PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-24-2012, 09:50 PM #1
PistolPaul2
Be Nice, Have fun

PistolPaul2 is playing at Living Legends VI
Winter paintballing. Need advice

I will be paintballing int the winter for the first time this year. Are there any real noticeable changes between winter and summer play? What would be good clothes to wear under my jersey and pants. Do goggles fog easier? Smaller bore size? Is there a possibility that my board might get ruined? Pretty much any advice you can give me will be helpful
PistolPaul2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 PM #2
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

paint definitely gets more brittle.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:07 PM #3
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Up here outdoor play pretty much shuts down when the snow flies. It's a real pain. Paint reactions to the cold varies from brand to brand (and changes with each adjustment to the formula). I've seen paint crack while sitting on a table due to the cold. I've also seen the fill turn to jello (luckily I haven't seen that in a while, scary stuff). Some brands change their formula with the season, so don't use that paint you bought back in July if you can help it.

If you're getting brittle paint that's breaking in the barrel try going up in bore size.

CO2 powered guns will act way differently. You've basically gone from a 800-900 psi output tank in the summer to possibly a 200-300 psi output tank if its crazy cold. Many blowbacks will fail to recock, especially stacked tube designs. Inline designs (tippmanns) will fare better, though cyclone feeds will stop working before the gun fails to recock. HPA systems will fortunatly work the same in any temperature.

Lubes and grease will get thicker, so spool valve guns will need some adjustments to work correctly. Most poppits seem to have no issue (my Viking ran perfectly in even the coldest weather). Boards and solenoids usually have no issue with the cold, assuming there is no water on/in them.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 AM #4
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Only thing you really need to worry about is the paint becoming very brittle. Otherwise you can play year round. If you are shooting a spool you may experience a little difficulty though. Depends on the marker.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:55 AM #5
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Example of paint being brittle: I've been shooting all summer through my Lurker .678 with no breaks at all. Then last weekend the fall wether starts creeping in a bit. I pick up a case of Evil, and was getting 1 break per game. Switched to a .684 and it broke less, but still a few times.

Paint is extremely sensitive to temperature changes, especially tourney level stuff with thin shells.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 AM #6
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER
Example of paint being brittle: I've been shooting all summer through my Lurker .678 with no breaks at all. Then last weekend the fall wether starts creeping in a bit. I pick up a case of Evil, and was getting 1 break per game. Switched to a .684 and it broke less, but still a few times.

Paint is extremely sensitive to temperature changes, especially tourney level stuff with thin shells.
I dot think I would even touch Evil paint in anything under 80 degree weather with low humidity lol. On cold days give me the ever so slightly lower than mid grade rec stuff

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:05 AM #7
Nahib_Stilgar

Dress in layers. A thermal/wicking layer next to your skin, then a thicker fleace or wool. NEVER wear cotton.

Same goes for socks. And have extras.

Gloves, multiple pairs. Those hand warmers are nice.

Eat. Don't eat sugar, eat carbs and protine to keep you going. your body will be burning energy to stay warm and will require the fuel.

Drink. Water! not sugary stuff. you may not be thursty like you are on a hot day but your body still needs the fluids.

Keep moving. If your cold between games, do jumping jacks or something...

Bring Dry clothes and shoes for after.
Nahib_Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 AM #8
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
I dot think I would even touch Evil paint in anything under 80 degree weather with low humidity lol. On cold days give me the ever so slightly lower than mid grade rec stuff
Yep. Thicker shells! I usually shoot Inka Copper, which is low-medium grade. Never a problem. That case of Evil was an impulse buy, since I had never shot it before and was curious.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:08 PM #9
holson72

holson72 posts videos on PbNation
holson72 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
A short review I did last year for Nelson winter paint.

Ok guys, so here's how this started. I'm a West Texan that is in Ohio/Indiana for work this year. As such, I have never had to even consider cold weather paintball. However, two weekends ago, the temperature was hovering around 45* and I barrel breaks with RPS Premium paint in every gun I had.

Having heard of Blizzard and Polar Ice I was going to try them. However, the shipment of Blizzard the store had was almost cube-like and Polar Ice was $57/case, so I thought I'd look for a cheaper alternative. On a whim, I called Nelson to see if they had winter paint, and as luck would have it, they did. I ordered a case of Hot Spot winter and Nelsplat winter directly from the factory.

Fast forward to Sunday 11/28/10. The ambient temp was 35-40*. I began the day switching between Nelsplat, Hot Spot, and RPS Premium. That was short lived, however as the Premium almost consistently resulted in barrel breaks in any gun. So, I began shooting Hot Spot and Nelsplat only. The Nelsplat seemed to be a straighter shooting ball, but the Hot Spot I got was slighly dimpled so every few balls would result in a "flier". The Nelsplat worked very well until the temperature dropped to 37*. Almost like a light switch, my Orracle broke almost every Nelsplat ball fired. However, Nelsplat continued to work flawlessly in the Ego and Shocker. Since cockers use paint to barrel match to prevent rollouts, I would suspect this was the cause of the breakage. After that, I switched to Hot Spot only in the Orracle, but kept alternating betweel Nelsplat and Hot Spot in the Ego and Shocker. Here's the short version. Hot Spot had NO barrel breaks for the entire day in any temp between 35-40*. The Nelsplat only had barrel breaks in the Orracle below 37*, but had NO barrel breaks in the Ego or Shocker regardless of temperature.

Regarding breaking on target: both Hot Spot and Nelsplat broke as expected on targets. There was not excessive "bouncing" with these paints. Many of the players were wearing additional clothing because of the weather, so some bouncing was to be expected, but I was not disappointed with the paint.

The paint was ~.682-.684 - Also, this paint sat outside during the course of the day (12:30 pm to 4:30 pm) and was not in a cab, cooler, etc. No paint or gun was "warmed" at any point after it was taken out of the vehicle at 12:20 pm.

Here's the specs on the guns used:

Orracle:
E2 blade, Halo V35 hopper set at 4 green blinks, chrono'd at 285 fps, the gun's ROF was not slowed down below it's 15 bps capable timing; but the highest ROF of the day was 12 bps, barrel was a Kaner with a .684 back (side note: I would like to retest Nelsplat at a below 37* temp with the gun's capable ROF slowed down, with a larger barrel bore, and then with both changes)

Ego8:
Dwell 14.0 ms, LPR 1 turn in from flush, chrono'd at 285 fps, uncapped semi (went as fast as 12 bps), Rotor hopper, .693 stock Shaft barrel.

Shocker NXT:
Don't remember the settings as the gun's settings haven't been changed in 2 years (except I bumped dwell and abs up a little for the cold weather 2 weeks ago), chrono'd at 285 fps, freak barrel with AA front with .687 insert, Halo V35 set at 4 green blinks, uncapped semi, ROF achieved during the day is unknown, but I would speculate 12 bps also.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:02 PM #10
fuelnfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
I shot evil without a single chop with a sliiight 0.003 underbored (no roll throughs) Shaft 4 on my Clone GT, arid, cold, 22 degrees celcius (round 71 fahrenheit) ran through a case and a bag. Fired one hopper of diablo heat, proceeded to break two balls the next game. I've been using FPO dxs basic training for the last two years, when my local field started selling evil for 60 a case I nearly screamed (the basic training is 50...)
fuelnfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:54 PM #11
Sqratch

Great advice here. Thanks guys.
Sqratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:23 PM #12
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

Holson has a great review. I would add in from arctic survival training to wear loose clothing and to wear the least amount of layers as possible. Nahib_stilgar is correct in the layers. When you feel like you are going to sweat, shed off a layer. Sometimes it will even mean that you are wearing a t-shirt when there is snow everywhere. It all depends on how much movement you make and how well your body is acclimated to the cold weather. If you wear too much clothing too fast, your body is not going to acclimate to the cold as well. If you wear all your thick clothing in 30 degrees, what are you going to wear when it's -55? Movement creates heat. If you are sitting around, trying to "snipe" someone or a backman, I would suggest wearing all of your layers. If you are a frontman, you might end up in a t-shirt. The adrenaline feels unreal in a t-shirt. If you can afford it, you might want to buy waterproof goretex pants if there is snow or it is wet. Breathable waterproof goretex shoes are a plus if you can afford them.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 09-25-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:22 AM #13
mexi ca40k
Pump Playa

mexi ca40k is playing at Living Legends V
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k supports Pev's Paintball
mexi ca40k has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k is attending Decay of Nations VI
I find goggles fog easier, but if you are using thermals it won't affect you much.
mexi ca40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 PM #14
Funky Mo Fo
Funky Since 1979

Funky Mo Fo is BST Trusted
Funky Mo Fo owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Funky Mo Fo plays in the APPA beginner division
Funky Mo Fo has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Funky Mo Fo has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subterfuge
Holson has a great review. I would add in from arctic survival training to wear loose clothing and to wear the least amount of layers as possible. Nahib_stilgar is correct in the layers. When you feel like you are going to sweat, shed off a layer. Sometimes it will even mean that you are wearing a t-shirt when there is snow everywhere. It all depends on how much movement you make and how well your body is acclimated to the cold weather. If you wear too much clothing too fast, your body is not going to acclimate to the cold as well. If you wear all your thick clothing in 30 degrees, what are you going to wear when it's -55? Movement creates heat. If you are sitting around, trying to "snipe" someone or a backman, I would suggest wearing all of your layers. If you are a frontman, you might end up in a t-shirt. The adrenaline feels unreal in a t-shirt. If you can afford it, you might want to buy waterproof goretex pants if there is snow or it is wet. Breathable waterproof goretex shoes are a plus if you can afford them.
You will want at least 3 layers. A close to the skin wicking layer like Under Armor, an insulating layer like a fleece, and a shell to keep you water proof. If you get wet, you get cold. If you are starting to heat up, take off the fleece. If you are wearing one thick loose layer, you can't take off a layer. I agree with Subterfuge that movement will make your tolerance for cold much higher. Shedding a layer before you sweat is important, because as I said, wet=cold.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:53 PM #15
M6Dean

M6Dean owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
M6Dean has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
M6Dean has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
my local field is 364 days a year with only christmas being their day off. i will be doing some winter ball this year, i think the extra gloves would be the best idea

Empire E-Vent/ Vforce Profiler
Empire Contact tz olive jersey and pants
M6Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:14 PM #16
universal_dave
TIP#001

Annual Supporting Member
universal_dave is playing at Living Legends VII
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
universal_dave has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Bring a spare pair of shoes and however many layers of socks you're wearing. It's not uncommon to have unfrozen water and it's not always clear how deep it goes...one bad step and your foot is soaked to the bone and it's a *really* uncomfortable day. If that happens, change your footwear.

Tim2Thousand4 is shady, his word doesn't mean anything. If you had a good experience with him, my opinion is that you got lucky.

Beautiful G6r for sale
universal_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:59 PM #17
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Play indoor

I play at: Urban Assault, McDonald, PA - Steeltown, Etna, PA - Three Rivers Paintball, Freedom, Pa
I don't drink like I used to, but I shoot more kids and have a better time.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:07 AM #18
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
I love playing in the cold, and we play in the fall/winter/spring, so snow games are common at Trails of Doom.

I always store my gear inside before a cold weather game (I consider a cold weather game below 32 degrees) I have played as cold as 5 degrees F, I don't have any experience below that tempurature.

I air up my A-5, remote coil and leave pressure in my coil as I go outside. This expands the seals while the gun is still warm and will save you a bunch of leaky seal issues. I also use silicone O-rings, as they work better in very cold temperatures.

Then I use a cooler, and inside the cooler I put one of those neck heating pads which I heat up in the microwave, and then wrap in a towel at the bottom of my cooler. I then take all my stored bagged paint and put it in my pods, which I store in my cooler stacked vertically so I can remove them easily. I also stack up my extra C02 tanks, (the colder it is, the less shots you get per Co2 tanks as they will freeze up). So keeping them as close to 70 degrees is critical as they work better warm.

Then I put my gun in their minus the barrel. If you haven't adjusted your A-5 quick release for the barrel do that. I have mine set so that I can adjust my apex without the barrel turning, but I can also grab the barrel and twist it off easily. This is part of dialing in your gun that will really help you when you need to clean out your barrel.

Cold paint breaks easier than warm paint. Also as it gets colder it will fly more inconsistantly. So keeping warm paint is critical for accuracy. Playing in severe cold makes this harder than usual. So I typically switch paint after every game, putting what is left back into the cooler to let it warm back up, and putting in fresh warm paint for accuracy.

BTW Paintballs do not freeze.

Now when playing in extreme cold, your Co2 will want to freeze up, so shooting 3 shot bursts or less is important. The more you shoot, the faster your gun will freeze up. We put fires next to our camps so when guys are out they can lay their gun next to the fire (not in the fire, but near it, these tanks could explode if put in a fire). And don't put it so close it melts your hopper... If you are using compressed air, keep it away from a fire...

Plus sitting by the fire is a good time, after a game while telling your war stories from the previous game.

So when your tank freezes up, switch it out with a warm tank and put your cold tank back in the cooler so it can warm back up. But, you can figure you get about half the shots you normally get in warm weather per tank with Co2...

I wear boots, and wool socks, as well as layers that I can shed as I get warmer when playing. I have lots of video on my channel playing in extreme weather conditions. We played one day and we had about 12 inches of snow on the ground, talk about TIRING, walking up the hills destroyed you as it was so hard, but wow, was it fun!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:59 PM #19
Charlieaf92

Layering is a good call. During the game you will run around and heat up and may want to take off a couple layers - but during downtime you may get cold again. They make special paint that is for cold weather - I used it this past weekend and it worked well. But, the weather wasn't as cold as we expected. I found my goggles didn't fog at all in the cold.
Charlieaf92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 PM #20
dps093
My position=Deadbox

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
Check to see if your local field offers Winter formula paint for the Winter. I know my field does. It helps a lot. Wear extra layers so you don't freeze to death as well.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:52 AM #21
fox5100

Annual Supporting Member
fox5100 plays in the PSP
fox5100 supports Cereal Killerz 2
fox5100 is playing at Living Legends III
fox5100 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
fox5100 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
If the the temp gets below 40 degrees i would recommend looking for a indoor place.
Team Method #16
Owner of Paintball Event Calendar.com
http://www.paintballec.com
http://www.paintballeventcalendar.com
fox5100 is offline   Reply With Quote