Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM #127
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
"Liberal" and "conservative" are worthless. We should come up with a better set of descriptors for this sub. I can start with a few:

Classical Liberal
Fascist
Christofascist
Ecofascist
Anarchist
Socialist
Collectivist
Progressive

Hmm, I need more. I suppose Republicans tend to include Christofascists, Fascists, and a few Classical Liberals (odd mix). Democrats tend to be Ecofascists, Collectivists and Progressives.

Thoughts? I know I'm throwing around a lot of labels here, but the thread's about labels anyway so oh well...
It is a good idea, the only contention that I have is with certain terms being demonized.

For example, fascism and socialism. Each has an extraordinary amount of negative....dogma... levied against it by the political left and right. This won't pose much of a problem for the open minded among us, but those who aren't, will have a hard time. Though, this may be good to weed out those people. The only issue I see is an increase in troll posts and emotion.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2012, 02:57 PM #128
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
I would argue the bigger problem isn't people pretending to be something they are not, but rather the sheer inconsistency and ambiguity between the definitions of conservative and liberal.

@Umami:
I very much agree that we need to drastically rework our language of political theory before we can have proper discussions.
Resolving that ambiguity was the intention of the thread.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:24 PM #129
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Resolving that ambiguity was the intention of the thread.
lol, do you think it succeeded? It appears believe we simply created more ambiguity (because as I have said we are going about it the wrong way). Also, how many people in here that often portray their partisan beliefs as something other than that really read this thread?
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:27 PM #130
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Over time, people have a tendancy to simplify things. We're going to have to sift through the silt to figure everything out, because those that have come before us have been content with just dumping everything at the mouth of the river.


I swear, I am going to end up shooting myself in the face. If it isn't brain dead, wrapped around the axle/ideology NeoCons/Progressives I am arguing with it is my god damn wife who refuses to leave things where I put them. If I put something in a peculiar place, odds are in favor of me doing it for a god damn reason. That reason isn't for me to run around the house looking for widget X when I need to fix something that I was planning on fixing. What makes it worse is I tell her to leave it alone, that it is there for a reason. **** me.
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts

Last edited by barrel roll : 12-11-2012 at 03:29 PM.
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:32 PM #131
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
lol, do you think it succeeded? It appears believe we simply created more ambiguity (because as I have said we are going about it the wrong way). Also, how many people in here that often portray their partisan beliefs as something other than that really read this thread?
Not as many as I might have hoped for. I expected to throw people off, since, as barrel roll is fond of mentioning, overton window often leads to much misconception.

To be honest, I think I did a decent job of keeping it concise and simple. If anyone is still confused as to where they fall on the political spectrum in accordance with my OP, well that's why this is here. I welcome a challenge to the OP as well, so long it is backed by more than, nuh uh!
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:49 PM #132
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
I am going to post my criticism again as it was ignored last time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
I can't imagine a more ridiculous way to talk about a political spectrum than by tradition. The confusion stems from this. Why not subject political systems to judgement of value (communal v personal autonomy, divisions of power, etc) instead of this archaic method of historical evaluation?
Which leads to this mistake:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
A government controlled economy is conservative, while a free and unhinged economy is liberal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
This hinges upon the idea of "government controlled economy" in being traditional with no distinction between the types of government controlled economics. I would be wary of painting with such large stokes.
If we view conservative and progressive as a historical judgement, then government controlled economies are historically conservative (because humans have trended from government controlled to free market), but that is working under the fallacy of lumping together very different things: traditional government controlled economies and theoretical modern government controlled economies (socialism, communism). It also creates a false dichotomy of planned v free economies, ignoring dual economies, natural economies, autarky, etc.

--

The first step towards better political understanding is to break this association of historical evaluation from the mix.
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:46 PM #133
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
I am going to post my criticism again as it was ignored last time:



Which leads to this mistake:





If we view conservative and progressive as a historical judgement, then government controlled economies are historically conservative (because humans have trended from government controlled to free market), but that is working under the fallacy of lumping together very different things: traditional government controlled economies and theoretical modern government controlled economies (socialism, communism). It also creates a false dichotomy of planned v free economies, ignoring dual economies, natural economies, autarky, etc.

--

The first step towards better political understanding is to break this association of historical evaluation from the mix.
Which is essentially what my initial premise does. I think it is better suited for matters of politics opposed to economics, for reasons I already explained. I don't think the manner in which a society distributes, accumulates, or manages their wealth is relevant to their social organization. As already stated, I don't believe economics to have a conservative or liberal bias.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:21 PM #134
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
But that's not what you are doing. You are not giving an evaluation of politics; you are looking at politics through lenses: the lens of authority v autonomy, the lens of hierarchy v plurality, the lens of inequality v equality. None of these things are inherent judgement of political systems any less than they are judgments of economic systems. I see no reason why one cannot apply the lens of authority and autonomy to economic systems any more than political systems. You claim that "There is no historic precedent which gives credence to their being an inherently Leftist or Rightist form of economics", but if we are redefining left and right through subjective judgments i.e., authority and autonomy, we surely can see economic systems through that lens.
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:01 PM #135
marcozombie
 
 
marcozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tejas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Over time, people have a tendancy to simplify things. We're going to have to sift through the silt to figure everything out, because those that have come before us have been content with just dumping everything at the mouth of the river.


I swear, I am going to end up shooting myself in the face. If it isn't brain dead, wrapped around the axle/ideology NeoCons/Progressives I am arguing with it is my god damn wife who refuses to leave things where I put them. If I put something in a peculiar place, odds are in favor of me doing it for a god damn reason. That reason isn't for me to run around the house looking for widget X when I need to fix something that I was planning on fixing. What makes it worse is I tell her to leave it alone, that it is there for a reason. **** me.
goddam I feel your pain...just let it go...and think of the nookie.
__________________
I am for freedom of religion, & against all maneuvres to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another.]-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry, 1799http://abaddoncomic.com/
marcozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 AM #136
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
But that's not what you are doing. You are not giving an evaluation of politics; you are looking at politics through lenses: the lens of authority v autonomy, the lens of hierarchy v plurality, the lens of inequality v equality. None of these things are inherent judgement of political systems any less than they are judgments of economic systems. I see no reason why one cannot apply the lens of authority and autonomy to economic systems any more than political systems. You claim that "There is no historic precedent which gives credence to their being an inherently Leftist or Rightist form of economics", but if we are redefining left and right through subjective judgments i.e., authority and autonomy, we surely can see economic systems through that lens.
I'm not going to debate you on my evaluation of politics. Moving on. You can apply those lenses to economics if you want. Here's my problem:

Even lazy faire capitalism produces a hierarchy, for as much as it may tout autonomy. Prussian socialism stressed mobility through hierarchy, based on merit, without determining ones class by their wealth.

Personally I think it is far more muddled in the economic sphere and not worth discussing. Please feel free to debate economics in regards to Left and Right political philosophy, but I most likely won't join in.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 PM #137
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
lol well I guess that is that
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 PM #138
tsbalr120
Goooonsberry
 
tsbalr120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cowbutt, AR
tsbalr120 plays in the MiLP
tsbalr120 is an NCPA player
tsbalr120 is Legendary
One thing I've noticed from right is they try to use common sense for complex problems.

Like the deficit, if anyone watches even 5mins of faux news it's mentioned several times, and their mentality is "we can't spend more than we take in, if debt gets too high then we'll be cut off" but it's not near that simple, and alot of people don't even see it as a problem really.

Am I making any sense?
__________________
|NCPA: Razorbacks|
rip120
tsbalr120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 PM #139
licence2kill
POOP
 
licence2kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange County
i'd say theres a reason why economist overwhelmingly vote democrat.
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:57 PM #140
BOBBYTUCSON@DP
obama=dirty f'n commie
 
BOBBYTUCSON@DP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ARIZONA
BOBBYTUCSON@DP owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BOBBYTUCSON@DP owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
BOBBYTUCSON@DP supports Team VICIOUS
BOBBYTUCSON@DP has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
While I do believe in a more perfect union, I favor individual sensus (independant)instead of a socially engineered mass collective conscience (I.e. left right red blue ect ect).what I'm starting to realize after delving into Marx, first shift in euro attempt at democracy(france) is that we are back to sqaure one which is oligarchy or perhaps feifdom were the few elite are playing tug of war for control while the masses of the people think they can have a say or stand (vote) when that's just not the truth.actually having a debate right now in our class as to why isn't America a direct democracy the way it was intended to be rather than this representative democracy we ended up in? I'm a right wing Democrat with an independant conscience.
__________________
Apex mma,were champions are made.apexmixedmartialarts.com
STRENGTH FOR XANDER

Last edited by BOBBYTUCSON@DP : 12-16-2012 at 11:01 PM.
BOBBYTUCSON@DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 PM #141
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBYTUCSON@DP View Post
While I do believe in a more perfect union, I favor individual sensus (independant)instead of a socially engineered mass collective conscience (I.e. left right red blue ect ect).what I'm starting to realize after delving into Marx, first shift in euro attempt at democracy(france) is that we are back to sqaure one which is oligarchy or perhaps feifdom were the few elite are playing tug of war for control while the masses of the people think they can have a say or stand (vote) when that's just not the truth.actually having a debate right now in our class as to why isn't America a direct democracy the way it was intended to be rather than this representative democracy we ended up in? I'm a right wing Democrat with an independant conscience.
This has nothing at all to do with this thread.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump