PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 PM #22
ccluff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntshoota View Post

An Ego5/6 would be the last marker that I would recommend you get. The solenoid alone...should you need to get one...(and you likely will)...will be next to impossible to find. On top of that...IF you can find one it will cost you well over your budget price for the entire marker.
ego 5/6 solenoid is actually the cheapest and easiest ego noid to fix....

WEBSITE COMMING SOON...
ccluff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:16 PM #23
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
I have shot Eteks, Egos, and Geo's not an Etha though. Really can't go wrong with Planet Eclipse. To be honest most of what you are asking about are "high end markers" and the cost that goes with them is up there even used.

May get shot for this... I started with an Invert Mini ($325)and then went to an Empire Axe ($459) (basically an upgraded Mini). Pretty decent markers, and the Axe is even being used by "pro" teams like Infamous.

If stuck on high end only, then buy used but not too old.
If new is an option then buy it from a local pro shop that will likely give you a lifetime warranty for your new marker.

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:17 PM #24
BuiltforBoost

Annual Supporting Member
BuiltforBoost owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BuiltforBoost owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
BuiltforBoost plays in the APPA D5 division
My vote goes for an ego7. They can be found around the top of your budget easily and are great guns. They can also be modded to eliminate the qev's. Although I think all the QEV "problems" are over-hyped anyways. They are cheap and easy to replace. 05/06 are great shooters, but as mentioned parts are becoming harder to find. I'd take an 07 over the etek 3/4 for the lcd screen alone.

Also I disagree with all the 09 comments. IMO the 08 was a much better marker. Not that the 09 isn't nice. It just didn't fit ME as well as the 08. But before anyone attacks me this is just my opinion.

Long story short. With your budget I personally would find a used Ego7, put a zick2 in it and shoot lots of paint.
BuiltforBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:55 AM #25
CAOL_98
Ego User

CAOL_98 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CAOL_98 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
My personal opinion would be the SL66. Ego 5's and 6's are nice, but the SL66 was the lightest of the bunch and they had some super sweet special milling and features going for it above the stock Ego's. However I do have two other favorites and for good reason that are newer.
First is the Ego 7. It was just such an amazing gun for it's time. It came out shortly after the SL66...it was lighter, had a better design (IMO...monoform body, integrated ram and va, lighter, smaller). It was just a great overall marker...plus now you can get them for a steal.
My second choice is the Ego 9. It was the first ego to have the rebuildable solenoid, it has the tighter upper and lower tube configuration (which feels more natural when sighting down the barrel...more of a single tube spooler feel to me), and they're just comfortable, light, fast Ego's.
Now if you simply must have something that incorperates all of the best features Planet has to offer...look into an 11. They're getting more affordable by the day in the BST threads, and they're just packed with features that will make your playing experience worry free.
You can probably pick up an Ego 7 for as much or cheaper then an SL66...Ego 9 would be about the best choice in my opinion due to the price, how servicable it is, and the features...but if you can swing it, the Ego 11 is so packed with great ideas it's worth every penny.
Don't know if that's helpful, but I guess it's how I would go about it if I was looking for a new Ego to buy.

"This sport transcends all expectations. I thank God for this gift and the friends I have made playing."
CAOL_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:57 PM #26
ZEDI
UnNamed

ZEDI owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ZEDI has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ZEDI has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
One underlying theme in all the posts above is how the gun FEELS to each owner.

How a marker feels in a owner's hands is the most critical thing. It could be the the "Tits" marker to one, and crap to another's.

My advice, go to your field and see if you can try out someone's 07,08,09 or whatever your may be interested in. See if you like the feel of it and go from there.

I have a SL74 that I love. Lent it to a teammate and he just couldn't get a feel for it.

Just my two cents .
Old 11-18-2012, 06:00 AM #27
CAOL_98
Ego User

CAOL_98 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CAOL_98 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEDI View Post
One underlying theme in all the posts above is how the gun FEELS to each owner.

How a marker feels in a owner's hands is the most critical thing. It could be the the "Tits" marker to one, and crap to another's.

My advice, go to your field and see if you can try out someone's 07,08,09 or whatever your may be interested in. See if you like the feel of it and go from there.

I have a SL74 that I love. Lent it to a teammate and he just couldn't get a feel for it.

Just my two cents .
Good call...it is a very critical point when picking out a gun. I don't particularly like the feel of the 07 Ego, but the 09 and 11 feel amazing...it's a big deal! I used to own a Macdev Droid and a Clone Gt. I thought the Droid was the most balanced and amazing marker I have ever owned...the Clone Gt felt unbalanced and kind of generic...and it's Macdev's flagship marker!

"This sport transcends all expectations. I thank God for this gift and the friends I have made playing."
CAOL_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 AM #28
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalEgo11 View Post
the Etek 3/4 is better than the 08 egos and previous models. The main reason is that there are no QEV's. QEV's give you problems after a certain amount of cases that you shoot. Although if you want an Ego (best guns ever) go for 2009 Ego or the Ego11. IMO the Ego10 was nice in what PE was trying to do which was slow the gun down and make it quieter, but PE should've just went from the 09 to the 11. Unless you can find an ego 10 for dirt cheap, go for the 09 ego or the ego11. 09 egos now should be around $500 and a used 11 should be $750-850. Brand new ego 11 is 1095
ego8 is better than an etek3/4.... And no, QEV diaphrams can last you for years. And if you do happen to tear one, they are only a few dollars anyways.

Have you ever even owned an ego8 or are you just spewing hearsay?

Also, you do realize the 10 is a lot nicer than the 9 right? The 9 was still focused on cycling speed than shot quality.
Ego 9
Cure 2 bolt
Zick kit

Ego 10
Cure 3 bolt
Zick 2 kit
Bleed hole below the LPR
Bigger LCD display

Last edited by peacob : 11-18-2012 at 08:26 AM.
peacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 AM #29
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR
Dyin's for Fools!

Annual Supporting Member
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
With the plank kit the Ego9 softens out close to the Ego10's shot character.

Some find that gun extremely ugly though haha.
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 PM #30
SouljaboyRI
Keep Calm and Flex On

SouljaboyRI plays in the PSP
SouljaboyRI owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
SouljaboyRI owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SouljaboyRI plays in the APPA D4 division
you can even find a geo or geo+ for 350 - 450! I love spoolies, all you need to do is lube the bolt and you're good to go!

Vicious GEO3
SouljaboyRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:41 PM #31
piggman2
Numquam non paratus

Annual Supporting Member
piggman2 plays in the PSP
piggman2 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Go for 09 or higher, simple reason is the noid is servicable on the rare occasion you'll need to replace something (finally had to replaced the noid spool for $20.00 after 3+ years and 100's of case of paint later.) on it AND no QEV diaphragms. An Ego 10 has the same exact noid as the 09 with the plank kit and LPR I believe too. The only real noticeable difference between the two are the screen size, trigger frame, and milling. Unless the 10 came stock with the SL3 reg which I think was a Geo2 thing (which is really a how low in your air supply can you go thing.), part/shot wise it's literally the same gun but cheaper to get your hands on.

Everyone I know is in one of two categories,

1. You're either too important to lose to lie to you, or 2. I don't really care about your feelings enough to care what you think so I won't lie to you.....Either way you get the truth.
piggman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 PM #32
PineappleNoS
Mooserator

PineappleNoS owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PineappleNoS supports Team VICIOUS
PineappleNoS is for the Gunfight
PineappleNoS has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
PineappleNoS is attending Decay of Nations VI
If you are truly stuck to an ego, go for an ego 7 or 8 (9 if you can go that high do to the no QEVs).

If you are more flexible you may want to try an Etek3, 4, or an Etha.

Good luck OP!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM #33
alee18
HK for Hello Kitty

alee18 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Alright guys Thank you for all the input I was really looking to get a no older than Ego 8 based on what most of you recommended. However I found a really good deal on Ego 5 that came with Cure 3 bolt and Zick kit, Tadao board and other upgrades.

Got it aired up and shot it for the first time today, and I have a small problem. After shooting a few paintballs I would have one roll out of the barrel and fall on the ground. Or when I shoot it in semi mode I would have a 3 round burst that dont fly very far. And yes I did have the eyes turned on.

What am I missing here?
alee18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM #34
alee18
HK for Hello Kitty

alee18 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Few important notes:

Last night I decided to lube most of the O rings and what not, took out the bolt, rammer, reg and LPR.

When I put it all back together I realized that LPR is adjustable based on how far the screw goes in. I looked it up in the manual and found out that LPR controls velocity. So many be this had something to do with why the balls are falling out of the barrel?
alee18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 PM #35
piggman2
Numquam non paratus

Annual Supporting Member
piggman2 plays in the PSP
piggman2 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee18 View Post
Few important notes:

Last night I decided to lube most of the O rings and what not, took out the bolt, rammer, reg and LPR.

When I put it all back together I realized that LPR is adjustable based on how far the screw goes in. I looked it up in the manual and found out that LPR controls velocity. So many be this had something to do with why the balls are falling out of the barrel?
If the LPR is screwed in too much, yes it can starve the marker. Start at flush with the top of the LPR cap or 1 1/2 in from flush and you should be set on the LPR.

Everyone I know is in one of two categories,

1. You're either too important to lose to lie to you, or 2. I don't really care about your feelings enough to care what you think so I won't lie to you.....Either way you get the truth.
piggman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:59 AM #36
XKE

has been a member for 10 years
Didnt read any bit of the thread other than the first post.

Ego07 is as old as you should go. The platform took a huge leap in 07 and never looked back.

James Butts fan club #1-100
XKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:12 AM #37
painthappy
Painthappy

Annual Supporting Member
painthappy is a founding member
painthappy is a Paintball photographer
painthappy is playing at Living Legends V
painthappy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
painthappy supports Bob Gurnsey
I would say 07 or 08

I have an 05 -> 08

I like playing with the 06, and continue to do so just because my 06 is so beat up, and the others are almost too nice for me to use.

You can get an 07 right now for $300 - Seriously. Hell, I tried selling mine and the best offer I got was $275.00. And mine was mint in the box. So screw everyone, I'm keeping it.

I see lots of 07's selling for $300

Frankly, it's dirt cheap for what you're getting.
painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 AM #38
p8ntshoota
Eclipse Tech Support

p8ntshoota is a Supporting Member
p8ntshoota works for a Paintball manufacturer
p8ntshoota owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee18 View Post
I looked it up in the manual and found out that LPR controls velocity.
Unfortunately, you have misread the manual.

The LPR supplies air to the solenoid only.

It is actually the HPR or Inline regulator that adjusts the velocity. Increasing output pressure of the inline reg raises velocity...while decreasing pressure lowers it.

Velocity is adjusted by turning the inline reg adjuster screw out (counter clockwise) while lowering velocity is done by turning the screw in (clockwise).

Best of luck.

I would do a full Service on the marker. Change all critical O rings and replace the battery with a new Duracell or Energizer.

(Check the dwell of the board...and also...don't discount the solenoid being the culprit for your low velocity).

I Love that it takes longer to open a package for a repair on an Ego than it takes to actually fix the gun!

For the Love of Paintball....Use OILon the rammer!

If you THINK you're a Super Hero...You're NOT! SLIDE RIGHT!!!
p8ntshoota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 AM #39
p4intb4ll

p4intb4ll plays in the PSP
p4intb4ll is an NCPA player
p4intb4ll plays in the APPA D3 division
p4intb4ll supports DLX Technology
If on a budget, just get an Ego7. Simple.

AKRON
#CasualSunday
TPA
OLD FEEDBACK
p4intb4ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:36 PM #40
Vicious49
Excelsior!

Annual Supporting Member
Vicious49 plays in the USPL
Vicious49 plays in the PSP
Vicious49 owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
Vicious49 supports Pev's Paintball
Vicious49 plays in the APPA D4 division
Vicious49 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
I'd say Elle Mcpherson, Kathy Ireland, or Christie Brinkley.

The best upgrade for your Ego is a new owner.
Vicious49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:42 PM #41
gndmepyon
Nothing

gndmepyon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gndmepyon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gndmepyon supports Team VICIOUS
Kathy Ireland FTMFW!
gndmepyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 PM #42
young.vito