Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2014, 10:14 AM #1
bdunbar52
Hometown Heroes
 
bdunbar52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Delta, OH
GI Sportz Glide vs Race Pack

What are the main differences between these two packs? I've looked and searched but haven't really found my answer. Thanks for helping.
__________________
*BEST IN THE WORLD*
Proudly Sponsored By: ANS Gear
FS|Proto Reflex|
bdunbar52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 AM #2
tyskidmore3
Thats not my name
 
tyskidmore3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wilsonville Oregon
tyskidmore3 helped look for balloons
tyskidmore3 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
tyskidmore3 plays in the APPA D1 division
tyskidmore3 is Legendary
tyskidmore3 supports Shocker RSX
The Race pack is more comfortable IMO. The straps come from the center of the pack, not the outsides, so it pulls the pack closer against you. Also the Race pack does not bounce and carries the full weight of pods well. The glide pack is also a great pack and does not bounce when carrying a full load of pods.

If you can afford it I would go with the race pack, if you want to save some money and still have a solid pack then the Glide will do very well for you.
__________________
SEATTLE THUNDER
POWERED BY
G.I. Sportz, DLX Technologies, Raza Design
Exalt, Pbnation
Diamond Hill Paintball Park and Shocker Paintball
tyskidmore3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 AM #3
hit_wiper
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoCal
The easiest way to explain is to say that all the features mentioned about the race pack in this video are not available in the glide version.



hit_wiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:30 AM #4
bdunbar52
Hometown Heroes
 
bdunbar52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Delta, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyskidmore3 View Post
The Race pack is more comfortable IMO. The straps come from the center of the pack, not the outsides, so it pulls the pack closer against you. Also the Race pack does not bounce and carries the full weight of pods well. The glide pack is also a great pack and does not bounce when carrying a full load of pods.

If you can afford it I would go with the race pack, if you want to save some money and still have a solid pack then the Glide will do very well for you.
Yeah I was leaning more towards the Race pack I just wanted to know what the main difference. That sounds good. Thanks for the info.
__________________
*BEST IN THE WORLD*
Proudly Sponsored By: ANS Gear
FS|Proto Reflex|
bdunbar52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:28 PM #5
tyskidmore3
Thats not my name
 
tyskidmore3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wilsonville Oregon
tyskidmore3 helped look for balloons
tyskidmore3 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
tyskidmore3 plays in the APPA D1 division
tyskidmore3 is Legendary
tyskidmore3 supports Shocker RSX
No problem sir.
__________________
SEATTLE THUNDER
POWERED BY
G.I. Sportz, DLX Technologies, Raza Design
Exalt, Pbnation
Diamond Hill Paintball Park and Shocker Paintball
tyskidmore3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:09 PM #6
proto_oli
INERTIA
 
proto_oli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
proto_oli plays in the PSP
proto_oli supports DLX Technology
I had a Race pack.. pods kept falling from the extra-stretchy loops, it would drive me NUTS! I dont like to "lock" my extra pods with the little string loop because I've had some issues removing them when in high pressure fast paced situations, and its just one more thing I dont want to worry about. I wear my extra pods with the lid up.

Anyway, the Glide pack seems to hold the extra pods better since the loops are made mostly of stretchy fabric, the Race one's feel kinda plastic-ish and dont hold the pods well.

AND.. a lot of GI sponsored teams use the Glide pack instead of the Race pack.. so..
__________________
PR AllStarz
proto_oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 PM #7
bdunbar52
Hometown Heroes
 
bdunbar52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Delta, OH
I've noticed a lot of the GI teams using the Glide pack that's why I was wondering the difference.

Also how is the fit on these do they run small? I'm about a 38-40 waist, so I'm looking for a pack that is comfortable.
__________________
*BEST IN THE WORLD*
Proudly Sponsored By: ANS Gear
FS|Proto Reflex|
bdunbar52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:18 PM #8
bdunbar52
Hometown Heroes
 
bdunbar52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Delta, OH
What is the back padding like on these? The Race?
__________________
*BEST IN THE WORLD*
Proudly Sponsored By: ANS Gear
FS|Proto Reflex|
bdunbar52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:36 PM #9
Modat
 
 
Modat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern NJ
Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Modat plays in the APPA D3 division
I would say neither. Get a NXE pack or the new bunkerkings pack.

I bought a brand new Race pack at MAO. Use it once (i **** you not) and it ended up ripping at the pod straps.

I went home and emailed customer service. After two weeks, I got no response so I called them. Ended up speaking to a women who told me I would need to submit a ticket online. After explaining to them that I had already done so two weeks prior she says "You must have not done it right. Do it again and someone will contact you". I was frustrated but, gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Went back online, sent another request and waited. I got no response. At this point I was pissed. I ended up posting on another thread about about what happened and I was contacted by a Pro Player who works for them who told me to send him my information and he Would get me taken care of. I was really impressed and promptly sent him the requested info.

Waited another two weeks- Nothing!!! So I sent him another PM. He replied back saying that he gave the tech department my info but, they sent the pack to the wrong customer. He insisted that when we got back to the office the following week he would take care of everything personally.

Waited another two weeks and nothing again. Tried to message him about it a few times but, my messages were ignored. At that point I said screw it and just ended up getting a new pack.

Seriously, screw GI. They might be coming out with a lot of new products and acquiring some other companies but, they are forgetting the key ingredient that is going to keep them in business- Customer service.

And I am not the first person who has had issues with GI. Read the forums and and there is a ton of people just like me who have had issues and have been ignored.

Save yourself the trouble and look elsewhere.
Modat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:53 PM #10
bdunbar52
Hometown Heroes
 
bdunbar52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Delta, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modat View Post
I would say neither. Get a NXE pack or the new bunkerkings pack.

I bought a brand new Race pack at MAO. Use it once (i **** you not) and it ended up ripping at the pod straps.

I went home and emailed customer service. After two weeks, I got no response so I called them. Ended up speaking to a women who told me I would need to submit a ticket online. After explaining to them that I had already done so two weeks prior she says "You must have not done it right. Do it again and someone will contact you". I was frustrated but, gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Went back online, sent another request and waited. I got no response. At this point I was pissed. I ended up posting on another thread about about what happened and I was contacted by a Pro Player who works for them who told me to send him my information and he Would get me taken care of. I was really impressed and promptly sent him the requested info.

Waited another two weeks- Nothing!!! So I sent him another PM. He replied back saying that he gave the tech department my info but, they sent the pack to the wrong customer. He insisted that when we got back to the office the following week he would take care of everything personally.

Waited another two weeks and nothing again. Tried to message him about it a few times but, my messages were ignored. At that point I said screw it and just ended up getting a new pack.

Seriously, screw GI. They might be coming out with a lot of new products and acquiring some other companies but, they are forgetting the key ingredient that is going to keep them in business- Customer service.

And I am not the first person who has had issues with GI. Read the forums and and there is a ton of people just like me who have had issues and have been ignored.

Save yourself the trouble and look elsewhere.
I have the NXe pack now and love it. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of GI but much more bad then good.
__________________
*BEST IN THE WORLD*
Proudly Sponsored By: ANS Gear
FS|Proto Reflex|
bdunbar52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:38 AM #11
tomc727
Doc
 
tomc727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chicagoland
tomc727 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
tomc727 plays in the APPA D5 division
tomc727 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
tomc727 supports Empire
I have the Race pack and absolutely love it. It's extremely durable and looks like the day I bought it even though I put it in the washing machine after every use.

I've had great experiences with GI Sportz, mainly with a smaller mask strap that they sent me for free.

NXE makes great packs. Check out the different brands and see what you like.
__________________
White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.

Planet Eclipse LV1
Planet Eclipse Geo 3.1
Planet Eclipse Aftershock 25th Anniversary 3.5
Planet Eclipse CS1
Bob Long Dragon G6R Intimidator
tomc727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:46 PM #12
Nomahsib
 
 
Nomahsib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 206/408
Annual Supporting Member
Nomahsib is an NCPA player
Nomahsib plays in the APPA D4 division
Nomahsib is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Nomahsib is Legendary
Nomahsib is Boss
Nomahsib supports DLX Technology
Nomahsib supports Shocker RSX
I used NXe packs for years. About a year ago, my 2007 and 2008 NXe Elevation packs were no longer capable of holding pods reliably. I decided to replace it with a 2010 NXe Elevation pack. Unfortunately, that pack's stitching fell apart within the first 10 times of using it. Ended up venturing and buying a Dye Attack pack. That pack was very comfortable and looked good, but other than that didn't have a ton of redeeming qualities. Decided to put that pack down. After trying on some of my teammate's GI Race pack I fell in love. It is the most comfortable harness I have worn and bought one to replace the Dye pack. I have been using it almost every weekend for the past few months and it is in very good condition. One of my teammates switched from the Race pack to the Glide pack and says he prefers it. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
__________________
Bay Area Bad Company
Virtue Paintball - UNDR Industries - YourPbFriend - Midway Paintball
Nomahsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:06 PM #13
CPT@sales
Trades Welcome
 
CPT@sales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
I have a Multicam(tan) glide and I love it, its my favorite pack so far. quality really seems superior to the Nxe packs I've used all my life. I have the 5+ one and generally play with a full pack(5) strapped in just to get used to the weight. It seems to handle having 5+ pods on your back very well. Im a 36" waist if that's any help. Still breaking in the pack though, I've only used it a hand full of times now. Overall I would absolutely recommend one. A guy at my field has the race both are solid packs. Wouldn't really say there is a disadvantage to the glide.
__________________
CPT@sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:20 AM #14
Nomahsib
 
 
Nomahsib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 206/408
Annual Supporting Member
Nomahsib is an NCPA player
Nomahsib plays in the APPA D4 division
Nomahsib is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Nomahsib is Legendary
Nomahsib is Boss
Nomahsib supports DLX Technology
Nomahsib supports Shocker RSX
The Glide has less support, but is lighter and I think fits more snug to the body.
__________________
Bay Area Bad Company
Virtue Paintball - UNDR Industries - YourPbFriend - Midway Paintball
Nomahsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:16 PM #15
creyes
 
 
creyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Culver City, CA
Annual Supporting Member
creyes owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
creyes plays in the APPA D4 division
creyes supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomahsib View Post
I used NXe packs for years. About a year ago, my 2007 and 2008 NXe Elevation packs were no longer capable of holding pods reliably. I decided to replace it with a 2010 NXe Elevation pack. Unfortunately, that pack's stitching fell apart within the first 10 times of using it. Ended up venturing and buying a Dye Attack pack. That pack was very comfortable and looked good, but other than that didn't have a ton of redeeming qualities. Decided to put that pack down. After trying on some of my teammate's GI Race pack I fell in love. It is the most comfortable harness I have worn and bought one to replace the Dye pack. I have been using it almost every weekend for the past few months and it is in very good condition. One of my teammates switched from the Race pack to the Glide pack and says he prefers it. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I have had almost the same experience, except that I haven't replaced my NXe pack yet. Older ones were great but everything falls apart eventually, newer ones seem pretty poor. Coming from NXe though you like the GI Race? good info
__________________
Socal Force
creyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:35 PM #16
Nomahsib
 
 
Nomahsib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 206/408
Annual Supporting Member
Nomahsib is an NCPA player
Nomahsib plays in the APPA D4 division
Nomahsib is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Nomahsib is Legendary
Nomahsib is Boss
Nomahsib supports DLX Technology
Nomahsib supports Shocker RSX
It's by far the most comfortable pack I've worn. It fits so snug and doesn't bounce. Only issues I have had are the extra loops do not have velcro so they can get in the way if you are not using them. There have been some reviews of poor durability, but I've been using mine for a few months with no issues.
__________________
Bay Area Bad Company
Virtue Paintball - UNDR Industries - YourPbFriend - Midway Paintball
Nomahsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:37 AM #17
gretch6364
 
 
gretch6364's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver
 has been a member for 10 years
Has anyone tried to use the 165 Virtue PF pods on the inside/main section of this pack? I have the 3+4 and was contemplating carrying 3 of the 165s on the inner pack and 4 standard pods on the outer for long points.

I was just curious how they fit and how easy or hard they were to pull out.

Thank you.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:35 PM #18
tomc727
Doc
 
tomc727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chicagoland
tomc727 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
tomc727 plays in the APPA D5 division
tomc727 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
tomc727 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Has anyone tried to use the 165 Virtue PF pods on the inside/main section of this pack? I have the 3+4 and was contemplating carrying 3 of the 165s on the inner pack and 4 standard pods on the outer for long points.

I was just curious how they fit and how easy or hard they were to pull out.

Thank you.
I have the Race pack and carry all 165 Virtue pods. They fit great.
__________________
White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.

Planet Eclipse LV1
Planet Eclipse Geo 3.1
Planet Eclipse Aftershock 25th Anniversary 3.5
Planet Eclipse CS1
Bob Long Dragon G6R Intimidator
tomc727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:25 AM #19
SCizTheCaptain91
Ballin' since '98
 
SCizTheCaptain91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada.
SCizTheCaptain91 is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
SCizTheCaptain91 supports Empire
How different are the race compared to the NXe?
__________________
The two most powerful warriors are patience and time.

Leo Tolstoy
SCizTheCaptain91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump