PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 AM #1
JonathanW
solaris

has been a member for 10 years
Frustrated Fatso on psych meds needs help with weight loss

Make a long story short, when i was 16 I was about 170 pounds, ended up in psych hospital, prescribed seroquel go from 170 to 270 in 5 months, get taken off meds until late 2003 have another episode,etc,etc, been on meds pretty much full time for 9 years. (I have one of the genes that is linked to weight gain with psych meds)

I'm currently 330 pounds (28 years old), 5'10. I started going to the gym 2-3 times a week last June. I lost 10 pounds in the first month due to eating a lot better, but have broken my good eating a few months ago. Since June I have lost about 30 pounds. I recently learned that I could lose more weight by just lifting weights rather than doing 20 mins cardio / 30 mins weight lifting during my gym sessions.

My next point: starting to lose interest in the gym, and feeling self conscious when theres 7 young muscular guys pounding away at the gym and me and my huge gut and tits trying to exercise, my next point:

Several 'fitness gurus' on chatrooms have told me at my weight, I would be better simply dieting instead of going to the gym, and I could lose 100 pounds just through diet, keep in mind I'm on risperdal and lithium, and those pack on the pounds.

the 6 small meals a day to boost metabolism thing wouldn't work for me, I'm not much of a cook and I can't force myself to eat when I don't want to.

Any advice on hashing out a diet that would work with me? allowing some 'cheat meals' too. (my weaknesses are pizza, burgers, chocolate,chips,etc)

thanks.
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2012, 12:47 AM #2
damico

damico is a Supporting Member
damico plays in the PSP
damico owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
damico plays in the APPA D4 division
my advice is basically if you eat 6 junk foods per day, cut that down to 2-3 junk food meals per day and replace with chicken, steak, potatoes, etc. Anything that you can kill or grow in your yard is good food (pay attention to this statement). If you are huge on pop, buy yourself a 20oz bottle everyday and nurse that so it lasts you throughout the day. I'm not a big fan of anything that has "light or diet or fat free" on the label because of all the chemicals in it, I stay away from that ****. Just eat smaller portions. If you are self-disciplined enough, you can diet all week then on the weekends eat whatever you want.

You really have to get over the fat/weight issue while in the gym. From my personal experience, not a single **** is given if someone is 100lbs trying to gain weight or 300lbs losing weight. My observations tell me that people like you who lose motivation after a month or 2 are all "gung-ho" about turning your life around; not real expectations. You try to change too many variables such as gyming 6 days a week for 2 hours a day, cutting out all fast food, all pop, only eating 2K calories after you are used to 5K a day. That is a huge shock to your mind and body to do a complete a 180* turn around like that. Basically getting burnt out. Just take it slow and keep progressing. Losing weight and seeing your body change every week/month/few months will keep you motivated. Lastly, have realistic goals.

Edit: goodluck and take care of yourself.

SFT DYNASTY SHOCKER F/S $210

FLEX PARTS-GREY IZE F/S

Last edited by damico : 11-20-2012 at 12:52 AM.
damico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:48 AM #3
tanner202

ITT: excuses on top of excuses and little desire to actually work hard

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
tanner202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:50 AM #4
JonathanW
solaris

has been a member for 10 years
actually I have been working hard the point of the thread was for a proper diet and if a proper diet could help more than wasting my time at the gym... thanks for the help though
Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 AM #5
tanner202

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanW View Post

Any advice on hashing out a diet that would work with me? allowing some 'cheat meals' too. (my weaknesses are pizza, burgers, chocolate,chips,etc)

thanks.
Knock this **** off and limit portions. Look into Leangains. At your weight its not ****ing hard. No time in the gym is wasted

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
Old 11-20-2012, 01:49 AM #6
The Wizard
BossPlaya.345

The Wizard has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The Wizard has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Who gives a **** about the young muscular guys there? I have more respect for the fat guy that goes 5x a week to do cardio than the punks who go 3x a week only to curl/bench

"Originally posted by Menace: my dad works for nasa and has a laser detector that reflects the laser back at the cop and makes his gun explode."

"Originally posted by ClawHammer: STI's are handed down by god himself, NOTHING is faster then an STI."
The Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:42 AM #7
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Agreed, much more respect for the overweight guy pounding out sweat trying to get where he wants to be.
Pirate Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:59 PM #8
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

I have zero respect for people who can't do their own research, want to be spoonfed, and make excuses for themselves.
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:42 AM #9
OoZoo
Work hard.

OoZoo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
OoZoo is for the Gunfight
OoZoo supports DLX Technology
How about everyone stop being twats and just help the man out? **** man, what the hell is wrong with you people? The man want to better himself and his life. If you wanna ***** that he came to nation for help, then do it in a mirror. You want to be useful? Post and share your knowledge. If you don't, don't. Don't be a dick.

Anyways, if I were you I would wouldn't be thinking about cheat meals at your weight. Regular exercise (go jogging or something. You don't ned a gym membership to lose weight) for 30 minutes and a clean diet. As for weightlifting, muscles eat fat so a little free weight lifting would help you furthermore. Cut out all the bad ****.

Last edited by OoZoo : 11-22-2012 at 09:50 AM.
OoZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:56 AM #10
iizmatts
Me Gusta

iizmatts plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by OoZoo View Post
How about everyone stop being twats and just help the man out? **** man, what the hell is wrong with you people? The man want to better himself and his life. If you wanna ***** that he came to nation for help, then do it in a mirror. You want to be useful? Post and share your knowledge. If you don't, don't. Don't be a dick.
what is this language? can't be english
iizmatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:14 AM #11
OoZoo
Work hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iizmatts View Post
what is this language? can't be english
"The man want to better himself"

wants* Happy?

Then again, you're not one to talk. What*, Can't*, English*and a sentence fragment. Just in case you want to be technical.
Don't be a smartass little child.

Don't veer from the original topic.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:29 AM #12
iizmatts
Me Gusta

you completely misunderstood my post, LOL
Old 11-22-2012, 11:44 AM #13
OoZoo
Work hard.

That's fine and dandy, but I couldn't really care less.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 PM #14
Stagger Lee

Wish I could give you serious fitness advice, but all I've got is encouragement. Keep up the hard work and you absolutely can achieve your goals, and remember that you're not losing weight for strangers at the gym, just like they aren't exercising to look good for you. Maybe talk to your doctor about some kind of food/drink you could have in the morning to get your metabolism rolling, and do your best to stay active. Every minute you spend moving you're burning calories and getting yourself into better shape, gotta adjust your lifestyle so you can take advantage of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner202 View Post
ITT: excuses on top of excuses and little desire to actually work hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_angus View Post
I have zero respect for people who can't do their own research, want to be spoonfed, and make excuses for themselves.
Essentially EVERYONE that takes Lithium gains weight, it gets very serious with higher doses and can even induce hypothyroidism (commonly slows metabolism). IIRC, Lithium hits the same receptors responsible for things like appetite, moods (depression), ability to sleep, etc. so people taking Lithium are at a much higher risk for weight gain that's difficult to control.

Last edited by Stagger Lee : 11-22-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Stagger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:49 PM #15
FHS JewFro
black AND white

mind over matter

its not about working harder, its bout working out AND eating SMARTER

i was never on any psych meds, but i have definitely done this rodeo before (highest weight ever saw on the scale was 279lbs, lowest i got down to was 183lbs)
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
FHS JewFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:40 PM #16
tanner202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post

Essentially EVERYONE that takes Lithium gains weight, it gets very serious with higher doses and can even induce hypothyroidism (commonly slows metabolism). IIRC, Lithium hits the same receptors responsible for things like appetite, moods (depression), ability to sleep, etc. so people taking Lithium are at a much higher risk for weight gain that's difficult to control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FHS JewFro View Post
mind over matter

its not about working harder, its bout working out AND eating SMARTER
This. Not to mention there isnt any excuse for ever getting near 300 pounds, all variables considered

Old 11-22-2012, 05:09 PM #17
bcelos
Broken gun association

bcelos plays in the PSP
bcelos owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bcelos is an NCPA player
bcelos plays in the APPA D4 division
Honestly Jonathan your best bet like the helpful people are saying is to take things one step at a time. I am not a fitness expert but what I can tell you is moderation is the best way to meet the goals you are looking for.

If you want to lose weight you need to get serious about it. Go a week, living and eating like you normally would then at the end of the day keep track of what you are eating. Then after you know exactly what you are eating start transferring bad things for good things.

As a general guideline i would drop all soda, juice, beer basically anything thats not water. People do not understand how unhealthy a can of coke or a bottle of Gatorade is. And whenever I see someone on a diet drinking Vitamin Water thinking they are being healthy disgusts me. If you dont like the taste of water, get used to it cause you need to drink a lot of it.

I would also try to eliminate fast food and preprocessed meals (frozen tv dinners) as much as possible. This has to be a gradual process if you are someone who eats a lot of it as your body will be addicted to it, and although it may only be like 500 calories a meal its killing you in the salt.
Also slowly ween off high carb foods like chips and bread. Use things that are low in sodium, and whole grain or multigrain chips and breads are much better.

Just in general start reading the labels on what you are eating, if your snack looks like it has a lot of sugar or salt in it try trading it for someone with less, then you will feel good about knowing how much less of it you were eating that day.

As for the gym, in my opinion you need some sort of exercise daily. Whether its working out for an hour or a walk around the block it needs to be something. Now I would try to keep going to the gym as much as possible as its a good boost to lose weight.
Cardio is your best bet but keep in mind the workouts you do have to be actual work. You can set the treadmill on the lowest speed for 15 minutes then as soon as you start to sweat get off. You have to make your body work, because the harder your body works the more it's going to burn off that extra fat.

It is also definitely good to mix cardio with lifting, but dont expect to get jacked when your body is mostly body fat, it just wont happen. But when you build up muscle your body needs fuel to do the building and it will get that fuel from your fat deposits.

Good luck man. Just remember you are what you eat. A healthy diet consists of 90% eating and 10% excerise.

UConn Huskies NCPA Class A/NEXL D2
Geo 2 FST
bcelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:24 PM #18
iizmatts
Me Gusta

tell me more about why you hate carbs
Old 11-22-2012, 08:27 PM #19
OoZoo
Work hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iizmatts View Post
tell me more about why you hate carbs
Are you in this thread to be a jackass or to help?
Old 11-22-2012, 11:29 PM #20
Dirtybirdy51
Fuark!

Dirtybirdy51 is a Paintball photographer
Moderation is key when you finally reach the stage in your fitness career like most of us here have. We can have "crap" food, but in moderation. If it fits your macros, it's good to go.

However, your situation is a little different. The key is to take it slow. Small changes in your diet and exercise regimens over the course of a year will make all the difference down the road. You can lose weight and even be skinny or muscular at some point down the road- it's just going to take a good bit of time.
Originally posted by Black Angus: "So, apparently, if you post in the mountain climbing thread that you enjoy climbing because you can fap off the top of the mountain and watch your *** fly in the wind, you get banned."
AUD- passed, REG- passed, BEC- passed, FAR- scores due 3/10
Dirtybirdy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:39 AM #21
pastel (Banned)

i used to be like 310 lbs before, but i dropped to 265 in like two months. as soon as you wake up, elliptical mon-fri for 40 minutes. ketogenic diet: breakfast-eggs/bacon or a couple of protein shakes with olive oil, lunch-chicken thigh with salad or steamed greens, dinner-steak/chicken/fish with salad or steamed greens. thats all you really need to do. i didnt lift weights at all, imo its pointless at that weight. well not pointless, but the benefits to cardio are far superior. by doing only cardio, i got my resting heart rate down into the 60s, could breathe a lot better, was significantly faster, could have sex for an extended amount of time, hold my breath for a long as **** time when i go swimming, etc etc. im sure if you lift weights, youll breathe better and be faster just because youve lost weight, but i felt amazing doing strictly cardio.
pastel is offline   Reply With Quote