PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 PM #1
alee18
HK for Hello Kitty

alee18 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Whats the oldest model I should consider?

Hi

Im new to BP and looking to get my 1st but decent marker. From the research I have done seems that EGOs are top of the line, however, I was wondering if the OLD models are any good for the price. For example Ego 5 for $150? or should I go with newer model of lower end marker like Etek 3 or similar?

Is there the oldest cut off model of Ego I should consider, like no older than Ego 7 or 8 due to major changes that would be a must have?

Thanks
alee18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2012, 12:31 AM #2
smokefools66
Overkill is underrated

smokefools66 supports Team VICIOUS
smokefools66 supports Team VICIOUS
smokefools66 supports Empire
The main thing with the 05/06 Ego's is that the parts are getting more and more scarce, due to PE not making anymore parts for the older Egos. I have had my 06 Dark Ego for 4 almost 5 years now and it's my favorite marker I've ever owned! So much that I can't justify selling it for a newer Ego. If you do get an older ego you need to either collect parts or buy a parts gun. Honestly a nice 07 or 08 Ego would be your best bet and can be found for cheap. Or for a little more you could buy an Etek4 or Etha new and have the warranty for a year. Also I know my pro shop offers lifetime repair warranties for markers purchased from them, so you might look into that as well. Do your research and read the manual for the marker you choose and it will take care of you. Bottom line you can't go wrong with any PE marker whether it's a Etha, Etek, Ego, or Geo!
smokefools66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:41 AM #3
alee18
HK for Hello Kitty

So etek 4 is a better gun than ego 7 or 8?

And also you said 05/06 and 07/08 do egos change their models or make big changes every two years?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:56 AM #4
Gdude2008
__________DOOM___________

Annual Supporting Member
Gdude2008 plays in the PSP
Gdude2008 helped look for balloons
Gdude2008 supports Team VICIOUS
Gdude2008 is an NCPA player
Gdude2008 plays in the APPA D3 division
Gdude2008 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
If you're not willing to fork over for a new or used Ego 11, I'd suggest getting an Etek3 or 4. Eteks are simply just like the previous version Ego in performance and ease to upgrade. (Yes I know there more differences between an Etek and Ego, but shooting it you won't be able to tell)

Personal opinion: No earlier than Ego10 or Etek 3.
ASMC

Orlando DOOM | HyperSports Park
MACDEV Clone GT
Gdude2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:16 AM #5
theVicious1

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdude2008 View Post
If you're not willing to fork over for a new or used Ego 11, I'd suggest getting an Etek3 or 4. Eteks are simply just like the previous version Ego in performance and ease to upgrade. (Yes I know there more differences between an Etek and Ego, but shooting it you won't be able to tell)

Personal opinion: No earlier than Ego10 or Etek 3.
Ahh, I'd say no earlier than ego 7 or etek 3. Functionally, those were the major revolutions for the ego and etek lines.

It would be best to establish a price range you want to stay in first, then we can tell you what you can afford and you can pic from that.
theVicious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 AM #6
alee18
HK for Hello Kitty

So what are the differences between Etek 3 and Ego 7-10? There is a big price difference.

I am willing to spend under $300. If the deal is right, lets say I find a smoking deal for like Ego 11 for $400 I could do that haha.. but yeah I would like to keep the cost as low as $100 if thats good enough for a solid performer, Im not looking for latest and greatest, just want something that not too heavy like a break compared to newer models within .5 lbs is fine, also shoots accurate and runs reliable.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2012, 01:53 AM #7
Gdude2008
__________DOOM___________

Annual Supporting Member
Gdude2008 plays in the PSP
Gdude2008 helped look for balloons
Gdude2008 supports Team VICIOUS
Gdude2008 is an NCPA player
Gdude2008 plays in the APPA D3 division
Gdude2008 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
So go for an Ego7, possibry an ocho if you can get a deal.
But if you want a just as reliable gun for the low an Etek 2
ASMC

Orlando DOOM | HyperSports Park
MACDEV Clone GT
Gdude2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:46 AM #8
theVicious1

Annual Supporting Member
Sounds like you are more budge minded. I'd get an etek 1, should be easy to get for under 200. For 275-300 you MIGHT be able to find an etek 3 in decent shape or a heavily used ego 7.

Since your so budget minded, have you budgeted for everything else first? Mask, tank(with ego/etek it must be hpa), harness? Without these you won't have much/any fun.

If you haven't, I'd suggest getting a spyder Electra. Ansgear has some great starter packs available that will get you on the field quick and for cheap, and its a decent first marker. Fast, low pressure, reliable.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:55 AM #9
SpanksIPB

SpanksIPB owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
SpanksIPB owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
I recommend you read the truth about the Etek 3 thread here http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3258889
as well as the truth about Eteks thread here http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3251754. It will inform you of the differences between the Etek and the ego platform to a certain degree.
SpanksIPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:12 AM #10
alee18
HK for Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by theVicious1 View Post
Sounds like you are more budge minded. I'd get an etek 1, should be easy to get for under 200. For 275-300 you MIGHT be able to find an etek 3 in decent shape or a heavily used ego 7.

Since your so budget minded, have you budgeted for everything else first? Mask, tank(with ego/etek it must be hpa), harness? Without these you won't have much/any fun.

If you haven't, I'd suggest getting a spyder Electra. Ansgear has some great starter packs available that will get you on the field quick and for cheap, and its a decent first marker. Fast, low pressure, reliable.
Im just new to BP and I dont want to spend more than I have to on my first marker I already picked up a V3 Rotor, i4 Mask and will be getting 68/45 ninja tank.

Now the tricky part, how much to spend on the marker.. so many choices to choose from and I dont want to put my self in a hole for $500 and then realize what I like and hate and will take a hit trying to resell it get my money back.

With that being said I dont want a cheap/low end marker I want a high value/good deal marker to begin with.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2012, 03:13 AM #11
alee18
HK for Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanksIPB View Post
I recommend you read the truth about the Etek 3 thread here http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3258889
as well as the truth about Eteks thread here http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3251754. It will inform you of the differences between the Etek and the ego platform to a certain degree.

Thanks for sharing these link some good info answered alot of my questions, can I find a similar comparison for all popular markers?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:31 AM #12
SpanksIPB

SpanksIPB owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
SpanksIPB owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
A few of the different manufacturer forums have threads that detail their markers and often note the differences between that marker and previous version or markers they have produced. A lot of those threads can be found stuck or "stickied" to the top of the section. I think the fact that there was a lot of confusion about the differences between Eteks and Egos spawned those fantastic threads(and Uziel Gal is awesome) and have yet to see others of that quality in other manufacturer forums.
SpanksIPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:50 AM #13
theVicious1

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee18 View Post
Im just new to BP and I dont want to spend more than I have to on my first marker I already picked up a V3 Rotor, i4 Mask and will be getting 68/45 ninja tank.

Now the tricky part, how much to spend on the marker.. so many choices to choose from and I dont want to put my self in a hole for $500 and then realize what I like and hate and will take a hit trying to resell it get my money back.

With that being said I dont want a cheap/low end marker I want a high value/good deal marker to begin with.

Thanks
Sounds like your on the right path if you've already got a loader, tank, and mask. Stick with an ego or etek 3. Those are 2 of the best deals you can get used. Good luck, and welcome to the sport.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:54 AM #14
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee18

Thanks
USED not NEW. To be honest you need to try a few markers. Maybe you can shoot a friends or someone else's at the field. If you buy a used marker, and you don't like it then you can likely sell it or trade it for something else. It is really impossible to tell you what you will like. Go with a steel tank instead of carbon fiber. Steel tanks are lower pressure, but about $50 compared to $130. Put that it your marker too. My first setup was a mini, velocity loader, and steel tank. I upgraded to a 2006 EGO. Slowly change your equipment as you can afford, but $100 marker is pretty hit or miss.

I do recommend buying used, but NOT FROM AN OUT OF BUSINESS COMPANY. Parts are harder to find and their resale/ trade value sucks.

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 AM #15
Hot Head Sports (Banned)

I'd get the 07/08.. best egos to date
Hot Head Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 AM #16
7ezekiel7
Paintball is LIFE!

Annual Supporting Member
7ezekiel7 supports Team VICIOUS
get a ego 6 or ego 7.......best guns for the money IMHO
Old 11-16-2012, 10:30 AM #17
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR
Dyin's for Fools!

Annual Supporting Member
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
If you know what you're doing with tech'ing guns, no Ego is too old. And in terms of playability, none of them have been big or heavy if you ask most people.

I'd suggest an Ego7/8. 05's and 06's are nice too though!
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM #18
icygrip
^rs

Annual Supporting Member
icygrip plays in the APPA D5 division
icygrip has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
icygrip has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
icygrip has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
personally i have allways felt that the egos feel much better in the hands than eteks. so my general vote would be for an ego, id look into the ego8 model it is closer to your budget and is incorporating some convinces the new models will have. also as stated by others that the older parts or the older guns are no longer being made and if a part goes out it could be a pain to replace it. so if your looking into an ego id say the ego 8 for your budget, but if u want an etek id say look at the etek3, you should be able to get it for less than the etek 4 and u could simply buy the updates it has or just get the zick2 witch would make it should pretty much the same to the etek4, and personally i like the oops over the new asa they have on the eteks. now this all being said you can pick up an ego6 they will work fine just be cautious that some parts may be hard to come by if u need them, but any version of ego will shoot well for u and if your ok with a bulkier feel to the gun an etek would be a cheaper alternative. hope this helps in your choice
icygrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:02 PM #19
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0ck3r_W0RR1OR View Post
If you know what you're doing with tech'ing guns, no Ego is too old. And in terms of playability, none of them have been big or heavy if you ask most people.

I'd suggest an Ego7/8. 05's and 06's are nice too though!
agree with everything said
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 PM #20
RegalEgo11
Cool-Aid

RegalEgo11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
RegalEgo11 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
RegalEgo11 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee18 View Post
Hi

Im new to BP and looking to get my 1st but decent marker. From the research I have done seems that EGOs are top of the line, however, I was wondering if the OLD models are any good for the price. For example Ego 5 for $150? or should I go with newer model of lower end marker like Etek 3 or similar?

Is there the oldest cut off model of Ego I should consider, like no older than Ego 7 or 8 due to major changes that would be a must have?

Thanks
the Etek 3/4 is better than the 08 egos and previous models. The main reason is that there are no QEV's. QEV's give you problems after a certain amount of cases that you shoot. Although if you want an Ego (best guns ever) go for 2009 Ego or the Ego11. IMO the Ego10 was nice in what PE was trying to do which was slow the gun down and make it quieter, but PE should've just went from the 09 to the 11. Unless you can find an ego 10 for dirt cheap, go for the 09 ego or the ego11. 09 egos now should be around $500 and a used 11 should be $750-850. Brand new ego 11 is 1095
RegalEgo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:34 PM #21
p8ntshoota
Eclipse Tech Support

p8ntshoota is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
p8ntshoota works for a Paintball manufacturer
p8ntshoota owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
OP...

The critical thing here that you need to understand is that first of all...you are giving yourself a budget that is very low for what a lot of players consider "high end" markers.

In order to fit into your budget...and try to slide into this niche...you are forced to look at older versions of some of these markers.

The problem with that is...you will find that certain years of markers...and the older it is...the more it falls into this category...have very very limited repair parts available on the market. And then...IF you can find what you need...you will oftentimes have to pay a premium for that item.

An Ego5/6 would be the last marker that I would recommend you get. The solenoid alone...should you need to get one...(and you likely will)...will be next to impossible to find. On top of that...IF you can find one it will cost you well over your budget price for the entire marker.

The older you go...the more you run into this possibility. Etek1 is close to this point as well.

The newer markers...8-11 will run you well over $400 and up to $1000 used.

My recommendation to you is this...

And I know that it's not in the "Ego" category...but just using the name as a possible source for him to research...

Look into the Etha.

This marker will nearly fit your bill. You are new to Paintball...and are looking for a nice marker to get started with...from a reputable company...that won't break the bank.

Best of luck to you...and enjoy your new hobby.

I Love that it takes longer to open a package for a repair on an Ego than it takes to actually fix the gun!

For the Love of Paintball....Use OILon the rammer!

If you THINK you're a Super Hero...You're NOT! SLIDE RIGHT!!!
p8ntshoota is offline   Reply With Quote