PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-11-2012, 11:11 AM #1
PhazedReality818

Tippmann CrossOver Review!!!!

hello all!

two sundays ago i have gotten to use and review the crossover. i was very pleasantly surprised by this marker. lets get in to it

here is our video review

Tippmann CrossOver Review Part 1. Shooting and Tests - YouTube

Tippmann CrossOver Review Part 2. Dissassembly and Thoughts - YouTube

What is a CrossOver?
its tippmann's first attempt to enter in to the tournament market. its their first marker thats in a speedball kind of shell that is of quality. *cough*gryphon*cough*

the CrossOver is for players who mainly play in the woods, but wants something that is tippmann reliable that can keep up with many higher end markers. Not a marker that is strictly for one genre of paintball or the other, but something in between.

lets get in to the pros and cons.

Cons :

- The trigger is insanely stiff. almost impossible to walk in mech mode
- The marker isn't the best looking or even close
- The stock barrel kind of sucks.
- The clamping feedneck is unnecessarily bulky
- The electronic board lacks options.(rampage better make one for it!)
- The eye system is kind of out dated.
- No on and off ASA
- Packaging was..... terrible...

Pros :
- It shoots ropes!!!! a damned nail gun! lol
- Its consistent
- Its efficient! (about 9 pods out of a 4k fill)
- It has eyes!!! (even if they are out dated)
- Can fire in mechanical mode without the use of batteries
- Smooth operation / little kick
- Hefty feel to it (personal preference)
- Internal gas line
- Ability to use your own regulator and ASA
- Surprisingly quiet
- Can use high output and low output tanks!!!!
- Selector switch is great, has a mechanical safety
- Easy to lube and maintain
- Feels like it can take a serious beating

Thoughts and Conclusion :

I was very pleasantly surprised by the crossover. it shot soooo much better than i expected. it can keep up with other mid range markers as far as performance and accuracy. although it was smooth shooting, it could be much much smoother. all i can say is that TechT better make an MRT bolt for this thing. we put more than 2000 rounds through the crossover of all kinds of paint. from marbs to walmart paint and didnt have a single break. another pleasant surprise is that the fps raised when we put a low output tank on it. our tank was giving out 450psi and the crossover had no shootdown. we didnt try our SLP reg on it because we ran out of air on that one by the time we got to the crossover. as being compared to other markers near the same price range, the Axe is better in almost every way, although the kick is almost identical. the eteks are better for finger walking and tourney play. it doesnt even compare to a drone as far as smoothness. but for what the crossover is, a marker that lets woodsballers keep up with speedballers while maintaining the tippmann toughness, a truly grey side marker, its great. i dont imagine this replacing anyone's axe, drone, etek, g4, etc... but i do imagine that some of the players who have these markers would feel comfortable with a crossover as a very strong and reliable backup marker for whenever its raining heavy, field is muddy, or just feel like abusing their marker like crazy or when their primary marker is having issues.

overall, i really like the crossover and i would recommend a few upgrades. first thing is to get a new damned barrel, good god did we see a difference when putting a null on it. and when a board comes out for it, that would be a must too. and if techt makes an mrt bolt for it, the marker would be incredibly smooth.

thats my thoughts on the CrossOver. i hope you enjoyed the videos and thank you for your time and attention. Peace be with you all.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2012, 12:49 PM #2
duddyflash
Pretty cool

duddyflash is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
duddyflash posts videos on PbNation

RIP Paintball Indiana
Gator Joes
duddyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:17 PM #3
caw88
Outlaw Woodsball

has been a member for 10 years
caw88 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
The aftermarket parts for this marker are going to be vast as with all other Tippmanns. I personally will buy a ape board (hopefully OLED). I liked your review but the only thing I would differ on you with is the crossover is loud. It may have been the short stock barrel but it barks worse than a phenom. Even with a 16 inch carbon fiber the pop was distinctly tippmann. I have had mine for about two weeks and really like the durability feel to the marker and the shooting is great. I can't wait to see what type of regulators, boards, barrels, bolts, feednecks, and more come out for this. To anyone who is on the fence...I would say try it, you will be suprised.
caw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:16 PM #4
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Rubbr Chickin is playing at Living Legends VI
Rubbr Chickin is playing at Living Legends VII
Rubbr Chickin supports Ninja Paintball
Rubbr Chickin supports Empire
Nice review!
Rubbr Chickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:55 PM #5
PhazedReality818

Thank you,

And yes, it is louder than most other spools but it was surprisingly quiet for a tippman. It isn't as quiet as a droid or a clone, but for a tippmann it surprised me.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 PM #6
SneakingSnacks

Great review, good to know it still has a "tippmann" sturdy feel to it. I was wanting to upgrade to a phenom but when i caught wind of the crossover coming out with similar internals i ordered one. I see this gun being just like an eletro phenom but with the possibility for aftermarket feeders and a smaller frame. It will be nice to be able to get tight to bunkers while playing woods ball.
SneakingSnacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:19 PM #7
PB_Giraffe

PB_Giraffe supports Ninja Paintball
PB_Giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote