Community Focus

Old 11-16-2012, 11:45 AM #22
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
First it's a war on class and now it's a war on business. It couldn't be that Hostess mismanaged and couldn't keep the business profitable.

Weren't you the same guy who said bankruptcy for the auto industry would have been beneficial because the companies don't disappear?
Well... that is kind of right. Hostess might disappear, but all their stuff is going to be sold to the highest bidder. They'll live on. Kind of.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 AM #23
Lazarusrat

Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
Yeah, no way it could be the effect of the war on business being waged by the current administration...
So please tell us all, just how would have Romny and his Republican posse saved Hostess FE?

A Hostess bail out perhaps?

Government intervention forcing people to accept Hostess' offer or just plain forcing them back to work?

Making the union illegal? Nothing like listening you guys pound your chest crying about "Obama taking people's rights" and then listen to you talk of taking away people's freedom assemble or act collectively in a union.

If this is Obama's anti-business fault just what would the business loving Republican solution be?

On a side note:
I thought you where done in ST...

Sure going to miss Twinkies, not as much as the Baker's Union is going to miss thier jobs. Hope they are happy.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:02 PM #24
Umami
Paragon

Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPAPressure View Post
Gold? No, Twinkies will be tomorrows commodity.

Hostess stuff was disgusting anyway, it's no wonder they went out of business. They've been selling the same radioactively impervious crap for what now, 60 years?

Times changed and they didn't. Not very surprising.

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 PM #25
drgonzo
Half-cocked

If you can't keep a huge popular brand alive while paying your workers fairly, you suck. Though this is a highly suspicious move. Sounds like they are using the union as a scapegoat.
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:13 PM #26
jamest91

jamest91 helped look for balloons
jamest91 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jamest91 is for the Gunfight
jamest91 supports Sherwood Forest
Or..... Union control was a contributing factor to eventual hostess closure
Old 11-16-2012, 12:15 PM #27
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarusrat View Post
So please tell us all, just how would have Romny and his Republican posse saved Hostess FE?

A Hostess bail out perhaps?

Government intervention forcing people to accept Hostess' offer or just plain forcing them back to work?

Making the union illegal? Nothing like listening you guys pound your chest crying about "Obama taking people's rights" and then listen to you talk of taking away people's freedom assemble or act collectively in a union.

If this is Obama's anti-business fault just what would the business loving Republican solution be?

On a side note:
I thought you where done in ST...

Sure going to miss Twinkies, not as much as the Baker's Union is going to miss thier jobs. Hope they are happy.

Republicans ran on getting rid of Obamacare. That policy will devastate business in our country. Also, the war on coal by Obama was another thing that the republicans would have changed.

And the war on oil... And the forcing of using our food chain to make "green" corn gas... All of that is democratic policy. And it causes food/energy/labor costs to skyrocket. Which costs jobs.

And the costs will continue to go up under Obama, where those same costs would have gone down under a republican administration.

But, you are right, I'm done trying to convince ding dongs that voting democrat/liberal will cost them jobs. I'm going to sit on the sidelines and point out the liberal failures, and our massive increase in costs.

And there will be a TON of it in the near future.

Liberals in government have put too much of a burden on the backs of business, and now that they have four MORE years to burden business more... business WILL LEAVE, or close down.

If you tax something more, you get less of it. If you tax it less, you get more.

What did Obama run on? Raising taxes on business.

Goodbye business, which means more dependency on government and more liberal voters. At the expense of our countries economic engine.

Liberalism...
Old 11-16-2012, 12:16 PM #28
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Which part of that has to due with Hostess closing?
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:21 PM #29
jamest91

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Which part of that has to due with Hostess closing?
Just replace "Obama" with "democrats and their love for unions, which fight for the highest wages, best conditions, coverage, and eventual business financial issues." Then you might understand it.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:22 PM #30
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest91 View Post
Just replace "Obama" with "democrats and their love for unions, which fight for the highest wages, best conditions, coverage, and eventual business financial issues." Then you might understand it.
So businesses can't fail outside of union manipulation?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 PM #31
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Here's a breakdown of the financial picture behind the closure. It's a microcosm of why the US economy is in crisis right now. The working class is being crushed under the gears of unregulated capitalism. You can have a valuable brand making a historic product and still be liquidated.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49853653

Quote:
When Hostess Brands announced that it would close up its operations, the forces most responsible for that decision were two hedge funds that control hundreds of millions of Hostess debt and which have finally decided they won't squeeze any more filling into the Twinkie.

The funds, Silver Point and Monarch, are what are known as distressed debt investors. They buy the debt of troubled companies—usually at steep discounts. Some consider them white knights who are willing to take make risky investments in companies on the verge of failure. Others say they are “vulture funds.”

Only Silver Point and Monarch could have kept Hostess out of liquidation and kept the Twinkie bakery ovens firing. But they were, ultimately, unable to reach a deal with the unions that represents the workers who make and deliver products like Twinkies, Wonderbread and Ding Dongs. Without large union concessions—what some would say, total union capitulation—the hedge funds decided Hostess would have to die.
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices
Old 11-16-2012, 12:28 PM #32
jamest91

[quote=F1VENOM;77275009]So businesses can't fail outside of union

Read my original post on union control. Removal of union control on businesses AND good business management is needed.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:32 PM #33
Lazarusrat

Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Republicans ran on getting rid of Obamacare. That policy will devastate business in our country. Also, the war on coal by Obama was another thing that the republicans would have changed.
Obamacare hasn't gone in to effect.

Quote:
And the war on oil... And the forcing of using our food chain to make "green" corn gas... All of that is democratic policy. And it causes food/energy/labor costs to skyrocket. Which costs jobs.
American is exporting more oil products than its importing. Cude oil imports are declining (http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Lea...=WCRIMUS2&f=W). Domestic oil production is increasing (http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Lea...s=MCRFPUS1&f=A) In short there is no War on Oil. Its a lie, a myth, its the "bomber gap" of 2010

Quote:
And the costs will continue to go up under Obama, where those same costs would have gone down under a republican administration.
See above.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:38 PM #34
jamest91

Obamacare started its phase in to society beginning 2010, but the big picture wont be seen until 2013 I believe.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 PM #35
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
seriously?...

Why have my healthcare costs gone up 45%, 52%, and 65% while my benefits have gone down every year for the past three years then?...

That extra money that I am paying doesn't appear on the back of a unicorn flying over a rainbow...

You must be one of those people that think having kids on your plan until they are 26 is "free" too...

Silly liberal.

What does a gallon of gas cost where you live? It is $3.59 a gallon here right now. And the average for the past four years is extremely high...

That costs jobs.

I guess Wendy's has meals under $5.00 where you live? Cause the #1 is about $5.50 here and that is an increase of a dollar since Obama took over.

That is 20% higher than it was under bush...
Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 PM #36
Fuzzy R. McNuggs
yes

Fuzzy R. McNuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 PM #37
2ffu

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
Here's a breakdown of the financial picture behind the closure. It's a microcosm of why the US economy is in crisis right now. The working class is being crushed under the gears of unregulated capitalism. You can have a valuable brand making a historic product and still be liquidated.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49853653
so get your OWS comrads together and buy the copmpany and save all those good union jobs. I mean, ****, you guy are bailing out others, why not save these poor union foalks from 99 weeks of UE checks.
2ffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 PM #38
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ffu View Post
so get your OWS comrads together and buy the copmpany and save all those good union jobs. I mean, ****, you guy are bailing out others, why not save these poor union foalks from 99 weeks of UE checks.
There's an idea.
Why aren't there more union-owned businesses?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:10 PM #39
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
There's an idea.
Why aren't there more union-owned businesses?
Mostly because unions do not generate capital. You have quite the wrong idea of unions (though the right usually gets it wrong) if you think they ought to be -- or even can be -- in the business of owning businesses.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 PM #40
2ffu

so explain to me why is the UAW was given a major stake in GM?
2ffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:17 PM #41
F1VENOM

Quote:
seriously?...

Why have my healthcare costs gone up 45%, 52%, and 65% while my benefits have gone down every year for the past three years then?...

That extra money that I am paying doesn't appear on the back of a unicorn flying over a rainbow...

You must be one of those people that think having kids on your plan until they are 26 is "free" too...

Silly liberal.

What does a gallon of gas cost where you live? It is $3.59 a gallon here right now. And the average for the past four years is extremely high...

That costs jobs.

I guess Wendy's has meals under $5.00 where you live? Cause the #1 is about $5.50 here and that is an increase of a dollar since Obama took over.

That is 20% higher than it was under bush...
Sounds like you have a problem with businesses trying to squeeze every dollar out of you. When's the last time any one of those businesses didn't increase profits?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:19 PM #42
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ffu View Post
so explain to me why is the UAW was given a major stake in GM?
It wasn't.