Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 PM #1
newpbplaya

SmartPart Nerve for new player? or spyder with the fixings (please help)

hello there,

Im looking to get into paintball and have no idea where to start?

My buddy said he would sell me his Smartparts Nerve with Freak barrel for 30$ and I was wondering if it was worth it? as no tank or hopper is included.

or should I start with one of those Spyder Packages for like 120/150$ with all the fixings (hopper,tank,mask,marker and barrel)

I would like all types of answers, so let me know
newpbplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2012, 05:15 PM #2
gator50
futurama?

gator50 is BST Trusted
gator50 plays in the PSP
gator50 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
gator50 supports DLX Technology
the nerve is a good gun and will out perform any spider out there. That is assuming it works. They're not bad guns, but smart parts has been out of business for long enough that your going to have trouble finding parts for it. However for $30 i don't see where you can go wrong. However you will need a HPA tank and force fed hopper of some sort.

edit: for the extra $90-$120 you can likely find a suitable tank and hopper used on here

ATLANTA OUTRAGE
gator50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:27 PM #3
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

a nerve for $30 wouldnt be bad at all, especially if it works. pretty hard to go wrong there. you will need to spend the extra cash on a compressed air tank (HPA) since the nerve will not run on co2.

definately stay away from packages. yes they look appealing but most of the items are crap. you want to buy a nice mask. look in the $60+ range. look for one with a thermal lense. remember you wont be able to hit anything if your mask is constantly fogging and you just wont be having fun if you have to adjust it all the time because its not comfortable. personally ive had vforce profilers and grills, empire e-vents, and a jt proflex and have liked all of them a lot.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 PM #4
shortyrider114

shortyrider114 plays in the PSP
shortyrider114 is an NCPA player
shortyrider114 plays in the APPA D4 division
shortyrider114 supports Empire
Honestly, the Nerve is such an underrated gun. That gun will compete with most high end markers on the market. When the Nerve was new on the market the MSRP was $1200. Taking the nerve and buying necessary gear will be your best bet.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:47 PM #5
R3DF0X
WHY!?

R3DF0X plays in the APPA D5 division
R3DF0X has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
R3DF0X supports DLX Technology
go for it. for $30 thats deff worth it. then try n find sum good used parts like a tank and hopper. its way better then a spider, but finding parts may be difficult, but im sure people on here have some.
R3DF0X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 PM #6
newpbplaya

so is Air better then Co2? which is more costly? like I said im brand new to all this, only paintballed a few times in the last few years and am just a baby to all the talk and what not.

If all is good on the nerve then I will buy it seems like it got good reviews from what I have read. and even if not may just grab it for 30 just to say i got a nerve haha but seriously,

I need all the help I can get with this. would love to get into it.

Thank youuu and happy ballin
Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 PM #7
PistolPaul2
Be Nice, Have fun

PistolPaul2 is playing at Living Legends VI
Hpa is better than co2 in every aspect accept for cost but they do have cheap hpa tanks for around $45-60 new where co2 will cost $20 Hpa can be used in all markers and co2 can only be used in mechanical markers
PistolPaul2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:26 PM #8
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
I'd pass on the Nerve. Once or breaks, and it will, parts are harder to get than a spyder or Empire marker.

I'd go with a Spyder for an autococker. if I was going electric marker, I'd get a Mini or Axe used. An autococker will cost $100 or less. A mini costs $100 to $200 where a axe is $300 to $400.

I think a good hopper will cost $30 to $100 for a Halo to a Rotor.
A 45-4500 carbon fiber tank will cost $50 to $70 used, but make sure its not damaged.

You don't need a barrel, but its nice addition. I play a Deadly Wind Fibre with freak insets, but its not needed. A stock barrel works and its fine for free play.

I'd buy on here in the B/S/T forums
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 PM #9
newpbplaya

nerve is electric? and whats is the difference between autococker and electric?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM #10
EvilPimp_
Where my money at???

Nerve is electric, and a steal at $30 if it works. An autococker can be electric like a Karnivoir, or mechanical like when autocockers first came out. The electronics are in the grip frame. Here is some info if you are interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autococker
EvilPimp_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 PM #11
liverlip

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Get that Nerve for $30. If not, let me know where to get it!

][nvert User IS A THIEF
liverlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:48 AM #12
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian P View Post
I'd pass on the Nerve. Once or breaks, and it will, parts are harder to get than a spyder or Empire marker.

I'd go with a Spyder for an autococker. if I was going electric marker, I'd get a Mini or Axe used. An autococker will cost $100 or less. A mini costs $100 to $200 where a axe is $300 to $400.

A 45-4500 carbon fiber tank will cost $50 to $70 used, but make sure its not damaged.

You don't need a barrel, but its nice addition. I play a Deadly Wind Fibre with freak insets, but its not needed. A stock barrel works and its fine for free play.

Spyder doesnt make an autcocker... but it makes a blowback.....And the fact that you're suggesting a spyder tells me a lot about you.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:12 PM #13
Danny96211
cash for your iphone

Danny96211 posts videos on PbNation
Danny96211 supports Empire
i would definitely get the nerve if its in working condition. You said it comes with a freak barrel? hell... freak barrels alone cost much more than 30$ so your basically getting the gun for free. Buy it!
Danny96211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM #14
Dep
its paintball.settle down

Annual Supporting Member
Dep is BST Trusted
Dep is playing at Living Legends VII
Dep owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Dep owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Dep is for the Gunfight
Where's this $30 nerve?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:34 PM #15
shortyrider114

shortyrider114 plays in the PSP
shortyrider114 is an NCPA player
shortyrider114 plays in the APPA D4 division
shortyrider114 supports Empire
Quote:

What are you talking about? I owned one and it never went down. Just like any other gun on the market, you maintain it well and it will last forever. The only thing you need to watch out for is that eye wire when cleaning. Other than that you will have no problems unless you put oil on the delrin bolt.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:42 AM #16
busterbax

busterbax plays in the PSP
busterbax owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
busterbax plays in the APPA D5 division
busterbax supports Empire
get the nerve!!
busterbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 PM #17
Team.Infected
Beast Coast

Team.Infected supports Team VICIOUS
Team.Infected posts videos on PbNation
Team.Infected plays in the APPA D4 division
Team.Infected supports Empire
Quote:

Dont confuse the guy if your confused yourself. Like everyone else said a spyder is not an autococker... from my experience when I started the spyder pilot I had broke multiple times.
In addition, if I remember correctly, autocockers need to be timed. If you do not know how to do this well then you have a useless piece of metal. Also I doubt there are as many people that know how to properly time cockers now a days.

To the OP. If your friend has the nerve im assuming he has a tank. Have him set it up and shoot for you. Even if he shoots just air. Be sure the gun functions and the bolt cycles (moves). Make sure there are no leaks that you can ear and watch the little gauge on the tank. If the tank and gun are connected the gauge should not decrease over any period of time unless you shoot it.
If everything checks out, you have a great deal.
Good luck
Team.Infected is offline   Reply With Quote