PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-06-2012, 06:16 PM #1
Dynamopbers

has been a member for 10 years
"That which governs best governs least"

I'd like to see what the intelligent people of STs view on this statement is. Henry David Thoreau is believed to have said it first, Mr. Thomas Jefferson made it more famous (from what I read).

Do you agree? Disagree? Why or why not? What is "best", or what is an ideal society? (surely noone will say it is this... chaotic, ego ridden, animalistic, ungodly type we have instilled)

Personally:

Yes, this is statement is probably true

While looking it up, I found this:

"It is not true that that government is best which is best administered — it is a sophism invented by tyranny to quiet the inquisitive mind; a good administration is at best but a temporary palliative to a bad government, but it does not alter its nature."

-William Penn (whoever that old fart is)

so....dig in boys

Last edited by Dynamopbers : 12-06-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Dynamopbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2012, 06:51 PM #2
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamopbers View Post
Henry David Thoreau is believed to have said it first, Mr. Thomas Jefferson made it more famous (from what I read). -William Penn (whoever that old fart is)
Thoreau is a boss. Jefferson is a hack. William Penn is the Penn in Pennsylvania. Not much of a thinker though.

Quote:
Do you agree? Disagree? Why or why not? What is "best", or what is an ideal society? (surely noone will say it is this... chaotic, ego ridden, animalistic, ungodly type we
I'm gonna lean Aristotle when it comes to PolTheory. The government which governs best is that which governs with the best interests its citizens in mind instead of its rulers. The government which governs best strives for the common good.

I am at work and to be frank me and martian just has this discussion (in the hamas thread if interested) so I wanted to leave this here but I will probably drop out so others can make their arguments. I am interested in what some other people in this forum will say.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:07 PM #3
dub CRISP
tra la la la la la

True to a certain extent, obviously if the government doesn't do anything it's no good but you can't have them governing every aspect of the citizen's lives.

weanegro: its like a really tiny person eating a regular size gummy worm

HOW.THE.WORLS.SHOULD.WORK
"Originally posted by komodo-117: our beloved pharmacudical companies"
dub CRISP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 PM #4
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure

StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
I'd like to see what the intelligent people of STs view on this statement is. Henry David Thoreau is believed to have said it first, Mr. Thomas Jefferson made it more famous (from what I read).
Jefferson died like a decade after Thoreau was born, I think.
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
StellarKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 PM #5
Blake360

I agree, which is one of the main reasons why Obama is so terrible.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 PM #6
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub CRISP View Post
True to a certain extent, obviously if the government doesn't do anything it's no good but you can't have them governing every aspect of the citizen's lives.
England seems to be trying.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 PM #7
dub CRISP
tra la la la la la

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
England seems to be trying.
I didn't mean they literally can't. The DPRK is doing a pretty damn good job. It's just not an optimal governing system IMHO.

weanegro: its like a really tiny person eating a regular size gummy worm

HOW.THE.WORLS.SHOULD.WORK
"Originally posted by komodo-117: our beloved pharmacudical companies"
dub CRISP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM #8
Iamamartianchurch

I'm a little burnt out on the "role of government" topic. If you want my full and comprehensive opinion, look at my avatar.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:52 AM #9
Lazarusrat

Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Well when it comes to eviromental, worker, and public safety issues history has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Governing less is definately not the Governing best.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 AM #10
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarusrat View Post
Well when it comes to environmental, worker, and public safety issues history has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Governing less is definitely not the Governing best.
You, sir, do not get a cigar.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 PM #11
Lazarusrat

Quote:
You, sir, do not get a cigar.
Why do you say that?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 PM #12
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
History hasn't show that less government is worse, it has shown that when government doesn't do what it is supposed to do (what is has been charged with) then bad things happen.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:23 PM #13
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
History hasn't show that less government is worse, it has shown that when government doesn't do what it is supposed to do (what is has been charged with) then bad things happen.
Such as aiming for the common good, when the good is defined by the common?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 PM #14
kjjm4
Liberty or Death

kjjm4 is a founding member
kjjm4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kjjm4 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Well when it comes to eviromental, worker, and public safety issues history has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Governing less is definately not the Governing best.
Even in the case of pollution, governing to the least extent possible while protecting the rights of citizens is still best. There's no need for thousands of pages of Byzantine rules or massive bureaucracies to enforce them. Besides, pollution and safety issues boil down to personal and property rights at their core.
“A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
-Thomas Jefferson
kjjm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:16 AM #15
Blake360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Such as aiming for the common good, when the good is defined by the common?
Haha, that will only happen when you take money out of politics. Then the status quo politicians like obama and pals will be filtered out, and we'd be left with people who want to actually improve the country not for money and power, but because they actually care.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:12 PM #16
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
Haha, that will only happen when you take money out of politics. Then the status quo politicians like obama and pals will be filtered out, and we'd be left with people who want to actually improve the country not for money and power, but because they actually care.
I was asking a question. I'll rephrase.

Is government no longer doing its job when it lets the common good be defined by what the common man wants?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 PM #17
chodeyg
sprezzatura

no, its just become a rabble-rousing democracy
Old 12-10-2012, 07:46 PM #18
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure

StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Is government no longer doing its job when it lets the common good be defined by what the common man wants?
This question should really have an entire thread devoted to debate. Thoreau had quite a bit to say about this very idea (or rather, the utility of determining the wants of the masses).
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
StellarKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:14 PM #19
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKnight View Post
This question should really have an entire thread devoted to debate. Thoreau had quite a bit to say about this very idea (or rather, the utility of determining the wants of the masses).
Start it up!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:01 PM #20
Lazarusrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjm4 View Post
Even in the case of pollution, governing to the least extent possible while protecting the rights of citizens is still best. There's no need for thousands of pages of Byzantine rules or massive bureaucracies to enforce them. Besides, pollution and safety issues boil down to personal and property rights at their core.
Sorry I've been gone for a few days...

I would disagree with stand point on the grounds that even the most draconian EPA policies we currently have where not creatated in advance of disaster but as a result of one. Becuase disasters and mistakes have been made the federal government has had to constanly expand the scope of its governing to prevent similar disasters from occuring.

TLDR version... Governing least can not keep pace with our ever increasing ways of poisiong ourselves and our enviroment. Therefore Government has had to constantly expand the scope and size of its governing to keep up.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:42 PM #21
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Sorry I've been gone for a few days...

I would disagree with stand point on the grounds that even the most draconian EPA policies we currently have where not creatated in advance of disaster but as a result of one. Becuase disasters and mistakes have been made the federal government has had to constanly expand the scope of its governing to prevent similar disasters from occuring.

TLDR version... Governing least can not keep pace with our ever increasing ways of poisiong ourselves and our enviroment. Therefore Government has had to constantly expand the scope and size of its governing to keep up.
I think you hit the nail on the head without even knowing it. Scope and size. Right now, for our current form of government, we're to big... Blown way out of scope, do we have these problems. Someone in California doesn't know how to best farm in Missouri, not does someone in Connecticut best know how to X in new Mexico.