Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 AM #1
soinlove23

best barrell upgrade for a-5?!?

my wifey is getting me a new barrell for xmas n not sure what barrell i want she wants to order it monday so i kinda need fast answers if possible , what would be the best barrell upgrade ,sum people told flatline is good but has alotta issues, some people tell me the only way to go is with a apex2 barrell , and i also heard tippmann sniper barrell is good , right now i have a tippmann a-5 response trigger with a cyclone feeder pretty much brand new only used it 3 times and im fine with the stock barrell but i do wanna upgrade ,so im just lookin for the bet barrell i can get to help my a5 get to the next level ,thankss
soinlove23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2012, 09:14 AM #2
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

has been a member for 10 years
Best barrel I've ever used is a Lapco. Probably the best made barrels on the market. J&J and CP also make great affordable barrels.
2000 Tropic Green CSVT #836/2150
XBL: RapDonkey
Style: Basic Math
Dyoel182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:42 PM #3
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Rubbr Chickin is playing at Living Legends VI
Rubbr Chickin supports Empire
J&J Ceramics are fantastic and wont break the bank. They have a really smooth bore so they "self clean" if you do happen to have a barrel break. Great for woodsball.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:16 PM #4
soinlove23

thnaks for the info i was looking at the lapco bigshot that was apex ready and they also have apex bigshots that come with a apex tip , is the lapco bigshot barrell and the apex 2 tip a good combo to go with??
Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM #5
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

has been a member for 10 years
A great combo. The Bigshot is one of the all time great barrels.
2000 Tropic Green CSVT #836/2150
XBL: RapDonkey
Style: Basic Math
Dyoel182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:48 PM #6
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Just thought you should know (not many people do) but J&J makes an APEX adapter tip for their barrels as well. Its like $20 or something like that.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 AM #7
soinlove23

i had a j&j ceramic barrell on my 98 custom n i loved it i only used it like 3 times then i sold all my old stuff last year, n got the newer a5 wit the response trigger and im in love with it, tbh i really dont mind the stock barrell at all, i only play woodsball and im yet to have any problems im just lookin for a little more distance, so what would be the best size barrell to go with i i heard from people i played wit u shouldnt go over 14 inches , so in ur guys opinion would 14 inch bigshot with apex 2 tip be the best combo i could go with , another way of goin i was thinkin was with a tippmann sniper barrel wat do u guys think of that
Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 AM #8
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tonycon supports our troops
tonycon is Legendary
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
You can't go wrong with any LAPCO barrel IMHO. J&J barrels are great as well. Do t waste the money on the Tippmann sniper barrel. I wouldn't recommend a barrel over 14"...I would suggest a LAPCO 12" apex ready big shot .688 bore...once you throw an apex on it it becomes a couple inches longer.

Proudly Sponsored By:
PBExplosion VirtueSpire Valken Paintball

KnuckleHeads Paintball Team
Game footage
tonycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:12 AM #9
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Once you attach an APEX 2 youll get another 3-4" on the tip of your barrel. Something to consider.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:15 AM #10
soinlove23

alright thanks i really appricate all the info as i post im lookin up more stuff , is there any sugested website u guys think i should order from??
Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 AM #11
soinlove23

im just a little confused on it like would i be ordering the lapco bigshot apex ready and then try to find a lapco branded apex 2 tip or would i be orderin the same apex2 tip that comes on the battle tested barrell?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 AM #12
soinlove23

also if i did go with a 12 inch n then dicided at sum point to take off the apex tip would the 12 inch barrel still be a good barrel or at that point would it b a little short
Old 11-26-2012, 08:38 AM #13
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

12" is fine, its a bit longer than the stock barrel.

The APEX 2 is the same. Some will come with a threaded insert that can be removed to out on your APEX-ready barrel.

Good places to order from would be eBay or paintball sites like ANSGear.com or HustlePaintball.com. Tippmannparts.com might have Bigshots as well, I know they carry JJ.

I think Mastersconi on eBay (he is a PBN user as well) sells APEX tips pretty cheap last I checked.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 AM #14
soinlove23

alright thanks for the info u said it should be a .688 ?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 AM #15
soinlove23

also yo is there a difference in the apex and apex 2 tip cause a friend of mine has a apex 2 battle tested barrel , but all i see for the lapco bigshot is just the apex not the apex 2
Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 AM #16
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Im not one to be picky with my bores.

The APEX 2 is longer, thinner and looks better. They mount on the barrel about the same. Usually APEX 2 tips come with the threaded insert but it can be removed to share the same mount as the original APEX. They are basically the same thing in a different shell.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 AM #17
soinlove23

so what would be the best way to go is go with the bigshot barrel by itself and then order the apex 2 by it self insted of getting the bigshot barrel wit the apex 1 tip already on it
Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 AM #18
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Whatever you decide. Like I said they perform about the same so its purely down to cosmetics. I personally like the look of the APEX 2.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:58 AM #19
soinlove23

yeah i heard ya i think the apex 2 would give my a5 a smoother look so 12 inch lapco bigshot barrel and then a apex 2 tip it is , n then final question most the barrel bore size i see is .690 is that good to go with or should i be lookin for a xact size other then that
Old 11-26-2012, 10:02 AM #20
soinlove23

also to add to that i wont need an adaptor right ? im goin to post a link of the full setup i was lookin at n just let me no if im good , im asummeing if the bigshot says apex ready i dont need adaptor