Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
I can't believe how unfriendly the pump forums have become.

"If you don't have anything nice to say..."

With that out of the way, some of us never started with semi. Some of us just feel bored behind an electro. Some of us are just as "agg" as anyone else.

Last edited by Castro #66 : 11-19-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2012, 02:49 PM #23
groundhog hunter

"ask a stupid question..."
groundhog hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM #24
Xdanisx
Team up! Team Up!

Xdanisx posts videos on PbNation
Xdanisx has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Xdanisx has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog hunter View Post
"ask a stupid question..."
Can I ask why you need to be such a douche? I was just trying to learn more about paintball... I'm very new to paintball, especially pump play. I didn't undertand why people played with pump guns and frankly I still don't understand. If I ever get a chance to us one I definately will.

And for the record, I wasn't really asking why someone would buy a pump I was curious why someone would buy a pump simply for the ammo conservation.

Last edited by Xdanisx : 11-19-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Xdanisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:22 PM #25
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is Legendary
Again, I'm not interested in letting this forum slip into the slums some of the others have become. Be helpful or get out.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:38 PM #26
wc!
In periculo, nos jubete

wc! is a Supporting Member
wc! donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdanisx View Post
One of the refs at my local field was using a pump during rec so he could "conserve paint". Why not just use your electro and not walk the trigger?

What's the point?
Because if you're just shooting an electro slow and you get into a panic/frenzy situation, you'll probably end up reverting to your "walking" instinct out of habit. However, if you use a pump, there is no safety net. You're stuck with that rate of fire regardless of the situation.

I've tried the "just shoot it slow" idea before and in the end, the want to win (or the want to not get shot all to ****) overrides the want to shoot less paint - every time.
wc! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:05 PM #27
honculada
Pump OT

Annual Supporting Member
honculada plays in the PSP
honculada plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Can I ask why you need to be such a douche? I was just trying to learn more about paintball... I'm very new to paintball, especially pump play. I didn't undertand why people played with pump guns and frankly I still don't understand. If I ever get a chance to us one I definately will.

And for the record, I wasn't really asking why someone would buy a pump I was curious why someone would buy a pump simply for the ammo conservation.
I didn't buy my pump to conserve paint, I just enjoy playing with a pump more than electros or semi. But I do own electros and semis that's because I'm a gun whore.

FS: Empire Axe

"I am very happy to see that Patrick drilled this to make it just what he wanted. I have no issue with people taking my work and modifying it to make it theirs. :)" Simon Stevens
honculada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:31 PM #28
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is Legendary
There's something to be said for the "feeling" of better accuracy with a pump gun. I feel like I am more effective at hitting my target with a pump overall than with a semi.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:03 PM #29
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro #66
There's something to be said for the "feeling" of better accuracy with a pump gun. I feel like I am more effective at hitting my target with a pump overall than with a semi.
There is a truth to that, and the safety net that wc! was talking about. It does force you to pick your shots(although I can shoot paint just as fast as any mech with my autotrigger) and I love the feel of a pump. It feels much different shooting one than shooting an electro.

My suggestion is to find a friend who owns a pump, and borrow it for a day, NOT just a game. I hated my first game playing with a pump, but after a couple games I got used to it and loved it.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 PM #30
im bad at pbx
Can't we All be friends?

im bad at pbx owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
im bad at pbx owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
im bad at pbx supports Team VICIOUS
im bad at pbx supports Sherwood Forest
im bad at pbx has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
im bad at pbx is attending Decay of Nations VI
I just love to rub it in people's faces when I pluck them off.
im bad at pbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 PM #31
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i would almost say its a bit like playing woodsball compared to speedball...its just different. i love the rush and fast pace of speedball. its straight to the point, but i grew up playing with a pgp in the woods and when you go 5 on 1 and take out a bunch of semi autos with a pump pistol the feeling is a little different than if you were to take out a team with a semi. you move different and you play different. just a new skill set and if you go back to a semi after that you will just play that much better.

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM #32
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D4 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe13 View Post
There is a truth to that, and the safety net that wc! was talking about. It does force you to pick your shots(although I can shoot paint just as fast as any mech with my autotrigger) and I love the feel of a pump. It feels much different shooting one than shooting an electro.

My suggestion is to find a friend who owns a pump, and borrow it for a day, NOT just a game. I hated my first game playing with a pump, but after a couple games I got used to it and loved it.
You would be hard pressed to find someone to let you use it for a day. This is a great idea, and I will bring my old trilogy pump to the field to let people use it for the day. Lord knows my field could use more pump players!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:18 PM #33
Xdanisx
Team up! Team Up!

Xdanisx posts videos on PbNation
Xdanisx has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Xdanisx has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballoliver View Post
You would be hard pressed to find someone to let you use it for a day. This is a great idea, and I will bring my old trilogy pump to the field to let people use it for the day. Lord knows my field could use more pump players!
The ref I know at my local field is wicked nice and would probably let me use it for a game or 2. Everyone's pretty nice there. I'd just give him a bag of paint for compensation or something. Hopefully he'd let me.

Last edited by Xdanisx : 11-19-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Xdanisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:50 PM #34
basementN3k0
THAT COCKER/PUMP GUY...

basementN3k0 supports Pev's Paintball
basementN3k0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
basementN3k0 is Boss
i make people try (coerce people) pump when i'm at the field.
Feedback~ PBN +97/0/0|Ebay +67/0/0
DP G3 SE|Bob Long G6R|CCM S5|2K4 Cocker|WGP Ranger|SFT/NXT Shocker|Gearbag Sale|My markers|Remz F/S
basementN3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 PM #35
Mocking Da Bird
Rental

Mocking Da Bird is playing at Living Legends V
Mocking Da Bird has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mocking Da Bird has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mocking Da Bird has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Mocking Da Bird has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
My cocker pump needs to have a few things for my comfort level, but I think pump is fun because it's pump! It's different than to today's playing style. I'm not very good, but neither was anyone else starting to use a pump.

Try it out, man. Buy a trilogy pump for $100, then if you don't like pump, sell it again for $100. Same resell value.
Mocking Da Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:41 PM #36
universal_dave
TIP#001

Annual Supporting Member
universal_dave is playing at Living Legends VII
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
universal_dave has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
If you wanted to try out pump it would be hundreds more. I don't see why you can't just keep the gun you have and not walk the trigger.
Buying a pump just to try it out to see if you like it may be a bit much for folks, hopefully in those cases they'd have access to someone that has a pump they ca borrow.

That said, there is no real equivalence between playing a pump and "not walking the trigger" with an electronic marker. They are different playing experiences, you can't *really* mirror pump play with any electronic or mechanical semi auto.

You may try it and find it's not for you...but using one is usually about far more than just conserving paint.

Tim2Thousand4 is shady, his word doesn't mean anything. If you had a good experience with him, my opinion is that you got lucky.

GSL | CSL | SLS | SL8R | VCom | G6r | Insight | Victus | Lance #1
universal_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 PM #37
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocking Da Bird
My cocker pump needs to have a few things for my comfort level, but I think pump is fun because it's pump! It's different than to today's playing style. I'm not very good, but neither was anyone else starting to use a pump.

Try it out, man. Buy a trilogy pump for $100, then if you don't like pump, sell it again for $100. Same resell value.
Or a Trracer for $60. Either way, it's not that expensive. Less than some cases of paint.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 PM #38
DDDRAKINNN

DDDRAKINNN owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DDDRAKINNN owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DDDRAKINNN plays in the APPA beginner division
DDDRAKINNN supports DLX Technology
I recently converted to pump. Why? because I have a friend that only plays pump. He would be the only one on the field most of the time with a pump. Against all electros, it was he who we would do our best to get out first. His shots were accurate as hell, he was extremely mindful of his visible profile (which was only part of his head) and he would never be in the same bunker for more than a few seconds. needless to say, whenever he was on the field, he was a ninja assassin that was almost impossible to get out. If anyone were to get into a snapshot battle with him, he would win.

Pump players are mindful of everything they do in paintball. Body positioning, gun skills, movements, strategic, disciplined. Think of a good pump player as a paintball ninja. They are quiet, they are fast, they can be everywhere, and when they strike, they kill!

I am still learning pump and have already learned a lot of things I have been doing wrong playing electro. No I have not given up electro and will never, but playing pump has given me a new insight on paintball. And when I shoot electros out, there is no better feeling and one I have never felt with playing with my electro. The feeling of pure victory, "It wasn't my thousand dollar gun that shot you out, it was ME"

I challenge you to get a pump, learn these skills and apply them to electro. I have become a much better player because of pump. And I know you will too.
DDDRAKINNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:53 PM #39
xDarkk
Cool enough

xDarkk has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xDarkk has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
xDarkk has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I enjoy pump because it is A) cheaper for me being in college and having little spare money. B) More fun and challenging to play. C) more satisfying when I get eliminations. I also just got burnt out on playing the traditional speedball style of play. I still play it and love it. But playing pump is just so much more fun to me.
xDarkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:58 PM #40
jdmpurest
Eat ****, Die Slow

jdmpurest owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jdmpurest has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jdmpurest has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
My good friend plays pump with us and he shoots half a case in 6hrs on a busy day.
Flex Owners Club #150

ehh

"Wool owns. In the Finnish military we had a sweater of wool we called Pillu. It means *ussy because no matter how wet it got, it was always warming"
jdmpurest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM #41
dblj44
Delta Paintball Team

dblj44 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
But if you already have an electronic marker, why not just save a bunch of money and not walk the trigger?
I never said anything about saving money... You asked why I play pump, I told you. The challenge and disadvantage is that lack of a safety net. No board, no batteries, sometimes no hopper or tank. I do it because it's the most fun I have on a paintball field.

:Sponsors:
GOG Paintball | DLX Paintball | Scenario Superstore
Fogtech | Delta Paintball Productions
"Should I try a little spit? That usually helps things out with my girlfriend but we are talking paintball here so I'm not to sure." -Caderade
dblj44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 PM #42
Ledeo

Ledeo has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I love it because you fire one shot and take someone out....there is nothing quite like hitting someone with one shot and they are looking around trying to figure out where the heck it came from. I am the only person I have every seen at our field with a pump.I always laugh when its called a "shotgun"
Ledeo is offline   Reply With Quote