator(s) on the gun itself, which on the drone is the HPR.

I sort of answered your third question. Most mid range to high end guns can use either. Low pressure has to be used on certain high end markers but can usually be used on all mid to high end markers. High pressure has to be used on lower end markers (spyder, tippmann, etc).
so with the regulator, is every shot going to use only 100psi?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 PM #4
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILKx View Post
so with the regulator, is every shot going to use only 100psi?
Sort of. Every shot is going to be propelled by 100psi, if that's what you mean, but every shot is not going to use 100psi of tank pressure. Higher pressure=lower volume, by the Ideal Gas Law and some other physics proofs I don't care to work out...so the higher the pressure the marker uses, the less gas per shot it will use. A marker shooting at 800psi is going to use less air per shot than a marker shooting 100psi because it'll take more air to accelerate the ball to 300fps than something with a much higher pressure.

Quick thing here, too: low-ends like Tippmanns can be converted to lower pressure (300-ish) which improves efficiency and consistency, but high-ends do work better at lower pressure anyways.

Hope that helped!
Noah

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:58 PM #5
marceldacs

marceldacs is playing at Living Legends VI
marceldacs owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
marceldacs has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Im getting a drone in 3 weeks along with a ninja adjustable reg tank. Can i leave my tank on the highest output pressure setting? The output pressure of the tank doesn't matter at all for the drone right? Also this is off topic but ILKx, since you have the drone dx, how does the trigger feel, is it walkable?
marceldacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:05 AM #6
gamer565
Place ran by hypocrites

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by marceldacs View Post
Im getting a drone in 3 weeks along with a ninja adjustable reg tank. Can i leave my tank on the highest output pressure setting? The output pressure of the tank doesn't matter at all for the drone right? Also this is off topic but ILKx, since you have the drone dx, how does the trigger feel, is it walkable?
You need to read the manual for the marker and make sure you are using the recommended tank output pressure.

gamer565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:50 AM #7
marceldacs

marceldacs is playing at Living Legends VI
marceldacs owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
marceldacs has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
the manual doesn't have anything on the recommended tank output pressure. Some people say that their's doesn't work with hp. It definetely won't hurt to put it on lp though. WHat is the low pressure psi? Is it like 500ish?
marceldacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 AM #8
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tonycon supports our troops
tonycon is Legendary
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
If you take all the shims out of a ninja adjustable reg you are around 420-450 psi...

Proudly Sponsored By:
PBExplosion VirtueSpire Valken Paintball

KnuckleHeads Paintball Team
Game footage
tonycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:22 PM #9
ILKx

Quote:
Great trigger, 3 point adjustable, but wobbles slightly on the sides. no big deal, its a solid trigger
Old 11-21-2012, 01:01 PM #10
LS1SB

Quote:
the manual doesn't have anything on the recommended tank output pressure. Some people say that their's doesn't work with hp. It definetely won't hurt to put it on lp though. WHat is the low pressure psi? Is it like 500ish?
My suggestion is go to the MacDev thread and post the same question there. I did see a Drone DX FAQ sticky.
LS1SB is offline   Reply With Quote